“Up, Down, Touch the Ground” - The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

“King of New York” - Newsies
“What’s This” - The Nightmare Before Christmas 

“When You Wish Upon A Star” - Pinocchio 

“Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf” - Silly Symphonies 

“Who's Been Painting My Roses Red” - Alice In Wonderland

@Alex95 @*Chris @FrogLenzen @erik g @totes4totes @Solaris @*Wallace

Someday My Prince Will Come

Did I reuse this write up? Yes. Did I cut this previously? Yes. Did I nominate this?  Yes.  Did I do it because I am Wild?  No.  Did I nominate this song because I don't like the song?  Yes. Elliott nominated a lot of great songs, and this is not one of them.  I don't mind Snow White.  There are some live action versions of this movie that I think I like more.  This music in this movie feel so dated, and that's because it is.  It has a nice Melody I suppose, but I am not inspired in the slightest by this song.  Maybe its because I don't care for the message that a prince is going to come sweep her off her feet and take her to a castle where they will live happily ever after. Am I taking out the most popular song from the movie?  No, I'm Wishing and Heigh-Ho are still in.

For good measure I listened to a more updated version of the song.  I still don't like it, and I might actually like it even less.

Save: Even More Enchanted

The Age of Not Believing

age-of-not-believing.jpg

This song is very Mary Poppins-esque, which I guess makes sense since it was written by the Sherman Brothers. But like, a poor man's version of Mary Poppins lol. I have not seen the movie so I'm not sure if the Mary Poppins comparison works, but I see two young kids, the boy kinda looks like Michael. And a maternal figure singing about believing in yourself while making the bed lol. Idk I think I'm cooking here! Having said that, and no disrespect to the late great Dame Angela Lansbury, I'd take Dame Julie Andrews over her any day of the week 🙈. This is a sweet song. Not one that I'd really listen to again or makes me want to check out the movie. But its nice. We're already more than halfway through the game and I just fear nice isn't gonna cut it at this point.

Save King of New York

• Sad 1

Who's Been Painting My Roses Red

This technically isn't a labeled as a reprise, but let's be honest. It's a reprise. "We're Painting the Roses Red" is a very famous melody and a lowkey bop. Then there's a dance break, which idk if it's considered part of one song, the other song, or neither song lol. Then the Queen of Hearts shows up. She sings her little version of the melody. It lasts about 10 seconds. There's some talking. The backup choir sings briefly about losing heads in a very clear and obvious REPRISE and that's it. Not that I have anything particular against reprises but I don't find this one to be very iconic and I prefer like 8 others that are already gone. So imo this is a super safe cut considering the original Painting Roses song is still in the game. Honestly I wouldn't have even noticed if these were included as one song, but it doesn't matter anymore because this one is out.

Save Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf

Up Down Touch the Ground 

I am low key confused lol, my research tells me that this song is what Winnie the Pooh sings to make him hungry? How does that work... it also kind of makes me want to try it out though. Anyways it's a cute little song for little kids, and it's a little catchy but that's about it.  If I heard this song a bunch of times on repeat I'm probably get annoyed pretty quickly. It actually might just be the guys voice that slightly irritates me because I just listened to in instrumental version and I actually like it more honestly. 

Save Moment of Truth

• Sad 1

Touch the Sky

“Touch the Sky” is a song from the 2012 American animated fantasy film. I did cut a song from Brave just a couple of rounds ago and left this one alone as I liked it more than the previous song. But at this point, I'm fine with it going. I don't really know much of anything about Brave. "Touch the Sky" is sung by Scottish folk singer, Julie Fowlis. Though it is sung by Merida, who is the lead character of Brave. This song has a really nice, positive and uplifting feel to it. It's nice and enjoyable but overall not really a song that stands out or does much for me. Merida does seem like a strong and powerful character.   I also see and learned that this song was nominated the Best Original song at the Houston Film Critics Society, which is very cool to learn.

Saving: "I 2 I"

• Sad 2

REMAINING 

”It’s All Right” - Soul

“More Than A Band” - Lemonade Mouth
“What’s This” - The Nightmare Before Christmas 

“When You Wish Upon A Star” - Pinocchio 

"More Than a Band" from Lemonade Mouth

Oh this is actually a sweet song. It's from the DCOM Lemonade Mouth and being a non-HSM, non-Cheetah Girls DCOM to me means like auto-elimination from this rankdown. In addition it's up against "What's This" and "When You Wish Upon a Star" so obviously it's getting cut. So sorry to this and to the Lemonade Mouth fans. But let's be real. As big a fan as you may be of Lemonade Mouth that cannot match how big a fan I am of Lesbian Jesus Hayley Kiyoko. I mean I have her whole discography imprinted in my brain. "Curious" is a legit banger and it makes probably every playlist I ever make. (Except the KPOP ones...this may also just be a sign that every playlist I make is GAY).  She's dating a former Bachelor contestant (one day I can give you the WHOLE Tilley family rundown LOL). I listened to like multiple episodes of Becca Tilley's Grey's Anatomy and relationship themed podcast just for Hayley Kiyoko tidbits. I think Hayley Kiyoko paved the way for future out artists like Fletcher and Renee Rapp. I'm obsessed. Continue the lesbian tradition and put her in the next animated Disney musical!

Saving: What's This

• Confused 1

"IT'S ALL RIGHT"
(SOUL)

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xd3kmaqc2f0wiokvw9rg4wr2s02s2zx8dq8wa77y&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I'm cutting "It's All Right" from Soul for two reasons. The first being that I haven't seen the film. The second being that the other song remaining is a classic Disney song. When you think of "When You Wish Upon a Star", Disney and Pinocchio immediately come to mind, but the same cannot be said for "It's All Right", especially since most people wouldn't be able to tell you which Disney/Pixar's film it's featured on. The song only appears in the film's end credits, and therefore it's not really a song being featured in the movie. We've cut similar end-credit songs before, so it's only fair that we apply the same logic here. The song is performed by Jon Batiste, who suddenly gained lots of recognition in recent years after being the bandleader and music director on The Stephen Colbert Show. While it's a nice song, it's not something I would actively listen to on its own. As mentioned earlier, it's not an iconic song like "When You Wish Upon a Star" and therefore making it a fair cut at this stage of the rankdown.

SAVING: WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 1

Aww I was sad to see "It's All Right" get cut.... but then I saw it was against "When You Wish Upon a Star," so I get it / it makes sense. I wish both could have stayed but oh well. :haha: