ERIK: 5

CHRIS: 6

SOLA: 6

ALEX: 12

WALLACE: 13

DEREK: 14

MEGAN: 14

ERIK

I've loved this song since the first time I've ever heard it and i finally understand why. During quarantine is when I really started listening and appreciating music more than I ever have before and I started listening to a lot of older soulful female vocalists like Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, Ella Fitzgerald, and Etta James, Gladys Knight and other woman from like way before I was born and this song gives me the same feeling I get when I listen to those older classics, likely because of the jazzy production and Anika Noni Rose's  absolutely beautiful, classing sounding voice.

CHRIS

If there's a song in this Top 20 that's underrated in the grand scheme of things, it's certainly "Almost There," and I'd say the same for the entire soundtrack of the film. One of the key reasons I absolutely love this song is because of Anika Noni Rose's powerful vocals. She manages to convey Tiana's conviction, aspiration, and ambition to chase her dreams throughout the song, truly making us feel every emotion. On top of the incredible vocals, the Cajun-meets-jazz melody makes it even more memorable. It has that catchy tune that one looks for in a great Disney song. And like any other songs, the lyrics, the work of Randy Newman, just add to an already great song, perfectly capturing Tiana's determination to make her dreams a reality despite everything thrown at her. In my opinion, all of these elements, combined with simply enjoying and loving the song, make it one of the best in the Top 20. I elevated its placement a spot or so because I wanted to give this song the best possible placement it deserves all the love in the world.

SOLA

I am elated that Almost There is in the final ranking. Almost There is a song from Princess and the Frog, sung by Princess Tiana.  It is the best song from the movie and one of my Top 10 songs from Disney.  This song is about Tiana quickly approaching her goal of opening up her own restaurant. Jazz isn’t typically a style we hear in Disney films.  With New Orleans as the center of the movie, having a bunch of Jazz-inspired numbers only made sense.  The feeling of this song is so different from everything else in this rankdown and thus stands out in a great way.

ALEX

Princess and the Frog seems to be such a random movie in the Disney canon. It's kinda just a reliable B+ movie in every capacity. It nails the animation, the plot, the soundtrack, everything. But I feel like it's not a homerun. The soundtrack is the aspect of the movie that is closest to a homerun for me though. Maybe it's a triple? We've got Dig a Little Deeper and Friends on the Other Side. But I will agree with Almost There being the top pick from the movie. I think the art deco style is really fun and unique here. Really makes the song stand out in a positive way. And Anika Noni Rose has so much charisma that just shines through the animation. The jazzy influences of New Orleans are felt the whole way through. Just a great song!

WALLACE

I was hoping for "Almost There" to make the final 20 for some The Princess and the Frog and yay I'm glad it made it there. "Almost There" is a really smooth, gorgeous and fun song. I love how it starts off in a subtle and soft way. Then I love it even more when it picks up in the uptempo portion of the song. Anika Noni Rose sounds so beautiful on and throughout the song. :wub: I love how this song has this joyous and infectious feel to it and it just makes me smile whenever I hear this!

DEREK

Anika Noni Rose, what a gem. This fantasy sequence with the different animation style is probably the best part of this movie. Honestly the songs in this movie are consistently great, but somehow all together this movie doesn’t quite rise to the level of all timer. They really needed to go back to the drawing board with the plot for this one and think of something different than the double frog twist. Or maybe shorten the time with them as frogs. Idk, there’s something else they could have done here because so much of this was correct. Anyway, this song is great and I’m not surprised to see it in the end.

MEGAN

I actually didn't realize it at first that this was a Randy Newman song but the second I read that on the Wikipedia I was like "yah, that makes 100% sense." I think The Princess and the Frog suffers a bit because this was supposed to be Disney's big return to form after a decade of weirdness at its very best (Lilo & Stitch) to maybe the worst Disney movie (Chicken Little) to a bunch of mediocrity in between (though there are plenty of individual brilliant moments in Treasure Planet and Atlantis but just not enough to really rise above to the DISNEY brand) and this movie comes up just short. It felt like Disney and the public really wanted it to be BATB and TLM good and instead it just 4/5 movie. But Anika Noni Rose is just perfect and this sequence is just a knockout. It's my favorite sequence of animation in the entire movie

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#10 Posted)
11 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

why is Megan talking about Randy Newma——
Oh My God Reaction GIF

hahahaha. I literally put the song on and went "Did Randy Newman do the soundtrack for Princess and the Frog and I never realized?" and yah he did.

9. PART OF YOUR WORLD

da8ea629ddc29decf361104a0c716b1cd96c5b6f.gif

The Little Mermaid

ERIK: 1

DEREK: 7

CHRIS: 9

MEGAN: 9

WALLACE: 11

ALEX: 14

SOLA: 19

ERIK

I love me a good piano ballad.  I am one of the people who prefer Halle Bailey's version of this song over Jodi Benson's. But, that doesn't discredit how amazing Jodi sounds on this song. Even though I prefer Halle's i still go back and listen to Jodi's version pretty often. I remember I saw a YouTube comment one time saying that you can hear the longing in Halle's version and the hope in Jodi's version, and I could not word it any better. I am extremely proud of the fact that I know every single word of this song.

DEREK

This was the Let It Go for millennials. This was THE song. Jodi Benson is an instant and forever legend for this performance. It’s interesting that this song was kind of turned into a monster power ballad in the new version, but in the original the instrumentation is limited and it’s more subdued. More pure. I feel like this might get tanked? But I cannot do that. I thought that this would be among the controversial final cuts in the game, but instead Beauty and the Beast got wrecked. I would have been heartbroken either way I guess, but objectively there’s a right and wrong answer.

CHRIS

"Part of Your World" from Disney's "The Little Mermaid" is undoubtedly one of Disney's timeless anthems, brilliantly delivered by Jodi Benson. Serving as Ariel's "I Want" song in the film, the lyrics paints us an image of her yearning to explore a world beyond her underwater home, largely due to Jodi Benson's vocal delivery on top of her storytelling. There's no denying that this song has contributed significantly to the enduring popularity and recognition of the film, particularly due to the iconic scene that accompanies the song. In my opnion, it holds its place as one of the best "I Want" songs in the Disney canon, a testament to the greatness of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman. While I love the song, I chose to rank it slightly lower that I originally would have had it ranked, mainly to try and avoid having a predictable winning song for the rankdown - but if it were to come on top as the winner, I wouldn't be objected to it. 

MEGAN

I did a write-up for some TLM song a while back and I said that I think there's a case to be made that the original TLM has maybe the strongest collection of songs in the Disney canon. And I think that it's fitting that both this and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" made the Top 20 and that in my Top 20 ranking they are featured back-to-back. I think this is the one song in both the animated original and live action version where they are equally good. Jodi Benson's voice is just stunning as is Halle Bailey's. It's such a shame that Disney went for such "realism" in the live action that Halle Bailey's is bogged down by how dark visually the scene is. Like it does take place in Ariel's little secret hidey hole and in the animated the background is muted but that just causes Ariel (and Flounder and Sebastian) to pop. It's particularly egregious in the live action where Flounder just looks like some random background fish. They needed to give Halle Bailey more light in this scene! TOO MANY movies these days are TOO DARK.

WALLACE

"Part of Your World" is one of the many memorable and standout songs from The Little Mermaid. I was really hoping to see this song make it to the finals and I'm glad it did. I can't remember if this song was nominated in this game. I think it might have been once, maybe twice at most? I knew it had an easy run in the game and am glad it did. "Part of Your World"  is a really stunning and gorgeous song. Ariel (portrayed by Jodi Benson) sings this song so beautifully and with a lot of heart. ❤️ Her voice is so stunning and angelic... and it's just so lovely to listen to. :wub: 

ALEX

We've got a few "I want" songs in the end here, but this is easily the most iconic. The Little Mermaid has a pretty beloved soundtrack, and deservingly. This is one of the few cases where I kind of wouldn't have minded seeing the reprise here instead? Don't get me wrong, it's a great song either way! But just that shot of Ariel on the rocks is everything to me and one of the most inspired pieces of animation Disney has given us. Having said that, obviously I love Part of Your World. Lyrically, one of the best ones here. It has a good mix of humor and longing. While I tend to be partial to the big showstoppers, judged by the fact that many of them are higher than this one, I can't say this is one of my top choices. But I think it's in the running to win, and it would make a very deserving winner.

SOLA

You can thank Halle Bailey for me not targeting this in the rankdown.  If this were 2-3 years ago I would have cut this without concern.  However, Halle made me appreciate it again. I would rather see Poor Unfortunate Souls take the win for that movie.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#9 Posted)

wow I'm actually surprised at this placement. I figured it would get a tank or two, but 9/9/11 from Megan/Chris/Wallace is unexpected. Thought they would all have this in the 5-8 range

I'm not too surprised with the ranking for "Part of Your World." A good spot for that song. I had a feeling that "Poor Unfortunate Souls" would beat this.

lol at me still waiting for my Bottom 2 to show up while most of my Top 4 already got revealed. 🙂  

55 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

wow I'm actually surprised at this placement. I figured it would get a tank or two, but 9/9/11 from Megan/Chris/Wallace is unexpected. Thought they would all have this in the 5-8 range

i want to see your initial predictions compared to the final outcomes for everybody. LOL

• Like 1

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

i want to see your initial predictions compared to the final outcomes for everybody. LOL

haha I didn't do a full prediction set for this one. Good thing because I would have been super wrong lol. Maybe I could do it with this Top 8 tho...