The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

8 minutes ago, RTV said:

I don't know anyone who has had monkeypox. Unfortunately, several family members (ages 65 and up) died of COVID-19 in 2020.

Sorry to hear that. Do you live in one of the East Coast states that got hit really hard in early 2020? 

8 minutes ago, Gmm99 said:

As of now, do you think Trump will run in 2024?

I still do not think he will. LOL

I don’t care about that Turning Point straw poll. That’s not representative of the GOP primary electorate, and is run by Charlie Kirk, who is a huge Trump backer. I also think they took the poll on the night Trump spoke. The early state primary polls are the ones to watch. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

Sorry to hear that. Do you live in one of the East Coast states that got hit really hard in early 2020? 

None of my relatives who died of COVID lived on either coast.

21 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t care about that Turning Point straw poll. That’s not representative of the GOP primary electorate, and is run by Charlie Kirk, who is a huge Trump backer. I also think they took the poll on the night Trump spoke. The early state primary polls are the ones to watch. 

True, but it's nice to see a story about conservative young people attending political conferences or otherwise taking an interest in politics. If TPUSA can reach more youth, I'm all for it. :thumbs:

"Turning Point USA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 2012 by Charlie Kirk. The organization’s mission is to identify, educate, train, and organize students to promote the principles of fiscal responsibility, free markets, and limited government." TPUSA also states it organizes students to "promote freedom."

https://www.tpusa.com/about

Edited by RTV
  • Like 1

August Primary Elections

August 2:
Arizona
Kansas
Michigan
Missouri
Washington

August 4:
Tennessee

August 9:
Connecticut
Minnesota
Vermont
Wisconsin

August 13:
Hawaii

August 16:
Alaska
Wyoming

August 23:
Florida
New York

• Thanks 2

The sitting President only gets 17%, and is polling behind Mayor Pete. Wow! Harris at only 6%. My money is still on Newsom. 

This is from the same poll. So much for the rumored Hilary comeback. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RTV said:

Yeah, his record is awful, but I still don’t see anyone on that list of Democrats beating him. Yikes!

DeSantis would be the best candidate to match up against him, for many reasons, but primarily because they are both governors right now. One state is doing well…the other, not so much. We’ve already seen the sneak peak of how easily DeSantis can draw that contrast. 

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/07/08/he-was-treating-them-like-peasants-desantis-hits-back-at-gavin-newsom-n481600

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

First, Latinx. Now, Filipinx. Again, these were made up by white liberals. 

Look at some of the replies to the  tweet if you want a sampling of what Filipinos think of it. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Trump didn’t even seem to believe what he was saying here. 

This is true….

I suppose it isn't surprising that nobody, including President Trump, knew how to react to the pandemic. The fact that a virus caused so much illness, death, chaos, and economic hardship in the United States remains mind-boggling to me. The first confirmed COVID-19 case was in Hubei province on November 17, 2019. The first death was reported in China on January 11, 2020. Trump downplayed the SARS-CoV-2 risk but suspended entry to the U.S. from China on January 31. Unfortunately, it was already too late. His preference seemed to be for states to lead the response while the federal government supported their efforts. California became the first state to implement a stay-at-home order on March 19. Trump called the coronavirus the "Chinese Virus" that same day.

Trump tweeted on March 23: We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. In April, he began to call out China and the World Health Organization. He mostly went along with the "experts" that spring—but unenthusiastically. Maybe Trump felt he had no choice at the time. Still, he questioned the use of face masks, encouraged states to reopen, and seemed to have serious doubts about the recommendations by Fauci and others.

19 minutes ago, RTV said:

I suppose it isn't surprising that nobody, including President Trump, knew how to react to the pandemic. The fact that a virus caused so much illness, death, chaos, and economic hardship in the United States remains mind-boggling to me. The first confirmed COVID-19 case was in Hubei province on November 17, 2019. The first death was reported in China on January 11, 2020. Trump downplayed the SARS-CoV-2 risk but suspended entry to the U.S. from China on January 31. Unfortunately, it was already too late. His preference seemed to be for states to lead the response while the federal government supported their efforts. California became the first state to implement a stay-at-home order on March 19. Trump called the coronavirus the "Chinese Virus" that same day.

Trump tweeted on March 23: We cannot let the cure be worse than the problem itself. In April, he began to call out China and the World Health Organization. He mostly went along with the "experts" that spring—but unenthusiastically. Maybe Trump felt he had no choice at the time. Still, he questioned the use of face masks, encouraged states to reopen, and seemed to have serious doubts about the recommendations by Fauci and others.

At the end of the day though, Trump still went along with it. No matter how "unenthusiastic" he was. His response to COVID was probably one of the reasons why he lost a lot of independent voters in the last few months going into the 2020 General election. That's what at least I think.

The second tweet is his out….his family. It’s a legit reason not to run, if it comes to that, and he can use it, regardless of other reasons for the decision. The key is to keep him at bay for as long as possible. The longer this drags on the less likely he runs.

McCarthy being in the middle of this makes me laugh. There is no way in hell that guy wants Trump running for President again, yet Trump seems to trust him. 

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

The second tweet is his out….his family. It’s a legit reason not to run, if it comes to that, and he can use it, regardless of other reasons for the decision. The key is to keep him at bay for as long as possible. The longer this drags on the less likely he runs.

McCarthy being in the middle of this makes me laugh. There is no way in hell that guy wants Trump running for President again, yet Trump seems to trust him. 

I agree that concern for his family is the best reason Trump can give for not seeking another term.

Whether or not he is running, most Republicans hope Trump will delay public confirmation of his decision. During an appearance on July 15, Newt Gingrich called Trump the "frontrunner" but noted that DeSantis won't be "intimidated" by Trump announcing his 2024 campaign before midterms and said it would be a distraction and a "mistake" that would "undermine and weaken" GOP opportunity in November.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6309595678112 

Edited by RTV

29 minutes ago, RTV said:

I agree that concern for his family is the best reason Trump can give for not seeking another term.

Whether or not he is running, most Republicans hope Trump will delay public confirmation of his decision. During an appearance on July 15, Newt Gingrich called Trump the "frontrunner" but noted that DeSantis won't be "intimidated" by Trump announcing his 2024 campaign before midterms and said it would be a distraction and a "mistake" that would "undermine and weaken" GOP opportunity in November.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6309595678112 

Just the speculation of him running may have an impact at the polls. Nobody motivates Democrats to get out the vote more than Trump. 

There are a lot of moving parts, but I think the key is to get to a point where he starts to have doubts as to whether he can win. A lot of Trump supporters seem to be focused on a Trump-Biden matchup, but that is clearly nothing more than wishful thinking. He is going downhill really fast right now. I don’t even know how he can make it through his first term, let alone try for a second. 

Then we have an endless number of investigations and possible indictments, which cause him to lash out daily on Truth Social about the “stolen election.” The idea of him winning a General election just seems like a pipe dream to me, and I can’t wrap my brain around the idea that so many still think he can. 

• Like 1

54 House Republicans signed today's letter urging Biden "to submit to a cognitive test immediately"

(Similar letters were sent to Biden in February 2022 with 37 co-signers and in June 2021 with 13 co-signers.)

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/more-than-50-republicans-call-biden-take-cognitive-test-dem-concerns-about-presidents-age

Edited by RTV
  • Like 1