SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

*Wallace

On 12/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, rpryor03 said:

WE STAN THIS CAST.

I actually read so many bad comments on this on social media. :ph34rwave: But I actually really enjoyed this. Loved the mash-ups they did of current pop songs and would be interested in seeing/hearing more from this (with the storyline, songs and such). 

5 hours ago, Hbrue123 said:

HRVY doing the Charleston and Rumba 

Oooh HRVY should slayy with the Charleston. :omg: Been wanting to see him do that style for weeks now. So looking forward to this.

Anywho, This was a fun video I just found of some of this year’s Strictly cast talking of some past Strictly dances well we can ignore the first two:

Dances they critiqued:

Ed & Katya - Salsa

Scott & Joanne - Samba

Jay & Aliona - Jive

Jake & Janette - Samba and Salsa

Abbey & Aljaz - Waltz

Charles & Karen - Street

Alexandra & Gorka - Jive

Joe & Dianne - Charleston

I do feel like the choices were chosen either via the pros or the celebs connection to past celebs. But a fun watch. :haha: 

Week 8 Semi Final song + dance style spoilers: 

Bill and Oti:

Tango to Enter Sandman by Metallica

Charleston to (Won't You Come Home) Bill Bailey by Ottilie Patterson with Chris Barber

HRVY and Janette:

Charleston to Another Day of Sun by La La Land Cast

Rumba to Only You by Kylie Minogue and James Corden

Jamie and Karen:

Quickstep to Thank God I'm a Country Boy by John Denver

Salsa to Last Dance by Donna Summer

Maisie and Gorka:

Viennese Waltz to A Thousand Years by Christina Perri

Couple's Choice: Street/Commercial to Gettin' Jiggy Wit It by Will Smith

Ranvir and Giovanni:

Waltz to Un Giorni Per Noi by Josh Groban

Jive to Candyman by Christina Aguilera

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIiYzXWhXQU/

Thoughts:

- Lol I don’t know this Bill Charleston song but I am surprised they waited so long to use this.

:haha: I did read he used the “Bill” name because of this song and his real name is Mark, but yeah this should be a good one from him. A Metallica Tango sure is interesting but think he could perform that well.

- I don’t know either of HRVY’s songs - although i should know his Charleston song as I have watched La La Land but I don’t now it that well. Regardless, he should be amazing on a Charleston so looking forward to that. His Rumba will be tricky but he’s the best guy that could do it justice and still think it will be pretty good - but not sure how good?

- LOL I CAN’T @ the producers giving  Jamie “Last Dance” for his Salsa. They are not subtle AT ALL with that. :dead: But also not surprised Jamie has two fast dances, and wow he hasn’t done any proper slow dances. Don’t know his Quickstep song but if its a country song, not too excited for that - but both should be fun dances.

- Kinda wish Maisie could have had a Paso rather than a CC/Street routine but she was due for her Couples’ Choice so that’s fine. She should slay that style and hopefully can get a perfect score. She also got a very beautiful VW song and that should be very beautiful from her.

- Lmaooo when we  said we needed to see a different side of Ranvir, a Waltz ain’t it. :see no evil monkey: I wish she had the Tango instead but this Waltz should be beautiful and could give her 10s. But it’s great we get to see a different and fun side of Ranvir with her Jive, and really love the song choice. Looking forward to that.

6 hours ago, *Amanda said:

@*Wallace, your spoiler tags are way off. :dead: 

Hide contents

There’s several styles I wish we got to see Maisie do, but it’s only fair that she gets to do the free-for-all that is the couples choice when the others got to do it.

OMG I'm a mess. :dead: Thanks for pointing that out.

And yeah, totally agree at your comments here too. Ugh the biggest downside of a shorter series. :(   I do have a list of the styles all of the Final 5 missed out.

Bill & Oti - Waltz, Salsa, Samba, Rumba, Foxtrot, and Viennese Waltz

HRVY & Janette - Waltz, Samba, Paso Doble, Quickstep, Foxtrot and Argentine Tango

Ranvir & Giovanni - Salsa, Rumba, Tango, Samba, Charleston and Couple's Choice

Maisie & Gorka - Waltz, Rumba, Foxtrot, Paso Doble, Argentine Tango and Charleston

Jamie & Karen - Waltz, Foxtrot, Rumba, Paso Doble, Viennese Waltz and Argentine Tango

Most sad about missing out a Samba/Paso/Quickstep from HRVY, Tango & Rumba from Ranvir, Paso Doble/Argentine Tango/Charleston from Maisie. :( Also one of the Waltzes from Bill and Jamie as I'm curious how they would do with those dances.

On 12/7/2020 at 9:32 PM, *Wallace said:

I actually read so many bad comments on this on social media. :ph34rwave: But I actually really enjoyed this. Loved the mash-ups they did of current pop songs and would be interested in seeing/hearing more from this (with the storyline, songs and such). 

Bad comments about it on social media? We are not surprised because not everyone appreciate musicals. Plus they haven't really been able to perform 8 times a week like they would normally, so they have been away from performing since the pandemic started so of course it wasn't as sharp as you would see on stage.

But it's very critically acclaimed, and three of the actors (the original Juliet and two others) won the Oliver awards for their role so nothing bad about the musical.  Anwyay, the musical is using Max Martin`s catalogue to tell the story of Juliet and what if she didn't die in Romeo & Juliet.  

Anyway, I absolutely love that musical - the soundtrack is incredible & show is amazing. 

Edited by *Chris

After being unable to catch up on last week, here are on my thoughts on this week:

• JJ & Amy: This was a Charleston? Not in my book. The song was perfect for the charleston but they were unable to deliver anything close to a perfect Charleston, and the routine was too slow. And he looked a bit uncomfortable throughout the routine #oops.

• Ranvir & Giovanni: Waitress is one of my favourite modern musical, and you can never go wrong with this song. They did not disappoint - it was perfect in every single way.

• Maisie & Gorka: Another song that I absolutely love! May not have the best Jive technically speaking but a super fun routine.

• Bill & Oti: Not feeling this routine - it was missing some element for me. And I feel it had everything to be intense but they were not able to achieve it.

• HRVY & Janette: Flawless! My pick to win!

• Jamie & Karen: Jamie literally looked like Jamie from the musical :haha:. Anyway, Jive wasn't bad but not to Maisie's level so that didn't help him as she pretty much hit all of the elements, and he did not. 

14 hours ago, *Chris said:

Bad comments about it on social media? We are not surprised because not everyone appreciate musicals. Plus they haven't really been able to perform 8 times a week like they would normally, so they have been away from performing since the pandemic started so of course it wasn't as sharp as you would see on stage.

But it's very critically acclaimed, and three of the actors (the original Juliet and two others) won the Oliver awards for their role so nothing bad about the musical.  Anwyay, the musical is using Max Martin`s catalogue to tell the story of Juliet and what if she didn't die in Romeo & Juliet.  

Anyway, I absolutely love that musical - the soundtrack is incredible & show is amazing. 

Lol yeahh that shouldn't really be surpising I guess. :haha: And ooo yeah you do bring up some good points here. I am glad they were able to perform on Strictly as they haven't been able to perform elsewhere.  

Oooh I didn't know it was an award winning musical either. Wow that is reallly cool. 😮 

And great review from you tooo! 😄 :hug: 

• Like 1

Time to provide a weekly Youtube views post!

1. HRVY & Janette - American Smooth: 219,567 views / 3,727 likes / 56 dislikes
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Jive: 193,199 views / 2,236 likes / 51 dislikes
  3. Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz: 136,296 views / 1,508 likes / 29 dislikes
  4. Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango: 116,629 views / 1,114 likes / 40 dislikes
  5. Jamie & Karen - Jive: 90,729 views / 884 likes / 42 dislikes
  6. JJ & Amy - Charleston: 61,240 views / 776 likes / 34 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. HRVY & Janette - American Smooth
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Jive
  3. Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. JJ & Amy - Charleston
  2. Jamie & Karen - Jive
  3. Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. HRVY & Janette - American Smooth
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Jive
  3. Jamie & Karen - Jive

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz
  2. JJ & Amy - Charleston
  3. Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCD Series 18, Top 10 Most Viewed Dances - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Wednesday 12/9 @ 8:45 PM)

1. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial [Week 4]: 980,735 views / 11,975 likes / 231 dislikes
  2. HRVY & Janette - Jive [Week 1]: 913,782 views / 12,920 likes / 213 dislikes
  3. Maisie & Gorka - Samba [Week 1]: 777,013 views / 6,480 likes / 195 dislikes
  4. HRVY & Janette - Salsa [Week 4]: 601,011 views / 10,607 likes / 223 dislikes
  5. Maisie & Gorka - Cha-Cha [Week 4]: 364,392 views / 2,635 likes / 112 dislikes
  6. Max & Dianne - Street/Commercial [Week 3]: 351,406 views / 4,666 likes / 423 dislikes
  7. HRVY & Janette - Contemporary + Street/Commercial [Week 6]: 349,822 views / 5,940 likes / 138 dislikes
  8. Bill & Oti - Paso Doble [Week 3]: 344,804 views / 3,415 likes / 47 dislikes
  9. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa [Week 5]: 323,715 views / 3,008 likes / 87 dislikes
  10. Bill & Oti - Cha-Cha [Week 1]: 306,628 views / 3,023 likes / 54 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. HRVY & Janette - Jive
  2. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial
  3. HRVY & Janette - Salsa

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. Maisie & Gorka - Cha-Cha
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa
  3. Bill & Oti - Cha-Cha

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. Max & Dianne - Street/Commercial 
  2. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial
  3. HRVY & Janette - Salsa

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Bill & Oti - Paso Doble
  2. Bill & Oti - Cha-Cha
  3. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa

On 12/8/2020 at 8:11 PM, *Wallace said:

And yeah, totally agree at your comments here too. Ugh the biggest downside of a shorter series. :(   I do have a list of the styles all of the Final 5 missed out.

HRVY & Janette - Waltz, Samba, Paso Doble, Quickstep, Foxtrot and Argentine Tango

Maisie & Gorka - Waltz, Rumba, Foxtrot, Paso Doble, Argentine Tango and Charleston

The fact that we were denied the two best celeb dancers of the season dancing the Argentine Tango. :broken: 

• Sad 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:18 PM, *Amanda said:

The fact that we were denied the two best celeb dancers of the season dancing the Argentine Tango. :broken: 

Ugh so true. 😢 :broken: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About less than 2 hours for the show! (Comes on 7PM UK Time/2PM EST). Excited for it! :spaz: 

Early Week 8 rehearsals

And a pic of the cast with some of their performance show outfits.

Screenshot-20201212-171504.jpg

Not sure if these are first or second round dances. But looks like Bill’s Tango, Jamie’s Quickstep, HRVYs Charleston, Maisie’s Viennese Waltz and Ranvir’s Jive.

11 minutes ago, ungodlyhour said:

link is actually working for me! jamie & karen's salsa is first

Ahhh yay I'm glad it works for one of us. :haha: 

Ooh kinda surprised that Jamie's Salsa went first - with the namesake of "Last Dance" and it not actually being his last dance. :haha: 

Jamie & Karen - Salsa: 8/8/8 = 24

Decent scores but not sure this will be enough for him with all the other dances coming up. I read Craig was quite critical of this so the 8 is kinda surprising from him.

Really surprised Ranvir's Waltz is her first dance + up 2nd. 😮 

Ranvir & Giovanni - Waltz: 8/9/9 = 26

Lots of positive comments online regarding Ranvir’s Waltz that it was a really stunning and beautiful dance. Although of course some comments saying we know she’s good at this. And some comments of her dress being too long that you couldn’t really see her footwork. LOL leo read that Motsi was  commenting more on her hair than her dancing. :lmao:

Bill & Oti - Charleston: 8/8/9 = 25

Reading SO many mixed comments on Bill’s Charleston from it being a little flat to comments that it was really great and fun. I’m not sure what to make of it. Also read there were some timing issues and such.

Interesting how everyone is a point apart so far. Maisie up next with her Street and HRVY closes Round 1 with the Rumba.

Maisie & Gorka - Street/Commercial: 10/10/10 = 30

Reading mostly great comments on Maisie’s Street. Some negative comments from role but those are those that seemingly do not like the Street/Commercial - sooo it’s a dance that won’t appeal to everyone. But yeah I am certain she killed it regardless. And SLAYY she got a perfect score for this like I was expecting/hoping for. :spaz:

HRVY & Janette - Rumba: 7/8/8 = 23

Reading mixed comments on HRVY’s Rumba. People saying that it lacked the proper hip action needed and some saying it was beautiful and very well done. Doesn’t sound like it was one of his very best but I also wasn’t really expecting this dance to be. Sounds like the judges (Craig especially) are being critical on this one.

Wow HRVY on the bottom of the leaderboard is a definite shocker. 😮 This will either setup for a shock B2 appearance orrrrr rally up the public to vote/support him. Thinking the latter. People are upset this scored lower than Jamie's and Bill's dance. I’m hoping and sure he will come slaying with his Charleston.

Jamie & Karen - Quickstep: 8/8/8 = 24 (Total: 48)

More mixed reviews on Jamie’s QS. Some are saying it was really fun and enjoyable. Some felt it was odd/too weird and lacked QS content. Same scores as last dance.

Ranvir & Giovanni - Jive: 5/6/7 = 18 (Total: 44)

Yikes reading lots of bad comments of this Jive not going really good for Ranvir. :( Kinda not surprised as I didn’t expect the Jive to be her dance. Also reading that it’s slow and flat footed for a Jive too. Although people are loving Gio in this. :haha: Not sure why this went 2nd of her set of dances. Yikes…. didn’t expect scores that low but week….worried for Ranvir now.

Bill & Oti - Tango: 8/7/8 = 23 (Total: 48)

LOL Lots of people are hating Bill’s Tango music….. not a surprise as Metallica isn’t Strictly friendly. :haha: Not too many good comments on this either (sigh) as people were feeling this was quite stompy and not too great in his footwork. Reading comments that he  was really into and loving performance the dance though.

Ugh a tie on the leaderboard….don’t like that lol. :/ Ugh that makes me worried for HRVY and Maisie no matter how well their next dances score.

Maisie & Gorka - Viennese Waltz: 9/10/10 = 29 (Total: 59)

Reading lots of great and positive comments on Maisie with people saying this was a very gorgeous and beautiful VW. People did feel the dance went by so fast and they wanted it to last longer. :haha: Definitely seems to be by far the biggest positive reaction of all the dances tonight via online viewers.

Kindaaa not surprised Craig gave a 9 here. No celeb has ever gotten two perfect scores on a semi-final and I knew he would put a stop to that again here. :/

HRVY & Janette - Charleston: 10/10/10 = 30

Lots of great and positive comments on HRVY’s Charleston here. Lots of  compliments on his technique, swivels and overall performance. Some people are complaining about the music choice for the Charleston though. Definitely knew and was expecting this to be more of his dance.

So Maisies’ Street and HRVY’s Charleston were the two dances I predicted to get perfect 30s and they did! Yayy I’m happy for them both. :bobo:😄