Songs of the 2000s Mini Rankdowns (2023 Round)

Steven_

8. ALL I ASK – ADELE

b224971f00520e26ca7c6d4ab92adab5.1000x1000x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

VICTORIA: 1

ERIK: 2

GIGI: 3

RICHARD: 6

CHRIS: 7

LILY: 7

ALEX: 9

STEVEN: 11

TOM: 12

WALLACE: 13

AKSHAR: 14

REI: 15

COREY: 17

NICO: 17

DEREK: 19

RICHARD

Gorgeous song. Adele’s vocals are on point as always, and she delivers the heartfelt lyrics with a lot of conviction.

STEVEN

Adele sounds beautiful on this track. It's definitely a standout on her 25 album, and all the critical acclaim for this song is well-earned.

WALLACE

tumblr_ny3modc9wp1r9dm6no2_250.gifv

Hmm I feel like it's so odd having "All I Ask" by Adele on here, because it's not really a song I thought of or knew of as a single or something? I know the song from where she performed it on live performances on award shows or concert specials or what not?  But I guess I just don't know it as well as her big radio singles from from this era. I know and believe it's a big fan favorite. I just struggle with where to rank it but I think this spot around the low middle'ish section works? As always, Adele sounds really gorgeous and pours so much heart, soul and emotion into what she's singing here. She sounds great on the verses, of course. But the chorus is the real money maker of the song. That part is so gorgeous, powerful and just so good. That part of the song always sticks out to me where she sings:

All I ask is
If this is my last night with you
Hold me like I'm more than just a friend
Give me a memory I can use
Take me by the hand while we do what lovers do
It matters how this ends
'Cause what if I never love again?

I especially love how she sings that first line that goes: If this is my last night with you. So good! :omg: That's my very favorite part! The bridge is another great part of the song that I love where Adele sings:

Let this be our lesson in love
Let this be the way we remember us
I don't wanna be cruel or vicious
And I ain't asking for forgiveness
All I ask is

Then I love how Adele slays and powers through the rest of the song!  This is simply just another gorgeous song from Adele. Sadly, my lack of hearing it as much as some other songs places it here... and yeah it was just a tough ranking to figure out. Although I'm sure this will rank well regardless. Ooh and as probably the biggest Bruno Mars fan here (whom co-wrote this song with Adele), I love his version of the song, so I'll post that to give it some attention.

REI

A perfectly fine song from Adele with great vocals as usual but it is just not one of my favorites.

COREY

This song has Adele's powerful vocals in a somewhat decent ballad, but otherwise falls flat.

7. MOTIVATION – NORMANI

adbc9fb92b17b04bfe099acd9c706388.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

AKSHAR: 1

COREY: 3

LILY: 3

WALLACE: 3

ALEX: 7

VICTORIA: 8

ERIK: 9

STEVEN: 12

DEREK: 13

NICO: 14

REI: 14

RICHARD: 14

GIGI: 16

TOM: 17

CHRIS: 18

COREY

This song came out of nowhere. It was never on my radar, but here it is near the top of my list. It's got a fast tempo, and it's catchy.

WALLACE

normani-motivation.gif

Time for a mini rant but UGH "Motivation" should have been a much bigger hit than what it was. This song is really such pop/R&B goodness, and so is that music video. Normani went ALL OUT for this song/video and it just deserved better. (!) It also really should have launched Normani's solo career too. 😢 With that said, I do really love "Motivation" and am very glad to see this song make it through to the Final 20 here! :wub: Normani does bring that slinky and sensual vocals here to the song. I really enjoy how she sings the verses and I also like how the beat compliments her vocals there too. 

I do love the pre-chorus and how she sings that part that goes:

Fallin' into the bed
Why would we ever do somethin' instead of
Fallin' into the bed right now? Yeah

But then I reallly love that chorus so much! As I said, it's that classic pop/R&B goodness that I love where she sings:

I'ma break you off, let me be your motivation
To stay and give it tonight
And, baby, turn around, let me give you innovation
Hey, 'cause I do it so right
Think about it, ooh, I think about it
Think about it, ooh, take a look at me now
Hey, a little motivation, alright

So fun and catchy! :bobo: Then from the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

You got a bad one, baby, don't you?
Got a bad one, baby, don't you
And we both know there's no
One better, boy, no one better, boy 

Get you naked, but I won't tell 'em

lol I love how she sings that last line in a harmonizing a capella fashion. Then I love the breakdown with the trumpets on the bridge and how Normani sings the rest of the song. :wub: 

This is just one of those songs that has so much energy and makes me so happy whenever listening to this! :bobo: But I also reallly LOVE that music video. That music video is just simply so iconic. Love all of the different looks Normani has, all of the killer and slayage dancing she does and all of the homages to past iconic music videos. :omg: The video feels like such an event and helps elevate the song. Ugh I still puzzled how this didn't take off. But I'm pleased "Motivation" made it here and I hope to see it rank well.

ALEX

I just know she’s working hard on the album…right?

STEVEN

Really catchy song from Normani. It's not a song I've listened to much before, but I liked it enough now to rank it here.

REI

This is good

RICHARD

A bit of a shoulder shrug of a song, I’d say. I don’t really think there’s anything technically wrong with it, but it also doesn’t do much for me.

6. SOMETHING IN THE WATER – CARRIE UNDERWOOD

f6d5f2a9e9b871a462ed35e4d8539ab9.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

STEVEN: 1

TOM: 1

CHRIS: 3

GIGI: 4

WALLACE: 4

VICTORIA: 5

DEREK: 6

RICHARD: 10

AKSHAR: 11

ERIK: 11

COREY: 14

ALEX: 17

LILY: 17

REI: 19

NICO: 20

STEVEN

"Something in the Water" is my favorite song, so I'm thrilled it's here in the Top 20. Shoutout to Chris for helping me advance all these Carrie songs to the Top 20. Those disappointing low rankings were expected, but I'm pleasantly surprised it ranked this high in the Top 20. Carrie Underwood is an amazing vocalist, and she really showcases the power of her voice in this song. She sounds amazing here, and I was blown away by this song when I first heard it. Carrie always sounds amazing with her beautiful and powerful voice, especially when she's singing about her faith. "Something in the Water" instantly became my favorite Carrie Underwood song, and I'm not sure if another song will outrank "Something in the Water" for me. Not only do I love Carrie's vocals on this song, but I love the lyrics too. I am a religious person, so this song definitely speaks to me. It's a song about being changed for the better after letting faith into your life, and the lyrics allude to baptism. What I also like about the song is that it has such a joyous and uplifting feel to it. Everything about this song comes together perfectly, and it was very deserving of its Grammy win. And I'm so glad I finally was able to see Carrie perform "Something in the Water" live when I saw her in concert last year. It's such an incredible and inspirational song, and it remains Carrie's best song in my opinion.  

WALLACE

51Bx.gif

I have always really loved "Something in the Water" and do consider this to be one of my very top favorite songs from Carrie Underwood! I had a strong feeling that this song would have made the Top 20 this round and I'm glad it did. I wouldn't have minded and would have been here for the other Carrie songs to make it through to the finals, but this was the main Carrie song I was hoping to see through here. So thanks Steven & Chris on advancing this though. I do like how this song has that Contemporary Christian feel to it, alongside Country, which Carrie can sing so well. Her vocals truly soar in this song... and it's one of my favorite, if not very favorite, vocal performances from her.

Carrie sounds gorgeous on the opening verse of the song. I do love the parts where she sings it a little faster, like where she sings:

Wastin' the life that the good Lord gave me
Then somebody said what I'm sayin' to you
Opened my eyes and told me the truth
He said, "Just a little faith, it'll all get better"
So I followed that preacher man down to the river

I also love how she sings the pre-chorus and the chorus of the song, but especially the vocal range she sings there. I love the soft falsetto notes and then how she transitions to the big power notes! :omg: 

And now I'm changed
And now I'm stronger
There must've been something in the water
Oh, there must've been something in the water

It's all SO good! :wub: Then from the second verse, I really love the parts where she sings:

I was all out of hope, and all out of fight
Couldn't fight back the tears, so I fell on my knees
Sayin', "God if you're there come and rescue me" 

Got washed in the water, washed in the blood

Carrie continues to swell up and slayy through the song once that bridge comes up. I love the power and range she showcases while singing that part of the song where she sings:

And now I'm singin' along to "Amazing Grace"
Can't nobody wipe this smile off my face
Got joy in my heart, angels on my side
Thank God Almighty, I saw the light
I'm gonna look ahead, no turnin' back
Live every day, give it all that I have
Trust in someone bigger than me
Ever since the day that I believed
I am chaaaannngggeeeed
And now I'm stroooonnnnggggeeeerrrr

Then I love how she closes the song, where she adds in some "Amazing Grace" ad-libs.

I am stronger (I once was lost)
(But now I'm found) stronger
(Was blind, but now I see)

Phew the vocals Carrie delivers here are showstopping and insane. :omg: She makes it all so good and effortless! I also really enjoy the music video here too. She's very beautiful in it and I love all of the dancing from the dancers in this. I'm not sure how well or high this song will rank but I'm hoping it can rank high and can hopefully make it to the Top 10, especially for Steven!

DEREK

Coming from someone who is not religious in any way shape or form and who cut Jesus Take the Wheel this song is absolutely fantastic and that's not even taking the video into consideration. That being said, I also believe in SYTYCD supremacy and love that I also get to see Queen Justine Lutz and Matty Peacock and all the gang as part of the company as well

RICHARD

As I’ve talked about in the past, it’s difficult for me to place religious music considering my history. Being as objective as I think I can, though, I feel like this is the right spot for this one. It’s a really powerful song for sure, and definitely up there as one of Carrie’s best vocal showcases. She can really hang with the best of them when she wants to, and that definitely seemed to be the case here.

COREY

It's an okay little song, but I'm not really impressed by it.

REI

It was just alright for me. Steven, I promise that I´m always trying to be the most fair with my rankings but Carrie´s sound just doesn´t appeal to me most of the time.

5. TOUCH – LITTLE MIX

815096cc2255e7bf0ad8326c71dd4e2f.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

COREY: 2

WALLACE: 2

ERIK: 4

TOM: 4

AKSHAR: 5

GIGI: 5

NICO: 5

STEVEN: 7

ALEX: 8

LILY: 9

RICHARD: 13

DEREK: 14

VICTORIA: 14

REI: 18

CHRIS: 19

COREY

One of only two "favorites" of mine that made the list this round. Typically there are seven. I like this song, but take its ranking with a grain of salt.

WALLACE

b80e7145b9fbf88fddb1c3c77a6b654c.gif

Ahh I'm really happy to have some Little Mix representation happen in this game! Ugh time for another mini-rant but Ughh the U.S. (especially U.S. radio) have really done Little Mix so dirty over their career. I really wish they were more successful in the U.S. as they truly deserve that! But at least Little Mix proved to be huge worldwide so that's fantastic! I'm really glad that "Touch" made it through to the finals and thank you to all of the rankers who voted this song through. :wub: Although a shout-out to "Bad Boys" as I am still really sad to see that song missed out and I wanted to see that make it through to the finals. 😢 

Anywho, I often question and am unsure of what my favorite Little Mix song is but I do often gravitate to choosing "Touch." I just always really loved and jam out to this song! :bobo: I love the dance-pop and tropical house feel this song has, which I feel is a bit of a different sound from Little Mix (the tropical flavor that is). I do love what all of the ladies bring to this track as well. I do love how Leigh-Anne starts off singing the song:

You and I and nobody else
Feeling feelings I've never felt
The way you got me under your spell
Don't you keep it all to yourself

I love the power that Perrie brings to her part where she sings the first pre-chorus of the song:

So won't you take it?
I feel like for the first time I am not faking
Fingers on my buttons and now you're playing
Master of anticipation, don't you keep it all to yourself

The chorus is SO fun and infectious... and it's such a vibe. I especially lovvee it the second time around where the music intensifies and it brings in that tropical house feel too.

Just a touch of your love is enough
To knock me off of my feet all week
Just a touch of your love, oh
Just a touch of your love is enough
To take control of my whole body

So fun and catchy! :bobo:

Then from the second verse, I do love the sensual flavor that Jesy brings to the second verse where she sings:

Photograph with no T-shirt on
Why you making me wait so long?
(Wait so long)
I promise to keep this a secret, I'll never tell
But don't you keep it all to yourself
Do-do-do-do-do-do-do

I love how Jade sings the second pre-chorus and I always love the soft and sweetness in her voice. :wub: I do like how the song slows down a bit on the bridge, though it's probably my least favorite of the song? Oops, but still love it. I do love how the song pumps right back up once the chorus comes back! :bobo: All of the ladies of Little Mix really kill it vocally and style-wise here. :bobo:

"Touch" is a great, fun song and such a fun time! This is just another one of those songs that makes me smile and so happy whenever I hear this! :wub::bobo: I also really love the music video too, which is a lot of fun. The ladies all look really gorgeous in it too! I loved seeing so many votes and support for this song in the voting round. I'm really hoping that translates here and that "Touch" can rank high here.

ERIK

Definitely one of their best songs

STEVEN

I'm glad we finally got some Little Mix representation in this game. Although "Touch" isn't a top favorite (I prefer "Secret Love Song," "Shoutout to My Ex," "Salute," and "Black Magic"), I still like it a lot. It's very catchy, and Little Mix delivers this song really well.

RICHARD

This is a fine pop song. Not one that I think I’d revisit on my own anytime soon, but it’s decent enough and well-produced.

REI

Just alright

8. Oooh it's so interesting how the song I was most surprised about not showing up then shows up at #8. "All I Ask" is a really beautiful song from Adele and great spot for it. Though I am glad this is the first of her two songs to show up here, haha.

7. Oooh, I definitely did not expect "Motivation" to make it all the way to 7th but I will certainly take it. Great spot for this! Such a fun and hot jam from Normani. :bobo: Wow so many #3s and #14s for this song. And oooo also love seeing this as Akshar's #1 which I was not expecting. 😮

6. "Something in the Water" is a really gorgeous song from Carrie and glad to see this making it all the way to 6th! ❤️ Really love reading all of Steven's comments on this song and am glad he's happy with where this placed too! 😄 I am not surprised with Derek's SYTYCD shoutout regarding the video. :giggle:

5. Ahh dangg, "Touch" was sooo close to making the Top 5 and I was hoping that it would have gotten there. :dead: Ah well, but that's okay as 5th is still a really high and great spot for it. I'm just glad a Little Mix song managed to do this well. :wub: Love seeing 7 Top 5 rankings for this and 10 Top 10 rankings. :wub: I do wish more of their songs could have made it through but I'm glad one of my very favorites of theirs made it.

Got the following spots remaining: 1, 5, 7, 16. 

Ahh dang I was doing soo good. Bummer to have lost my 2-3-4 all in the same set. :dead: But very pleased they all made it to the Top 7 though!

Four more #1s and the last #20 all got revealed in this latest set.

#1s revealed (10): Alex, Rei, Corey, Derek, Chris, Gigi, Victoria, Akshar, Steven, Tom
#1s remaining (5): Erik, Lily, Nico, Richard, Wallace

#20s revealed (15): Lily, Victoria, Chris, Akshar, Corey, Tom, Gigi, Erik, Steven, Alex, Wallace, Rei, Richard, Nico
#20s remaining (0): N/A 

4. SHAKE IT OUT – FLORENCE + THE MACHINE

3ad50327af892ed6e1c3b6b8b1289bb5.608x608x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

NICO: 1

RICHARD: 1

VICTORIA: 3

AKSHAR: 4

COREY: 4

CHRIS: 5

ALEX: 6

ERIK: 7

WALLACE: 7

TOM: 8

REI: 11

STEVEN: 15

LILY: 16

DEREK: 18

GIGI: 19

RICHARD

I’m surprised by myself, haha. Prior to my first listen this time around, I knew I’d be placing this song at least in my top half, but the more I listened and thought about it, the higher it rose in my ranking until it ended up here at the very top.

This song takes a while to get to that first chorus, but once it gets there, it’s pretty sensational. Florence is such a powerful singer, and she delivers that chorus and all the subsequent ones with so much conviction and power. The instrumentation that backs her up complements her approach to the song perfectly, and the transition from the bridge to the final choruses with that note… oof. I think that solidified this as my #1, actually. Stellar song, needless to say.

COREY

Florence can belt out those tunes while her band rocks out. This song does not disappoint.

WALLACE

86744405b9f7814962085a0651280ac8.gif

I do feel kinda all over the place when it comes to Florence + The Machine? Overall I'm not the hugest fan of hers/theirs? and some songs I can't really get into that much. However, I do really like "Shake It Out"  and this is one of my favorite songs from Florence + The Machine. This is a really gorgeous, powerful and moving song. Florence does sound reallly pretty and stunning on the verses here. Some of my favorite parts are where she sings:

Here to relive your darkest moments
I can see no way, I can see no way 

But I like to keep some things to myself
I like to keep my issues drawn
It's always darkest before the dawn

I also really like how she builds up the song, I think on the pre-chorus where she sings:

And I've been a fool and I've been blind (I've been blind)
I can never leave the past behind
I can see no way, I can see no way 

'Cause I like to keep my issues drawn
But it's always darkest before the dawn

The chorus is really great, strong and so powerful. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the song where she sings:

Shake it out, shake it out
Shake it out, shake it out, ooh whoa
Shake it out, shake it out
Shake it out, shake it out, ooh whoa
And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back
So shake him off, oh whoa

That chorus also has a great anthemic and powerful sound to it too. Then I feel like the bridge has a lot of going as well. I really like the parts where she sings:

And it's hard to dance with the devil on your back (shake him off)
And given half the chance would I take any of it back? (shake him off)
It's a fine romance, but it's left me so undone (shake him off)
It's always darkest before the dawn (shake him off)
(Oh whoa, oh whoa) 

And I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't
So here's to drinks in the dark at the end of my road 

'Cause looking for heaven, found the devil in me (oh whoa)
Looking for heaven, for the devil in me (oh whoa)

Wow Florence really belts it out and hits some big high notes. The buildup in this song is really strong and powerful. :omg: "Shake It Out" did get a lot of votes in the voting round so I would not be surprised seeing this song making it really high. I can see it at least making it to the Top 8... and I could even see it making it to the Top 3 or 4.

REI

I always love me some Florence

STEVEN

I know of Florence + The Machine, but I don't listen to their music. I ended up liking this better than I anticipated. It's a good song, although not a favorite of mine. It's understandable why it managed to make it to the Top 4.

3. TURNING TABLES – ADELE

b15468cf7adc594d272f7382c551a964.600x600x1.png

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

GIGI: 2

VICTORIA: 2

RICHARD: 4

ALEX: 5

ERIK: 5

WALLACE: 5

TOM: 7

NICO: 8

CHRIS: 10

DEREK: 10

REI: 10

STEVEN: 10

AKSHAR: 13

COREY: 13

LILY: 18

RICHARD

Probably one of Adele’s best songs, at least out of the ones I’ve heard. It’s not completely bombastic; she delivers a subtlety here through a lot of it that’s really nice, and then she tears apart the choruses with a good amount of power. From the lyrics to the delivery, this song is pretty terrific.

ALEX

Excellent Adele representation in the game for this round.

WALLACE

tumblr_mrh5t2o8rp1snqg5fo1_500.gif

2f3eceac-46a7-4bda-a1a3-4f119409f0de_tex

I have always loved "Turning Tables" and I initally would have considered it one of my favorite album tracks from Adele. I didn't know this song was released as a single in England and Italy. And ugh now I'm jealous learning that as I always wanted this song to be released as a single in the U.S. But oh well. I love the piano playing production of this song. It's so dramatic and powerful. Adele sounds really gorgeous and powerful in this song, as she always does. There's so many great parts here. I love how she sings the opening verse:

Close enough to start a war
All that I have is on the floor
God only knows what we're fighting for
All that I say, you always say more

I love how she builds the song up on the pre-chorus where she sings:

I can't keep up with your turning tables
Under your thumb I can't breathe

Then I love it even more with how she builds up the chorus and just powers through that part of the song! :omg: 

So, I won't let you close enough to hurt me
No, I won't rescue you to just desert me
I can't give you what you think you gave me
It's time to say goodbye to turning tables
To turning tables

:omg: 

From the second verse, I especially love how she sings the line. I braved a hundred storms to leave you

I don't know how Adele keeps on building up this song with so much power and dynamics but.... she just manages to do so once she gets to that bridge. 

Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own saviour
When the thunder calls for me
Next time I'll be braver
I'll be my own saviour
Standing on my own two feet

SO good! :omg: 

And yeah this song "Turning Tables" is just SO good in general! I feel like this song has the potential to rank really high and well here. It got way more votes than "All I Ask," so I'm still hoping those votes can translate to "Turning Tables" ranking higher.

REI

The superior Adele song in this round. I like this a lot and hope it places higher than the other one. Also 21>>>>25

STEVEN

I really like this song. It's got a lovely piano melody, and Adele's vocals are pristine here. I like the lyrics here too.

COREY

Just another overrated song from Adele.

2. RUN AWAY WITH ME – CARLY RAE JEPSEN

9c12f45c2ec3fc99c95f18cad89c9f6d.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ALEX: 3

DEREK: 3

RICHARD: 3

NICO: 4

REI: 4

LILY: 5

STEVEN: 5

CHRIS: 6

AKSHAR: 9

VICTORIA: 11

TOM: 11

COREY: 12

ERIK: 12

GIGI: 15

WALLACE: 16

ALEX

When I said I don’t care about Carly Rae Jepsen…this song NOT included!!! Forever thinking about the lesbian Mr. Robot airport scene

DEREK

This just won the CRJ discography game and hella deserved. Go read my comments there for more details. Maybe I should update the front page of that thread so it's easier to find lol

RICHARD

I was really bummed when this song wasn’t available for the 2015 rankdown, lol. Needless to say, I’m glad I was able to get it through here. 

To me, it might actually be up there as one of the best pop songs I’ve heard. Everything about it is stellar, from the production to the composition. I love the saxophone in particular, as it really helps to give the track a vibe that’s both fun and a bit nostalgic. Carly’s terrific here, too, her vocals pairing seamlessly with everything else. The overall song just evokes such a free and fun feeling, and part of me is sad it didn’t become a smash hit, because I think it definitely deserved to be one.

REI

There's a reason why this won the recent CRJ round and it is because it's a perfect song.

STEVEN

I don't know Carly Rae Jepsen's discography enough to have participated in her discography mini-rankdown. However, I was rooting for "Run Away With Me" to win, so I'm glad to see it did manage to pull off the win there. And it almost won this round too. "Run Away With Me" really is a perfect pop song. I really like the instrumentation here, particularly the saxophone. The way it builds to that chorus is really enjoyable too. Carly also captures the euphoric feeling of the song well too.

COREY

Carly Rae Jepsen couldn't make it to #1 with "Call Me Maybe", but enough people found it necessary to bring this song into the Top 20?

WALLACE

run-away-with-me-carly-rae-jepsen.gif

From following the Carly Rae Jepsen discography round, I see that this song is a really big  favorite of hers from her fans. I've heard this a few times and hmmmm, I don't quite get the big buzz of this yet? It's probably one of those songs I need to hear more and multiple times for it to really grow on me. I don't really care much for the verses. The chorus is good and enjoyable... and that chorus grows on me the more I hear it. It's really cute and fun. I especially like how she sings those "BABY" parts and the line with it and those "run away with me" parts.

Baby, take me to the feeling 

Run away with me
Run away with me
Baby, every single minute 

Run away with me
Run away with me

Overall, this is fine/decent for me but I do prefer a number of other Carly Rae songs more. :ph34rwave: I am sure this will rank really well and higher than "Cut to the Feeling," but I wouldn't mind being wrong on that prediction. :giggle:

1. LOVE ON TOP – BEYONCÉ

bf7fb14c0ba4ad9af5b142e669177b40.1000x1000x1.jpg

MUSIC VIDEO LINK

ERIK: 1

LILY: 1

WALLACE: 1

DEREK: 4

STEVEN: 4

RICHARD: 5

AKSHAR: 6

COREY: 6

VICTORIA: 6

GIGI: 7

CHRIS: 11

NICO: 11

ALEX: 12

REI: 12

TOM: 18

ERIK

TOP TIER BEYONCE SONG QUEEN ATE DOWN ANYONE WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS WRONG BYE

WALLACE

tumblr_mjrq0i6cCa1qd4d7jo1_500.gif

E4r6.gif

I absolutely LOVE "Love on Top" from Beyoncé and am super happy to see this song make it through to the finals! I did have a few songs I wanted to see make the finals and I didn't know which one to go with.... but I do want to give a big thank you to Erik on advancing this song with me! 😄 :hug: "Love On Top" is such a fun, feel good and infectious song that just puts a smile on my face and makes me so happy. As you all know, with what I've been saying of the songs in my Top 3, I just love these kinds of infectious and happy songs that just makes me smile. :wub: I also love the classic old school R&B vibe that this song has. And then Beyoncé vocals here? Absolute KILLER! :omg: I do love everything about this song and how she sings everything on this song! The way she sings the opening verse, is just.... giving that feeling of sunshine and happiness where she sings:

Bring the beat in
Honey honey
I can see the stars all the way from here
Can't you see the glow on the window pane
I can feel the sun whenever you're near
Every time you touch me I just melt away

:wub:

Then the buildup to the pre-chorus is sooo fun and soo good where she sings:

Now everybody asks me why I'm smiling out from ear to ear
(They say love hurts)
But I know (it's gonna take the real work) oh-oh
Nothing's perfect but it's worth it
After fighting through my tears and finally you put me first

Then she builds up the song even more on that chorus, which is SO fun, infectious and happy where she sings:

Baby, it's you
You're the one I love
You're the one I need
You're the only one I see
Come on, baby, it's you
You're the one that gives your all
You're the one I can always call
When I need to make everything stop
Finally, you put my love on top
Ooh, come on, baby
You put my love on top top top top top
You put my love on top
Ooh, ooh
Come on, baby
You put my love on top top top top top
You put my love on top
My love on top

I can't stop wubbing and jamming along! :wub: :bobo: Then from the second verse, I really love the parts where she sings:

Baby, baby
As we dance the night away 

As I kiss you again and again and again and again

❤️ 

But whoaa the last minute and 20 seconds of the song is STUFF of legends. I really love how Beyoncé sings the last section of the song with how she sings the chorus. She sings it with so much vocal power and range but somehow just builds it up to a higher level more each time she sings it? It's vocal INSANITY. :omg: I'm just slayed and impressed. I love all of the big notes, the falsetto notes, the whistle notes.... and just all of that vocal range she shows off.  This is such a difficult song to pull off but Beyoncé truly pulls it off! :omg: 

I know "Love On Top" is quite well liked on here, or soooo I hope it is. I'm hoping to see this song rank really well and high here, so keeping fingers crossed! I also really love the music video too. It brings such a feel good vibe to it and matches the song so well.

DEREK

Iconic key change song, always been one of my favorites. Did someone rob this in the discography game? I don't remember, I feel like Elliott was a hater

STEVEN

"Love On Top" might be my favorite Beyoncé song. I go back and forth between this one and "Halo." "Love On Top" is such a feel good song with a catchy arrangement and stellar vocals from Beyoncé. It's so much fun to listen to. It's got a bouncy arrangement and gets you grooving along to it whenever it plays. :bobo: I like how happy the song is. Beyoncé captures that cheerful spirit of the lyrics well too. And like others here mentioned, the key changes towards the end of the song are very impressive indeed. I like "Love On Top" a lot, and I'm happy to see it win this round.

RICHARD

This ranking may or may not surprise people, because I haven’t typically ranked Beyoncé’s songs the highest, but I dig this one. It’s infectious and full of spirit, and she kills it vocally. I especially love the four (!) key changes at the end, which builds an extra bit of excitement because when you think she’s going to stop, she just keeps going.

COREY

It's a decent song, but even though I gave it #6, it's not one of my favorites.

ALEX

This song is c00t and very funny considering what was gonna pop up next on the playlist

REI

Not one of my top faves from Queen Bey but it is a great song nonetheless.

Edited by Steven_
  • Like 1

4. I had a really strong feeling that "Shake It Out" would have done really well and make it to the Top 4 here. It's very impressive with this song getting 6 Top 5 and 10 Top 10 rankings. Ooh I wasn't expecting this to be Richard's #1 but love reading how that was a surprise to him. :haha:

3. "Turning Tables" is a really gorgeous song and glad this was Adele's higher ranked song here. Wow I'm seeing a lot of #5s and #10s for this song. Agree on a lot of Richard's comments and also agree with Rei too.

2. I knew that "Run Away With Me" would rank really well and high here. Well done to it getting this high and I enjoyed reading the positive comments on this one.

1. Oooh #bless and yayyy sooo happy to see "Love On Top" pull out the win here! :wub: It took about.... three Top 2 finishes but come the 4th time, sooo very happy Beyoncé got that win here. :Bye2: Love this song a ton and it just makes me so happy. :wub: Veryy happy with the 3 #1s, 6 Top 5 and 10 Top 10 rankings. YESS @ Erik's comments! Lmao to Derek's comment, yess.... Elliott is a LOT hater, but it did make it to the finals of her round. I think it came in 4th or 5th there? And I feel like Elliott probably ranked it last?  Loving all of the positive comments! Love seeing Steven calling this favorite song of Beyoncé's alongside "Halo." And ahh yeah just veryy happy with how this round finished! :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who participated in these rounds. :yes: 

So, I've decided not to move forward with 2020-2022 bonus rounds. I would be willing to revive this in January for a 2023 round though. 

As for a '90s edition...maybe. I'm still on the fence, but I might be willing to host that one in a few weeks. I just want a break first since hosting these games can be time-consuming.

Thanks again. 👍

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

How are you handling the news @FrogLenzen?

asd;fljhnadpfouvbjna;fjbn;sdhuopewrgjadfb;jkbfb o;bajrsjiafn gpavjsadjn vp;gdsfjvnasjgvb sufgpasuigpbaiuewuiaobvibnlavslkhjasdvblajdsfbv asdklnfgvioase;kbjp agssbjolk hasdfvbl klkndsjafvlkzdsfvlbksbugerjilaslkdghjes

• Haha 3

• 3 months later...