Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

5 minutes ago, Solaris said:

every song on this list is a clear save choice.

I don’t think the HSM songs are at the same level as “Under the Sea” or “Beauty and the Beast.” 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

REMAINING
Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)**

Hakuna Matata (The Lion King)

Honor to Us All (Mulan)

Do You Want To Build a Snowman? (Frozen)

You've Got A Friend In Me (Toy Story)

Breaking Free (High School Musical)

We're All In This Together (High School Musical)

Gotta Go My Own Way (High School Musical 2)**

**Currently claimed 

24 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Save Beauty and the Beast (Beauty and the Beast)

Cut Gotta Go My Own Way (High School Musical 2)

Refresh

Honor To Us All

This song is not bad, but it's also not very memorable to me either. I think there are stronger Mulan songs that definitely deserve, and deserved to make it farther than this one does. I'm also not a big fan of the womans voice that is singing on the majority of the track, so that's something that also makes this song easier to cut. So um yeah overall the song definitely isn't bad, but I do not think that it is good enough to make it farther than this (although if it did i really wouldn't care). But it made it to the Top 100 so wohoo i guess. 

Save: Breaking Free

Do You Want To Build a Snowman? 

For my next cut I will be cutting a song from the 2013 animated musical fantasy film, Frozen. Of the more recent Disney movies, I do really enjoy a lot of Frozen songs including "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?" But it's also not on the level of three songs that I really love a lot from that movie franchise, so I'm fine with this going at this point. Especially against the other nominees of songs that I like. This song is sung by Anna in three different stages of her life where she was 5 years old, then 9 years old and lastly 18 years old (performed by Katie Lopez, Agatha Lee Monn and Kristen Bell). This song has a really innocent, cute and fun feel to it. It starts off so pure & innocent with the 5-year old and then has some fun moments in the song with the 9-year old Anna. Ooh aww there's a deep and sad moment in the song after that before current day 18-year old Anna sings her part, which is so sad and depressing. :broken: This song has a lot of different layers to it in just a 3:20 time span. 

Saving: We're All In This Together 

"GOTTA GO MY OWN WAY"

(HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2)

anigif_sub-buzz-5967-1488595335-7.gif

As much as I love High School Musical, at this point of the rankdown, their songs' inclusion in this is pretty expendable as they just don't hit as hard as the other songs remaining. Let's be honest : None of them are THE DISNEY SONGS, and while they could be seen as the better DCOM songs but that's not enough for me to save any of them at this point. As we know, this is a duet between Gabriella & Troy, but it's truly seen as Gabriella's shining moment in the sequel of High School Musical. It is sung when Gabriella decides that it's time to put herself first by quitting her job at Lava Springs and breaking up with Troy, who's been neglecting her and their friends' group, on top of Gabriella having enough of Sharpay who prevented the junior employees from being in the talent show. The song is probably one of my favourites from Vanessa Hudgens in the series, a slight improvement from her previous solo in the first movie. That being said, the song is not the standout from the sequel as that title goes to "Fabulous", which should have been the last song standing from the sequel. In recent years, this song found a resurgence in popularity due to TikTok, mainly Gabriella & Troy's duet part of the song. Anyway, as mentioned before, this is more than a fair spot for this song considering that we have lost some superior Disney songs during this cycle.

SAVING: BEAUTY & THE BEAST

Edited by *Chris

Hakuna Matata (Lion King)

Another song that when I saw the noms when I woke up but before I went to PT I thought I would save or would be saved. But the way the chips fall, I'll honor Chris's cut/save (because it's the exact same thing I would do lol) and that left me with "Hakuna Matata" and "You've Got a Friend In Me." Both are clearly iconic songs from two pillars of Disney's best animated franchises, and I thought that with how quickly Lion King songs had been saved in the past I wouldn't be here making this choice. But when it comes down to it, I am a bigger Toy Story fan than I am a Lion King fan and the franchise means a lot to me. And it helps that are more Lion King songs left including a couple that I consider better songs. I guess the other Lion King fans thought that way as well when they didn't choose to save this.

"Hakuna Matata" is a catchy song. It's the song where Simba grows up in the movie after he is left to die by his traitorous uncle Scar. It's all about him learning to live in the present despite the traumas of his past, which is great when you are a kid and you need to grow up, but something that you need to quickly get rid of when you have to depose your uncle and claim your throne. It's a very catchy song which you'd expect from Elton John and Tim Rice. But again, there are Lion King songs that I like better which are still in the game so unfortunately the song meets its end here.

Saving: You've Got a Friend in Me

NOMINATIONS:

A Spoonful of Sugar (Mary Poppins)
Feed the Birds (Tuppence a Bag) (Mary Poppins)
The Bells of Notre Dame (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
Out There (The Hunchback of Notre Dame)
True Love's Kiss (Enchanted)
When Will My Life Begin? (Tangled)
Mother Knows Best (Tangled)
Show Yourself (Frozen II)
The Family Madrigal (Encanto)
Surface Pressure (Encanto)
Proud Corazón (Coco)
Santa Fe (Newsies)

Santa Fe (Newsies)

Sorry Newsies fans but I am here first for once (work! you gotta do it to live unfortunately!) and I will let other people fight out the other songs. I think this is by far the easiest cut from this set so I guess as I think Alex is the only Newsies fan (Newsies head? What would the fandom all themselves) so you all can have at the rest. I don't have any strong feelings on "Santa Fe" or really Newsies in general, so instead of me making some comments on this. Here are some youtube comments.

First the description of this video uploaded by Newsiesfaan123 "Santa Fe is my favorite song from newsies 🙂 i like how jack puts feeling in the song :)"

That's great. I think Alex would disagree. This is not his favorite Newsies song but it is certainly the moment from the movie. Also Alex I am not trying to take digs specifically at you, I am just remembering the comments on this thread about what people said about the Newsies. Unfortunately, most of that comes from you.

Some comments:

"I just like how his voice is realistic... you know like an ordinary boy, and it just sounds real... like he's just thinking and dreaming to himself"

True. Christian Bale is a real person and his voice IS realistic.

"Jack Kelly's parents are dead

batman's parents are dead

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT"

Not the only comment to connect Christian Bale as Jack to Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman. One single continuity. All Actors are the same in every role. Next we need to have Christian Bale as Dick Cheney as Jack singing this song. The irony because Newsies is all about worker's rights and Dick Cheney is like freak the workers.

"I know a lot of people say Christian Bale isn't a fantastic singer and that's cool but like give the guy some credit, he does a pretty damn good job for someone who had to learn all those dance moves and sing the song in an accent that isn't his. Tbh, I haven't watched the Broadway version but god, I just love this song and I think Christian Bale does a fantastic job tbh"

Yah, guys, Christian Bale had to learn to SING and DANCE. You think for a movie musical they are just gonna cast anybody who can already do both??????????

"Frankly I don't think the broadway version is any better or worse, both versions kind of approach it from different angles. Christian's version is a bit more relaxed and slightly more day dreamy, while Jeremy's version is a lot sadder. It's kind of like Bale fantasizes about the future while Jeremy is thinking more about escaping the past and present."

The problem is that Jeremy Jordan was annoying the one time he got mad at Kara/Lena shippers from Supergirl (sorry if the show didn't want me to believe they were in love the directors of the episodes could have told Katie McGrath to tone it down :SHRUG:) but he's also an excellent musical theater guy. Now we have a comparison of a guy who can sing and dance.

"who else just dramatically danced and mouthed along to this song in their bedroom with all the passion and feeling they could muster"

Can the Newsies STANS here relate? Please let me know and more importantly please let ZoeGrant1929 on youtube know.

"Few realise... this is with no “auto tune” Yeah he’s not a singer..but Christian give all to any role. Christian is the Gem that is adored by many yet loved by fellow Thespians"

Fun fact I AM A THESPIAN.

"i first saw this movie when i was 17, when i heard the lyrics "For a dreamer night's the only time of day" I fell in love with this movie, words so simple having such a strong and poetic meaning..."

when you first realize songs can evoke feelings.

Also, I've been to Santa Fe and IDK what it was with musicals from the early 90s, but this is the SECOND song from that era (actually I think it came out before Rent officially debuted on Broadway) named "Santa Fe" that's about escaping life in New York to live in Santa Fe! What do New Yorkers see in New Mexico????????? It's nice but like. The peak?

You might notice that this write-up is now a bit longer. That's because the editor freaked up from my copy and pasting from Youtube.

Edited by totes4totes
  • Like 1

"PROUD CORAZON"

(COCO)

tumblr_p7bg87hzWv1wqkxafo6_400.gifv tumblr_p7bg87hzWv1wqkxafo7_400.gifv

I was truly limited with the songs nominated as I like or love all the songs nominated to a certain degree, and then there's "Proud Corazón", which is easily the song that I am the least attached to. This may be a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I can't say that I truly like the songs from Coco except for "Remember Me"; It's just not a Disney soundtrack that I seek out. This song is written by Adrian Molina and performed by Miguel. In the context of the film, this is the only song that is about Miguel's life and he wrote himself rather than singing songs that were written by his great-great-grandfather, Héctor, or traditional Mexican songs. Miguel performs it at the end of the film during the celebration of Dia de Los Muertos while dressed up as a mariachi player and playing the guitar that once belonged to his Héctor, with his other family members joining him.  As a whole, the song truly does a great job of encompassing the overall feeling of the film and its storyline. Overall, I don't dislike the song, but it's not one I particularly like either, so cutting it out of the nominated songs felt like the only option I had.

SAVING: SHOW YOURSELF

Edited by *Chris