The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

Here is the curriculum.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23584340-ap-afam-syllabus-watermark

There is nothing wrong with it. 

I keep seeing “wokeness” as a criticism, so I’d imagine the issues come with the “feminist” section, queer section, and modern movements. 

the idea that you could provide a comprehensive college course (as remember - this is AP, not high school level..where we white/straight/male wash everything), without including women’s perspective or queer perspective is asinine. 

And not including modern social movements is a disservice to the students. Again, it’s AP. Which means these kids are thoughtful and knowledgeable about the world - they’ll notice if major movements are not included. 

This is just sad, but not unexpected. Btw, other governors are threatening to reject the curriculum of its stripped. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Here is the curriculum.

I keep seeing “wokeness” as a criticism, so I’d imagine the issues come with the “feminist” section, queer section, and modern movements. 

the idea that you could provide a comprehensive college course (as remember - this is AP, not high school level..where we white/straight/male wash everything), without including women’s perspective or queer perspective is asinine. 

And not including modern social movements is a disservice to the students. Again, it’s AP. Which means these kids are thoughtful and knowledgeable about the world - they’ll notice if major movements are not included. 

This is just sad, but not unexpected. Btw, other governors are threatening to reject the curriculum of its stripped. 

yeah and its AP elective  so no one is forcing students to take it, it should be their choice if they want to take it, so they cant really calim parents rights or whatever cause its not mandatory. 

• Like 3

On the one hand..the squad deserves this. They’ve played the “both sides are the same” card a while.

And Omar absolutely dog whistles anti-semitism. 

However, the GOP holding her accountable while not holding their Nazi supporting, KKK supporting insurrectionists accountable is certainly something. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2023 at 4:08 PM, mercfan3 said:

Here is the curriculum.

It’s another one of those 80/20 issues that DeSantis feasts on. You are in the 20. 

Edited by TeamAudra

15 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

@mercfan3

I understand that you’re pretty far to the left, and aren’t a fan of either of them, but if you could hand pick the GOP nominee, and the only choices were Trump or DeSantis, which one would you choose, and why? Just curious. 

DeSantis. 

Trump is easier to beat, and also an idiot. I don’t think Trump could beat Biden, Harris, Jeffries, or Buttigieg - who I think are the most likely Dem nominees. 

They have the same domestic police’s - which I think are terrible - but DeSantis is significantly more likely to get them accomplished because again..he’s not an idiot. 

All advantages Trump for me, but the bottom line is I’m an American first. 

DeSantis didn’t partner with Russia. He didn’t attempt to over throw an election. And he didn’t refuse to give documents back to the government - likely sharing those documents with our enemies. Among other things. I’m also not concerned about DeSantis blowing up a country because their leader’s wife insulted him or because it’s Wednesday - or whatever reason Trump might have. 

if Trump has taught the country anything - I would think it would be that it’s important to have a a competent/rational person over anything else. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s another one of those 80/20 issues that DeSantis feasts on. You are in the 20. 

maybe in your circles. 

but definitely not in the country, and among people working in academics..the 80 percent is on my side. 

btw..is he really going to sit by and let the state require girls to provide their menstruation data? The state of Florida is going to learn a lesson about  Gen Z…

https://time.com/6252147/florida_student_athletes_menstrual_history/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

maybe in your circles. 

but definitely not in the country, and among people working in academics..the 80 percent is on my side. 

btw..is he really going to sit by and let the state require girls to provide their menstruation data? The state of Florida is going to learn a lesson about  Gen Z…

https://time.com/6252147/florida_student_athletes_menstrual_history/

I’m talking about people educated enough on the issue to have an informed opinion…not based on some lies that he wants to ban AA History in high school (which is already mandated for Florida high school students, btw). He just doesn’t want left-wing ideology interlaced into the curriculum. So..they agreed to revise the course to meet the Florida standards, set by legislation. 

2 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

DeSantis. 

Trump is easier to beat, and also an idiot. I don’t think Trump could beat Biden, Harris, Jeffries, or Buttigieg - who I think are the most likely Dem nominees. 

They have the same domestic police’s - which I think are terrible - but DeSantis is significantly more likely to get them accomplished because again..he’s not an idiot. 

All advantages Trump for me, but the bottom line is I’m an American first. 

DeSantis didn’t partner with Russia. He didn’t attempt to over throw an election. And he didn’t refuse to give documents back to the government - likely sharing those documents with our enemies. Among other things. I’m also not concerned about DeSantis blowing up a country because their leader’s wife insulted him or because it’s Wednesday - or whatever reason Trump might have. 

if Trump has taught the country anything - I would think it would be that it’s important to have a a competent/rational person over anything else. 

I thought you would say you’d pick Trump, because he would be easier to beat in the general, which would be a reasonable argument for a Democrat, but there’s always the chance he could win, I guess. 

Honestly, Trump seems more unhinged now than ever before….

13 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m talking about people educated enough on the issue to have an informed opinion…not based on some lies that he wants to ban AA History in high school (which is already mandated for Florida high school students, btw). He just doesn’t want left-wing ideology interlaced into the curriculum. So..they agreed to revise the course to meet the Florida standards, set by legislation. 

Right - and as I said, your numbers are severely off.

“left wing ideology” “wokeness” What does that even mean to conservatives? 

You mean facts? Because that curriculum is factual. 

legit, what is the issue? Because it sure seems like anything that doesn’t uphold white supremacy gets placed in this whole/left wing box. So if it’s not that - then what is the problem? 

AP is revising the curriculum, and DeSantis may or may not approve it. Don’t twist that either. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I thought you would say you’d pick Trump, because he would be easier to beat in the general, which would be a reasonable argument for a Democrat, but there’s always the chance he could win, I guess. 

Honestly, Trump seems more unhinged now than ever before….

that was my first impulse, but he was unlikely to win the first time too. We just can’t risk it as a country 🤣

now my hope is DeSantis gets the nomination, and Trump runs as an Independent. 

but I agree, he’s out of his mind. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mercfan3 said:

Right - and as I said, your numbers are severely off.

“left wing ideology” “wokeness” What does that even mean to conservatives? 

You mean facts? Because that curriculum is factual. 

legit, what is the issue? Because it sure seems like anything that doesn’t uphold white supremacy gets placed in this whole/left wing box. So if it’s not that - then what is the problem? 

AP is revising the curriculum, and DeSantis may or may not approve it. Don’t twist that either. 

I’m not that interested in debating this, but there are prominent black Democrats who agree with DeSantis, like this guy. I’m not about to tell him he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

“Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor has been an outspoken critic of the governor, but the two men agree on the lack of educational value in the recently rejected AP African American Studies course.”

“Proctor teaches Political Science at Florida A&M, a historically black university in Tallahassee. Since 1985, he has served as a minister at Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church.”

• Like 1

Do you have any opinions about China's intent for the big white balloon that flew over Alaska's Aleutian Islands and Canadian airspace before entering U.S. airspace in violation of international law?

230203-china-baloon-mb-0707-77d323.jpg

A statement by the Chinese foreign ministry claims it's a civilian airship "used for scientific research such as meteorology" that "seriously deviated from the scheduled route" due to a "westerly wind."

The Pentagon confirmed another Chinese surveillance balloon is transiting over South America, and Canada's National Defense is also monitoring a "potential second incident."

This kind of activity has happened before in overflights of Florida, Hawaii, and Guam. The difference, according to the Defense Department, is the duration of this particular balloon's flight over U.S. territory. It steers by rudder but is also carried by the jet stream and is expected to remain over the U.S. for a few more days.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley recommended not taking "kinetic action" to bring down the balloon because the debris could cause injuries, deaths, or property damage over a large area. (It seems that risk could've been minimized by downing it over sparsely populated areas of Montana.)

A surveillance device should not be allowed to fly over our cities or sensitive military sites. Since this balloon apparently did, it should be prevented from sending any data back to China.

Edited by RTV
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RTV said:

Do you have any opinions about China's intent for the big white balloon that flew over Alaska's Aleutian Islands and Canadian airspace before entering U.S. airspace in violation of international law?

230203-china-baloon-mb-0707-77d323.jpg

A statement by the Chinese foreign ministry claims it's a civilian airship "used for scientific research such as meteorology" that "seriously deviated from the scheduled route" due to a "westerly wind."

The Pentagon confirmed another Chinese surveillance balloon is transiting over South America, and Canada's National Defense is also monitoring a "potential second incident."

This kind of activity has happened before in overflights of Florida, Hawaii, and Guam. The difference, according to the Defense Department, is the duration of this particular balloon's flight over U.S. territory. It steers by rudder but is also carried by the jet stream and is expected to remain over the U.S. for a few more days.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley recommended not taking "kinetic action" to bring down the balloon because the debris could cause injuries, deaths, or property damage over a large area. (It seems that risk could've been minimized by downing it over sparsely populated areas of Montana.)

A surveillance device should not be allowed to fly over our cities or sensitive military sites. Since this balloon apparently did, it should be prevented from sending any data back to China.

It’s pretty sure the rest of the world is laughing at us right now. They could have shot this thing down days ago. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

It’s pretty sure the rest of the world is laughing at us right now. They could have shot this thing down days ago. 

That's what I thought. To simply allow a Chinese spy balloon (if that's what it is) to remain over our country is an embarrassment and makes us look weak. I can't imagine a U.S. military leader agreeing to let that happen...unless there's something else secretly going on.

• Like 1

Just now, RTV said:

That's what I thought. To simply allow a Chinese spy balloon (if that's what it is) to remain over our country is an embarrassment and makes us look weak. I can't imagine a U.S. military leader agreeing to let that happen...unless there's something else secretly going on.

The generals I’ve seen comment on this genuinely seem embarrassed. 

59 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I’m not that interested in debating this, but there are prominent black Democrats who agree with DeSantis, like this guy. I’m not about to tell him he doesn’t know what he’s talking about. 

“Leon County Commissioner Bill Proctor has been an outspoken critic of the governor, but the two men agree on the lack of educational value in the recently rejected AP African American Studies course.”

“Proctor teaches Political Science at Florida A&M, a historically black university in Tallahassee. Since 1985, he has served as a minister at Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church.”

he literally says he doesn’t want to talk about women and gays in African American history. That’s his criticism. 

Republican or Democrat. Not okay.

Black women and Black queer people exist and had an impact on Black history and have had unique struggles both outside and inside the black community. It’s ridiculous this isn’t part of the mandatory curriculum- never mind a college course. 

But thanks for posting that because it’s clear now that politicians don’t want teachers talking about women and LGBTQ people. At least they say the quiet part out loud.

Edited by mercfan3

6 minutes ago, RTV said:

They haven’t shot it down because it’s huge, and they’re concerned about it hurting people. 

If it was an actual threat, I’m sure we would. 

There is also, I’m sure, a concern that China would view it as an act of war. 

8 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

he literally says he doesn’t want to talk about women and gays in African American history. That’s his criticism. 

Republican or Democrat. Not okay.

Black women and Black queer people exist and had an impact on Black history and have had unique struggles both outside and inside the black community. It’s ridiculous this isn’t part of the mandatory curriculum- never mind a college course. 

But thanks for posting that because it’s clear now that politicians don’t want teachers talking about women and LGBTQ people. At least they say the quiet part out loud.

He’s a college professor at an HBU and a pastor at a black church. I don’t care what his political leanings are…I value his opinion on this more than my own….or yours. 

39 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

They haven’t shot it down because it’s huge, and they’re concerned about it hurting people. 

I know. That's why bringing the balloon down while it was over a sparsely populated area of Montana seemed like a good solution to me, instead of letting it continue across areas of the nation that are densely populated.

Montana-population-density-map.png

Edited by RTV
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

There is also, I’m sure, a concern that China would view it as an act of war. 

Do you think Xi Jinping would just watch as a similar U.S. device floated across China gathering and transmitting data?

• Like 1