AI20 Winner Predictions

Idol Maniac

I don’t think we’ll get another WGWG winner this season but it’s certainly possible. Noah or Daniel could win it all but I’m not convinced yet. 

Kenedi has a good chance IMO. Pretty girl with a huge voice who will appeal to casual viewers. 

Edited by Carrie_On

On 2/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, Carrie_On said:

I don’t think we’ll get another WGWG winner this season but it’s certainly possible. Noah or Daniel could win it all but I’m not convinced yet. 

Kenedi has a good chance IMO. Pretty girl with a huge voice who will appeal to casual viewers. 

But when was the last time a "pretty girl with a huge voice" won Idol?  I don't think casual viewers have much influence - otherwise we would have a lot more diverse winners.

It's often the female contestants that end up as shock boots.

Edited by mytake1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Everyone always gets excited for the girls I get it I am the same way but some people just aren't realistic. The odds of a white guy winning are probably like 90% so guessing anything other than that is like wishful thinking. :giggle:

I’m going to call it manifestation 😉 Kenedi for the win! :clap:

Edited by Bk1234

Everybody always says a WGWG is going to win every year, though. 🙄 People thought Cade or Caleb were going to win S16, but Maddie did. People said Dillon or Jonny would win S18, but neither made the final two. It was between two POC. I don’t want to hear any crap about “Oh, Idol had a new audience for S16 so that’s why a girl won.” No, you have no evidence of that lol. Or, “Just Sam only won because it was the virtual season, she got pity votes, the west coast got screwed over, etc.” You have no way of saying that for sure, either. We could very well get a white guy winner this season but it’s ultimately going to come down to how America responds to this year’s contestants. The WGWG concerns were understandable back in 2012 when we had five white male winners in a row, but that’s been ten years ago. Since ABC took over the show, we’ve had a Girl-Guy winner pattern. We’ve also had a POC in every finale except S16. We can’t just say that since Chayce won last season, he’s now started a chain reaction of all WGWG winners. 

• Like 1

The problem is with the voting demographic, which leans heavily towards older, white women.

Winning Idol these days is like a curse.  Idol hasn't had a successful winner in 10 years.  Just Sam said she almost went broke with the Idol label.

Then you look at how well Benson Boone from last season is now doing.  Same with Lauren Spencer Smith from the season before.  Both of whom left the show early.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

The problem is with the voting demographic, which leans heavily towards older, white women.

Winning Idol these days is like a curse.  Idol hasn't had a successful winner in 10 years.  Just Sam said she almost went broke with the Idol label.

Then you look at how well Benson Boone from last season is now doing.  Same with Lauren Spencer Smith from the season before.  Both of whom left the show early.

I do agree. The show does a horrible job at promoting their winners nowadays, same with The Voice. 

Benson and Lauren both have done very well on Tik Tok. I think Gabby’s career took off because of it as well? I don’t blame Benson for dropping out last season when he had something solid lined up already. And Lauren never stood a chance because the show doesn’t allow Canadians to vote, which should change if they’re going to allow people from Canada to audition. 

47 minutes ago, Carrie_On said:

I do agree. The show does a horrible job at promoting their winners nowadays, same with The Voice. 

Benson and Lauren both have done very well on Tik Tok. I think Gabby’s career took off because of it as well? I don’t blame Benson for dropping out last season when he had something solid lined up already. And Lauren never stood a chance because the show doesn’t allow Canadians to vote, which should change if they’re going to allow people from Canada to audition. 

That's the problem with singing competitions -  Labels HAVE to sign the winner and vice versa.

LSS actually benefited in the long run.  She didn't get stuck with the Idol contract.  She self-released her song.  The song gained momentum on it's own.  And she said she had multiple offers from labels.

Gabby said that after Idol, she expected a lot of offers, but that wasn't the case.  She was forced to self-release her song and spent a year shopping it to radio and labels.

And Benson Boone definitely made the right decision to quit Idol when he knew he had something better.

Edited by mytake1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, QueenKalie said:

Everyone always gets excited for the girls I get it I am the same way but some people just aren't realistic. The odds of a white guy winning are probably like 90% so guessing anything other than that is like wishful thinking. :giggle:

It’s been 50-50 with the reboot so far. Two guys (Laine and Chayce) and two girls (Maddie and Just Sam). This isn’t the old idol anymore.

On 2/23/2022 at 7:44 AM, mytake1 said:

But when was the last time a "pretty girl with a huge voice" won Idol?  I don't think casual viewers have much influence - otherwise we would have a lot more diverse winners.

It's often the female contestants that end up as shock boots.

You don’t think Just Sam was pretty?