SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

*Wallace

I'm surprised there wasn't a thread created earlier for Strictly 2020 or well I meant to make a thread earlier here. But I have NO idea what's going on for this upcoming series. :dead: 

I just know from things I read that this series will start later and be shorter than usual. I think i read the cast will be announced in the next few weeks? Hopefully we get to hear some official news soon. But yeah we can post all kinds of news/rumors/speculation in here!

Thanks for starting the thread.

Rumour has it that it is a 9 (maybe 10) week series but nothing confirmed yet. Probably 12 or 13 celebs, although they could still do 15 and have a larger final and some double eliminations. If we're getting less of the show, may as well have longer episodes towards the end to make up for it. Also guessing that they won't hire any celebs over 65 or anyone overweight/with health conditions.

The tabloids are predicting that Kai Widdrington from DWTSIRL is joining the lineup as a reserve pro. Glad that they've hired him but why on earth would they give either Graziano or Anton a partner over him? Johannes too for that matter, I wasn't exactly thrilled with him as pro last year (too OTT for me, Kevin 2.0). There was a rumour from a fairly credible source that Anton may be judging this year in place of Bruno who is sticking with DWTSUSA. I'd take that, I think he could be an interesting personality for the judging panel, it's lacked a bit of humour recently since Len left.

Please give Katya, Luba and Gorka good celebs and Amy, Aljaž, Janette, Giovanni and Oti the duffer celebs. Oti especially is due a celeb that isn't a hunk actor or athlete, I'd be very interested to see how she would handle an older guy given her strict teaching style (she seemed to have Danny, Graeme and Kelvin training insane numbers of hours).

If Jamie Laing is in the cast again, give him to Dianne instead (that would be a fun pairing and would rile up all the annoying fans of Joe Sugg 😆).

Am I the only person who wishes they would change the pros up eventually? With the exception of AJ, Kevin and Pasha all quitting on their own accord, it's stayed the same for years now. I'm bored with Anton, Karen, Aljaz, Janette and to a lesser extent Oti now that she's won. Not really warmed to Amy, Graziano, Nadiya or Johannes either.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Ahh yay for a new thread! 

Because of the later start, Tess I believe has said that she expects the cast to be revealed starting early next Month. I know there's been a few rumors in the tabloids so far which might be legit and I'll try and post here when I can, but it seems very quiet this year in comparison to past years. So not really sure what to expect. 😮 

These are the rumours from Digital Spy (all credit to them, I didn't write all this up!):

'Confirmed' by the Media

• Jamie Laing - 31 - Reality TV Star
  • Tim Lovejoy - 52 - Sunday Brunch Presenter
  • Tamzin Outhwaite - 49 - Actress, best known for EastEnders and New Tricks
  • Mark Feehily - 40 - Westlife Singer
  • Clara Amfo - 36 - Radio 1 Presenter

Rumoured Contestants 

Male

• Brooklyn Beckham - 21 - Amateur Photographer and Son of the Beckhams
  • Iain Stirling - Comedian and Love Island Narrator
  • Jermaine Jenas - 37 - Retired Footballer and Pundit
  • Jamie Carragher - 42 - Retired Footballer and Pundit
  • Boris Becker - 52 - Retired Tennis Player
  • Huw Edwards - 59 - BBC News Newsreader
  • Mark Lawrenson - 63 - Retired Footballer and Pundit

Female

• Matilda Ramsay - 18 - Star of CBBC's Matilda and the Ramsay Bunch
  • Lottie Tomlinson - 22 - Social Media Influencer
  • Holly H - 23 - TikTok Star
  • Lucy Fallon - 24 - Former Coronation Street Actress
  • Lady Amelia Windsor - 25 - Model and Relative of the Royal Family
  • Maya Jama - 26 - Former Radio One DJ and TV Presenter
  • Katie McGlynn - 27 - Former Coronation Street and Waterloo Road Actress
  • Chelcee Grimes - 28 - Singer and Footballer
  • Zoe Sugg - 30 - YouTuber
  • Sophie Hinchcliffe - 30 - Instagram Cleaning Influencer
  • Stacey Solomon - 30 - Loose Women Panellist and Singer
  • Jessie J - 32 - Singer
  • Michelle Ackerley - 36 - Crimewatch Roadshow and The One Show Presenter
  • Jennifer Metcalfe - 36 - Hollyoaks Actress
  • Cheryl - 37 - Singer and TV Judge
  • Steph McGovern - 38 - TV Presenter
  • Sarah Jayne Dunn - 38 - Hollyoaks Actress
  • Myleene Klass - 42 - Former Hear'Say Singer and TV Presenter
  • Jane Goldman - 50 - Screenwriter
  • Gillian Anderson - 52 - Actress
  • Kylie Minogue - 52 - Singer and Actress
  • Catherine Tate - 52 - Comedian and Actress
  • Nicki Chapman - 53 - Escape to the Country, Wanted Down Under and RHS Chelsea Flower Show Presenter
  • Jane McDonald - 57 - Singer and TV Presenter
  • Kelly Hoppen - 61 - Interior Designer and Former Dragon's Den Star
  • Sandi Toksvig - 62 - Presenter, Comedian and Writer
Edited by DWTSFan2001

Thanks for posting!

Since I last kept up with rumors, I believe Tamzin has ruled herself out, although I think the recent rumour of Holly H seems quite likely since they seem to be on the social media bandwagon recently and a TikTok star makes sense as their next move (worth noting that I did not know who this was but I've seen her doing a lot of UK press recently so... I think it lines up that her team may be getting her name out there prior to Strictly, possibly). Jamie, Tim, Holly, Mark and Clara I would maybe say stand out as the most likely so far, although even some of those may not be concrete. 

Also worth mentioning that Mark is rumored as possibly being a part of the first same-sex couple with Johannes. There's been a lot of talk about doing it this year and after Dancing on Ice did it for the first time, I would expect we may see it in some form with Strictly.

Edited by *Lily

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Thanks for posting!

Since I last kept up with rumors, I believe Tamzin has ruled herself out, although I think the recent rumour of Holly H seems quite likely since they seem to be on the social media bandwagon recently and a TikTok star makes sense as their next move (worth noting that I did not know who this was but I've seen her doing a lot of UK press recently so... I think it lines up that her team may be getting her name out there prior to Strictly, possibly). Jamie, Tim, Holly, Mark and Clara I would maybe say stand out as the most likely so far, although even some of those may not be concrete. 

Also worth mentioning that Mark is rumored as possibly being a part of the first same-sex couple with Johannes. There's been a lot of talk about doing it this year and after Dancing on Ice did it for the first time, I would expect we may see it in some form with Strictly.

I'd rather that Holly H wasn't on the show - a YouTuber at least has some degree of talent, the likes of TikTok (and Vine) are total rubbish IMO and I'm the generation it's supposed to appeal to.

Same-sex partnerships are a good idea if they choose the right people. I don't know anything about Mark but I find Johannes way too over the top and I feel that he made the partnership with Catherine last year all about him. I'd rather they chose a quieter or more experienced pro that could just focus on the dancing aspect. If they just focus on the dancing rather than it being some kind of novelty and politicising the partnership, I think would work. The Dancing on Ice pairing was a disaster because the celeb was too focused on it being groundbreaking rather than actually focusing on improving his skating while the pro was a poor choreographer (and a bit of a diva on social media which no doubt put some people off).

Clara seems like the average BBC signing, Jamie seems likely and I think Tim wanted to do it after Simon in 2017 so I wouldn't be surprised to see those 3. Fair enough signings. I would say Clara/Neil, Jamie/Dianne and Tim/Oti.

Hoping that they have a singer or two this year - last year had none. Perhaps some retired past Olympians would also be good since Tokyo got delayed.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Yayyy thank you all for posting so much info and speculation regarding this series! :wub: :hug: 

I did hear of a few of these names being rumored but I know it's all very quiet and hush hush. A part of me loves some spoilers but a part of me loves being surprised with the names. I can't wait for the cast reveals!

I am really hoping Jamie Laing gets to participate this year. And yeah I also want a pop star ringer or 2 this year too. I was really missing that last year. :haha: 

Bruno won’t be on the panel to start this season, but will appear in the Sunday episodes over video link. I don’t think there’s any confirmation here as to what his role will be yet, idk if he’ll get a say in dance-offs, or maybe he’ll just have a segment where he talks about his thoughts on the episode.

It’s also said that they plan for him to return full-time towards the end of the series.

2 hours ago, Ariel1989 said:

Johannes is back in the UK!

Good for him. Hopefully this doesn't jeopardise Kai's chances of a partner. Won't be pleased if Aljaž, Johannes, Anton and Graziano all gets partners and Kai doesn't. 

Gorka and Gio must get celebs!

Edited by DWTSFan2001

20 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Bruno won’t be on the panel to start this season, but will appear in the Sunday episodes over video link. I don’t think there’s any confirmation here as to what his role will be yet, idk if he’ll get a say in dance-offs, or maybe he’ll just have a segment where he talks about his thoughts on the episode.

It’s also said that they plan for him to return full-time towards the end of the series.

He'll probably have a pre-taped video segment with some of his thoughts. Maybe he'll join in on the commentary that the judges do in the results show (formerly known as Len's Lens).

Sounds like he'll be judging the semis and final. I hope that the scores are out of 40 somehow, if that means guest judges or Bruno judging via Zoom, so be it. I don't trust a panel of 3 judges, 2 being Motsi & Shirley, not to make a mess of the leaderboard after last year, plus the statistics would be messed up.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, Ariel1989 said:

Johannes is back in the UK!

Yayyy! 😄 

On 8/21/2020 at 8:54 PM, *Lily said:

Ah yeah I saw a headline saying that Bruno won't be a judge at the start of this series. That's to be expected.  I would assume he would come back as a judge when DWTS ends. Hmm it seems more fair for him to share his thoughts on the dances from the wee. It would be kinda weird and unfair for him to not be able to properly judge

On 8/21/2020 at 9:10 PM, DWTSFan2001 said:

Good for him. Hopefully this doesn't jeopardise Kai's chances of a partner. Won't be pleased if Aljaž, Johannes, Anton and Graziano all gets partners and Kai doesn't. 

Gorka and Gio must get celebs!

I like Kai and would like him to have a partner too - but I feel like it's more realistic that all the other male pros would get partners over him and he would be one of the spare pros for the group numbers. I'd personally like for Kai to have a partner over Anton and Graziano. But they will always give Anton a partner. :closedeyes: And it would be kinda messed up if Graz is benched 2 seasons in  row. But then Neil was for 3 so who knows.

I can't see Gio getting benched. He's had such a great track record and is very popular. But yess Gorka better get a partner this year. I'll be upset if he doesn't.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:16 PM, DWTSFan2001 said:

He'll probably have a pre-taped video segment with some of his thoughts. Maybe he'll join in on the commentary that the judges do in the results show (formerly known as Len's Lens).

Sounds like he'll be judging the semis and final. I hope that the scores are out of 40 somehow, if that means guest judges or Bruno judging via Zoom, so be it. I don't trust a panel of 3 judges, 2 being Motsi & Shirley, not to make a mess of the leaderboard after last year, plus the statistics would be messed up.

I actually like the idea of Bruno judging via Zoom and wish there was a way he could do that. Craig got to do so on the last week of DWTS Australia earlier this year where he was in the UK.

I think i saw an article that they plan on replacing Bruno so it should be 4 judges/scores out of 40s regardless.

I feel like names for this Strictly series should start popping out…..as reveals should be happening soon. I found this article of comedian Bill Bailey and actress Caroline Quentin.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8675547/Strictly-SIGN-comedian-Bill-Bailey-55-actress-Caroline-Quentin-60-upcoming-series.html

He’s 55 and She’s 60…. so two contestants that should fill the older contestants role.

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

I feel like names for this Strictly series should start popping out…..as reveals should be happening soon. I found this article of comedian Bill Bailey and actress Caroline Quentin.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8675547/Strictly-SIGN-comedian-Bill-Bailey-55-actress-Caroline-Quentin-60-upcoming-series.html

He’s 55 and She’s 60…. so two contestants that should fill the older contestants role.

Never heard of them but people on Digital Spy seem excited so I guess they are solid signings. Anyone is better than half of the 2019 cast if we're being real. And it's good that they can still have some older contestants to mix things up.

Edited by DWTSFan2001

Strong signings to begin! I can see Bill being the 'joke contestant' of the season, who maybe lasts a little longer than we'd hope :giggle:Caroline is a nice addition too, I'm not too sure how I see her doing but look forward to seeing.

Yeah I don’t know either of them and not sure if they can provide great dancing but they seem like good names/casting from what I’ve seen so that’s fine with me. :haha: Can’t wit for more speculated names to come about.

Ooh Max was someone who was on my Strictly wish list so I’m excited for his potential casting. 😄 He was the one I remember/knew the most when The Wanted were popular so I had him in mind of hopefully doing the show sometime after Jay. 

He should be good but yeah has a lot to live up to after Jay.  I see people mentioning Mollie & Lee not living up to Frankie & Simon.... so hopefully Max can fare better as a follow-up. I'm just happy that there is a singer in the mix. :haha: 

I hope Max can dance as it's a bit of a wasted booking if they book a boybander that turns out to be a bit rubbish (Nicky Byrne, Lee Ryan). I think Jay was the most experienced of The Wanted and they've already had him. I love the ringers so hopefully there will be a few.

Hopefully a reveal tomorrow...

• Like 1

Definitely feels like we should be getting some names soon. Especially with the names usually coming in August, but with the delay of the season it makes sense to start early September. Lines up with some of the dates we’ve heard too!

Exciting week if we start hearing Strictly names and also get the DWTS cast. 😄 

• Like 1