Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

More #1s got revealed. Now half of the #1s are revealed and half are left. Still one more #20 remaining.

#1s revealed (8): Gigi, Lily, Corey, Nico, Richard, QK, Priscilla, Derek
#1s remaining (8): Akshar, Alex, Chris, Erik, Steven, Tom, Victoria, Wallace

#20s revealed (15): Derek, Steven, Wallace, Alex, Priscilla, Victoria, Lily, Akshar, Chris, Erik, Gigi, Richard, Nico, Corey, Tom
#20s remaining (1): QK

4. SWEET BUT PSYCHO – AVA MAX

e669123b54fa45a9ca2c2db13b57f995.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 2

GIGI: 2

TOM: 2

WALLACE: 2

COREY: 4

NICO: 5

QK: 5

LILY: 7

ALEX: 9

CHRIS: 9

STEVEN: 10

PRISCILLA: 11

VICTORIA: 11

ERIK: 17

RICHARD: 17

DEREK: 18

TOM

Ava is a queen and this is infectious and catchy. Masterpiece with strong Gaga vibes.

WALLACE

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116e16d432f9c5dea576b315f0bc595ac20e668942&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Baby Gaga! :wub: I really love "Sweet but Psycho" and think this is a great and fun pop song. I was really hoping to see this song make it through to the finals and I'm glad it did! :wub: This was always a standout song of 2019 for me. "Sweet but Psycho" was the song that introduced me to Ava Max and to this day, it still stands as my favorite song of hers. And also Ava Max, particularly with this song does remind me a lot like the earlier music of Lady Gaga. I love this fun, dark, edgy and haunting sound that this song has. Ava has a really strong voice and sounds great throughout the song. I love the chorus and how the song starts off with the chorus, which is really fun and super catchy!

Oh, she's sweet but a psycho
A little bit psycho
At night she's screamin', "I'm-ma-ma-ma out my mind."
Oh, she's hot but a psycho
So left but she's right though

:bobo:

Ava sounds great on the verses and I love how she sings those parts of the song. But I love the pre-chorus even more with how she builds up the song where she sings:

No, no
You'll play along
Let her lead you on
You'll be sayin', "No, no."
Then saying, "Yes, yes, yes,"
'Cause she messin' with your head

She does provide some really pretty vocals on those "no, noooooo" parts too. The second time around when the chorus comes on, I love that there was more added to the chorus where she sings:

Grab a cop gun. Kinda crazy
She's poison but tasty
Yeah, people say, "Run, don't walk away."
'Cause she's sweet but a psycho
A little bit psycho

I love how she sings the second verse of the song though I don't really have a standout favorite part there but it's all good. But oooo, I love how the music intensifies on the breakdown section of the song that gets into the bridge. That music is so fun and funky! :bobo: But then I love how she sings the bridge of the song, with so much attitude!

You're just like me, you're out your mind
I know it's strange. We're both the crazy kind
You're tellin' me that I'm insane
Boy, don't pretend that you don't love the pain

"Sweet but Psycho" is such a fun song and I'm glad to see this song here in the finals. The music video is also reallly fun in a weird, creepy and scary way. Ava Max plays the "Sweet but Psycho" character really well here. I do have a good feeling this song will rank really well, as it had lots of support in the voting round and I really hope it does. I really hope this can make the Top 4! I'm not sure if this song has enough power to pull off the win but I would be rooting for it to win if it can.

COREY

A danceable song. It's awesome, but there is something a little bit off putting about Ava Max's voice.

STEVEN

I guess I like this song, but it's not one I ever sought out to listen to. I enjoy it whenever it comes on the radio, and it did come on the radio a lot. It was a big breakthrough hit, but it's one of those overplayed songs that never annoyed me. It's undeniably catchy.

RICHARD

Good production here, but otherwise, this song doesn’t do much for me. It kind of just stays in one place the whole time and repeats itself for 3.5 minutes, which doesn’t make for the most engaging listen in my book.

3. SOMEONE YOU LOVED – LEWIS CAPALDI

07cbb681be6bca33a4c8a076ae3587b8.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

CHRIS: 1

STEVEN: 1

TOM: 1

ERIK: 2

ALEX: 5

PRISCILLA: 6

COREY: 8

GIGI: 8

VICTORIA: 8

QK: 9

LILY: 12

RICHARD: 12

WALLACE: 12

AKSHAR: 13

DEREK: 14

NICO: 17

STEVEN

This is easily my favorite song in this Top 20. I like the piano melody, the lyrics, and Lewis Capaldi's voice. He has a very impressive voice, and he effectively conveys the heartbreaking lyrics with his emotional delivery. It was cool to see a song like this become such a big breakthrough hit. I was hoping this song would've won for this year, but at least it managed to rank this high.

TOM

Flawless and powerful.

COREY

A slow song that even I like. It is emotionally effective and powerful. I predict a possible #1 here.

RICHARD

I was tempted to just write “whiny drivel” as my writeup for this song, but after relistening, it wasn’t as bad as I remembered. He definitely has a solid voice. I do feel like the song lays things on a little too thick, and I would’ve appreciated more subtlety in both the lyrical content and his delivery.

WALLACE

CluelessMixedDiplodocus-max-1mb.gif

I love "Someone You Loved" and think this is a really beautiful song. "Someone You Loved" was also the song that introduced me to Lewis Capaldi, so I would say this was a great song to be introduced to him! :yes: I do love the soft, tender and emotional feel of the song and Lewis sings it convincingly well. I also love the beautiful piano playing and how well it goes with Lewis' voice. I really enjoy the opening verse, but I really love how Lewis builds up the song on the pre-chorus and chorus sections of the song, which is my favorite part of the song.

I need somebody to heal
Somebody to know
Somebody to have
Somebody to hold
It's easy to say
But it's never the same
I guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain 

Now the day bleeds
Into nightfall
And you're not here
To get me through it all
I let my guard down
And then you pulled the rug
I was getting kinda used to being someone you loved

He sings that part with so much power and passion there! :omg:

Ooh and something else I noticed are how short the verses are, which seems like barely anything. Oh well, it doesn't take away from the beauty of this song. But the bridge is another powerful part of the song and another one of my main favorite parts.

And I tend to close my eyes when it hurts sometimes
I fall into your arms
I'll be safe in your sound til I come back around

I love the rawness in Lewis' voice and how he belts that part out, as well as the rest of the song! :omg: There can be moments where the song can give me some chills, but yeah "Someone You Loved" is certainly a beautiful song. Also a really random comment but I wonder if this song reminds people of James Arthur's "Say You Won't Let Go" as both songs remind me a lot of each other.  Anyway, this song did really well in the voting round so I expect it will get a lot of support and do well here, which I would not be against.

DEREK

A little bit melodramatic

2. DANCING WITH A STRANGER – SAM SMITH & NORMANI

91240906980f5a126dc97ffa4d9a561e.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

VICTORIA: 2

AKSHAR: 3

GIGI: 3

NICO: 3

RICHARD: 3

STEVEN: 3

TOM: 3

WALLACE: 4

LILY: 5

PRISCILLA: 5

CHRIS: 8

COREY: 9

ALEX: 10

QK: 12

ERIK: 13

DEREK: 17

RICHARD

This is a genuinely good pop song. I’m always a sucker for 80s-type production, and it works especially well here. Sam’s and Normani’s voices gel quite well together, too. Just a very solid track overall.

STEVEN

This is a great collaboration between Sam Smith and Normani. I really like the disco/R&B vibe here, and both artists sound terrific. It kind of feels a bit incomplete though. A bridge would've been nice, but maybe it's just me wanting the song to last a little bit longer. It's a very solid pop song and one of the best songs in this Top 20.

TOM

Flawless and a step up from Normani's hit duet Love Lies from last year!

WALLACE

tumblr_inline_ppq951mUmV1vcppou_500.gif

"Dancing with a Stranger" is such a great song and collaboration from Sam Smith and Normani. I would have never imagined Sam and Normani to do a song together but they sound really great together on this song! I think this is such a smooth midtempo R&B jam that allows Sam's and Normani's vocals to shine. I do love how Sam starts off opening the song with such a rich soulful voice. My favorite parts from Sam are where they sing:

So I don't want to be alone tonight, alone tonight, alone tonight
Can you light the fire? (Light the fire, light the fire)
I need somebody who can take control (Take control)
I know exactly what I need to do
'Cause I don't wanna be alone tonight, alone tonight, alone tonight

I love how Sam sings the chorus of the song that goes:

Look what you made me do, I'm with somebody new
Ooh, baby, baby, I'm dancing with a stranger
Look what you made me do, I'm with somebody new
Ooh, baby, baby, I'm dancing with a stranger
Dancing with a stranger

I also really love Normani's verse and she sounds so sultry and soulful on her part of the song.

I wasn't even going out tonight (Out tonight)
But, boy, I need to get you off of my mind (Off of my mind)
I know exactly what I have to do
I don't wanna be alone tonight, alone tonight, alone tonight

:wub: 

Normani sings the second chorus of the song and I love how she sings her part there. I especially love all of the dancing she does in the music video at that part (and throughout the song). But then I love how Sam & Normani sings the next chorus sections of the song together. They harmonize that part of the song so beautifully. :wub: It's all just so wonderful!

I was happy to see "Dancing with a Stranger" getting a lot of love and support in the voting round. So I'm hoping that is an indication that this song will rank really well and high on here.

COREY

Like every other Sam Smith song, this one is very slow, but at least it delivers its message effectively, without being agonizing, and it's actually kind of nice.

1. TRUTH HURTS – LIZZO

713f196ed0f42f17fc2ba46c17f1c084.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

ALEX: 1

ERIK: 1

VICTORIA: 1

WALLACE: 1

CHRIS: 3

DEREK: 3

LILY: 3

PRISCILLA: 3

RICHARD: 5

COREY: 6

GIGI: 6

NICO: 7

STEVEN: 12

TOM: 17

QK: 20

ALEX

Iconic, I’m sooooooo glad Lizzo blew up in the way she did.

WALLACE

tumblr_pr0cjiNbOi1uu7hnto1_540.gif

Oooh what a beautiful sight it was waking up and finding out that "Truth Hurts" made it to the Final 20 of 2019! :wub: #Bless Alex & Erik for advancing this song! I absolutely love "Truth Hurts" by Lizzo and this song always stood out as my favorite song of 2019. This was also the year where Lizzo really blew up in popularity and got the success she so long deserved. Jams like "Truth Hurts" is proof of that. Ugh I was sooo obsessed and addicted to this song in 2019 and I just could not ever get enough of this! I don't listen to it as much now but my love for this song is still the same and has and will never go away. This is a JAM! Know that! I love everything about this song - from Lizzo's vocals (both rapping/singing), the music production, her attitude in the song, the catchiness and just everything. :wub: Right from the start where she sings, Why're men great 'til they gotta be great?, I am HOOKED! (!) 

Lizzo starts the first verse with that very iconic and memorable line where she sings:

I just took a DNA test, turns out I'm a hundred percent that b**ch

ICONIC! :dead: But then Lizzo kills it on the rest of the verse. And ugh I just love everything she sings/raps there. It's all so fun and catchy.

Even when I'm crying crazy
Yeah, I got boy problems, that's the human in me
Bling bling, then I solve 'em, that's the goddess in me
You coulda had a bad b, non-committal
Help you with your career just a little
You're 'posed to hold me down, but you're holding me back
And that's the sound of me not calling you back

Tell 'em, Lizzo! :bobo: I love how she showcases some vocals in that part and then showed off some attitude and was singing the latter part in a rapping kind of way? Then the way she sings the latter half of that verse just cracks me up in the best way possible. :dead: But then I am HERE for that catchy chorus that follows that verse where Lizzo sings:

Why're men great 'til they gotta be great?
Don't text me, tell it straight to my face
Best friend sat me down in the salon chair
Shampoo press, get you out of my hair
Fresh photos with the bomb lighting
New man on the Minnesota Vikings
Truth hurts, needed something more exciting
Bom bom bi dom bi dum bum bay

It's all SO good and catchy! :bobo: The second verse is just as iconic as the first verse and I love all of what Lizzo sings there too. I love the first half of it where she sings:

You tried to break my heart?
Oh, that breaks my heart
That you thought you ever had it
No, you ain't from the start

But then I love the second half of the verse of the song where Lizzo sings:

I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever be your side chick
I put the sing in single
Ain't worried 'bout a ring on my finger
So you can tell your friend, "shoot your shot" when you see 'em
It's OK, he already in my DM

LOL that last line always makes me giggle. :giggle: But Lizzo continues on slaying as the song progresses into the bridge, which is so fun and I absolutely love it!

I'ma hit you back in a minute
I don't play tag, b, I been it
(One time) We don't f with lies (Two times), we don't do goodbyes
We just keep it pushing like aye yi yi

I love how Lizzo sings the rest of the fun chorus towards the end of the song. I also love the closing ad-libs at the end of the song that goes:

(With the bomb lighting)
(Minnesota Vikings)

I am just super glad I that I can be able to give "Truth Hurts" my #1 ranking! I mentioned how much I love this song but I also love the music video and think it's really fun too! I have no idea where "Truth Hurts" will rank but I am hoping that it will rank really well and high here.

RICHARD

There’s just such a liberated, IDGAF nature to this song that I really enjoy. The lyrics are just the right amount of petty, and Lizzo delivers them with a ton of personality. Not a whole lot more to add.

COREY

A nice sounding rap song with an actual melody, and a great lyrical adventure.

STEVEN

Not one of my favorite Lizzo songs. From what I heard from her, I greatly prefer "Juice" and "Good As Hell." But I still think it's a fun song and Lizzo delivers it well. So, no qualms with it winning this year.

TOM

Truth hurts that this is just not a good song. I just find this so grating, especially the elongated vowels.

4. Oooh yay I'm glad "Sweet but Psycho" did really well and I am not surprised that it did this well. :yes: I was also kinda expecting this to win so hmmmm not sure how I feel yet about it not winning but still, this did wonderfully. ❤️ Slayy at 4 #2 rankings, 7 Top 5 and 11 Top 10 rankings. :wub: And yeah just a few low ranks but not too bad.

3. "Someone You Loved" is a gorgeous song and definitely not surprised to see it ranking so well. I'm just pleased it didn't pull it out the win as it wasn't one of my Top 4 songs, lol. :haha: But oooo wow, it pulled out an impressive 3 #1 rankings and 10 Top 10 rankings is also really good too. I am really shook seeing Corey liking and ranking this so high though.

2. Ooooh yayy veryy pleased for "Dancing with a Stranger" coming in 2nd! I was thinking this song was gonna pull out the win and despite how much I love it, I was hoping that it wouldn't. This is such a smooth, stunning and gorgeous collabo from Sam & Normani. I was expecting and not surprised this ranked so highly and well. And nicee at 13 Top 10 rankings here too. Also wow dangg that's a lot of #3s - 6 #3s is so wow. 😮 I kinda get Steven's comment on the song feeling a bit incomplete and wanting a bridge (I agree on the latter part). Glad Corey has some positive thoughtgs on a Sam Smith song.

1. Yessssss, SLAY at Lizzo's "Truth Hurts" pulling out the win! :spaz: Gosh it's been so long since my #1 won.... but ahhh a long awaited wait here, haha. Ahh yess, this was easily my favorite of the year and yeah I did not expect or think this song had a shot at winning. But so glad and love that it did! :wub: Slayyy and incredible at 5 #1s and 4 #3 rankings. :wub: Then there's also... 13 Top 10 rankings, so all in all, such amazing stats. Tom can sit down with the shade there. 🙂 Not right. So happy to see this pull out the win!