Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

UNCLE BOONMEE WHO CAN RECALL HIS PAST LIVES (2010)

giphy.gif\

What a title! I only have to type "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives" like twice and I've already reached my 100 word quota! Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives is a 2010 Thai art drama film that focuses on the concept of reincarnation. The plot sounds pretty complex, as it starts with a man whose kidneys are failing. He is then visited by the spirit of his dead wife who prepares him for the journey ahead. This actually sounds super interesting and like something that I should watch! The movie received universal acclaim from critics who praised it for being enigmatic, haunting, and gorgeous. It won the Palme d'Or at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival, making it the first Thai film ever to do so. This sounds like a really interesting movie but its time in the rankdown is over, so out it goes.

Saving: Nocturnal Animals

5 minutes ago, .Rei said:

which movie should I not cut?

I think The Diary of a Teenage Girl is the easiest cut to make, just based on the content of the film. Made in Dagenham is a fair cut as well imo.

Dope is maybe the one film I really want to see survive. The game is getting hard. 😭

• Like 2

THE DIARY OF A TEENAGE GIRL

TheDiaryOfaTeenageGirl_NewTheatricalPost

So I looked this film up after I was asked to save it previously, and... yikes, I regret that save so I'm taking it out now! The Diary of a Teenage Girl is a drama about a fifteen-year-old teenager who is having a sexual awakening and wants to lose her virginity, so she begins an affair with her mother's boyfriend. WHO IS AN ADULT MAN. HAVING SEX WITH A 15-YEAR-OLD GIRL. Ick to the power of ick. She begins to sleep with other men, before realizing she loves her mom's boyfriend and they make plans to be together when she's 18. AGAIN. ICK TO THE POWER OF ICK. I'm reading more about it on Wikipedia and why am I not surprised (disappointed, but not surprised) it was a Sundance darling? Sorry, this plot doesn't sound edgy to me. It sounds disgusting, problematic and extremely rape culturey. Apparently, The Guardian referred to it as "morally complex" in their review???? There's no morality complex to - again - an ADULT MAN SLEEPING WITH A 15-YEAR-OLD. Can movies please stop romanticizing this? Because it's gross. My only regret is I didn't know about this movie from the get-go and target it right away.

SAVE: Dope

• Like 1

Made in Dagenham

Made_in_dagenham_poster.jpg

tumblr_mmtb0sxJRa1qaxxvao5_250.gifv

Made in Dagenham is a 2010 British film directed by Nigel Cole. The movie stands as a dramatization of the 1968 strike at Ford Dagenham car plant, where female workers walked out in protest against sexual discrimination. The cast of the film included: Sally Hawkins ❤️, Bob Hoskins, Miranda Richardson, Geraldine James, Rosamund Pike, Andrea Riseborough, Jaime Winstone, Daniel Mays and Richard Schiff. The movie was a financial success after making $12M against a budget of £5M. I don't know if the film is good or not as I haven't watched it but the critics seem to agree that it is in fact a good film with a 80% Tomatoscore and a bunch of nominations for several british awards. 

Saving BPM (Beats per Minutes)

tumblr_oyuwo13hMT1qa3emao1_500.gifv

Edited by .Rei

Just now, Alex95 said:

A villain in a movie is problematic? Shocking.

But I do not feel like he was portrayed as villainous as he should have been in the movie, and the film was far too comfortable portraying Minnie as aggressive in her "sexual awakening" and not recognizing the situation as rape. 

Just now, Deeee said:

But I do not feel like he was portrayed as villainous as he should have been in the movie, and the film was far too comfortable portraying Minnie as aggressive in her "sexual awakening" and not recognizing the situation as rape. 

"Minnie runs into Monroe. She is cold towards him, and they go their separate ways. Minnie reflects on her emotional growth and realizes that the only way to find happiness is by loving herself, not by depending on another person's affection."

Wow looks like the movie really made Monroe the good guy!!!!

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

"Minnie runs into Monroe. She is cold towards him, and they go their separate ways. Minnie reflects on her emotional growth and realizes that the only way to find happiness is by loving herself, not by depending on another person's affection."

Doesn’t really sound like they made him a bad guy

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

The quote you just provided does nothing to prove your point? At all? Her being cold towards him is not screaming RAPIST lol. There is a lot of explicit stuff that I cannot get into on IDF of course, but her going her separate ways from him is not wrapped in any sort of acknowledgment that he was acting in a predatory manner. In fact, she leaves him because she realizes she does not care for him AFTER he starts admitting that he loves her and wants to make things official when she turns 18 in THREE years.

6 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I can't stand people who haven't seen a movie and then try to judge the morality.

I cannot stand when people judge others for looking at statutory rape that is not condemned in the film and is often romanticized in a negative light?

17 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

There's literally a scene in the film where they're having sex and she screams "rape!" but okay.

bQwObYa.png?1

Uhm. I don't know what you're talking about. If you think this is some big admonishment of him as a rapist...

Just say you love the film and keep it pushing. The fact that you have a problem with people finding the content problematic is very odd to me.