Tom and Andy's Music Lists Extravaganza

#jeah

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CHARLI XCX - ANDY'S TOP 40 SONGS

10. What I Like (from True Romance)

An OG favorite of mine! This has always remained a top favorite of mine from Charli and more than earns its spot in my top 10. It's incredibly fun! The chorus is ridiculously catchy. The verses are bubblegum singalong fun. I love the beat, with the cymbals throughout the verses (the talk-singing is fun there too), then the pre-chorus slows down and her auto-tune is on full force. The second verse towards the end is my favorite part: "This shit is super wild, this shit is super cool, this shit is kinda gangster, I think I'm into you..." :bobo: Yeah, this is just effervescent Charli at her best!

9. Cross You Out - feat. Sky Ferreira (from Charli)

Ooh, this one's a fun one for me. It's no secret I am a huuuuuuuuge Sky Ferreira fan. Sky Ferreira fans are ALWAYS thirsty for any new music we can get from her, so I was eagerly anticipating this song. When it came out, I was a tad....whelmed. Like, Sky felt a little underutilized to me. I then proceeded to listen to it like twenty times in a row because new Sky music...and then I became obsessed and it is now one of my favorites from Charli. There's a lot going on musically here. Suuuuper deep bass, industrial beats with sparkling 80s synths and metallic instrumental sounds in the background all combine to make a really consistent, hard hitting sound that stays pretty even throughout the song. Combine that with Charli's almost angsty vocal performance and Sky's hushed, reserved turn here....it's a lot to digest. And I mean that in the best way possible. Of course, it's all anchored by a really strong chorus that sticks in your head and STAYS THERE for HOURS. Yeah, this is a special track.

8. Unlock It - feat. Kim Petras and Jay Park (from Pop 2)

Another instant favorite of mine. In another world this would be a huge radio hit, I mean this is extremely accessible but still oh so Charli. The chorus is super infectious. It's bubblegum to the core. The features both do their thing here - Kim is more memorable in Click imo but she still shines here. I know a lot of people don't like Jay Park's verse here but imo it adds a much needed masculine dimension to the song that I think fleshes it out even further. At the end of the day....this is just incredibly catchy. A perfect song to drive to or to play while out with your friends. And the outro is great, the song ends gracefully. Love this!

7. 7 years (from how i'm feeling now)

FLAWLESS song. I mean, this is soooooo ridiculously catchy. I know I say that about all of my favorite Charli songs but this one just sticks in your head and STAYS there. "I know that look inside my eyes screams ALWAYS...even if we fall apart split TWO WAYS...." it just hits in all the right places. The lyrics are adorable. The melody is all over the place in the best way possible. it's like candy to the ears. And again, like all the best Charli songs, the ending is fantastic. The production on this whole album was super impressive and this is easily one of the standouts.

6. Take My Hand (from True Romance)

This song is like Grins, in that it transports me to another place every time I hear it. It reminds me of those college nights where you go to like 8 house parties in one night and it's just a beautiful, chaotic blur from a very specific time in your life. :haha: Incredibly upbeat, catchy, and fun, but there's this melancholy and nostalgic undercurrent that makes this song stand out to me. I think my favorite part of the whole song, besides the chaotic beat and instrumentals, is the second verse where she's basically talking over a distorter of some sort. That juxtaposed with the really melodic parts of the rest of the song makes this really unique and memorable imo. This has rivaled my top 5 for sure, and there was definitely a point where this was my #1 Charli song...but yeah here it lands at #6. :haha: 

5. forever (from how i'm feeling now)

Whew, what a song. I can see this finding its way to #1 for me eventually...there's a lot going on. The almost under-produced verses lead into a really emotionally resonant chorus with the very simple phrase "I will always love you...I'll love you forever." And then the song progresses from there and does like 1000 different things during its 4 minute run time. The song ultimately progresses into a GORGEOUS and climactic outro, full of swirling synths and other instrumentals, all punctuated by a singular message "you'll stay on the front of my mind." This song is a journey, that's for sure. And it's done so brilliantly. Definitely one of Charli's finest songs.

4. Track 10 (from Pop 2)

Wow, what to even say about this song. Another song that could easily be #1 for me. This is one of the weirdest pop songs I've heard, but make no mistake - this is pop perfection. Is it catchy? Parts of it are. Is it memorable? 100%. Like forever, Charli does like 500 different things in this song and it somehow all comes together to make a cohesive masterpiece. The angelic vocals in the background, the distorted organ-like instruments, the slow build up from the start that builds into Charli screaming in autotune. It's all so good. My favorite part is in the beginning of the climax where she sings "Sorry I blaaaaaaaame it on your love..." and then everything just stops for a bit with the babbling baby noises, turning into the Bjork-esque synthesized strings or whatever. It's so good! And then the real climax at the end is perfect. Ugh, now I'm just kind of rambling. Anyways, this song imo is a perfect representation of Charli's artistry and I want to see her making more songs like this.....whatever this is. This is so much better than the Lizzo rework from Charli, sorry not sorry.

3. Next Level Charli (from Charli)

I remember I was stoned when I first heard this song. :haha: My mind was absolutely blown. This is a really short song and is totally meant as an intro for this album....but imo it is the greatest part of the album, and one of Charli's finest songs to date. I know she said that this song is an anthem dedicated to her fans, and I can see what she means by this. This is fan service to the max - a total bop that is meant for blasting in the speakers of your car while driving around town. It starts at an 100 and ends at an 100. It's 2 minutes and 37 seconds of pure bliss tbh. If you're annoyed with the kind of music Charli makes, chances are you will probably NOT like this song. But if you're already a fan of Charli XCX, you will probably love this song. It's euphoric, fun, catchy, immediate, in your face, pure ecstasy imo. It's a fleeting slice of pop heaven.

2. Stay Away (from True Romance)

Absolutely gorgeous song on so many levels. It's pretty dark but still very pop. First, I think the lyrics here are among her best. Pretty straightforward story about a relationship that was doomed from the start, but she went through with it anyway. And now that it's over, she wants to keep the person AND the memories as far away from her as possible. There's a really dark, gothy, 80s/early 90s feel to the music and production that compliments these lyrics perfectly. Like this is one of those songs that could have come out in 1987 and topped the charts for weeks. Her vocal delivery here is really strong, I like that (compared to many of her other songs) the autotune is relatively minimal and tasteful. That's not to say there isn't autotune, but that's always been Charli's brand. The verses are haunting, chorus is beautiful, and the bridge ties things up nicely... but the post-chorus steals the show (when she's yelling out STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!). Yeah, this has always consistently stayed at the top of my list of favorite Charli songs and it would have been number one if she hadn't have slayed with her new album! Which leads me to #1....

1. party 4 u (from how i'm feeling now)

This is peak Charli. This represents her music thus far perfectly imo. Lyrically, this is quintessential Charli. It's about her throwing a huge party, but doing it all just so one person will show up for her. It's super tragic and also romantic, which is totally my thing. It's kind of upbeat? But it's also super nostalgic sounding and quite sad, with the sparse production in parts (at the beginning) fitting the vibe. And like all the best Charli songs, party 4 u has the most epic build-up...but unlike, say, Track 10 or forever, the climax is super short lived and drops back to the slower pace that the song started out with after less than a minute. Honestly this song should have closed out the album because it has that feeling of being at the end of a really long night, getting drunk and going out and being sad. :haha: It's kind of ironic that this song is off of her album that was produced during quarantine - it, again, feels like a song you play after a night out. But I think that's what makes the song so magical imo, it captures that feeling of longing and loneliness that accompanies night time. But it's still got that euphoric feeling. Idk, I'm rambling again. I just think this is a really well-produced song and I knew after the first time I heard it that it would be one of my favorite songs by her. And it quickly became my number one!!! ❤️ My favorite part would definitely have to be the climax/bridge when she sings "All I'm thinking, all I know, is that I hope you knock on my door, nervous energy, my heart rate rises higher and higher yeah...." but the second verse also slays when she sings "you could watch me pull up on your body like it's summer, take my clothes off in the water, splash around and get you blessed like holy water..." she spits those words out so quickly! Uhh ok I'm done! Yay Charli!

---

Party 4 U -

Stay Away -

Next Level Charli -

Track 10 -

Forever -

Take My Hand -

7 Years -

Unlock It -

Cross You Out -

What I Like -

Edited by #jeah

Gone - I only know Christine and the Queens because of this song. Not a top fave but it's solid/has a good beat. 

Backseat - A gay millennial indie pop fan's wet dream...hmmm...certainly not my dream collaboration. I love the outro but I didn't love the rest as much. 

I Finally Understand - Yessssss. This one didn't need to grow on me, I loved it right from the start and it's my favorite from how i'm feeling now. 

2099 - Yeah I like Charli's parts much better than Troye's as well. 

SuperLove - Ehhh, no thanks. 

You're the One - I'm not sure I've heard this one from her before but I really like it! 

I Got It - Did I stumble on a Wally list? Who is this Brooke Candy? She is annoying on first impression. The I got it chorus is also annoying. As are cupcaKke's verses! A 0/10, sorry Andy!

Grins - I loved the dreamy beginning and the upbeat part as well! I want to listen to this one again. :yes: 

I Love It - TOO LOW! I love this one so much and only really know Icona Pop because of it. 

Enemy - One of my faves from how i'm feeling now. 

1 hour ago, ~Tom~ said:

Gone - I only know Christine and the Queens because of this song. Not a top fave but it's solid/has a good beat. 

Backseat - A gay millennial indie pop fan's wet dream...hmmm...certainly not my dream collaboration. I love the outro but I didn't love the rest as much. 

I Finally Understand - Yessssss. This one didn't need to grow on me, I loved it right from the start and it's my favorite from how i'm feeling now. 

2099 - Yeah I like Charli's parts much better than Troye's as well. 

SuperLove - Ehhh, no thanks. 

You're the One - I'm not sure I've heard this one from her before but I really like it! 

I Got It - Did I stumble on a Wally list? Who is this Brooke Candy? She is annoying on first impression. The I got it chorus is also annoying. As are cupcaKke's verses! A 0/10, sorry Andy!

Grins - I loved the dreamy beginning and the upbeat part as well! I want to listen to this one again. :yes: 

I Love It - TOO LOW! I love this one so much and only really know Icona Pop because of it. 

Enemy - One of my faves from how i'm feeling now. 

Gone - You might like Christine! She's got some great songs, Chris likes her too I believe

Backseat - Uhhh gurl where have you been, Charli and Carly are like #1 and #2 in the gay world atm :haha: 

I Finally Understand - Yess I knew you love this :wub: 

2099 - Agreed. Still love his addition to the song though!

SuperLove - Aww shame, this is a bop

You're The One - Yay! It's a great song.

I Got It - I will not respond to this slander!

Grins - Yayyy, I'm wishing I ranked this higher tbh

I Love It - Woah I'm shocked you love this song!

Enemy - :wub: 

1 hour ago, QueenKalie said:

I don't know any of these songs so I can't really respond. Although that never really stopped me from shading Beach House but meh.

You don't know I Love It or Fancy? 😮 

Party 4 U - Lyrically I love it! Not as much melody-wise but still a solid #1. 

Stay Away - Dark and gorgeous! I liked this. 

Next Level Charli - I can't decide whether I love this or find it annoying. 😐  Like it's catchy but I wish it ended sooner.

Track 10 - This one is also a nice combination of sweet and synth-y! Will have to relisten because I like it. 

Forever - I love this one, sweet and synth-y at the same time. It would make a fine #1 choice!

Take My Hand - I liked Grins better but I like the techno feel of this one too.

7 Years - Not a top fave from the album but it is very catchy!

Unlock It - Decent but Kim's latest songs and features have been disappointing overall 

Cross You Out - What is it with you and needing to listen to Sky's songs over and over again to like them? :giggle: Like most songs with Sky on them this ok but not very accessible, I only really like Obsession from Sky. Also too repetitive for me. 

What I Like - Hmm, hearing this song for the first time, adding a Don't between the words I and Like would describe my thoughts nicely! Jk it's decent but kind of monotonous for me. 

Great list! I Love It was robbed! highasakite has barely over 50 songs in total so I'm probably going to rank my top 20 or so faves from her if I settle on her

On 8/3/2020 at 11:30 PM, #jeah said:

Glad you enjoyed Silver Cross, Dream Glow, ILY2, February 2017, Fancy. :wub: Yaeji is someone you probably wouldn't like. :haha: Agreed on Doing It that Rita isn't the best feature choice but the song itself is great imo.

Oh yeah I remember cutting her from music because I found this song of hers too annoying and repetitive:

No regrets. :giggle: 

Tom Introduces Highasakite!

haak-fb.jpg

Due to the pandemic, I've used the time to discover more music on YouTub and Spotify, and one of the artists I've found is Highasakite. They are an indie pop and indie rock band originating from Norway, which has some of the best indie music, and I love their pop sound too (singers like Lene Marlin and Annie for starters). Highisakite is a perfect marriage of the two. They formed when vocalist and songwriter Ingrid Helene Håvik (also the lady in my avatar!) met drummer Trond Bersu whilst studying jazz at the Trondheim Jazz Conservatory.The duo started working on their debut album in 2010 after just six months together. The album All That Floats Will Rain was released in 2012, and it was an immediate commercial success for them.

Their first album called All That Floats Will Rain they were still finding their footing so I'll mostly skip talking about it. 

Their second album, called Silent Treatment, however, hit number one and spent 108 (!) weeks on the Norwegian chart. Highasakite won the "Pop Group of the Year Award" at the Norwegian equivalent of the Grammy Awards, for the album as well.

Camp Echo, their third album, is a little more electropop and I prefer Silent Treatment overall as a result. One of the two songs that is on it is one of my top favorites, so it's definitely one of those cases where one amazing song elevates the album.

Their 4th album, Uranium Heart, was made after the band went down to two members Ingrid Helene Håvik (singer) and Trond Bersu (drummer). It has a more intimate, even folksy sound, with Uranium Heart and second part of Mexico being the clearest examples of this. The lyrical content is darker as well.

In 2019, in addition to Uranium Heart, Ingrid and Trond released a two part mini-album called The Bare Romantic. Every song on part I is amazing, and while I don't love part II as much, it is still a solid EP with one song I at least really like. 

Overall if I had to a ranking it would go:

1. The Bare Romantic - Part I

2. Uranium Heart

3. Silent Treatment

4. Camp Echo

5. The Bare Romantic - Part Ii

6. All That Floats Will Rain

Now onto my favorite songs of theirs. Rather than do a set number I ddecded to rank all the ones that I thought were worthy of a list and that numbr turned out to be 17. 

17. Highasakite - Iran

Silent Treatment has several songs with bizarre lyrics on it. This one talks about her going to Iran, befriending a married man and getting her hands chopped off as punishment. Of all the possible vacations to do, lol. Wouldn't it be amazing to hear what the Ayatollah thought of this song? Probably not for Ingrid, lol. Anyway I love that the arrangement is a touch exotic, but the story and Iran verse is what gets the song just on my list of favorites.

16. Highasakite - Since Last Wednesday 

Ingrid continues her left-of-center song themes on Silent Treatment, singing about about this man would never graffiti or spray paint a house or bring a weapon home intending to use it, but that's what he did, otherwise why has he gone missing? It's a mid-tempo and kind of repetitive but the lyrics are what take me back to this one.

15. Highasakite - Under the Sun

This song just sounds like it belongs in a movie soundtrack, and lo and behold it is in a disaster movie that did pretty well in Norway. Beautiful harmonies.

14. Highasakite - Science and Blood Tests

Ingrid's voice shines on those high notes here, and the arrangement reminds me of something one of my other favorite Norwegian singers, Susanne Sundfor would do. 

13. Highasakite - Golden Ticket

This is one of her poppier singles but it's excellent. 

12. Highasakite - I Call Bullshit

Another one of her wierder songs lyrically but the way her accent pronounces certain words here is so cute and 

11. Highasakite - 5 million miles

5 million miles showcases Ingrid's tone beautifully, and another cute stroy from her: she's had a million affairs but she's finally found the man she'd walk 5 million miles for. 

17. Highasakite - Iran -

16. Highasakite - Since Last Wednesday - 

15. Highasakite - Under the Sun -

14. Highasakite - Science and Blood Tests -

12. Highasakite - I Call Bullshit -

11. Highasakite - 5 million miles - 

Edited by ~Tom~

48 minutes ago, NGM said:

I never even got a ping for this?

giphy.gif

I was gonna let you know when I did my Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree post. :haha: 

In the meantime though, check out the magnificent Highasakite! Shades of Suzanne and don’t they have the best name? 

52 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Leaving this here in case @~Tom~ hasn't seen it. :giggle:

I first thought that Halestorm had collaborated with Icky or something based on the giggle, but thanks for this! Halestorm and Amy Lee. :wub: Haunting and beautiful. :wub::wub: 

Edited by ~Tom~

17. Highasakite - Iran - Love the beginning of this! It's got a haunting feel that I enjoy and it gets weirder as the 
song progresses.

16. Highasakite - Since Last Wednesday - This is alright, doesn't stick out to me but interesting lyrically. 
The video is weird too haha

15. Highasakite - Under the Sun - This is a very pretty song. Me gusta! It takes a while to build up but it's worth it. 

14. Highasakite - Science and Blood Tests - Ooh I see you mention Susanne, and I am INTRIGUED. Ooh yes they really know 
how to create a gorgeous build-up. Great pay-off at the end

13. Highasakite - Golden Ticket - I like the upbeat feel to this one. The synths in the chorus are super catchy.

12. Highasakite - I Call Bullshit - Yeah, her voice definitely does some cool things here and I like it. 
I like the slower verses and explosive chorus.

11. Highasakite - 5 million miles - Love the music to this, with the xylophone or whatever that is in the background. 
Super melodic song
Edited by #jeah

44 minutes ago, #jeah said:

Okay next set please don't do that weird formatting for the song names at the end :haha: 

It was force of habit from doing it with my old song lists but I guess that will die along with the old IDF. :haha: Glad you liked most of the songs! ❤️ 

11 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

It was force of habit from doing it with my old song lists but I guess that will die along with the old IDF. :haha: Glad you liked most of the songs! ❤️ 

:haha: Thanks! Yeah I think 5 million miles was my favorite.

10. Highasakite - Just A Small Quake

I love the booming orchestration/almost big band type of arrangement here, especially at the end. It's not in my top favorites because I feel due the lyrical content it could make an amazing stripped back piano arrangement but I still enjoy it and Ingrid's voice shines here.

9. Highasakite - Out of Order

Another song from the magnificent Uranium Heart, and while it's not my favorite song there or even single, and it's more pop than the other singles on it. Although why would be necessary to commit murder to keep your lover warm? This isn't perhistoric times or the Ice Age. Still it's cactchy and orchestration at the end is awesome.

8. Highasakite - Hail of Bullets

Another very pretty song from Ingrid! Also true to the dark lyrical content of Uranium Heart. I love how it starts out soft and then builds up to a slightly techno arrangement. 

7. Highasakite - Too Early

This is just beautiful and nostalgic. Another one of the many highlights from Uranium Heart.

6. Highasakite - Through Tunnels and Towns

The Bare Romantic Part 1 is an amazing EP of four songs, and this one is beautiful! The ukulele arrangement (I think?) throughout the track gives it a nostalgic feel like Too Early. Ingrid also dedicates the song to her son, how sweet. ❤️

5a. Highasakite - Mexico

It is also one of the rare songs I listen to not only for the song, but to watch the music video. It builds up to that powerful chorus around the three minute mark: Headed down to Mexico tonight, you just wouldn't let it go. Those hypnotic verses at the end of why is nobody there to come home are also worth a mention!

5b. Highasakite - Mexico, Pt. 2

It wouldn't be a Tom list without including two songs in one! Except this is a two-parter. The What if there's nobody there when you come home lines are so gorgeous! And they comprise almost the whole song, therefore the song is gorgeous.

4. Highasakite - Uranium Heart

First king of the DJs Alan Walker gave us a Diamond Heart, now here is a highasakaite with a Uranium Heart. I think diamond is harder though...The guitar orchestration is great throughout, as is the banjo at 2:48. Much as I love the chorus, the verses are what get me listening to it over and over again: There have been fireworks for long. But I was the only one to send it now I know at the beginning and at 2:28: Yeah, it's like walking on a treadmill on the road
Going nowhere, like a treadmill on the road. Both are so haunting and her accent is pronounced as well. ❤️ The fire away verses make for an ending I look forward to as well. 

3. Highasakite - Lover where do you live

This dark beautiful lullaby is my second favorite by them. If I ever see you again my love is my favorite verse out of any of her songs, especially at 3:54 to 3:59. 

2. Highasakite - Samurai Swords (acoustic)

Another song that reminds me of Queen Susanne Sundfor! This is due to the dark piano arrangement, which allows for emphasis on her voice and her accent is pronounced and beautiful here.

1. Highasakite - Can I Be Forgiven

My favorite song of hers is amother one from Part I of the Bare Romantic. The buildup from haunting to up-tempo is also great and something I look for in a song. The beginning and the end up where I start lyrics are my favorites and this is one of my favorites to listen to for the story of the song. She has made me mistakes and she is asking to be forgiven for the mistakes she is about to make in the future! Relatable tbh. 

Hopefully you all (well, Andy) enjoyed listening to her! 😄 This pandemic is good for discovering new artists. 

I wll finish off with this cover she did Bon Iver's Heavenly Father and the first song of hers I came across on YouTube. It's a cover so I didn't feel comfortable including in the actual list, plus it's not a big favorite but it's worthy of a mention for sure! Certainy better than the original. :yes: 

Heavenly Father - 

10. Highasakite - Just A Small Quake - 

9. Highasakite - Out of Order - 

8. Highasakite - Hail of Bullets - 

7. Highasakite - Too Early - 

6. Highasakite - Through Tunnels and Towns - 

5a. Highasakite - Mexico - 

5b. Highasakite - Mexico, Pt. 2 - 

4. Highasakite - Uranium Heart - 

3. Highasakite - Lover where do you live - 

2. Highasakite - Samurai Swords (acoustic) - 

1. Highasakite - Can I Be Forgiven -