AI19 Top 5 Themes

Idol Maniac

Yeah Im glad more contestants are going to get   a single this year compared to years past but I wish we had more themes that revolved around the discographies of certain artists like Coldplay.

Grace said one of her influences is Xtina in a Billboard interview last week, so part of me is wondering if she will sing one of her more up-tempo songs since she sang 2 ballads this week? 

Edited by m1key

3 hours ago, m1key said:

Grace said one of her influences is Xtina in a Billboard interview last week, so part of me is wondering if she will sing one of her more up-tempo songs since she sang 2 ballads this week? 

You mean Christina?

41 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Why would clearing Nirvana be difficult? It’s been sung in multiple shows.

Their songs are very rarely cleared for shows like this in the US and Canada. It’s easier on shows in the UK and Australia because their copyright laws are different.

30 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Their songs are very rarely cleared for shows like this in the US and Canada. It’s easier on shows in the UK and Australia because their copyright laws are different.

Rockstar INXS and Supernova had contestants sing Nirvana nearly every week.

The Voice US didn’t have a problem either.

Edited by AngelaKD

10 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Rockstar INXS and Supernova had contestants sing Nirvana nearly every week.

I’m aware, hence why I said they’re rarely cleared.

That said, the two Rockstar seasons aired over a decade ago and there were musicians involved on the show who had personal relationships with Dave Grohl. (And I also just realized Mark Burnett was the producer on Rockstar and The Voice, so maybe that’s a contributing factor to for whatever reason.)

But several Idol contestants have mentioned wanting to sing either Nirvana or Foo Fighters, and not receiving clearance. (One notable example is David Cook wanting to do My Hero for Top 8 week and not getting the song cleared in time.) That’s why they made such a big ordeal over Casey (Abrams) finally receiving clearance in S10, and even then, the song was cleared for one time usage.

I’m not saying there’s a 0% chance for Casey (Bishop) to be able to do Nirvana if she wanted. I just pointed out that it has more difficulties than other rock bands from the 90s.

Edited by Elliott