What is your opinion on these vocalists?

Hamza Tufail

Choose the most appropriate option  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Is "Somebody To Love - Jordan Smith" the best performance (by a male contestant) in the history of this show

• Yes
    • Tied with...
    • No
  2. 2. Is Kyla Jade the best Female Vocalist this show has ever had?

• Yes
    • Tied with...
    • No
  3. 3. Is Jordan Smith the best male vocalist this show has ever seen?

• Yes
    • Tied with...
    • No

I checked the thread The Best Vocalists This Show Has Seen and looked for the contestants who got the most mentions. Top 2 were Kyla and Jordan (Both were tied). Wendy had a lot of mentions, but those were "one of the best" or "best vocalist this season."

Don't freak out if your fav isn't in this poll, just mention their name below if your answer is "No" or even "Tied with..."

Discuss.

Edited by Hamza Tufail

• Hamza Tufail changed the title to What is your opinion on these vocalists?
4 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

I picked "yes" for all of these questions. But idk, i feel like Wendy is at least tied with Kyla, but i know nothing about vocals, so idk

I almost agree with you.

When I talk about vocals, I also take into account one's versatility and the ability to sing live consistently. I don't think Wendy can reach Kyla's highs, but Wendy was more versatile and consistent than her.

Edited by Hamza Tufail

I do think Jordan is the best male vocalist. He's not even the rangiest or most versatile. But his pitch might be the most flawless of any male contestant which is especially impressive given he's still top tier when it comes to range and the amount of things he can do with his voice.

HM mentioned to Davon (I'm well aware of his pitch issues live but his raw talent cant be denied), Chris Blue, Patrique Fortson as well.

Females is harder. Wendy, Kyla and Sissuandra are all contenders. I think Kyla has the most varied sound as well as the largest range of the 3. Her vocal consistency is not up to par with Wendy, and I think both Sissuandra and Wendy are better belters.

I think Maelyn deserves a mention as well. Her pitch might be the best out of any female contestant and, she's not as powerful as the other 3 but I think her head voice is better.

Also, are we strictly considering their work on the show? If not, then John Holiday has to be up there. You don't become a respected opera singer performing all over the country without great technique. His versatility is his knock on him but he does soul, Jazz and Opera masterfully

5 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

HM mentioned to Davon (I'm well aware of his pitch issues live but his raw talent cant be denied), Chris Blue, Patrique Fortson as well.

ooh yes, i didn’t think of Davon, he’s insane too. Chris was the first competitor to come to mind but i still went with Jordan.

22 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I do think Jordan is the best male vocalist. He's not even the rangiest or most versatile. But his pitch might be the most flawless of any male contestant which is especially impressive given he's still top tier when it comes to range and the amount of things he can do with his voice.

Yeah, Davon might have the biggest range, but the fact that Jordan was able to maintain his pitch even when he sang above E5/F5 was just insane. His runs, his breath control, vocal control, dynamics, literally everything was almost perfect.

Btw, If we strictly talk about Range then Chris Blue showed more range than Wendy (At least from what I've seen On-Show), but I don't think anyone here including you thinks that Chris is better than Wendy. Davon's range was massive, but Jordan is better in almost all other categories.

25 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

I think Maelyn deserves a mention as well. Her pitch might be the best out of any female contestant and, she's not as powerful as the other 3 but I think her head voice is better.

Her pitch was insane, but it's relatively easy to stay on pitch when you're not belting or doing runs. The Divas you listed above all were given songs by tptb that required low notes/high notes/runs/chest voice belting/mix belting, etc...P.S. It's not like they were off-pitch like Jershika, they were also on Pitch most of the times (Wendy in Particular).

Also, I wanna say Pitch isn't the only thing that counts. If someone's on Pitch 99% of the time, while other is on pitch 95% of the time, but if the latter has more versatility, has better/more dynamics, runs, agility, etc... then of course I'll pick the latter.

Still, I think Maelyn is a great vocalist, and she has an angelic voice. I love her head voice, it sounds so heavenly. It's just I don't think vocally she's at the same level as others (that you mentioned).

31 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Also, are we strictly considering their work on the show? If not, then John Holiday has to be up there. You don't become a respected opera singer performing all over the country without great technique. His versatility is his knock on him but he does soul, Jazz and Opera masterfully

He's really good off-show.

I remember there was a time when I was hyping him a lot, and even tho I didn't want to say it, I still did that he's the best male vocalist of all time (Yes I went there, maybe cuz I thought he wasn't getting the appreciation he deserved. I don't know what the hell was I thinking lol. I'm so embarrassed by that post. I'm always afraid that whenever I'll talk about vocals someone might say: "Aren't you the one who called John h the best vocalist ever?":haha:

But I'd say there is one thing he lacks, and that is belting register. He doesn't have much power in chest voice, but yeah, his head voice and falsettos are killer. I've seen lots of videos of him performing opera.

Anyways,

1. Yes, by far.

2. No. I think Tessanne Chin is the best female vocalist ever. She remained consistent throughout her entire run which consisted of 20+ performances. :dead:

Pitch ✓

Consistency ✓

Range ✓

Agility ✓

Belting ✓

Dynamics ✓

Breath Control ✓

Supported Notes ✓

Vocal Control ✓

3. Yes. Jordan is imo the best male vocalist. Some people don't even realize how hard it is to sing Chandelier the way he did. Some call it one of his weaker performances, but seeing other people struggle while covering this song has just boosted my confidence in Jordan. He literally sounded Perfect. 

Also, I wanna say, he could've belted everything in his range, but he played it smart, and only went bonkers on STL. He has many covers of Halo off-show which have lots of runs and high notes, but I'm glad he didn't show off them on show because it might've not been well received by minivan lol.

Edited by Hamza Tufail

1 hour ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Yeah, Davon might have the biggest range, but the fact that Jordan was able to maintain his pitch even when he sang above E5/F5 was just insane. His runs, his breath control, vocal control, dynamics, literally everything was almost perfect.

True.

But It's not like Davon couldn't maintain his pitch doing all of that and in that range. He just didn't always do it throughout an entire performance.

Tbh I don't think it's pure vocal ability that makes Jordan stand out among the best on the show (even if hes still at the top). It's the consistency.

Btw, If we strictly talk about Range then Chris Blue showed more range than Wendy (At least from what I've seen On-Show), but I don't think anyone here including you thinks that Chris is better than Wendy. Davon's range was massive, but Jordan is better in almost all other categories.

Well.. I think Chris can contend with Wendy on his best day tbh. He doesn't have the belting power or sustainability. But I'd argue his voice is more flexible, he employs harsh vocals well, and I think he has the edge with falsetto.

I personally prefer Davon's sound, and I do think its more varied. Jordan, like Wendy, sounds the same throughout his range. I mean, even his growls sound clean lmao.

Of course, I'm not saying sounding the same throughout your range is bad, especially if you have a unique or strong tone. But I think there's something to be said about having varied textures to your voice (on a technical level too) and it's part of why I like Davon a lot, Kim Cruse is another example to a lesser extent.

For a very extreme example, look at Dimash. Even excluding all the different classical sounds he tackles, there's a lot of little things he does with his voice that make his vocal pallette so varied, and once  every few performances there will be something you haven't heard from him before.

Her pitch was insane, but it's relatively easy to stay on pitch when you're not belting or doing runs. The Divas you listed above all were given songs by tptb that required low notes/high notes/runs/chest voice belting/mix belting, etc...P.S. It's not like they were off-pitch like Jershika, they were also on Pitch most of the times (Wendy in Particular).

Also, I wanna say Pitch isn't the only thing that counts. If someone's on Pitch 99% of the time, while other is on pitch 95% of the time, but if the latter has more versatility, has better/more dynamics, runs, agility, etc... then of course I'll pick the latter.

Still, I think Maelyn is a great vocalist, and she has an angelic voice. I love her head voice, it sounds so heavenly. It's just I don't think vocally she's at the same level as others (that you mentioned).

Good point.

actually, that's part of why I didn't mention Tessanee. Yeah, she's powerful, but I'm not sure her vocals are as intricate as someone like Kyla and her range seems to be pretty standard for powerhouse vocals on the show..

For example, I don't recall tessanee doing much in terms of vocal agility or harsh vocals. 

Of course, she's definitely the most consistent female vocalist on the show, and as you said, on a season where there were more performances than almost any other season. 

He's really good off-show.

I remember there was a time when I was hyping him a lot, and even tho I didn't want to say it, I still did that he's the best male vocalist of all time (Yes I went there, maybe cuz I thought he wasn't getting the appreciation he deserved. I don't know what the hell was I thinking lol. I'm so embarrassed by that post. I'm always afraid that whenever I'll talk about vocals someone might say: "Aren't you the one who called John h the best vocalist ever?":haha:

But I'd say there is one thing he lacks, and that is belting register. He doesn't have much power in chest voice, but yeah, his head voice and falsettos are killer. I've seen lots of videos of him performing opera.

Wow, you, embarrassed by a post? With all your unpopular opinions I thought you were immune. 

Its true though. His belting does lack power and that might be why "all by myself" was a bit underwhelming even if he was technically sound.

Edited by Hsamid

29 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

Wow, you, embarrassed by a post? With all your unpopular opinions I thought you were immune. 

I'm Def immune to anything here, and I stand by all of my opinions except for that one lol. It just wasn't my true opinion.

Its true though. His belting does lack power and that might be why "all by myself" was a bit underwhelming even if he was technically sound.

Exactly!

Well.. I think Chris can contend with Wendy on his best day tbh. He doesn't have the belting power or sustainability. But I'd argue his voice is more flexible, varied, and I think he has the edge with falsetto.

Of course he can hold his own, and he's not miles behind, was just saying overall no one thinks he's better than Wendy.

True.

But It's not like Davon couldn't maintain his pitch doing all of that and in that range. He just didn't always do it throughout an entire performance.

Tbh I don't think it's pure vocal ability that makes Jordan stand out among the best on the show (even if hes still at the top). It's the consistency

Yeah, his consistency was one of the main reasons I have him so high in the list of best vocalists (Probably #1)

I personally prefer Davon's sound, and I do think its more varied. Jordan, like Wendy, sounds the same throughout his range.

Of course, I'm not saying sounding the same throughout your range is bad, especially if you have a unique or strong tone. But I think there's something to be said about having varied textures to your voice (on a technical level too) and it's part of why I like Davon a lot, Kim Cruse is another example to a lesser extent.

That's subjective. I also think Davon has a lot of textures to his voice, but that Def doesn't make someone a better vocalist than other. The most you can say is that you like that particular thing about a vocalist. 

For a very extreme example, look at Dimash. Even excluding all the different classical sounds he tackles, there's a lot of little things he does with his voice that make his vocal pallette so varied, and once  every few performances there will be something you haven't heard from him before.

That's very very  extreme example lol. :dead: 

He shocks me every single time I hear him. The King!

Btw, Those different textures just make him standout more or you could say they make him more unique. But that's not the reason I have him higher than evey single other singer on this planet.

Good point.

actually, that's part of why I didn't mention Tessanee. Yeah, she's powerful, but I'm not sure her vocals are as intricate as someone like Kyla and her range seems to be pretty standard for powerhouse vocals on the show..

For example, I don't recall tessanee doing much in terms of vocal agility or harsh vocals. 

Of course, she's definitely the most consistent female vocalist on the show, and as you said, on a season where there were more performances than almost any other season. 

Yes, she didn't show as much vocal switches as Kyla, but that's just one of many dynamics. There are other things in which she has Kyla beat.

She also had better  breath support than Kyla. She could hold high notes much longer than her. And yes she was more consistent. I just can't rank Kyla higher than Tess because she (Tess) never had an off-week. OTOH, Kyla had which goes to show Tess' ability to sing live was just insane.

You have a lot of knowledge about technical stuff. Is it Dimash's influence or you're always like that? I can speak for myself, I knew nothing before him. 

Edited by Hamza Tufail

3 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I'm Def immune to anything here, and I stand by all of my opinions except for that one lol. It just wasn't my true opinion.

Lol fair enough. Funnily enough, it's far from the most outrageous thing you have said ;)

Exactly!

Of course he can hold his own, and he's not miles behind, was just saying overall no one thinks he's better than Wendy.

IDF is pro waffle though. Not saying I agree, but I've seen quite a few people on YouTube calling him the best singer on the show. 

Yeah, his consistency was one of the main reasons I have him so high in the list of best vocalists (Probably #1)

Same

That's subjective. I also think Davon has a lot of textures to his voice, but that Def doesn't make someone a better vocalist than other. The most you can say is that you like that particular thing about a vocalist. 

That's very very  extreme example lol. :dead: 

He shocks me every single time I hear him. The King!

Btw, Those different textures just make him standout more or you could say they make him more unique. But that's not the reason I have him higher than evey single other singer on this planet.

Hm, im not sure I agree here. I do think there's a technical aspect to changing the texture of your singing. I mean, you sort of do that when you change from growls, falsetto and chest voice. It's the same with tones I would think. Not everyone can create certain sounds, and/or make it sound good.

Of course, it's far from the most important thing to consider when talking about best vocalist, but nonetheless I think it's worth mentioning.

Yes, she didn't show as much vocal switches as Kyla, but that's just one of many dynamics. There are other things in which she has Kyla beat.

She also had better  breath support than Kyla. She could hold high notes much longer than her. And yes she was more consistent. I just can't rank Kyla higher than Tess because she (Tess) never had an off-week. OTOH, Kyla had which goes to show Tess' ability to sing live was just insane.

Can't disagree there.

You have a lot of knowledge about technical stuff. Is it Dimash's influence or you're always like that? I can speak for myself, I knew nothing before him. 

Ive always had a bit of an interest in what singers do technically. But I think Dimash greatly enhanced my interest about it.

It might be from watching multiple vocal analysis of singers that I like to point out certain things even if i dont have the proper terms in my vocabulary to describe it.

But I wouldn't consider myself that knowledgeable at all, im not familiar at all with singing vocabulary, especially regarding the classically trained stuff like identifying someones vocal type being soprano or whatever. Im just a bit more interested in the technical side of things.

Edited by Hsamid

1) Yes. I think the only other male performances I'd have in my top 10 are Josh's Stay with Me and Chris' WIWYM. But you can't really argue that those were as good as Jordan's.

2) ... I'll go with the "tie" option. Kyla may have shown us more vocally, but I don't think her best performances You Don't Own Me and Let It Be hit quite the same way as Kimberly's HOTR and What's Up, for example. Plus I'm forever partial to Alisan lol.

3) Yeah, although like many others here I'm not sure I'm actually qualified to say lol. But as a vocalist, I think so.

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

IDF is pro waffle though. Not saying I agree, but I've seen quite a few people on YouTube calling him the best singer on the show. 

That's true. Whenever Voice YouTube channel used to put videos that featured past contestants (Like Toyota commercial, or behind the scenes when Jordan/Chloe/Cass/Chris were invited to be advisors for the Knockouts in s14) Chris would always get the 2nd most mentions behind Jordan, and lots of "Best vocalist ever" comments.

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Ive always had a bit of an interest in what singers do technically. But I think Dimash greatly enhanced my interest about it.

Yeah, I was just talking about interest. My interest was also developed after seeing him do things I had never heard of in my life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

You can also mention the performance. Like if not Jordan's STL then which one do you think of as the best?

Tbh I don't know lol, but I was never really that big on "Somebody To Love". "Hallelujah" was my favorite performance of his.

11 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

(i don't actually really remember his performance of hallelujah 😭)

me neither until i randomly decided to watch it last week😭😭 he ate though 

Edited by erik g
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, erik g said:

me neither until i randomly decided to watch it last week😭😭 he ate though 

ok you know what yeah it was quite good. i take back my sarcastic comment in an effort to restore our idf friendship (wow look at me being wholesome)

in order to restore balance to the universe i will now be un-wholesome and share this video solely bc i find the title funny

title in case u can't see: 

Jordan Smith Sings Hallelujah Song That Will Make You CRY

• Haha 1