Contestants who actually BENEFITTED from being on the Voice

HelenaHandbasket

It’s common knowledge that The Voice is not an automatic ticket to stardom (or even a record deal worth anything). 

The show even started saying so themselves and began promoting the experience, promotional, and educational aspects of being on the show. 

I have also seen interviews where artists have said they downplay or try to outright distance themselves from the show completely. Jeffrey Austin from S9 said there was a stigma among some promoters and venues. Chloe even changed her stage name. 

Does anyone know of contestants that directly benefitted from their time on the show? I can think of a few but I would be interested in hearing whats others think. 

If no one wants to go first I think Barrett Baber really capitalized on the extra exposure. He was a marketing machine during the course of the show and hasn’t shied away from connections with it (often has fellow alumni playing gigs with him)

it doesn’t hurt that he is country and that demographic seems less dismissive of reality shows it seems. 

Todd Tilghman, who had never had any performing experience outside of church, is now doing a concert residency at Pigeon Forge, TN, where he's been performing 3-4 times a week since July (the residency was already extended to October due to popular demand) while recording for his debut record on Nashville. He has also been working with his wife and an author on writing a book about his family, and they are shooting for a 2021 release date. He has also been asked to be part of a pitch for a family-centered reality show, but honestly I'm not getting my hopes up too high on that happening.

I truly think none of that would have happened if he hadn't been coaxed into doing his audition at Atlanta.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, HelenaHandbasket said:

If no one wants to go first I think Barrett Baber really capitalized on the extra exposure. He was a marketing machine during the course of the show and hasn’t shied away from connections with it (often has fellow alumni playing gigs with him)

it doesn’t hurt that he is country and that demographic seems less dismissive of reality shows it seems. 

Here's a good article about how he used The Voice to his advantage.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2018/08/10/how-barrett-baber-leveraged-the-voice-to-get-six-figure-endorsements-as-an-independent-artist/

Since then he has been signed on as a songwriter for Sony ATV Nashville and had a cut on Cody Johnson's most recent record.

And you are right about him not shying away from his connection on the show. He even has a S13 Voice alum work for him in his band. 

Edited by mjdolorico

Winners who were/are much better spot post-show compared to pre-show?

Cassadee Pope

Danielle Bradbery

Sawyer Fredericks 

Jordan Smith

Brynn Cartelli  

Chevel Shepherd 

It’s probably too soon, but I’ll add Todd Tilghman, since he seems to be taking advantage of some opportunities during a difficult time. We need more time to judge his career trajectory, but I’ll give him credit for not just sitting around, waiting for a vaccine. 

Others still have time to make something happen, so the list has potential to expand. Of course, they all cashed a $100K check.  

Needless to say, I’m disappointed in the lack of effort I see from a lot of contestants, after the show, including many of my favorites (including one on the list above).

Non winners:

Melanie Martinez 

Koryn Hawthorne

Morgan Wallen  

I’m sure I’m missing some who’ve taken advantage of their appearance on the show, in some ways. The question is somewhat subjective. 

Edited by TeamAudra

12 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Of course, they all cashed a $100K check.  

Melanie Martinez 

the earlier contestants also had iTunes download money (back when downloads counted as votes). Sawyer and Jordan probably saw tens of thousands of dollars extra even if they only made a few pennies of each sale. 

Personally I cant stand MM (mainly because I find her Crybaby schtick kind of gross/cringe) but she really is great at marketing and image. I thought she really didnt want the Voice connection though (even though it probably did help with exposure to new fans)

3 minutes ago, HelenaHandbasket said:

the earlier contestants also had iTunes download money (back when downloads counted as votes). Sawyer and Jordan probably saw tens of thousands of dollars extra even if they only made a few pennies of each sale. 

Personally I cant stand MM (mainly because I find her Crybaby schtick kind of gross/cringe) but she really is great at marketing and image. I thought she really didnt want the Voice connection though (even though it probably did help with exposure to new fans)

I don’t care for Melanie either, but I tried to be as objective as possible. She belongs on the list .I left most of my favorites off, and honestly, it’s difficult to come up with a handful of names after 18 seasons. 

Edited by TeamAudra

Winners

1- Cassade Pope

2- Danielle Bradbery

3- Jordan Smith

4- Sawyer Fredericks

5- Josh Kaufman

6- Todd Tilgman

7- Brynn Cartelli

Non-winners

1- Morgan Wallen

2- Melanie Martinez

3- Loren Allred

4- Raelynn

5- Kameron Marlowe

6- Koryn Hawthorne

7- The Swon Brothers

Edited by Zainab Tufail
  • Like 1

Jordan and Sawyer released some beautiful music but I'm surprised  they didn't get the recognition they deserve. I mean Jordan's Only Love is one of my fav songs ever . His other songs for example Stand In The Light and Settle are also very inspiring. Ashes , the song which Celine Dion sang is also written by Jordan but he isn't getting all the recognition he deserves.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Zainab Tufail said:

3- Loren Allred

I was gonna say Loren but I was beat to it! Loren really has thrived because of her exposure on the Voice. While Loren may never be an A List musical star, what she is now is a singer who makes a more than comfortable living. She tours with famous musician David Foster, (Fun Fact: married to Kathrine McPhee from American Idol too!), and is featured several times on his most recent album and sings at event after event for large organizations. And her Knockout was credited as a large reason why she was picked for her getting to sing Never Enough. I also would like nominate Kathrine Ho kinda? She sings Yellow by Coldplay in Mandarin in Crazy Rich Asians and now has a solid career as a bilingual singer, but I feel this might have happened in regardless of her appearance on The Voice, not because of it

Edited by thevoiceswimmer

Matt McAndrew is now the lead singer for a hard rock band called Slaves. They just put out an album and he did an interview where he was effusive with praise for the Voice, despite his Post-show label misadventures.

He even mentioned that when the band was trying to decide whether to offer him the gig (the previous front man left the group for drug rehab), they listened to his Voice YT videos.

• Like 2

Chris Mann.

His label deal didn’t do much, but I don’t think he would have gotten a PBS show or the Phantom touring gig without the Voice exposure. And now he’s the prince of Covid parodies (Randy Rainbow is the King!)

Edited by AngelaKD

2 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

Matt McAndrew is now the lead singer for a hard rock band called Slaves. They just put out an album and he did an interview where he was effusive with praise for the Voice, despite his Post-show label misadventures.

He even mentioned that when the band was trying to decide whether to offer him the gig (the previous front man left the group for drug rehab), they listened to his Voice YT videos.

Cool! I think that most contestants DO get alot out of the show (especially those with less pro experience).