ALEX: 1

MEGAN: 2

SOLA: 8

CHRIS: 10

DEREK: 12

ERIK: 16

WALLACE: 20

ALEX

Whew. This entire movie has me in awe, but this song specifically. So dark, so honest, so raw, so un-Disney. The evangelical right tries to destroy Disney on a weekly basis for being too "woke". Can you just imagine the reactions if Disney tried to create a kids movie today where the main villain was a priest who wants to murder a WOC because she won't sleep with him. The backlash would be delicious. But I'd be #seated on opening night.

Didn't really pay much attention to Heaven's Light being connected to Hellfire here. Kinda weird, but I do enjoy the juxtaposition of the two songs here. But Heaven's Light is very clearly the appetizer which leads us to our main course, Hellfire. The title alone, how that got past the censors is beyond me. With this movie, it felt like Disney actually cared about creating quality content and not just being as uncontroversial as possible. The song itself is brilliant. Each lyric feels like a piece of poetry. It is such a scathing indictment of religious hypocrisy that we do not see enough of. As a religious person who has lots of issues with organized religion, specifically the Catholic Church, this song just speaks to me on such a spiritual level. No it's not catchy, but if the horny priest song was catchy I think we'd have a lot of issues with it. It's simply honest, and brave. It's well-written. The animation of the fires engulfing him are so symbolic of the character and just stunning to watch. Derek mentioned Hunchback being overrepresented by the top 100, but I disagree. I think it has easily the most underrated soundtrack in Disney history and a few of the songs are amongst the best of all-time, including Hellfire. Bells of Notre Dame is my all-time favorite Disney song, but if I can't rank that first I'm proud to rank this one first in its place.

MEGAN

I know these are grouped together on the soundtrack but these are essentially two different songs. But I LOVE that we've left them together. Partially because this means we really get a sneaky backdoor second Hunchback song in this Top 20, and partially because I think each song makes the other better. "Hellfire" in particular has some of the best imagery both lyric wise and animation in the entire movie and of the entire Disney canon. There is a lot of me that cannot believe that Hunchback of Notre Dame ever got adapted by Disney and a bigger part of me that cannot believe that they got away with "Hellfire." I think the rest of the movie really should have gone as hard as "Hellfire" because I think that a Disney children's adaptation of Hunchback of Notre Dame is a hard sell, but like a Disney Animated Feature made for Adults would have been incredible.

SOLA

I am happy that the Hunchback of Notre Dam is represented in the final ranking.  While I personally prefer The Bells of Notre Dame, I do like specifically the Hellfire portion of this song that is sung by Claude Frollo.  It’s an interest dynamic giving this type of a song to the villain,  because we see just how dark Frollo is as a character. I am giving it a spot in my Top 10 because I love a great villain song! Its also extremely dramatic, and I love that in a performance/song. Hoping it does well, Wally will probably tank it since he doesn’t seem to know this movie.

CHRIS

The entire soundtrack of The Hunchback of Notre Dame is truly underrated by many, including rankers in this rankdown, so I'm pleased to see this song make it into the Top 20. I was beginning to lose hope, as it seemed that songs from the film were frequently targeted by some rankers - more proof that the soundtrack is truly underappreciated.  The song is undeniably one of the top songs from the soundtrack, and it's one of the many great songs featured in the film - Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz truly know how to create a flawless Disney movie soundtrack.  On another note, I am forever mad that the stage adaptation never made it to Broadway, as it's truly remarkable and probably one of the better Disney stage adaptation - luckily we have slime tutorials to watch and the soundtrack to listen to!

DEREK

The intro Heaven’s Light portion is fine, but what makes this song deserve the finals is the STARK contrast from that into the opposite villain song that starts right after. I feel like Disney never attempted anything like this before or since. Like bro, just take some personal time in your bedroom and take care of business, no need to burn down all of paris just because you thought someone was hot. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire. Leave Esmeralda out of this you pervert lol

ERIK

This is a good song but I were bored and sat down and listened to this song I would've fallen asleep.

WALLACE

I'm sure many, if not all, of you were expecting me to cut "Heaven's Light/Hellfire" as my final cut if Alex hadn't given it his immunity. But I was not 100% certain on doing that. I'm fine with and can deal with one The Hunchback of Notre Dame song in the finals. :haha: And I'm also fine with this being my easy #20. This song does have a powerful and kinda epic feel to it. The music is intense and powerful. The singing is strong and really good. But like with the Hunchback songs, they are still songs I lack and can't really grasp or connect with AND I can't really see myself listening to multiple times. I get that's not the purpose for these songs and it doesn't need to be at all, but I'm just explaining why I don't connect with these songs compared to the other Disney songs.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#8 Posted)

I am fine with the Part of Your World placement. 

Very happy with Heaven’s Light/Hellfire ranking - it exceeded my expectations! 

Well done to "Heaven's Light/Hellfire" making it all the way to 8th place. I knew that most of the rankers love this so I'm not surprised with its ranking.

Though to Sola, I don't know how I can tank something that is my least favorite song here. :haha: 

5 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Well done to "Heaven's Light/Hellfire" making it all the way to 8th place. I knew that most of the rankers love this so I'm not surprised with its ranking.

Though to Sola, I don't know how I can tank something that is my least favorite song here. :haha: 

you still tanked it

24 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Screenshot 2024 05 10 at 11.16.56 PM

Looking at these standings, it's really funny how no one's #11s are revealed except for me. Meanwhile the exact opposite happened with the #10s - only my #10 isn't revealed while the other #10s are revealed. :haha: 

7. REFLECTION

6091d5bdb694e102ef6801b1a3d06c659065f8a2.gif

Mulan

SOLA: 1

ERIK: 2

MEGAN: 6

WALLACE: 8

CHRIS: 11

ALEX: 18

DEREK: 20

SOLA

This song is iconic, and one of my Top songs from Disney.  Reflection is all about someone who’s being placed in an assumed role but doesn’t truly fit them.  Its themes are very fitting for many individuals in the LGBT community.  This song has a beautiful melody and a powerful message.  Mulan is one of my favorite Disney films and this song is crowned jewel on top of a great movie.  I don’t think it will win, as there are some who don’t love it like I do that are ranking.  I hope that by putting it at #1, I am able to at least pull it into a Top 10 spot. Thanks Erik for giving it immunity, so I didn’t have to! This song is also responsible for assisting in launching Christina Aguilera’s career, and she’s one of my favourite artists.

ERIK

I was debating in the last round on whether to save this song or Un Poco Loco. I knew I liked this song like way more but I also knew that if I did not save Un Poco Loco it would most likely get cut. I was right lol, but I don't regret saving this song at all. It's easily one of the best balads of any disney princess ever. It's absolutely gorgeous, and I love the lyrics here too. Lea Salonga did that. And also don't even get me started on Christina Aguileras version too, she ate this dowwwwwwnnnnn.

MEGAN

As a kid I LOVED Mulan because she was the first East Asian Disney Princess. Also, Lea Salonga is an icon. Again, I love a Disney Ballad and a Disney "I want" song. I think most of them are executed nearly perfectly and this is not exception. Lea Salonga (and Christina Aguilera) really bring this song to life and make it one of the most iconic Disney songs from the Renaissance. Additionally, it's gay. Also, fun fact, without this song there's a good argument we never get Christina Aguilera the pop star as we know her through the late 90s to today. Her recording of it is what skyrocketed her to popularity to the point where she was signed by RCA.

WALLACE

"Reflection" is the gorgeous, moving power ballad from Mulan. "Reflection" is so stunning and beautiful. Mulan (singing portrayed by Lea Salonga) sings this song with so much emotion and vulnerablity, it is truly so moving. 😢 I do love how she starts off singing the song softly and emotionally. But I also really love how she builds the song up and truly belts it out. She really sings this song from her heart and it shows. 😢 While I do really like the original Lea Salonga version, I do love and feel more partial towards the Christina Aguilera version. I feel I have gotten to know and love that version more over the years.

CHRIS

Let it be known that ''Reflection'' is the superior Lea Salonga song featured in this Top 20! I'm actually surprised by my ranking, as I thought it would be higher considering my love for the film and the song. However, upon ranking the songs, it ended up just outside my Top 10, which truly speaks to the overall quality of the songs in this Top 20. Anyway, the song owes much of its greatness to Lea Salonga's vocals from start to finish, but an honourable mention goes to Christina Aguilera's version, as it's one of the better cover of a Disney song to be released as single.

ALEX

I do love this song, but I'm partial to the more fun songs here. I think it's great within the context of the movie it's everything it needs to be. The song also has obvious mainstream appeal outside of the movie. Xtina helped blow it up, but I still prefer Lea Solanga. So really I have no complaints about the song! Just a bit boring compared to some of the other show-stoppers here.

DEREK

Unpopular opinion. This song is boring as hell. It’s a classic and I’m not shocked it’s here but eh. Mulan has some bangers and this is not one of them. Honor To Us All is more interesting lyrically, musically, visually, and plotwise. Lea Salonga is a queen of course. But this is a ballad and it’s still less than 2 minutes long??? So it barely has any substance at all. The message is great and fits the movie. Now I’m just rambling to get to a word count beyond “this isn’t for me but sure.” Would I have cut this if it didn’t have immunity?? Hmm, probably not but you never know how everything else would have shaken out.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#7 Posted)

Good spot for "Reflection." 

LOL I love how nearly all of us have mentioned Christina Aguilera's version in our write-ups. :dead: Disappointed that Derek didn't mention her though. :( :giggle: