Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

CYCLE 8

walt-disney-studios-disney.gif

Congratulations to the Top 100!

One of the remaining songs will be the winner of this game. There are still several rounds of gameplay left, but we're nearing the home stretch. 

This will be the final traditional nomination format for this rankdown. One at a time, you will nominate 12 songs for elimination. The other rankers will cut and save at a first come, first served basis. Write-ups must be posted within 30 minutes, or you will lose your claim on the selected songs. You're allowed to refresh your choices once before the time limit is up. And like always, write-ups must have at least 100 original words with an image and/or video. If there are any songs unclaimed 24 hours after nominations were posted, then any ranker can claim those remaining cuts/saves. By the end of this cycle, we'll be left with a little over half of the remaining songs. 

All the rankers are on equal footing, and all the songs are fair game. No songs have immunity and there are no nomination twists. It's just a standard rankdown nomination format for everybody. This is the last time you'll be nominating 12 songs at a time and everyone gets a cut and a save. The format will change after this cycle, so keep that in mind.

RANDOMIZER RESULT

hvC5QU.jpg

Erik is nominating first, and he's followed by Sola and so forth.

Nominations must be posted within 24 hours.

If you have any questions, then let me know.

Good luck to your favorites!

@Alex95 @*Chris @FrogLenzen @erik g @totes4totes @Solaris @*Wallace

Baby Mine

You Can Fly!

Chim Chim Cher-ee

Everybody Wants to Be a Cat

One Jump Ahead

Friend Like Me

Prince Ali

This Is Halloween

Jack's Lament

Oogie Boogie's Song

Sally's Song

I Just Can't Wait to Be King

Oogie Boogie's Song

I have nominated this song a couple of times, so it means it frees up a spot for my nominations next.  I do like the Nightmare Before Christmas, and I fear I have seen it too many times.  This is a villains song about oogie boogie.  It is sung by Oogie Boogie with a featured verse from Santa in the latter part of the song. It isn't one of my Top songs from the film and definitely falls in the bottom quarter.  It's just never really resonated with me.  Me a villain?  No way. Anyway this song has done really well getting to the Top 100!

Save: One Jump Ahead

Chim Chim Cher-ee (Mary Poppins)

I am once again cutting songs I love to save other songs that I think are more iconic to the Disney canon. I also think it helps that there are more Mary Poppins songs left in this rankdown than Dumbo songs so it's not too bad to lose this one at the Top 100. Watching a scene like this reminds me of just how incredibly charming Dick Van Dyke is. He's a little bit too young to be one of those old Hollywood leading men, but he's just the right age to really hit at the right time for the new TV. Probably why he has two sitcoms and a Variety show featuring him as a namesake and starring vehicle. For how boisterous as Dick Van Dyke's Bert typically is, this one is almost low key, especially the last minute or so. It ended up winning the 1964 Academy Award for Best Original song, and I think the levels that this song has is what contributes to that. And while it wouldn't be my choice from the movie I can't complain too much. Anyway, I love how delightfully awful Dick Van Dyke's Bert accent is and I feel that really only contributes to his character. I'm almost talking myself out of cutting this song so I'll just post the cut before I change my mind and lose my save.

Saving: Baby Mine

You Can Fly!

This song isn't a personal fave but it is certainly iconic and it gets stuck in my head every time I read the title. It wasn't sung by any of the characters, but rather by the chorus when the kids get the fairy dust and leave the house via flying out the window. It's a magical Disney moment and it makes sense to see this song in the Top 100 but I highly doubt there are any advocates for this to make it much further over other songs in this game. This movie came out in 1953 and then a year later they made a stage musical in 1954 but the musical had no affiliation with Disney and contained zero of the Disney songs. I always thought that was kind of weird! Disney's version was able to cast a child male actor in the role of Peter Pan when usually it was played by grown women. The perks of voice acting I guess

Save Friend Like Me

6 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

This movie came out in 1953 and then a year later they made a stage musical in 1954 but the musical had no affiliation with Disney and contained zero of the Disney songs. I always thought that was kind of weird!

So there was an original planned musical with music from Leonard Bernstein that was first staged in 1950 but had the songs cut down to 5 to play more like a straight drama. Probably what then happened is both Peter Pan the Disney movie probably had been in development long before that (it was actually in Disney development hell for what looks like nearly 15 years). It looks like since the 1950 version was a drama then another producer could secure the American musical rights and thus both the animated movie and the 1953 musical were developed independently but on parallel timelines.

• Like 1

Sally's Song

"Sally's Song" is a song from the 1993 stop-motion animated musical fantasy film, The Nightmare Before Christmas. "Sally's Song" is a really dark, twisted and haunted song that is performed by Sally (performed by). Is this really Catherine singing this song? 😮 She has a really pretty voice - and yeah she sings this in such a pretty and haunting way. The video is quite sad and heartbreaking and it makes me feel for Sally. :broken: Sadly this song is up against four other songs I love so it was between this song and another song... and sadly this is the one that happens to be my cut. But very well done and an impressive job to "Sally's Song" getting to the Top 100.

Saving: Prince Ali

• Sad 1

"EVERYBODY WANTS TO BE A CAT"

(THE ARISTOCATS)

untitled-0.gif

While not everyone may be family with songs featured in The Aristocats, "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" is without a doubt the most recognizable song featured in the film. It is sung by the main characters of the film: Scatman Crothers as Scat Cat, Phil Harris as Thomas O'Malley, Thurl Ravenscroft as Billy Boss the Russian Cat, Robie Lester as Duchess, and Liz English as Marie.  The song itself is has a catchy melody and lyrics which makes it hard to not be familiar with the song after only hearing it once.  However, at this stage of the rankdown, it's the little details that matter, and among the remaining nominated songs, this the song that I am the least attached to, and therefore, I'm fine with cutting it from the rankdown. Considering that the film is not considered a top-tier Disney film, the song's placement in the rankdown is quite impressive!

SAVING: I JUST CAN'T WAIT TO BE KING

Edited by *Chris

3 hours ago, totes4totes said:

for those of you who only know catherine o'hara (and eugene levy) from Schitt's Creek

The Kiss at the Rainbow scene when everyone runs out from backstage to see if they kiss makes me sob lmao

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Her sister is actually a singer too! So talent runs in the family!

Aww that's really cool! 😮 Who is her sister? Is she famous?