DEREK: 11

KALEY: 13
MEGAN: 18

NICO: 21

DEE: 22

ALEX: 24

DENISE

AHySbF2.gif

The Little Mermaid has always been one of my favorite Disney movies since I was a child.  I just love mermaids so much, as well as the ocean, the water, sea life, and all of that stuff we get to experience through Ariel and this movie. She is one of my favorite Disney princesses or maybe is my favorite actual princess. She dreams big and has a curious and determined personality that I love. Ariel wants to be where the people are, dang it. (!) And she will do what it takes to make that happen and land the prince of her dreams. What a role model. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif

8a1bBlt.gifBbzYAlE.gif

eob35Yb.gifs8V13Yb.gif

Ariel also has one of my favorite Disney songs ever, which got me my highest ranking in the Disney Movies Rankdown, and that is, of course, "Part of Your World." :wub: I can relate to Ariel on wanting to have more for herself and her life than people think is possible. She doesn't have to settle and can push the boundaries to make her life what she wants. I LOVE THAT. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif And she's a mermaid, so I stan regardless.

VICTORIA

acb0e8de9f62884d6dbfd01f5af54192.gif

I really loved Ariel as a child but that's because I really wanted to be a mermaid. It wasn't until I was older when I realized that she really left her father and siblings behind for a man she barely knew. I mean it worked out in the end but imagine if it didn't? Ariel is the protagonist of The Little Mermaid. She is the youngest of seven daughters of King Triton and Queen Athena (who has passed away). Ariel always loved humans and she falls in love with a human Eric. She goes to the sea witch Ursula to become a human in exchange for her voice. Flounder and Sebastian help her on her way. She makes Eric fall in love with her even without the use of her voice and he realizes she is the one who saved his life in the shipwreck prior. "Part Of Your World" is the song she sings in the song and it pretty much sums the film.

CHRIS

tumblr_okayn6ATwi1rugkpho7_250.gif tumblr_pn5eryFsPj1qhphz2o3_r1_250.gif tumblr_okayn6ATwi1rugkpho4_250.gif

Ariel is one of the most beloved Disney princesses of all-time, and rightfully so!  In case you have been living under a rock, Ariel is the main character from The Little Mermaid which is one of Disney's biggest blockbusters from the late 1980s & early 1990s. What can be said about Ariel?  She is a mermaid who happens to be the daughter of King Triton, and she is best known for her beautiful red hair. In the movie, we find her living in the kingdom of Atlantica where she is fascinated by the world of the humans where she often goes on adventures with Flounder & Sebastian - it is on these adventures that she finds human artifacts. Her curiosity eventually leads her to a boat where she noticed a charming yet handsome man who would later be known as Prince Eric - this encounter would lead to her meeting Ursula who will later offer her something she cannot refuse; be a human for 3 days but she must give up her voice to Ursula. In the end, Ariel managed to live happily ever after with Prince Eric.

Personally speaking, Ariel is probably in my Top 5 Disney princesses but it is not enough for her to get a ranking in my Top 5 - I do really love Ariel notably Jodi Benson's voice over & the ever so iconic "Part of Your World".  And my prediction? She will not win as I expect some people will be tanking her score.

DEREK

The_Little_Mermaid_(Official_1989_Film_P

From the movie The Little Mermaid (1989)

3544a02b135bbdd808736f5cc3258997-e1537029359695-1140x641.jpg

Voiced by the incomparable Jodi Benson (b. 1961)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jodi_Benson

Tony Award nominated for Best Actress in a Musical

Also voiced Vanessa, Ursula's human form (obviously)

Voiced Ariel for the sequel, prequel, and entire television series

Also voiced Barbie in Toy Story 2 (1999) and Toy Story 3 (2010)

Voiced Lady in Lady and the Tramp II (2001) lol wut, nominated for Annie Award

Had a small role in Enchanted (2007)

Honored as a Disney Legend in 2011

I'm glad Ariel made the Top 25 because I think she's definitely one of the better and more interesting princesses in the Disney universe. Also, Jodi's speaking and singing voice provided for Ariel is one of the GOAT in my opinion. Part of Your World is one of the most legendary performances/songs/moments in all of Disney to me. And yes, she gives up her voice to be with a man she doesn't know. But it's how she does it that makes her super interesting, and not just another generic princess. In the words of the late, great Roger Ebert: "... Ariel is a fully realized female character who thinks and acts independently, even rebelliously, instead of hanging around passively while the fates decide her destiny." 

Oh, so you want to break all her stuff and ground her? Well now she's swimming off to a sea witch and signing legal contracts and making exchanges and doing what she wants. On some level, her going to Ursula was her taking control of her situation. She just also happens to be 16 and making really bad decisions lol. Her line about "I'm 16! I'm not a child!" is obviously super hilarious as someone who is older than 16. 

But just look at her. Ariel has one of the most iconic designs in all of Disney.

KALEY

200.gif

Probably a little low for me to place Ariel, especially since I had Ursula so high, but here we are. Like many of her fellow Princesses, Ariel longs for a life outside the one she currently has. For her, she wants to see what land is all about. She even goes so far as to keep a collection of human objects she has found. She loses some cool points for risking everything (including her voice and potentially soul) for a man she had just met and never spoken to, but hey we were all 16 once :haha:. Anyways, she makes the deal but still manages to captivate Prince Eric even without her voice. You go, girl! After Ursula is ultimately defeated, Triton sees how much his daughter loves both the Prince and the idea of living on land, so he does change her to a human. And then she is able to live happily ever after.

MEGAN

Exists.

NICO

Should be Sebastian

DEE

MenacingTightGalapagospenguin-small.gif

One of the most iconic Disney characters of all-time. The mermaid princess. Listen, there has been no secret about my desire to prevent any and all Disney princesses from winning. The only Disney princess I care to see win or rank highly is Mulan. Because duh. She is Mulan.

Though I aided in the mission to remove most princesses from the game, this does not mean I dislike Ariel! She can talk to aquatic creatures. She is free-spirited, adventurous, curious, and even a bit mischievous. Ariel is quite assertive and is a pretty selfless individual!

So selfless she gave her voice and all of Atlantica to Ursula. She was even kind enough to give Ursula the starring role in her movie. LOL. Okay, okay. I am definitely being shady. Ariel is cool. But her entire movie belongs to the iconic, incomparable, superstar that is Ursula. Ariel does not even come close to being as lively and interesting and compelling and show-stealing as Ursula.

Ariel ends up being like most protagonists: rebellious against the parent, gets a little too comfortable being a rebel, gets caught slipping, makes a poor decision that gets her world nearly destroyed. Ariel is just another dumb kid, which is just a frustrating character archetype that Disney loves way too much. Not so much anymore, but definitely used to be the most frequently employed archetype for all protagonists.

All this to say, Ariel is a character that mostly gets on my nerves and is entirely eclipsed by Ursula. Hell, even Sebastian is far more interesting and hilarious than Ariel. Her most interesting character trait is her obsession with the human world. Like, why sis? Humans suck! I get that like the whole point is to teach people that forbidden fruit is really attractive and not to judge...blah blah blah. There is just nothing that compelling about her as a character.

She likes humans. She should not. She falls in love with a human. She should not. She stupidly trusts Ursula. She should not. Just sort of an aggravating protagonist that belongs to an otherwise brilliant film. Ariel is not even the person that saves the day! But I guess she is able to merge the world of Atlantica with the human world.

Anyways. I have realized that I spent most of my time complaining about Ariel, but I really do love The Little Mermaid. The rest of the series though...better left ignored. Ariel is a character that I have really fond memories of, which earns her a bit of a higher ranking than I want to give her. Blame the entire "Part of Your World" sequence for being phenomenal.

ALEX

When you're younger you watch The Little Mermaid and #relate to Ariel. Her father's a dick! Her friends suck! Let her do what she wants! She's a whole ass sixteen years old! That's totally old enough to be signing contracts without lawyers and making your own decisions! But oh boy are we all wrong. One day I turned 16. And I didn't know it all. And I realized maybe Ariel shouldn't have been doing The Most. Now I'm 25 and I'm less kind to Ariel. Not only was she doing The Most, she sucks. In this household, we are #TeamUrsula. Someone had to teach that spoiled brat a lesson. Ariel is a mermaid who lives in a kingdom and literally has it all. But apparently she wants human forks or whatever so she decides living in an underwater castle isn't enough. She must ~find herself~ and be a white girl who studies abroad for a semester and suddenly thinks they're an adult. Literally everyone with brains advises her that's not a good idea. She doesn't care! She doesn't listen to anybody. Apparently the only person she can trust is the sea witch with an evil cackle. WHAT COULD GO WRONG?! ARIEL SIGNED THE CONTRACT FAIR AND SQUARE! URSULA DESERVED TO WIN! EVERYONE ELSE CHEATED!

Edited by Steven_

7 minutes ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

I also anticipated her in the top 10 even though I didn’t have her that high.

I was hoping Ariel would've been in the Top 10, but I'm glad she at least made Top 25 and finished in 12th. I was almost certain she was going to be eliminated in the final cuts round, but thankfully she made it to the endgame. 😅

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Okay, how many accounts did @miss denise and @*Wallace make to get Ariel to the #1 public ranking spot? :dead: #JK

You know darn well Ariel is far from my favorite and I wouldn't vote her at #1. :dead:  I think I had her around 10-12 or so?

Suer shocked about Ariel being #1 in the public vote. I was not apart of that happening. :haha: 

I missed so much but catching up on this!

Alex

3. Cruella de Vil

6. Scar

7. Quasimodo

8. Mike Wazowski

13. Jasmine

14. Simba

15. Buzz Lightyear

16. Miguel Rivera

17. Russell 

19. Moana

20. Jack Skellington