Tom and Andy's Music Lists Extravaganza

#jeah

10. Highasakite - Just A Small Quake - This was cute, not a standout to me

9. Highasakite - Out of Order - I really liked this one. Parts of the chorus (esp in the first half) kind of remind me of a Bon Iver song for some reason, idk if that's weird.

8. Highasakite - Hail of Bullets - This one took awhile to get anywhere imo but I loved the ending, it was gorgeous

7. Highasakite - Too Early - Another one that takes awhile to build up but has a nice ending

6. Highasakite - Through Tunnels and Towns - I liked this one instantly! Super ethereal and she sounds incredible here

5a. Highasakite - Mexico - This one has a really booming chorus and seems like something that could do well on pop radio.

5b. Highasakite - Mexico, Pt. 2 - Lovely interlude

4. Highasakite - Uranium Heart - Okay, definitely my favorite so far, have you shown me this one before? Lots to love here...the guitar, the horns, the melody. It's beautiful!

3. Highasakite - Lover where do you live - Massive song, I have definitely heard this one before

2. Highasakite - Samurai Swords (acoustic) - I think I like the two above more, but this is still lovely. She has never sounded better!

1. Highasakite - Can I Be Forgiven - Great choice for #1. Really catchy, emotional, and powerful. Love it!

I think Uranium heart and Lover where do you live are my top 2 out of the ones you posted

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/14/2020 at 12:34 PM, #jeah said:

10. Highasakite - Just A Small Quake - This was cute, not a standout to me

9. Highasakite - Out of Order - I really liked this one. Parts of the chorus (esp in the first half) kind of remind me of a Bon Iver song for some reason, idk if that's weird.

8. Highasakite - Hail of Bullets - This one took awhile to get anywhere imo but I loved the ending, it was gorgeous

7. Highasakite - Too Early - Another one that takes awhile to build up but has a nice ending

6. Highasakite - Through Tunnels and Towns - I liked this one instantly! Super ethereal and she sounds incredible here

5a. Highasakite - Mexico - This one has a really booming chorus and seems like something that could do well on pop radio.

5b. Highasakite - Mexico, Pt. 2 - Lovely interlude

4. Highasakite - Uranium Heart - Okay, definitely my favorite so far, have you shown me this one before? Lots to love here...the guitar, the horns, the melody. It's beautiful!

3. Highasakite - Lover where do you live - Massive song, I have definitely heard this one before

2. Highasakite - Samurai Swords (acoustic) - I think I like the two above more, but this is still lovely. She has never sounded better!

1. Highasakite - Can I Be Forgiven - Great choice for #1. Really catchy, emotional, and powerful. Love it!

I think Uranium heart and Lover where do you live are my top 2 out of the ones you posted

9. Nope not at all she's kinda similar to him stylistically and first song I heard of hers was a cover of his, I posred that in the previous post too. :haha: 

4. I think I have, that and Lover where do you live. So of course they're your top two. 

2. Very true!

1. Yessss!

Edited by ~Tom~

Nice! I’m going to do an Angel Olsen tribute next in anticipation for her next album out in a couple weeks :wub: 

Still waiting for @Deeee’s thoughts on my Charli set. At least interested in what your favorite songs of hers are.

WEYES BLOOD: A TRIBUTE

d4b1a5ed49b0fd2863c80cce0b54cc35.gif

Weyes-Blood.jpg

---

Weyes Blood is the stage name for Los Angeles-based singer-songwriter Natalie Mering. Originally from Pennsylvania and the daughter of an evangelical Pentacostal (ooh look, me too!) pastor, Natalie began her career as a background band member for lots of noise music groups, first starting out in Portland, Oregon. Eventually, she began creating her own music under the stage moniker Weyes Blood - this is based off of Flannery O'Connor's 1952 dark comedy novel Wise Blood about a WWII veteran who abandons his faith and later begins an anti-religious ministry. Weyes Blood's music has evolved drastically over just a few albums and can be best described as grandiose, lush, and psychedelic. Her third album, Front Row Seat to Earth, was released in 2016 and garnered her critical acclaim and secured her a place among indie music's most promising acts. She followed that up with Titanic Rising, released just last year in 2019. This album catapulted her even further into the top of the indiesphere, garnering her even more acclaim from critics and fans. The album is gorgeous and epic, hearkening back to the many folk and pop artists of the 70s like Joni Mitchell and The Carpenters. 

I didn't really get into Weyes Blood until Titanic Rising came out last year, and even then it took a few listens for it to truly suck me in. Then it quickly became one of my favorite albums that year and got me into her 2016 album, which has grown on me immensely in its own right in the last year. I'll rank all the songs from both albums and share my thoughts on each one!

I'll start it later. :haha: 

WEYES BLOOD: A TRIBUTE - Ranking the songs from Front Row Seat to Earth (2016) + Titanic Rising (2019)

084883fd.jpg

WeyesBlood_TitanicRising.jpg

-----

19. Front Row Seat (from Front Row Seat to Earth)

The first of three interludes. I appreciate interludes for what they are but tbh usually prefer when albums don't have short, instrumental interludes because I usually just skip them. This is cool though, I like the aggressive piano and the strings and it's an apt way to close the album!

18. Nearer To Thee (from Titanic Rising)

Another interlude that closes out the album (does that mean it's still called an interlude?). I have to give this one credit for its similar instrumentals to the first song on the album, A Lot's Gonna Change. It's cool that she did that because it makes it that much easier to just play this album on loop tbh. :haha: 

17. Titanic Rising (from Titanic Rising)

I actually don't often skip this song! I have to give it credit...TR is a FANTASTIC interlude/build up to Movies, it flows into that track seamlessly. So I definitely think this is a rare case of an interlude truly serving its purpose imo. 

16. Can't Go Home (from Front Row Seat to Earth)

Sorry Tom :ph34rwave: I had no idea that this was one of your faves of hers! I like it, but it's easily my least favorite full track from these two albums. I really like the concept of it and I think it's gorgeous - it's very Imogen Heap. And the choral synths or whatever they are, they're gorgeous. Natalie sounds amazing here too. I think I would like it more if it had a bigger build up or had a change of pace, but it just kind of stays the same level throughout and I usually can't finish it. But I don't dislike this by any means.

15. Mirror Forever (from Titanic Rising)

Okay now I genuinely love all the songs left. :dead: This is a fantastic song, especially the opening with the lyric "No one's ever gonna give you a trophy, for all the pain and the things you've been through." Damn, she's not trying to make any friends :haha: Yeah, the chorus is really pretty and, I'm going to sound redundant, but this song builds up perfectly. Like Natalie really knows how to construct an epic song and this one is no exception. Love the second verse too, where she sings "You threw me out of the Garden of Eden..." I don't go to this one as often as most of the other songs on the album, as it's not QUITE as epic as the rest, but it's still a fantastic song.

14. Away Above (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

It is CRAZY to me that this song ranks 14th because I absolutely love it, but that's how much I live for these songs. Away Above starts out really slow and a bit boring, albeit pretty, but then the pretty 70s guitar kicks in and the dreaminess takes over. This is a total vibe with gorgeous vocals and lyrics. It feels like floating on clouds and I love it. I don't think this song needs some sort of epic climax or anything because it's perfectly smooth just the way it is. Great album closer (well besides Front Row Seat but I usually just end the album after this lol). It's this low simply because I think I like all the songs above it more - no major negatives!

13. Do You Need My Love (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

Definitely one of the more popular songs from FRSTE, but it's never been one of my favorites from that album. Having said that, this song is absolutely epic and massive. I think this might be her most "epic" song from FRSTE and I totally get it's appeal. It's towering and well-produced. I love the background vocals and sweeping instrumentals. The interlude/bridge/whatever in the second half is really cool and sets up the epic ending really well. I think the reason I don't connect with it as much as the ones above is because the melody isn't as catchy as many of her other songs. But overall, incredible song and it's actually grown on me a lot over time (it used to be like my least favorite of hers lol). ❤️ 

12. Be Free (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

Hmm, didn't know this was on Orange Is The New Black. Good for her! This one has grown on me IMMENSELY and I'm still loving it more as time goes on. At first I thought it was quite boring, but one day it just kind of clicked for me and I think this is absolutely gorgeous. Heartbreaking lyrics. The guitar here is really pretty and captures the sadness that is apparent in the lyrics. I loooove when she sings "it's just the two of us, and I want you to be free." Hits me in the feels every time! And her voice sounds more desperate as the song goes on which is cool. Yeah, love this one.

11. Wild Time (from Titanic Rising)

UGHHHH I can't believe this isn't in my top 10! This is an amazing, 10/10 song and really in any other album it would be an absolute standout of a song. Really great lyrics, very apocalyptic and sad but still hopeful...honestly fitting that this album came out the year before a major pandemic haha. But yeah I don't really know what to say about this, I feel like just listening to her songs is an experience and any sort of commentary on the songs doesn't do them justice. Love the second half of the song and the random little key change like RIGHT at the end is great, haha. This is an amazing song!

-----------

SONGS REMAINING:

Front Row Seat To Earth

Diary

Used to Be

Generation Why

Seven Words

Titanic Rising

A Lot's Gonna Change

Andromeda

Everyday

Something to Believe

Movies

Picture Me Better

---

19. Front Row Seat -

18. Nearer To Thee -

17. Titanic Rising -

16. Can't Go Home -

15. Mirror Forever -

14. Away Above -

13. Do You Need My Love -

12. Be Free -

11. Wild Time -

19. Front Row Seat - I am reminded of a classical piece listening to this. Not sure what it would be. Maybe Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu with a little guitar?

18. Nearer To Thee - If it closes an album, wouldn't it be called an outro? Anyway this is beautiful. Wish it went on for longer. 

17. Titanic Rising - This one is ok! Movies is definitely better. 

16. Can't Go Home - Too low! Haunting and beautiful. Also despite all the Imogen Heap-like songs I like, I only really know her few signature songs. Know any of her underrated gems?

15. Mirror Forever - Another haunting and gorgeous song, and I love the lyric you mentioned as well. :haha: 

14. Away Above - Ths one is okay. I couldn't get into it as much as the others. It should be below Can't Go Home and Mirror Forever. :yes: 

13. Do You Need My Love - I enjoy the buildup too! And I think the melody is beautiful. :haha: It wouldn't be in my top 5 because the song is a little overlong but it's still great. 

12. Be Free - Not quite as epic as DYNML but I really like this one too! Would definitely be in my top 10 if I made my top songs of hers. 

11. Wild Time - This is good but I feel the same way that you do about Can't Gome Home. It's gorgeous but it doesn't go anywhere for me. 

15 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

19. Front Row Seat - I am reminded of a classical piece listening to this. Not sure what it would be. Maybe Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu with a little guitar?

18. Nearer To Thee - If it closes an album, wouldn't it be called an outro? Anyway this is beautiful. Wish it went on for longer. 

17. Titanic Rising - This one is ok! Movies is definitely better. 

16. Can't Go Home - Too low! Haunting and beautiful. Also despite all the Imogen Heap-like songs I like, I only really know her few signature songs. Know any of her underrated gems?

15. Mirror Forever - Another haunting and gorgeous song, and I love the lyric you mentioned as well. :haha: 

14. Away Above - Ths one is okay. I couldn't get into it as much as the others. It should be below Can't Go Home and Mirror Forever. :yes: 

13. Do You Need My Love - I enjoy the buildup too! And I think the melody is beautiful. :haha: It wouldn't be in my top 5 because the song is a little overlong but it's still great. 

12. Be Free - Not quite as epic as DYNML but I really like this one too! Would definitely be in my top 10 if I made my top songs of hers. 

11. Wild Time - This is good but I feel the same way that you do about Can't Gome Home. It's gorgeous but it doesn't go anywhere for me. 

-Definitely classical, getting heavy Mozart vibes! (lmao jk I know nothing about classical music)

-YESSS I was having a brain fart, outro is the word I was looking for :haha: 

-Oh for sureeeee

-I'm in the same boat as you, I've never really delved into Imogen's music

-Agreed!

-Yeah, I recognize that Away Above isn't her most inventive or game-changing, but I just adore it fsr

-Yeah it could be better if it were a minute or two shorter, I agree

- Nice! It's close to my top 10 :haha: 

-Fair enough

WEYES BLOOD: A TRIBUTE - Ranking the songs from Front Row Seat to Earth (2016) + Titanic Rising (2019)

10. Used To Be (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

Lovely song. Starts out slow, but that soaring chorus really pushes this to great heights. Actually I think this song has a genius composition, the second verse is more intense than the first and then the song just kinda stays at a really high level through the end. The ending where she's singing "youuuuu uuuuuuused to beeeeeee the ooooone" is just great and ties this up nicely. 

9. Picture Me Better (from Titanic Rising)

An absolutely devastating song, this one has made me cry before actually while listening to it. It's about one of her friends who died by suicide several years back, and some of the lines here just pierce my heart. "Picture us better, we finally found a winter for your sweater" is genius and heartbreaking at the same time. The chorus is just the most gorgeous melody ever. Other lines that kill me: "If I could have seen you just once more, tell you how much you're adored, there's no point anymore" and "You got it all in spades, got a lot of dreams and songs to say, hearts to break..." Just a simple, yet beautiful song. I can't believe this is ranked at #9.

8. Seven Words (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

This song is ridiculously sad. Also incredibly gorgeous. I think lyrically it's one of her best songs, and this gives me major Beach House vibes throughout actually, especially in the second half. It sounds like something that could be directly off of Teen Dream. The guitars and organ-esque sounds are gorgeous here. The song kind of peaks in the middle with those emotionally charged guitars and Natalie's wailing vocals, and then the song kinda drops to a more chill level but does it gorgeously. This song had to grow on me a bit but clearly it has and I just adore it so much.

7. Something to Believe (from Titanic Rising)

Okay, now we are reaching songs that are in god-tier status. This is Karen Carpenter psychedelia realness and I love every second. From the opening line "Drank a lot of coffee today...." I am hooked. The chorus is magnificent and lush. The song starts on an upward trajectory and never goes down until the very end. The slide guitar in between choruses and verses is orgasmic (someone said this is George Harrison-esque and I can totally see that, this kind of reminds me of Something a little bit actually). Super epic song

6. Movies (from Titanic Rising)

The fact that this isn't in my top 5 is so insane to me, this song is just mesmerizing. I think it was actually my favorite from Titanic Rising for awhile when I was first getting into the album, but other songs have grown on me more (I think this song is a TAD too melodramatic compared to her others which is why it's not in my top 5). But technically, this is perfect. There are two clear halves to this song, the more subdued, electronic, slowed-down first half that sounds like she's singing underwater. Then the song opens up and the percussion kicks in and the starts belting out "IIIIIII WANNA BEEE THE STARRRRRRR" and it's just utter perfection. I can't really talk about this song too much because it speaks for itself, it's truly an experience. Also s/o to the amazing music video.

------------------

SONGS REMAINING:

Front Row Seat To Earth

Diary

Generation Why

Titanic Rising

A Lot's Gonna Change

Andromeda

Everyday

-----------------------

10. Used to Be -

9. Picture Me Better -

8. Seven Words -

7. Something to Believe -

6. Movies -

10. Used to Be - Nice, I'm not sure what she's saying in all of the second half. I'd say Can't Go Home or Mirror Forever should be top 10 over this. :giggle: 

9. Picture Me Better - I don't remember listening to this one before, but I love it! ❤️   I agree on the gorgeous melody, kind of Enya-like, and she sounds Karen Carpenter-like here as well! I will probably add it to my Spotify. 

8. Seven Words - Not one of my faves, it's doesn't stick out to me but I can see why it gives you Beach House vibes. 

7. Something to Believe - Love this one, I can see the Something similarity too. 

6. Movies - This should be #1. 😭 It reminds me of an Enya song in the first half, it's just so otherworldly and mesmerizing in the first half. Then the second half is epic. ❤️ 

23 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

10. Used to Be - Nice, I'm not sure what she's saying in all of the second half. I'd say Can't Go Home or Mirror Forever should be top 10 over this. :giggle: 

9. Picture Me Better - I don't remember listening to this one before, but I love it! ❤️   I agree on the gorgeous melody, kind of Enya-like, and she sounds Karen Carpenter-like here as well! I will probably add it to my Spotify. 

8. Seven Words - Not one of my faves, it's doesn't stick out to me but I can see why it gives you Beach House vibes. 

7. Something to Believe - Love this one, I can see the Something similarity too. 

6. Movies - This should be #1. 😭 It reminds me of an Enya song in the first half, it's just so otherworldly and mesmerizing in the first half. Then the second half is epic. ❤️ 

10. Yeah I'm not really sure either haha. Blehhh obviously I disagree but all of these songs are A+! :haha: 

9. Aww glad you like this one! Honestly part of me thinks I should have ranked this higher, it's so gorgeous.

8. That's fair. At least you can see the BH comparisons!

7. Glad you see that too haha I was wondering if I was just making that up!

6. Aww for sure this is a fan favorite of hers. It's beautiful and unique and a standout for her. I just currently prefer the 5 above it!

5. A Lot's Gonna Change (from Titanic Rising)

The perfect album opener if I've ever heard one - it sets the tone for this sad, sweeping, apocalyptic themed album perfectly. This song tells the all-too relatable story of someone who's caught in nostalgia but needs to remind themselves that their life is ever changing, and the only way to move forward is to just leave the past behind and keep moving forward. A very apt message to me personally as well as a very timely theme in these current days...we are going through some really tough times as a human race and all we can do is press forward and keep fighting for positive changes. #inspirationalshit As for the music itself, this is absolutely gorgeous, with the piano at the beginning introducing Natalie's GORGEOUS vocals here. The chorus is one of her best to date, especially the second time when she sings "Cause you've got what it takes in your liiiife...tiiiime, try to leave it all behiiiiind, in your life...tiiiiime." So great. So powerful. And when she sings over a hushed piano "Let me change my words, show me where it hurts......" the perfect ending. This is a quintessential Weyes Blood song if I've ever heard one. I also noticed how short this song feels. It's over four minutes but honestly feels like a 2-minute song to me every time I hear it. Yeah, this is just a fantastic and gorgeous song that sets the tone for an epic album. ❤️ 

4. Generation Why (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

This song leaves me speechless every time I hear it. I guess I like arpeggio guitar a lot because that repeating chord progression throughout the beginning song is just pure ecstasy to me, as well as the gorgeous hums that introduce the song. The vocal melody from start to finish is divine. The theme of the song is great too, definitely another apt song to be listening to during quarantine season. There's just something really calming and comforting about this song, I feel really relaxed and at peace when I listen to this. It's a bit slow for 2/3 of the song, but I'm not bored at all throughout and it makes the ending even that much more special. It kinda climaxes into this glorious "Y-O-L-O" being repeated throughout with Natalie singing her gorgeous riffs over and under all the instrumentation going on. This is another song that kinda reminds me of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek in some ways, but obviously bigger and grander and more epic imo. In conclusion: this is what the ascension to heaven probably feels like. :haha: 

3. Everyday (from Titanic Rising)

If I'm being completely honest, this top 3 is dead even and any of these songs could make a strong case for being #1. Everyday is an absolute masterpiece and a relatively unique anomaly in Weyes Blood's discography - it's upbeat and punchy and sounds like a #1 hit from the early 70s. It achieves a rare feat of wearing its influences on its sleeve (The Carpenters, The Beatles, The Mamas and the Papas etc) while still being wholly unique and of its time. The chord progression here is really fun; I learned to play this on the guitar and it's upbeat and catchy but still really Weyes-Bloody (it's a real word I just looked it up). I don't really have a favorite part as this is perfection from start to finish - the verses are really fun, the chorus where she sings "I NEED A LOVE EVERY DAYYYYY" is super fun. Actually probably the ending is the best where she sings "LAY DOWN, MYYYY GUUUUUUUUYYYYYYYY" and then it explodes into that jubilant instrumental part is pretty awesome, the 1:30 minute outro is a bit long but is kinda welcome after such an explosive end tbh. Yeah overall this is a really unique song for Weyes Blood and I really hope she makes more music like this in the future - fun, throwback, well-constructed pop hits that are catchy yet still unique. Love! (Also the music video is super cool and a throwback to slasher films which obviously I didn't really grow up watching but kinda ironically fits the theme of the music here)

2. Andromeda (from Titanic Rising)

Wow, it feels weird not ranking this at #1 and yet here we are. The top YouTube comment of this video speaks perfectly regarding this song: George Harrison meets Beach House. Like, what more could I want in a song? :haha: One of my favorite musicians and one of my favorite bands? This is absolute heaven and a perfectly constructed song, definitely objectively one of the best indie songs of the last decade. Admittedly this wasn't an immediate favorite of mine from the album at first; it was probably mid-pack for me. But there's something about this song that just grabs you and transfixes you. It might be the slide guitars between verses, it might be the strange chord progressions or the interesting melody throughout...whatever it is, this song is amazing and represents psychedelic pop at its best. Like as I'm scrolling through the comments I see references to all these different incredible artists - Harrison, BH, Karen Carpenter, Roy Orbison, Bowie, FJM (who kinda reminds me of the male Weyes Blood in some ways, don't @ me Tom), LDR, ABBA, Florence. There's a lot of influences here. The lyrics aren't necessarily the focal part of the song but some lines still jump out ("Treat me right, I'm still a good man's daughter" is definitely my favorite). Ugh, Yeah, this is just euphoric and gorgeous and is one of my favorite songs of all time. But my #1 goes to a song from her first album, how about that!

1. Diary (from Front Row Seat To Earth)

Surprise! Titanic Rising doesn't have my #1 favorite Weyes Blood song. Diary was an instant favorite of mine that has continually remained a favorite from me and is, by a hair, my favorite song from Weyes Blood. I said earlier that I'm a sucker for a good arpeggio, and this one has an exquisite piano chord progression that anchors this song that I can't get enough of. This song is definitely more traditional in its structure compared to some of the songs of Titanic Rising, but it maintains this steady calm and peaceful feeling throughout that is ridiculously addictive. I can definitely see the Enya comparisons that are thrown out there. Her voice is rock solid and steady throughout. The song stays at a pretty even level throughout but still feels like a gorgeous progression by the time we reach the end. The verses are really haunting and have a soaring melody. The chorus is really short and simple: "Just give me more time...I'll change my mind...I'll change..." :wub: I can't really explain why this song is my favorite of hers, it just does something to me that few songs are able to do. Something about it is melodically perfect to me and I could listen to this for hours on repeat. I also think the lyrics are really open and vulnerable here, I bet this is just a page out of her own personal diary put to music which is really cool. Anyways yeah this is a gorgeous song and a perfect encapsulation of what I love about Natalie's music - gorgeous, dreamy, and beautifully constructed. 

-------

5. A Lot's Gonna Change -

4. Generation Why -

3. Everyday -

2. Andromeda -

1. Diary -

Edited by #jeah

17 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

"FJM (who kinda reminds me of the male Weyes Blood in some ways" what did Weyes Blood do to get insulted like this?

More comments later. :P 

Andromeda TOTALLY reminds me of a FJM song especially the verses. Probably why it’s not your favorite :haha: 

Edited by #jeah

2 hours ago, #jeah said:

Andromeda TOTALLY reminds me of a FJM song especially the verses. Probably why it’s not your favorite :haha: 

This post is offensive!

5. A Lot's Gonna Change - Yeah this one is epic and I can relate to those lyrics, I think we all can. :yes: 

4. Generation Why - Actually, I think this is my #1 from her and I definitely see the Imogen Heap comparisons, as well as to Chewing Cotton Wool by the Japanese House which I've showed you about before I think. 

3. Everyday - I can certainly see the 70s references here. In fact, it reminds me of this song kinda:

I'm a horror movie fan, so I love the slasher references as well! As an aside, I watched Midsommar again this weekend. That tension and atmosphere is awesome.

2. Andromeda - Yeah...stick with the George Harrison meets Beach House comparison, I can see that one. Out of all those other names that are referenced, the Overrated Reverend doesn't belong in there. 😘 As for the song I like it but I prefer her more epic haunting ones.

1. Diary - Yesss I've heard this one before and I really like it.  This is the kind of haunting dreamy song from her that I prefer. I agree with the Enya comparisons. If you like this so much, I think I need to show you more Enya songs. I have before, but there can never be too much Enya. ❤️ 

On 8/30/2020 at 8:11 PM, ~Tom~ said:

This post is offensive!

5. A Lot's Gonna Change - Yeah this one is epic and I can relate to those lyrics, I think we all can. :yes: 

4. Generation Why - Actually, I think this is my #1 from her and I definitely see the Imogen Heap comparisons, as well as to Chewing Cotton Wool by the Japanese House which I've showed you about before I think. 

3. Everyday - I can certainly see the 70s references here. In fact, it reminds me of this song kinda:

I'm a horror movie fan, so I love the slasher references as well! As an aside, I watched Midsommar again this weekend. That tension and atmosphere is awesome.

2. Andromeda - Yeah...stick with the George Harrison meets Beach House comparison, I can see that one. Out of all those other names that are referenced, the Overrated Reverend doesn't belong in there. 😘 As for the song I like it but I prefer her more epic haunting ones.

1. Diary - Yesss I've heard this one before and I really like it.  This is the kind of haunting dreamy song from her that I prefer. I agree with the Enya comparisons. If you like this so much, I think I need to show you more Enya songs. I have before, but there can never be too much Enya. ❤️ 

5. Yeah it is an eternally relatable song for sure!

4. Oh that's super cool that Generation Why is your favorite of hers! I love it so much too and definitely agree with what you said. I do remember you showing me Japanese House and liking them.

3. Aw, that is a sweet song lol and I can definitely see the similarities. It just has the classic 70s sunshiney feel throughout. Oooh I watched Midsommar a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it actually. I can't remember if I told you that already haha

2. Haha that's fair! I already said what I said about her sounding like FJM in some ways, and I'm not the only one who thinks so ;)  But she's definitely better! 

1. Aw yay glad you love this; I couldn't remember if you liked this one or not. Hmm okay find one that gives off Diary vibes!

Simon & Garfunkel

163239?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signa

So after my first set of an obscure indie artist, I'm going with an iconic duo this time. Simon and Garfunkel are one of my top ten favorite artists of all time, and one I grew up with from a young age. American folk-rock duo consisting of singer-songwriter Paul Simon and singer Art Garfunkel. Despite only releasing five albums, they have sold over 100 million albums in total, and their last album, Bridge Over Troubled Water, ranked at number 51 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. One of the best-selling music groups of the 1960s, their biggest hits—including "The Sound of Silence" (1965), "Mrs. Robinson" (1968), "The Boxer" (1969), and "Bridge over Troubled Water" (1970)— all reached #1 on singles charts worldwide. This list will have those songs on it for sure, but I'm also bringing attention to their lesser-known songs as well as Paul Simon's solo work which is just as good (plus he branched out into African musi at point which I'm excited to share).

They were one of my family's favorites, and they were one act my dad saw in concert and he also picked up guitar because of Paul Simon, lol. So basically I wore out Bookends and the Best of Simon & Garfunkel growing up. :haha: One of the reasons I found out about Sufjan Stevens was trying to find a modern-day Paul Simon. I have so many favorite songs by them that I had to up my list from 40 songs to 45. Did I stil forget some gems? Possibly, but there are always honorable mentions for that. :giggle: 

45. Bookends

Kicking off my list is Bookends. Bookends served as an interlude and the title track for Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends album, as well as an outro for the first disc. The version I posted is combined and crossfaded from Old Friends on their Greatest Hits album. The guitar melody is very simple but the lyrics resonate powerfully, 

44. Leaves That Are Green

One of the very last songs that I added to this list, Leaves That Are Green wouldn't have made it if it weren't for the simple and beautiful acoustic arragement Simon and Garfunkel used when they performed this song live. They have several songs about time hurrying on and not to take life for granted and this is just the first one. I really love it and struggled with its placement when I realized I was overlooking it, but I happen to love the 43 above it better

43. Slip Slidin' Away

While Slip Sidin' Away isn't my favorite song of Simon and Garfunkel's based on melody, I love the profound melancholy lyrics. My favorite part would be: "A good day ain't got no rain. A bad day is when I lie in bed think of things that might have been", and while I like rainy days and thunderstorms, I can totally relate to the second half, I do it way too much. :haha: I will also use as many videos of their concert in Central Park as possible because their live performances often have etter arrangements than their studio ones.

42. Gone at Last 

Gone at Last is the first of several of Paul Simon's solo songs to appear. It is very different from Paul's mostly soft folk songs, which is why I determined it had to be included despite the fact I don't listen to this one as much as most of the others on my list. This one is more jazz/bluesy than most of his others, and with it being a duet with Phoebe Snow, this gives it a gospel feel to it as well. With it being a quintessential angry breakup song and that bass throughout, I've always really enjoyed it. I live for Phoebe's whistling notes starting at 3:03 as well!

41. René and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War 

Well, René and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War is certainly the longest title of any of Paul Simon's songs, solo or otherwise. The song is about the artist René Magritte and his wife Georgette. The title comes from a photograph of the Magrittes and their dog in Belgium by photographer Lothar Wolleh. I always assumed "the deep forbideen music they'd been longing for" was an evening of sex, but apparently it was a tribute to doo-wop bands The Penguins, The Moonglows, The Orioles and The Five Satins, none of which I've heard, but maybe someday. This one makes the list for the involved love story it tells. 

45. Bookends - 

44. Leaves That Are Green - 

43. Slip Slidin' Away - 

42. Gone at Last - 

41. René and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War - 

45. Bookends - Ooh having an interlude in your list, how interesting *listens to track* I have definitely heard this before. A-ha! It was in (500) Days of Summer. This is very gorgeous, short, and to the point.

44. Leaves That Are Green - This is so sad sounding! 😭 LOVE the opening lyrics "I'm 22 now but won't be for long..." this song feels like time slipping away and I love the harmonies.

43. Slip Slidin' Away - Paul Simon is cute 👀 I actually really like the melody of this song, and I agree that the lyrics here are really profound. I'm also fairly certain I've heard this before.

42. Gone at Last - Love this! It kind of starts out sounding like an Elton John song and then it keeps progressing, love the jazz and soul vibes to this. Yeah those whistle notes from Phoebe are outrageous! Mariah who??? :giggle: 

41. René and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War - Lmao that title. It starts out really slow and I wasn't feeling it but this song is definitely all about the story and overall it's really elegant and atmospheric. Probably wouldn't go back to this one too much but it's really gorgeous.

On 9/7/2020 at 11:21 AM, #jeah said:

45. Bookends - Ooh having an interlude in your list, how interesting *listens to track* I have definitely heard this before. A-ha! It was in (500) Days of Summer. This is very gorgeous, short, and to the point.

44. Leaves That Are Green - This is so sad sounding! 😭 LOVE the opening lyrics "I'm 22 now but won't be for long..." this song feels like time slipping away and I love the harmonies.

43. Slip Slidin' Away - Paul Simon is cute 👀 I actually really like the melody of this song, and I agree that the lyrics here are really profound. I'm also fairly certain I've heard this before.

42. Gone at Last - Love this! It kind of starts out sounding like an Elton John song and then it keeps progressing, love the jazz and soul vibes to this. Yeah those whistle notes from Phoebe are outrageous! Mariah who??? :giggle: 

41. René and Georgette Magritte with Their Dog after the War - Lmao that title. It starts out really slow and I wasn't feeling it but this song is definitely all about the story and overall it's really elegant and atmospheric. Probably wouldn't go back to this one too much but it's really gorgeous.

45. Yes indeed! 

44. Yesssss, those opening lyrics are the reason it is on here! 

43. Well he's 40 years old in this concert (and he doesn't age quite as gracefully as Sufjan), but you do you. :giggle: Yeah it's one of their more popular ones. 

42. I figured you would! And yes, the Overbearing Diva has nothing on Phoebe. :giggle: 

41. It's not a huge favorite either but I just couldn't leave it off. 

Edited by ~Tom~

40. Rose of Aberdeen

When I was young, I really loved Irish music (still do), and although I came across this recording after I knew most of their other songs, I immediately loved it because it reminded me of an Irish folk song. It is in fact a Scottish folk song by the name of "The Rambling Gambler". It's only a demo on the Sound of Silence album, so it's not their most well known but it deserved recognition for the vocals and nice guitar work.

39. The Late Great Johnny Ace

I was very close to leaving this song off the list altogether, but when I relistened to the melancholic lyrics and London Symphony Orchestra's tribute to the Beatles and John Lennon at the end, I knew I couldn't leave it off. The violin and flute help conclude a tribute to John Lennon beautifully.

38. Still Crazy After All These Years

Time for more Paul Simon solo music! I love this verse in particular: I'm not the type of man who tends to socialize I tend to lean on old familiar ways. Relatable, tbh. The song is hearbreaking and it is topped off with a magnificent sax solo to give it a jazzy feel. I prefer his more folk and African music side though, so it lands here. 

37. The Coast

This is the first track to appear from The Rhythm of the Saints, which is mostly pop but a world music feel and it is made apparent through this song, Further to Fly and Born At the Right Time in particular. Much like Leaves That Are Green, I love the first two lines: A family of musicians took shelter for the night In the little harbor church of St. Cecilia. I love the next two lines of the chorus for the word Bougainvillea, tbh. I really enjoy it for the African vibe but it doesn't quite stand out as a top fave so here it lands.

36. Bright Eyes

And as with A Heart in New York, I didn't really listen to this one growing up, so I am less obsessed with it than some others, but I still had to include it. It shows off Garfunkel's voice and was written for the movie Watership Down, which I've never seen but I loved the book. 

35. Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard

This is one of Paul Simon's solo songs that I've loved from the first time I've heard it. It is one of his catchiest ones, and we all know what Julio is referring to, oh yes we do. Andy will approve. :giggle: There's a suggestion in the comments that it's about homosexuality as well but I doubt that. Mama would disapprove of either back in those days. 

34. Kathy's Song

Another great love song written by Paul! I was surprised that the Kathy this song was written about was not a woman he was married to, but a girlfriend he'd had for a few months. Obviously it didn't stop this song from becoming one of his more timeless ones and Eva Cassidy from doing a great version of it!

33. A Heart In New York

Another opportunity to use Central Park concert footage, this is one that Garfunkel wrote and sang for the first time at this concert, I believe. It's one of their most minimalist folk songs but still very pretty. It's also nice to hear Garfunkel sing a whole song by himself since he is the better vocalist of the two and I didn't include any more of his solo work on this list (oops). And they both love to sing about New York! I will have to visit there someday.

32. For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her

Normally, sappy love songs like this are not my absolute favorite, but I tend to enjoy all the ones where Garfunkel takes the lead, his voice and the reverb make this song as well as the acoustic guitar arrangement. And I thought the lyric was I felt you Morgan dear rather I felt you warm and dear and was confused because this song was singing about an Emily. :haha: Stay tuned for more embarrassing lyric misunderstandings.

31. She Moves On

Another song from Rhythm of the Saints with that African influence! That drum set is so easy to bop to, and I look forward to the background singers' verse every time I hear it. The second to the last verse makes the song for me:

Then I fall to my knees
I grow weak, I go slack
As if she'd captured the breath of my
Voice in a bottle
And I can't catch it back

Paul Simon continues to prove that Rhythm of the Saints was his best effort s a soloist with this song (and others still to come). 

40. Rose of Aberdeen - 

39. The Late Great Johnny Ace - 

38. Still Crazy After All These Years - 

37. The Coast - 

36. Bright Eyes - 

35. Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard - 

34. Kathy's Song - 

33. A Heart In New York - 

32. For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her - 

31. She Moves On - 

Edited by ~Tom~

Gonna do the first 5 tonight and the second 5 tomorrow!

40. Rose of Aberdeen - This is beautiful, I love his vocals here and I agree that mixed with the lovely guitar work makes this a standout

39. The Late Great Johnny Ace - This is slow but I don't even care because it's gorgeous, this tribute to Lennon at the end is amazing

38. Still Crazy After All These Years - Hmm this is a different side of what I'm used to hearing from him for sure, but I like it though especially the old school jazzy undertones throughout

37. The Coast - This is beautiful! The drums + guitars are hypnotizing. He sounds great here too and I love the background vocals at the end

36. Bright Eyes - I saw this movie growing up in school, lol! This is really pretty huh, Garfunkel has such an amazing voice too! Hopefully he has some more solo stuff that ends up on the list

22 hours ago, #jeah said:

Gonna do the first 5 tonight and the second 5 tomorrow!

40. Rose of Aberdeen - This is beautiful, I love his vocals here and I agree that mixed with the lovely guitar work makes this a standout

39. The Late Great Johnny Ace - This is slow but I don't even care because it's gorgeous, this tribute to Lennon at the end is amazing

38. Still Crazy After All These Years - Hmm this is a different side of what I'm used to hearing from him for sure, but I like it though especially the old school jazzy undertones throughout

37. The Coast - This is beautiful! The drums + guitars are hypnotizing. He sounds great here too and I love the background vocals at the end

36. Bright Eyes - I saw this movie growing up in school, lol! This is really pretty huh, Garfunkel has such an amazing voice too! Hopefully he has some more solo stuff that ends up on the list

Sounds good. 😄 Although no rush I've barely started the next ten :haha: 

40. Yessss!

39. I figured you'd love that solo, it makes the song.

38. Yep not a hige standout of his but it had to be included.

37. Pretty much my thoughts as well.

36. Not much more. :ph34rwave:

Edited by ~Tom~