Songs of the 1990s Mini Rankdowns (Final Round)

Steven_

12. ANGEL OF MINE – MONICA

a580cf8b81979c30dae10942545cd480.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

WALLACE: 4

AKSHAR: 8

CHRIS: 9

QK: 9

LILY: 10

TOM: 10

NICO: 11

STEVEN: 11

RICHARD: 12

ALEX: 13

GIGI: 13

DEREK: 14

ERIK: 15

COREY: 16

WALLACE

monica-angel-of-mine.gif

I do feel like and think Monica has been a little underrated here in this game, well moreso with her mid 90s music (from 1995-1997).  But I am glad I was able to push through two of my favorite Monica songs through to their respective Top 20's ("The Boy is Mine" and "Angel of Mine"). I will always stand by the fact that Monica absolutely slayed it with her The Boy Is Mine album era. She had 3 huge hits, all sounded completely different from each other with different messages to them and all just amazing songs imo! But yeah I really and absolutely adore "Angel of Mine" a ton! :wub: This is really up there as amongst one of my favorite songs from Monica. I also remember being so shook in finding out "Angel of Mine" wasn't a Monica original, in fact it was a cover of a song from Eternal, which I still don't know if I ever heard that version before. 

I love everything about this song, of course! I love how angelic and heavenly the music production is. But then I also love how angelic and beautiful Monica's voice is here. She sounds so gorgeous from start to finish here. ❤️ I love how she sings that entire first verse that goes:

When I first saw you I already knew
There was something inside of you
Something I thought that I would never find
Angel of mine
I look at you, lookin' at me
Now I know why they say the best things are free
I'm gonna love you boy you are so fine
Angel of mine

Monica does sing the pre-chorus in a lovely way too. But I really love it where she sings the chorus, which is so beautiful, that goes: 

How you changed my world you'll never know
I'm different now, you helped me grow
You came into my life sent from above
When I lost all hope you showed me love
I'm checkin' for you, boy, you're right on time
Angel of mine

:wub: I also really love how Monica sings the second verse of the song that goes:

Nothing means more to me than what we share
No one in this whole world can ever compare
Last night the way you moved is still on my mind
Angel of mine 

Deep inside I need to show

Yepp, I lovee it all! :wub: Ooh and actually when it comes to the chorus, I really love all of the vocal ad-libs that she adds on the second chorus. Those are so good and gorgeous! But then.... ooo the BRIDGE! That's one of my biggest and most standout parts of the song where Monica sings:

I never knew I could feel each moment
As if it were new
Every breath that I take, the love that we make
I only share it with you (You, you, you, you)

That part of the song always stays and gets stuck in my head! :wub: Monica vocally slays the rest of the song so effortlessly and with such ease! Especially all of those killer ad-libs she showcases here:

You came into my life sent from above (Came in to my life, yeah)
When I lost all hope you showed me love (Boy you showed me love, uh huh)
I'm checkin' for ya, boy you're right on time (But boy your right on time)
Angel of mine (Angel of mine, oh mine)

Then I love how Monica brings the song full circle with how she softly closes out the song. She brings such pretty, lovely and stunning vocals towards the end and it's all just sooo beautiful. :wub:

Again, I do really love "Angel of Mine" and am so glad to have it in the Top 20 and an especially big thank you to those rankers that voted this through into the Top 20. I'm SOOO happy about that. :wub: I don't expect this to rank too well, as it didn't get too many votes in the voting round and that's okay. I am just praying and hoping that this can hopefully avoid showing up in the first set. Not sure if it can do so or if it will show up there - but regardless I'm happy to have this song in the Top 20!

RICHARD

Very pretty ballad. It’s a solid vocal showcase for Monica without going over the top, and the song really lets her shine in that way.

ERIK

This song is fine but idk i buddy cant with her voice during the 90s

COREY

I don't really care much for either Brandy or Monica outside of their collaboration, but this might be my favorite solo song by Monica. It is slow, but Monica fills the empty spots with her singing.

11. I WANT IT THAT WAY – BACKSTREET BOYS

8ee8970f7def8832fd40b2cac5d47289.1000x857x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 3

GIGI: 3

WALLACE: 3

AKSHAR: 6

ERIK: 6

RICHARD: 8

STEVEN: 10

LILY: 13

ALEX: 14

COREY: 14

QK: 18

TOM: 18

NICO: 19

CHRIS: 20

WALLACE

backstreet-boys-i-want-it-that-way.gif

LoL I know there is a lot of negative stigma around boy bands, but we all know "I Want It That Way" is an iconic song and there's no way you can deny that. :kissbye: hahaha though I am serious about that, I do really love "I Want It That Way." It's honestly such a classic, memorable and great pop song. I was really hoping to advance this with Gigi as I didn't know if this song stood a chance of surviving the cuts, maybe it could have - maybe it wouldn't have? I was too scared to risk it, lmaoo. :dead:

But yeah, "I Want It That Way" does stand out as my favorite song from the Backstreet Boys. I just love how easygoing and easy listening this song is. Although what is it about? Do we even know to this day?  I do love how Brian and Nick start off the slow part / opening verse of the song where they sing:

You are my fire
The one desire
Believe when I say
I want it that way 

But we are two worlds apart
Can't reach to your heart
When you say
That I want it that way

The chorus is also really great - as it's so catchy and easy to sing along to... and it just has that warmth to it where the boys sing:

Tell me why
Ain't nothing but a heartache
Tell me why
Ain't nothing but a mistake
Tell me why
I never wanna hear you say
I want it that way

:bobo: 

AJ sings the second verse and he sounds great on his part of the song. Though it's a shorter part than I remembered it being:

Am I your fire
Your one desire, desiiireee
Yes I know it's too late
But I want it that way

I also like how the boys switch who sings lead on the chorus. First it was Nick and then it was AJ on the second verse. Kevin has a great part on the bridge and I've always really loved his part. I felt like he was one of the more under-used/underrated members of the group but his part is great where he sings:

Now I can see that we're falling apart
From the way that it used to be, yeah
No matter the distance
I want you to know
That deep down inside of mmmeeeee

It's also nice how Howie has a solo part here. He's another member of the group that was underrated/under-used. After that, I do love the part where Nick belts out Don't wanna hear you say

Another part that I love that stands out to me is that part where Brian does those long vocal runs where he sings that Tell me wwwwhhhhyyyyy part! That always stood out to me. Then I love how AJ closes the song sofly singing Cause I want it that way.

Well since I think that "Everybody" was the more IDF appealing song from the Backstreet Boys, I am not too sure and not confident that "I Want It That Way" will do well at all here. Sadly I think this may show up on the first set as people may find/view it as cheesy, which I can get.... but oh well if that happens. I'm just happy to have it in the Top 20 as it was one of my biggest favorite songs of 1999!

ERIK

Chorus goes crazy but i dont care about the rest of the song lol

RICHARD

Solid pop song that’s nice to listen to and has a nostalgic feeling behind it. It’s not anything super complex or dynamic, but it’s a good song for what it is.

STEVEN

The song is a classic, but the lyrics are confusing. "I never wanna hear you say / I want it that way / 'Cause I want it that way." What?

COREY

This song is halfway between the too sappy songs the Backstreet Boys are known for and the rockin' danceable tunes that they are also known for.

10. HAVE YOU EVER – BRANDY

b841b6370d14e742e40f53b3165682b1.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ERIK: 1

GIGI: 4

TOM: 5

AKSHAR: 7

WALLACE: 7

RICHARD: 9

ALEX: 12

CHRIS: 12

LILY: 12

QK: 14

STEVEN: 14

NICO: 17

COREY: 19

DEREK: 19

ERIK

LITERALLY ONE OF THE GREATEST SONGS EVER RECORDED

WALLACE

giphy.webp

"Have You Ever" is such a beautiful and gorgeous song from Brandy! :wub: It's always been a song I listened to a lot and loved a lot when it was out. I feel like I haven't heard it in quite awhile. But it does bring back great memories. "Have You Ever" has so much heart and warmth to it, which makes it easy to listen to. Brandy sounds lovely singing the chorus of the song too:

Have you ever loved somebody
So much it makes you cry?
Have you ever needed something
So bad you can't sleep at night?
Have you ever tried to find the words
But they don't come out right?
Have you ever, have you ever?

From the first verse of the song, I do really love the latter half of it where Brandy sings:

Have you ever had someone steal your heart away
You'd give anything to make them feel the same?
Have you ever searched for words to get you in their heart
But you don't know what to say
And you don't know where to start?

❤️ The second verse has a lot of heartfelt sentiment to it as well. I really love the parts where she sings:

Have you finally found the one you've given your heart to
Only to find that one won't give their heart to you?
Have you ever closed your eyes and
Dreamed that they were there
And all you can do is wait for the day when they will care?

Oooh but then one of my veryyy favorite parts of the song is the bridge! Brandy pours so much heart, passion and emotion into that part of the song and I love how she builds that part up so much too:

What do I gotta do to get you in my arms, baby?
What do I gotta say to get to your heart
To make you understand how I need you next to me?
Gotta get you in my world
'Cause, baby, I can't sleep

So good, so powerful and so pretty! :wub: 

"Have You Ever" is such a great and powerful song from Brandy. Of the two Brandy songs, I am definitely rooting for this to rank higher and do better in these rankings, so fingers crossed it can do so!

RICHARD

Definitely a more memorable song than her other one here. It builds in a satisfying way and allows her to really show off the rasp in her voice. It’s a really nice listen overall.

COREY

It sounds pleasant and all, but too slow to really register with me.

9. BAILAMOS – ENRIQUE IGLESIAS

bf0eea1d7bb2299070f461be03682ded.800x800x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 2

STEVEN: 3

RICHARD: 5

NICO: 7

TOM: 7

ERIK: 8

DEREK: 10

COREY: 12

WALLACE: 13

AKSHAR: 14

CHRIS: 14

GIGI: 14

LILY: 15

QK: 19

ALEX

Such an aptly named song cause I just wanna get up and dance when I listen to it

STEVEN

This is one of my favorite Enrique Iglesias songs, maybe even my #1 favorite of his. I'm glad to see it included here and rank highly too.

RICHARD

This one is just so catchy and sung with so much charm, seduction, and power. It’s aged really well overall compared to a lot of the other songs here, too. Just a really solid song that I hope ends up at least in the top half.

COREY

I am satisfied with the pace of Bailamos, but it is not one of my top favorites.

WALLACE

mGyN9F.gif

I feel pretty sure that "Bailamos" was the song that introduced me to Enrique Iglesias. Enrique was apart of the big Latin music explosion that happened in 1999 and he was a big part of that. This still stands out as one of my favorite songs from Enrique, though I do prefer a few others from him. I do really like how Enrique sings this song. He sings the song with a lot of passion and excitement. He sounds cool and smooth on the verses of the song. Though I love how he builds up the song on the pre-chorus and then how it really blows up on the chorus where he sings:

Don't let the world dim my sight
Don't let a moment go by
Nothing can stop us tonight 

Bailamos, let the rhythm take you over
Bailamos
Te quiero amor mío, bailamos
Gonna live this night forever
Bailamos
Te quiero amor mío, te quiero

This song is sooo fun and I love the positive dancey energy and vibe this has! :bobo: I also love the second pre-chorus where Enrique sings:

I won't be leaving your side
We're gonna dance through the night
I'm gonna reach for the stars

I also love the bridge of the song (and the guitar solo after it) where Enrique sings:

tonight we dance
(Whoa, oh oh oh) like no tomorrow
(Whoa oh oh oh) if you will stay with me
Te quiero, mi amor

"Bailamos" is such a blast and party of a song! It's just one of those songs that makes you want to get up and dance and have a good ol time! :bobo: 

Edited by Steven_

- Not too surprised with "I Try" showing up and all of the lower/polarizing ranks for it as I was expecting that. lol I can relate to Erik on his comment.
- OMG Corey's comments on "What's My Age Again?" vs. "All the Small Things" made me LOL. :dead: Though I'm with Alex on preferring ATST.
- LMAOO Love Alex's comment on "My Own Worst Enemy." :dead: And I totally want to see him shouting the lyrics out in the bar. :giggle:
- Oooh dangg, I was not expecting 3 #20s for "From This Moment On." 😮 I def thought there would be at least one, maybe 2 or so. But kinda impressive it still made it to #13. But this was the first Shania song I was hoping to see here so I'm good with this showing up. Do agree with Steven's comments too. 

Of the Top 12, I got the following left: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14. (Ah so happy that all of my Top 10 made it to the Top 12. ❤️

Update from the 16-13 set. The first #1 out and just 4 #20s left:

#1s revealed (1): qk
#1s remaining (13): akshar, alex, chris, corey, derek, erik, gigi, lily, nico, richard, steven, tom, wallace

#20s revealed (11): erik, gigi, richard, steven, wallace, lily, akshar, corey, derek, nico
#20s remaining (4): alex, chris, qk, tom

- Awww sad to see "Angel of Mine" just miss the Top 10 but really happy and glad to see it making it to #12 at least and with a good set of rankings from people too. ❤️ AND WHAT'S ERIK'S PROBLEM with Monica's voice in the 90s? I really want to know. :dead:
- "I Want It That Way" actually did much better than I ever expected it to do so (I thought it would have shown up in the first or maybe second set), so yay for that coming in at #11. LOL I do agree with Steven's comment. lol Corey's comment.... but I think that kinda makes sense as this isn't a pure ballad nor an uptempo jam, so it falls right in between. :haha:
- Aww happy for "Have You Ever" making it to the Top 10 even though it made it over two songs I love even more sooo I'm feeling a certain kinda way about that, lmao. :dead: Agree with Richard's comment. And omg :dead: @ Erik's comment but love it. :haha: And not surprised with Corey's comment. :haha:
- Oooh lol I kinda forgot about "Bailamos" for a minute but nicee and great ranking for this. Another song that did much better than I was expecting it to do. Also shook at Alex being the highest ranker for this but I love being surprised! Really cool and fun song and I like all of the comments on it. 

Ahh I did take some hits this round but I do still really love this Top 8 as a whole. ❤️ 

Of the Top 8, I got the following left: 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 14. 

Not too much action going on - just one #1 and #20 were revealed.

#1s revealed (2): qk, erik
#1s remaining (12): akshar, alex, chris, corey, derek, gigi, lily, nico, richard, steven, tom, wallace

#20s revealed (11): erik, gigi, richard, steven, wallace, lily, akshar, corey, derek, nico, chris
#20s remaining (3): alex, qk, tom

8. ALL STAR – SMASH MOUTH

3fba3667e2ed99610560f3351be7d849.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

RICHARD: 4

STEVEN: 4

COREY: 5

NICO: 5

ALEX: 7

CHRIS: 7

ERIK: 7

QK: 7

WALLACE: 9

DEREK: 12

AKSHAR: 15

GIGI: 15

LILY: 16

TOM: 17

RICHARD

This song has really stood the test of time in a guilty pleasure sort of way. It’s definitely rooted in 1999, but culturally, it’s moved beyond that, too. The singing here obviously isn’t fantastic, but there’s something about Steve’s Average Joe sort of voice that makes the song more fun and hooky. And paired with the band in the background, the song comes together as a pretty iconic listen.

STEVEN

This song is a classic. It's fun and easy to sing along to, and it always makes for an enjoyable listen. This countdown would feel incomplete without "All Star," so I'm glad it was voted through.

COREY

Smash Mouth had a few good hits back in the day. I think this was their most iconic, if not the best.

ALEX

Shrek’s impact >>>>>>>

WALLACE

smash-mouth-all-star.gif

hahaha I do really love "All Star" by Smash Mouth and think this is such a fun, amusing and entertaining song. It's just one of those feel good songs that makes me smile and happy... and even sing along to it whenever I hear it. I enjoy how Steve Harwell sings this song (and so sad to hear of his passing last year. :broken: ). From the first verse, I do love the part that goes: 

She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

I love the pre-chorus as it brings the song up to another level and it's so fun where Steve sings:

Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb 

So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go (GO!)
You'll never shine if you don't glow

Then of course, the chorus is so fun, memorable and easy to sing along to. I really love that chorus that goes:

Hey, now, you're an all-star, get your game on, go play
Hey, now, you're a rock star, get the show on, get paid
And all that glitters is gold
Only shooting stars break the mold

From the second verse, I especially love the start and end of it where Steve sings:

It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now wait 'til you get older 

My world's on fire. How about yours?
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored

Then I also love the bridge or the last verse of the song (?). Not sure but it's really fun and I love how high the energy is at that part, which goes:

I said yep, what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change
Well, the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do, so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets?
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow

Not only is "All Star" is a really fun song, but it has a really fun and hilarious music video to match it. Such an entertaining video for an entertaining song.

7. BILLS, BILLS, BILLS – DESTINY'S CHILD

df008ad8ba6a3560c804df14d6a3af2b.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 1

DEREK: 2

LILY: 3

NICO: 3

ERIK: 5

STEVEN: 8

WALLACE: 8

COREY: 9

GIGI: 10

AKSHAR: 11

RICHARD: 13

CHRIS: 17

TOM: 19

QK: 20

WALLACE

destiny-child-destinys.gif

Ugh I didn't realize how ridiculously hard my Top 8 (or even Top 9/10?) were to rank. And i do not like having "Bills, Bills, Bills" at #8 as I want to rank it up so much higher, ugh. 😢 I was really hoping we could have had a Destiny’s Child song here in the final 20 for this 90s game before it end, so #bless Alex & Derek for advancing this song through. :wub: Of course, I love "Bills, Bills, Bills" and this is such a goood song from Destiny’s Child! :wub: First off, I LOVE the music production here. I don't know how to describe it but it has that fiery intense feel to it. And of course it goes without saying how much Beyoncé slays this song with all of the lead vocals. Baby Beyoncé here! ❤️ I love how she sings the entire opening verse. 

At first we started out real cool
Taking me places I ain't never been
But now, you're getting comfortable
Ain't doing those things you did no more
You're slowly making me pay for things
Your money should be handling 

And now you ask to use my car (car)
Drive it all day and don't fill up the tank
And you have the audacity
To even come and step to me
Ask to hold some money from me
Until you get your check next week

Kelly does her thing on the pre-chorus (and think Letoya and LaTavia have some parts there too). But it's all so good and I love the sass and attitude they bring there. 

You triflin', good-for-nothing type of brother
Silly me, why haven't I found another?
A baller, when times get hard
I need someone to help me out
Instead of a scrub like you, who don't know what a man's about

The chorus is sooo good and iconic! I absolutely LOVE it all so much. :wub: 

Can you pay my bills?
Can you pay my telephone bills?
Do you pay my automo' bills?
If you did then maybe we could chill
I don't think you do
So, you and me are through

From the second verse, I love all of that especially the parts where Beyoncé sings:

Haven't paid the first bill
But you're steady headin' to the mall
Goin' on shopping sprees
Perpetrating to your friends like you be ballin'
And then you use my cellphone (phone)
Callin' whoever that you think's at home
And then when the bill comes
All of a sudden you be acting dumb
Don't know where none of these calls come from
When your momma's number's here more than once

She really sets it all off there. :giggle: I love all of those vocal ad-libs that Beyoncé slays and kills on throughout the rest of the song too! "Bills, Bills, Bills" is just such a fantastic jam and up there as amongst one of my favorite songs from Destiny's Child! I have no idea where this will rank but I am certain and hopeful it will rank well here. 

COREY

You can feel the anger in the beats and singing. I love it.

RICHARD

Really solid R&B song with an infectious groove and strong vocals. It’s not the flashiest song ever, nor is it a huge vocal showcase. But it does what it sets out to do well.

6. BELIEVE – CHER

ff45a777aedda8ec386c5dcf0e41da23.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2

TOM: 3

AKSHAR: 4

LILY: 4

NICO: 4

CHRIS: 6

WALLACE: 6

DEREK: 7

COREY: 11

RICHARD: 11

QK: 15

ERIK: 17

STEVEN: 18

ALEX: 19

WALLACE

giphy.webp

"Believe" is such an iconic song from Cher! I can't say that I am the biggest Cher fan there is, but I've always loved "Believe" and consider it my favorite song of hers. But wow, it was amazing to see her have such a big comeback with this huge hit of a song, and deservingly so! :wub: It's also funny to me how she was like the innovator of autotune, much before T-Pain. I do love how fun, upbeat and dancey that "Believe" is. This song suits and fits Cher so well. I love how she sings the opening verse of the song:

No matter how hard I try
You keep pushing me aside
And I can't break through
There's no talking to you
It's so sad that you're leaving
It takes time to believe it
But after all is said and done
You're gonna be the lonely one, oh

But then the chorus is soo good, catchy and memorable too.  I love it all!

Do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough, no
Do you believe in life after love?
I can feel something inside me say
I really don't think you're strong enough, no

:bobo: I also really love how she sings the whole second verse too:

What am I supposed to do?
Sit around and wait for you?
Well, I can't do that
And there's no turning back
I need time to move on
I need a love to feel strong
'Cause I've had time to think it through
And maybe I'm too good for you, oh

The bridge is another fantastic part of the song and I love how Cher power through vocally at that part of the song! :wub:

Well, I know that I'll get through this
'Cause I know that I am strong
And I don't need you anymore
I don't need you anymore
Oh, I don't need you anymore
No, I don't need you anymore

"Believe" is such a good and fantastic song from Cher! It's another one of those fun songs that puts a smile on my face whenever I hear it. I can see "Believe" ranking well here though it's hard to tell where exactly it could place - but I feel it should at least make it to the Top 10.

COREY

Can anyone prove that it's actually Cher singing in this song? This would be a shoe in for my top 5 in any other year, but 1999 was such a good year, musically, that I managed to get eleven of my top favorites into the finals.  Sorry Cher.

RICHARD

This song I found out was pretty revolutionary in that it was the first big hit to really mess around with a large amount of autotune in the production. I do think it was pretty clearly a new thing here in that it’s a bit jarring in this song. But the anthemic chorus is great. Overall, this is a good song that I think could have been great without so much production behind it.

ERIK

The beat has always irritated me 😭

ALEX

Ugh, no

5. ...BABY ONE MORE TIME – BRITNEY SPEARS

260bc98fc4984e9f38c1e33f8c462922.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

DEREK: 1

GIGI: 1

WALLACE: 1

ERIK: 2

STEVEN: 2

AKSHAR: 5

LILY: 6

RICHARD: 6

NICO: 8

QK: 11

COREY: 13

CHRIS: 19

ALEX: 20

TOM: 20

WALLACE

britney-spears-hit-me-baby-one-more-time

I think it all goes without saying that we all know what an iconic and legendary song "…Baby One More Time" really is because it's certainly THAT. I remember seeing comments of this being one of, if not, THE best debut single from an artist ever. I don't like to make statements like that personally but this song does definitely holds up to that. This was such a big hit song and helped Britney Spears become the huge pop star she is! :wub: I know we all throw out the word iconic too much but this song, this music video truly lives up to the title. I am sad that she couldn't have more songs in here, as I personally would have loved seeing "(You Drive Me) Crazy" and "Sometimes" make it through. I'm sad those got left behind. :broken: But it was a MUST for "…Baby One More Time" to be here so I am glad it is in this Final 20!

Right from the start with the music production and those Oh, baby, baby ad-libs, you know this is a hit! :bobo: I love how Britney sings the opening verse of the song.

Oh, baby, baby
How was I supposed to know
That something wasn't right here?
Oh, baby, baby
I shouldn't have let you go
And now you're out of sight, yeah

Then the pre-chorus is soo good! And then that chorus? EVEN BETTER. Such a memorable and great chorus that's so easy and infectious to sing along to.

Show me how you want it to be
Tell me, baby
'Cause I need to know now, oh, because 

My loneliness
Is killing me and I
I must confess
I still believe, still believe
When I'm not with you I lose my mind
Give me a sign
Hit me, baby, one more time

I think I love the second verse even more than the first verse. I love it all where Britney sings:

Oh, baby, baby
The reason I breathe is you
Boy, you got me blinded
Oh, pretty baby
There's nothing that I wouldn't do
It's not the way I planned it

Then I love how the song slows down for a moment. Britney sounds so pretty on those parts, especially the "I shouldn't have let you go" line. ❤️ 

Oh, baby, baby
How was I supposed to know?
Oh, pretty baby
I shouldn't have let you go

Then I really love how the song picks back up on the latter half of the bridge. In fact, I think that's my favorite part of the song alongside the actual chorus, where Britney sings:

I must confess
That my loneliness
Is killing me now
Don't you know I still believe
That you will be here
And give me a sign?
Hit me, baby, one more time

:wub: 

I also really love how Britney re-sings that same bridge part of the song, but at the endof the song instead. She sings each line as it's own line to make it have more impact - if that's the way to describe it? :haha:

Besides, "...Baby One More Time" being an iconic song, it also has an iconic music video to match. I love the whole video and all of Britney's looks in it. All of the dancing and choreography. It really is THAT video! Now, I reallly hope and would love to see "...Baby One More Time" actually win it for the 1999 round. I don't want to get too confident about it - as I do think it stands a great chance of winning - but I don't want to get my hopes too high. Though if it doesn't win, I'd love for my #2 to take it as well. But yeah, I do think this song would be the perfect winner for 1999, so keeping my fingers crossed!

ERIK

One of the best pop songs of all time and the #1 best debut single of all time.

STEVEN

"...Baby One More Time" is one of my favorite Britney Spears songs. It's so catchy, and Britney delivers this flawlessly. The music video is iconic too. It was a great debut single for her, helping launch her superstar career.

RICHARD

Really well-written pop song that Britney delivers with a lot of attitude and grit. I can’t say I love her affected style of singing here, especially in the verses, but she really sells the song overall with some otherwise strong vocals paired with that super hooky melody.

COREY

When this song first came out, I knew it was a big deal. Not because it was that great, but because of how "iconic" Britney looked in the video. It's an okay song, but she went on to do better.

ALEX

I was really close to making this my individual cut. Great song, but lemme tank this and see if we can get a more interesting result or not

- So many #7s for "All Star." This is another song that did better than I expected but happy to see it get this far. It's so fun and classic. I do agree with those saying this is Smash Mouth's standout track.
- Great spot for "Bills, Bills, Bills" making it to 7th. Very pleased and happy with that. ❤️
- Rankings seem all over the place for "Believe" but it's did well enough to make it to 6th. Nice to see a Cher song make it this high. Ooh and I am a little surprised with Corey ranking this at #11, but I get it as 1999 was a great year in music and there's lots of great songs in here.
- Hmmmm okay, soo there goes the shocker of this rankdown. I thought "Baby One More Time" would have been a shoo in for the Top 4 and was really hoping it would be there. :( And well, I'm definitely glad Alex didn't cut it as his solo cut - I'd def take a #20 rank from him than a cut and see this miss out making the Top 20. At least lots of the comments recognizes what a great classic debut single and iconic song this is though. ❤️ 

Of the Top 4, I got the following left: 2, 5, 10, 14. 

All of the #20s are revealed and nearly half the #1s are revealed as well.

#1s revealed (6): qk, erik, alex, derek, gigi, wallace
#1s remaining (8): akshar, chris, corey, lily, nico, richard, steven, tom

#20s revealed (14): erik, gigi, richard, steven, wallace, lily, akshar, corey, derek, nico, chris, qk, alex, tom
#20s remaining (0): N/A

17 hours ago, Alex95 said:

Joke's on me because there's only one song I like left and I would've much rather seen Britney win over 75% of the possible options!

Ahh you should have just let Chris & Tom focus on the tanking there. 😭 Though I get you didn't know they would do that. :haha: 

9 hours ago, Qorey said:

#1, 4, 6 & 8.  Am I actually beating Wallace?

Yes you are. 😭 haha I was doing SO good with the Top 12. Then the last two sets changed that up a lot. :haha: Oh well, still a fan of all of the songs left. Just hope my #2 can pull it off.

53 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ahh you should have just let Chris & Tom focus on the tanking there. 😭 Though I get you didn't know they would do that. :haha: 

Yes you are. 😭 haha I was doing SO good with the Top 12. Then the last two sets changed that up a lot. :haha: Oh well, still a fan of all of the songs left. Just hope my #2 can pull it off.

I wasn't going to tank it then I remembered my friend Derek been tanking all my faves that could win during the last few rounds so I said why not do the same!

• Sad 1