Films of the Decade Rankdown

Alex95

Mr. Turner (2014 dir. by Mike Leigh)

Turner-Rainbow.gif

Disclaimer: I had no help with this write-up at all. 🙂Mr. Turner is an incredible film, albeit a boring one, which chronicles the last 25 years of the life of the artist J. M. W. Turner. Turner was an English romantic painter, printmaker, and watercolorist whose most notable works are The Fighting Temeraire and The Slave Ship. 

Timothy Spall stars in the title role and gives one of the best acting performances I have seen in some time. The film also stars Dorothy Atkinson, Lesley Manville, Paul Jesson, Marion Bailey, Martin Savage, and many more. The film premiered in competition for the Palme d'Or at the 2014 Cannes Film Festival, where the film received massive acclaim. Spall won the award for Best Actor at Cannes that year because he is that damn good in this movie! Dick Pope won the Vulcan Award at the Cannes Film Festival for his cinematography work on the film. 

Upon wide release, the film was massively praised and cited as one of the best films of the year. Most critics herald Mr. Turner as the pinnacle of movie biopics, and I would agree. The movie really immerses you in how the artist approached his work, and I cannot state enough how impressive and brilliant Timothy Spall is in this movie! Critics loved how the film told the story of Turner and creative minds as a whole, but of course really focus on the stunning performance from the lead actor.

The movie currently has a 97% on RT and a score of 91 on Metacritic. The film received a ton of year-end recognition and award nominations, even garnering four Academy Award nominations. An amazing film, but 20th Century Women is just too good!

SAVING: 20th Century Women

I haven't had my coffee yet. Hopefully this is 18 nominations. 

Certified Copy
Chico and Rita
Conviction
Four Lions
Made In Dagenham
Submarine
A Separation
Another Earth
Bernie
Pariah
Shame
Wild Bill
Win Win
Amour
Arbitrage
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Ernest & Celestine
Holy Motors

12 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Leave Four Lions and A Separation alone 😇

6 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Ugh Holy Motors, Pariah, Another Earth, and Submarine all need to be safe 😭😭😭

5 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

And Beasts of the Southern Wild 😭😭😭

If people save these movies and cut other movies, I'll suggest write-ups in DMS ❤️

Wild Bill

Why won't IDF let me center Youtube videos. Anyway, I couldn't find a gif so the trailer will have to suffice. I had never heard of this movie and not surprising as it's a UK movie which made a paltry slightly more than £60,000 at the box office. So sorry to the one fan of the movie that I'm sure included it in this rankdown but it's going now because there are a lot of other movies in this set that I love. Wild Bill is NOT a movie about Wild Bill Hickok, famous American Folk Hero of the Wild Wild West, but rather a crime comedy-drama about a man named Bill who is released from prison on parole and has to like take care of his kids? The wikipedia is very detailed and doesn't give a short summary so I'm doing my best to read it and write this write-up. Yes, that's basically it. Basically, Bill was put into jail for working for a drug lord (Andy Serkis) and when he gets out he kind of wants to resume life with his friends in Scotland but because his son's mother has run away he is put in charge of the children and in trying to like kind of give them a better life he kind of screws it all up. 

Anyway. This film was really highly regarded critically when it came out and holds a 100% on RottenTomatoes. But like I said, it made like £60,000 so despite the critical praise it didn't really amount to much with the public. 

Saving: Pariah