DWTS Season 28 Discussion Thread

*Amanda

After recovering from the shock of James and Emma’s elimination, I have analyzed why they got into danger in the first place, and why they were eliminated.

First, how did they wind up in the Bottom 2 in the first place? I think there were three reasons. First, James began as a real front runner, unlike Ally & Sasha, Lauren & Gleb and even Kel & Witney (after their first few dances). And unlike with Hannah, he consistently got very high scores and there were no complaints of underscoring with him. But the problem with that is that if you start out near the top, it’s difficult to improve much more.

Second, he may have been splitting votes with Kel. I thought that this might be a problem when Lauren and Frankenstein wound up in the Bottom 2 last week, as I thought they were splitting votes too. But I thought it would affect Kel, not James.

Which leads me to the third reason: complacency. Since James had never been in danger before, at least some of his voters might have slacked off or voted for others such as Kel. And this would hurt him if he had an off week, which he did, though probably through no fault of his own.

So why did the judges chose to save Ally & Sasha? I think there were two reasons why. The first is that they sincerely believed that Ally had been better than James over the past couple of weeks. Now I know that there are people here who definitely don’t agree, but this is about what the judges thought, not what they thought. And the judges definitely seemed to believe that Ally was better than James for the past two weeks.

But I think there was another reason, one that Elliott suggested: what Survivor fans might call the mercy vote. James had a very tough week, what with his wife’s tragic miscarriage. The judges might have believed that James should be with his family during such a tough time, or they might have feared that his grief might hurt him more if he continued on. Indeed, James apparently wasn’t sure if he should continue on after learning the bad news and his wife had to encourage him to continue. This probably either convinced the judges to let James go so he could properly grieve and heal, or at least added to their decision to save Ally and Sasha.

In short, James was the victim of a perfect storm of events, little of which was his fault, if any of it was.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we aren't getting a James and Emma freestyle :| :|

:'( :broken:

So much for seeing James dance to I Don’t Want to Wait. :'(

omg I remember us commenting and joking about that on Monday.... but ugh now not gonna happen. :'(

But then Lindsey can’t get the mirrorball she was robbed of. :'(

:)

People has revealed the couple/song combos for the 2nd week in a row.

https://people.com/tv/dancing-with-the-star...8-finale-songs/

In the second round, the couples will freestyle to the following tunes: Brown and Bersten to “Girl on Fire” by Alicia Keys and “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani, Alaina and Savchenko to “Country Girl” by Luke Bryan, Brooke and Farber to “Conga” by Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine, and Mitchell and Carson to “Jump” by Kris Kross.

Bachelor reddit already has a thread for it. :dead:

LMAOOO Not even surprised. :dead:At least they can leave Ally alone for awhile.

How do they make that combo work for Hannah's freestyle? Yikes.

MTE. :haha:

It could be for two distinct segments. Didn't Alfonso's freestyle have like three songs? :dead:

I'm thinking that will be the case - with the slower song starting off and then transitioning to the faster song.