Why Kaeyra Lost

CarmenSandiego

Thank heavens that I'm at the end of analyzing eight singers whose American Idol journey ended at the Top 20.  The last of these singers is Kaeyra.  I really thought that Kaeyra was going to make the Top 10 in public votes, but she didn't and after having to sing for her survival, she was gone.  But why did her Idol journey come to an unexpected and tragic end?  As always, the rules that Season 21 contestants should follow will explain what Kaeyra did right, what she did wrong and why Kaeyra lost.

Show Singing and Performing Talent

The first rule states that you need to show singing and performing talent.  Kaeyra definitely had singing and even performing talent and she showed it in Hawaii with a performance of "Don't Let Go (Love)" that was good enough to get her into the Top 20.  So how did she do with "Bruises"?  IDF loved it more than DLGL, including me as I gave her a 7.5 for her Hawaii performance and a 9 for "Bruises", praising her piano skills.  Crisis was a little more critical, partly because he didn’t like Lewis Capaldi, but did praise her arrangement of the song and called it solid.  And the Too Fab staff put her in 3rd overall, behind only Megan Danielle and Iam Tongi.

Unfortunately, she too failed to make the Top 10 but she still had a chance to save himself by getting one of the two judges' Wildcard picks.  So how did she do with "If I Were Your Woman"?  Excellent, according to IDF.  The lowest score anybody there gave her was a 7, by two people, neither of who was me.  I gave her an 8.5 and thought this should have gotten her into the Top 12.  Crisis thought that she was the best of the wildcard hopefuls, and the TooFab staff put her in second, behind only Nutsa.  All in all, Kaeyra definitely succeeded with this rule, but it wasn't enough.

Song Choice Is Key

I don't think that Kaeyra had any real problems with this song other than maybe doing an En Vogue song in Hawaii.  However, it didn't affect her chances of moving on and her other song choices were solid, so I'll move on.

Be Consistently Outstanding or Better Yet, Consistently Improve Every Week

Kaeyra was consistently very good and at times even great, but she didn't consistently improve enough.  Thus she stumbled on this rule a little.

Have the Confidence to Believe That You Belong

Kaeyra definitely had the confidence needed.  Taking on a Gladys Knight song definitely requires confidence.  Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to save her.

Know Who You Are As an Artist

I fear that this is the first rule that Kaeyra really failed at.  She had a rock edge and could have packaged herself as a rock artist but she chose to do a lot of songs in a lot of different styles -- rock, pop, soul.  There's a fine line between being stuck in one lane doing only one genre and being too versatile and Kaeyra might have gone too far in being versatile.  We Ani is also very versatile, but she's been sticking more to songs which at least are somewhat in the pop genre (like "Edge of Midnight" which is pop/rock).  Kaeyra was more versatile, but it came at the expense of a strong artistic identity, so she definitely fouled up here.

Remember, You Are a Package

This was another rule Kaeyra failed in.  She was the daughter of a Polish immigrant and could have used it to create an interesting package.  Unfortunately, she didn't do it as well as say, Nutsa who is a Georgian competing in an American show, did in packaging herself as an entertainer who could also do slow songs.  She was kind of in the background amongst all the other female singers.  Thus Kaeyra struck out on this rule as well.

Take Any Advice Offered to You and Follow It

At least Kaeyra didn't have any problems with this rule.  Unfortunately, it wasn't nearly enough to save her, so I'll just move on.

Gather a Fan Base -- and Sustain It

This was the final rule that Kaeyra failed at.  She was versatile at the expense of a strong artistic identity, and she often dressed up to the extent that middle-aged American housewives just couldn't relate to her, even with her backstory of being the daughter of a Polish immigrant.  So Kaeyra screwed up this rule as well.

Kaeyra could have and should have made the Top 12, due to outstanding vocal and fine performing skills.  But she didn't have a strong artistic identity, choosing to sing songs in too many different genres.  Worse, middle-aged American housewives couldn't relate to a girl that was too attractive.  And finally, her package was plain when compared to Lucy and Nutsa, both of whom were chosen as the Wildcards.  When you add that all up, that is why Kaeyra sadly lost.

Edited by CarmenSandiego

I could be wrong but I have a feeling she was in the 11-13 range in terms of voting placement. She also probably would've gotten wildcarded if she performed after Lucy/Nutsa or one of them ended up flopping. So in my mind, she just missed out on Top 12 in both the voting and the judges save. Oh well! :( 

• Sad 4

The real robbery is that Kaeyra should have never been in that position to even need saving by the judges. She should have made the Top 10. Periodt. 

She was the only one I felt was robbed. However, I do not think Nutsa or Lucy TOOK a spot from her. She should have made the Top 10. 

Edited by BlkCountryFan

11 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Thank heavens that I'm at the end of analyzing eight singers whose American Idol journey ended at the Top 20.  The last of these singers is Kaeyra.  

Be Consistently Outstanding or Better Yet, Consistently Improve Every Week

Kaeyra was consistently very good and at times even great, but she didn't consistently improve enough.  Thus she stumbled on this rule a little.

I think she was consistently outstanding each time. I don't think she stumbled at all here. 

Know Who You Are As an Artist

I fear that this is the first rule that Kaeyra really failed at.  She had a rock edge and could have packaged herself as a rock artist but she chose to do a lot of songs in a lot of different styles -- rock, pop, soul.  There's a fine line between being stuck in one lane doing only one genre and being too versatile and Kaeyra might have gone too far in being versatile.  We Ani is also very versatile, but she's been sticking more to songs which at least are somewhat in the pop genre (like "Edge of Midnight" which is pop/rock).  Kaeyra was more versatile, but it came at the expense of a strong artistic identity, so she definitely fouled up here.

This was the MAIN issue Kaeyra had in my opinion. 

Gather a Fan Base -- and Sustain It

This was the final rule that Kaeyra failed at.  She was versatile at the expense of a strong artistic identity, and she often dressed up to the extent that middle-aged American housewives just couldn't relate to her, even with her backstory of being the daughter of a Polish immigrant.  So Kaeyra screwed up this rule as well.

I think she gathered a fanbase and I will be interested to see what she does going forward. She really is the total package. I do agree that she has that Megan Fox appeal which doesn't appeal to many women and that may have caused her to appear unrelatable. 

Kaeyra could have and should have made the Top 12, due to outstanding vocal and fine performing skills.  But she didn't have a strong artistic identity, choosing to sing songs in too many different genres.  Worse, middle-aged American housewives couldn't relate to a girl that was too attractive.  And finally, her package was plain when compared to Lucy and Nutsa, both of whom were chosen as the Wildcards.  When you add that all up, that is why Kaeyra sadly lost.

Agree wholeheartedly. 

Her edit and her looks were the two biggest reasons. She was shown on the very last audition episode, when people have kinda already picked out their favorites to follow in Hollywood Week. Most of the winners from Idol and The Voice come from the first two audition episodes. If TPTB really like someone, they’re going to be shown on Episode 1 or 2 (Colin, Iam, Haven, Lucy, Zachariah, Megan, Tyson, Nutsa.) That’s 8 out of the Top 12 from the first two episodes. It’s a huge advantage to be shown early. Kaeyra also didn’t have much of a storyline other than she worked at a restaurant and her mom is Polish. 

As far as her image, she was very well put-together. Like an Instagram model. Makeup, sexy clothing, luxurious black hair. She definitely looks like a star but that doesn’t exactly get you votes on American Idol. Kelly came in wearing a shirt made out of blue jeans and Carrie wore modest blouses all throughout the early rounds. Their image transformed as the show went on and it gave them that “metamorphosis” thing viewers love. Kaeyra came in looking perfect and there was nowhere to go with her. The girls who come in looking like pop stars already have never went far on the show, going all the way back to Ryan Starr in S1. 

TL;DR: Kaeyra might still be around if she’d been shown in the premiere and wasn’t so glammed up. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

The girls who come in looking like pop stars already have never went far on the show, going all the way back to Ryan Starr in S1. 

Unfortunate, but true 😭

I'd argue that Grace Kinstler is an exception, but the rest of the females who made Finals in Fox/ABC era were either unconventially attractive, had a "makeover" edit, or were minors.

Edited by m1key

6 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

Her edit and her looks were the two biggest reasons. 

As far as her image, she was very well put-together. Like an Instagram model. Makeup, sexy clothing, luxurious black hair. She definitely looks like a star but that doesn’t exactly get you votes on American Idol. Kelly came in wearing a shirt made out of blue jeans and Carrie wore modest blouses all throughout the early rounds. Their image transformed as the show went on and it gave them that “metamorphosis” thing viewers love. Kaeyra came in looking perfect and there was nowhere to go with her. The girls who come in looking like pop stars already have never went far on the show, going all the way back to Ryan Starr in S1. 

TL;DR: Kaeyra might still be around if she’d been shown in the premiere and wasn’t so glammed up. 

I agree. I think voters for American Idol like the girl-next-door look better. All the girls left have that kind of appeal. Megan, Mary Beth, We Ani. Haven. 

6 hours ago, Carrie_On said:

Her edit and her looks were the two biggest reasons. She was shown on the very last audition episode, when people have kinda already picked out their favorites to follow in Hollywood Week. Most of the winners from Idol and The Voice come from the first two audition episodes. If TPTB really like someone, they’re going to be shown on Episode 1 or 2 (Colin, Iam, Haven, Lucy, Zachariah, Megan, Tyson, Nutsa.) That’s 8 out of the Top 12 from the first two episodes. It’s a huge advantage to be shown early. Kaeyra also didn’t have much of a storyline other than she worked at a restaurant and her mom is Polish. 

Agree with all of this. The only one I can think of that came in looking like a Star and still made it super far is Jax... but she got a much better edit and the show really pushed for her to make it far that year.

• Like 1