SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

*Wallace

Thank goodness Maisie avoided the dance-off this week. ❤️ I’ll always worry about her safety after those back-to-back appearances in the bottom.

Sad for Clara & Aljaz. :( That Charleston is a stand-out of the season and I felt she had a lot of potential. Ugh. 

Some really sweet messages Clara and Aljaz posted for/towards each other on their time on the show (Clara’s post was especially great to read through). ❤️ 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIMCSw1jEBb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIMAvCfsfgo/

I also forgot to mention how I’m bummed/sad that Aljaz and Janette couldn’t make the final together as i was hopeful this would be the year they could do so. :( :broken: Janette posted a few sweet encouraging messages of their run (and on last night’s dance) and Aljaz stated he’ll be supporting HRVY & Janette (which is obvious). ❤️ 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Thank goodness Maisie avoided the dance-off this week. ❤️ I’ll always worry about her safety after those back-to-back appearances in the bottom.

Oooh ahh yeah same. I'll definitely always greatly appreciate Maisie's safety each week. Fingers crossed she can be completely safe next week. 

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

Excited to see Clara’s Jive the second time but so sad to see her go! :(

A Bill, HRVY, Maisie, Ranvir final is the outcome I’m really hoping for now.

That's the same Final 4 I'm rooting for too. I could live with Jamie making it over Bill or Ranvir but don't really see that happening, and rather have the mentioned four in there.

My personal ranking of the Final 6:

1. Maisie & Gorka 
  2. HRVY & Janette
  3. Ranvir & Giovanni 
  4. Bill & Oti 
  5. Jamie & Karen 
  6. JJ & Amy

Love 1-2 and they are my ultimate faves. Really like 3-5. 6 is growing on me. This season is a lot easier for me to rank vs. DWTS. :lmao:

Week 7 Musical Night songs + styles revealed!

Bill and Oti: Argentine Tango to Phantom of the Opera from Phantom of the Opera

HRVY and Janette: American Smooth to One (Singular Sensation) from A Chorus Line

Jamie and Karen: Jive to Everybody's Talking About Jamie from Everybody's Talking About Jamie

JJ and Amy: Charleston to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Maisie and Gorka: Jive to Little Shop of Horrors from Little Shop of Horrors

Ranvir and Giovanni: Viennese Waltz to She Used To Be Mine from Waitress

Link: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIQWi5Wh9DE/

Thoughts: 

- Bill with the AT is a very challenging dance and not sure how he will handle the style. But Oti is an amazing teacher & choreographer so I also wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls off great dance. Davood & Nadiya danced to this a few years ago so I wonder how this will compare. 

- HRVY has a song I know I have heard but i don’t really know or remember it as well as these other songs I know. I heard great things about the song so this should be another great dance for him. 

- I don’t even know Jamie’s song/musical but lmaoo that’s such a perfect song title for him. :lmao: With this being a Jive, this should be fun and suit his personality. But yikes, he’s up against Maisie in the same style so that’s a concern for him.

- JJ has a fun song and nice to see a different side of him and a speciality dance too. I remember and loved Patrick & Anya’s version in Series 11, so this will be tough to follow up…. and well i don’t think it will match that dance. But if JJ does reasonably well with a Charleston I can seen him making it through.

- Maisie has a fun dance and yayy she should be great with a Jive. Maybe not my ideal song choice but this should be cute, fun and i think another dance she can nail.

- Ranvir has a gorgeous and emotional song. We all know she’s great at ballroom so this should be no different. But if she captures and sells the emotion of the song into the dance, then this could be a standout.

Also funny and interesting how the ladies both dance to songs Jana Kramer dance to on DWTS23. :haha:

• Like 1

Time for another weekly Youtube stats post!

SCD Series 18, Week 6 - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Wednesday 12/2 @ 10:10 PM)

1. HRVY & Janette - Contemporary + Street/Commercial: 275,523 views / 5,412 likes / 105 dislikes
  2. Bill & Oti - Jive: 216,454 views / 2,129 likes / 46 dislikes
  3. Maisie & Gorka - Quickstep: 175,891 views / 2,872 likes / 59 dislikes
  4. Clara & Aljaž - Jive: 68,538 views / 645 likes / 24 dislikes
  5. Jamie & Karen - Tango: 67,215 views / 755 likes / 22 dislikes
  6. Ranvir & Giovanni - American Smooth: 65,757 views / 774 likes / 24 dislikes
  7. JJ & Amy - Viennese Waltz: 38,948 views / 537 likes / 23 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. HRVY & Janette - Contemporary + Street/Commercial
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Quickstep
  3. Bill & Oti - Jive:

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. JJ & Amy - Viennese Waltz
  2. Clara & Aljaž - Jive
  3. Jamie & Karen - Tango

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. HRVY & Janette - Contemporary + Street/Commercial
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Quickstep
  3. Bill & Oti - Jive

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Jamie & Karen - Tango
  2. JJ & Amy - Viennese Waltz 
  3. Clara & Aljaž - Samba / Ranvir & Giovanni - American Smooth

JJ & Amy - Charleston:6/7/7 = 20

Reading mixed reviews on JJ’s Charleston. Some saying this was his most fun/entertaining dance and some reviews saying this was a really slow and low on energy Charleston. So hmmm. I wonder what the judges thought. And wow kinda surprised they scored him so low. 😮 But ballroom suits him better so figured this style would be a struggle for JJ. Lots of comments also saying these were fair scores too.

Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz: 9/9/9 = 27

Kinda surprised they put Ranvir’s VW 2nd as I was expecting it moreso 3rd or 4th but not much of a difference. Anywho reading lots and mostly positive reviews on this dance with people saying it’s a beautiful and emotional dance. Some comments said it felt like some of her other ballroom dances. Great scores - read Craig was a bit critical, as always.

Maisie & Gorka up next.

Maisie & Gorka - Jive: 9/10/9 = 28

Lots of great positive comments I’m reading on Maisie’s Jive - with people saying she had great energy and lots of fun with it. Did read some comments on the dance lacking a bit of Jive content but was still great. Ooh I read that Craig didn’t have a critique and lots of people were expecting a 30 from the judges comments so hmmm. Kinda surprised with Motsi not giving a 10 (but she did have a critique on something at least)…. but I can’t properly judge. :dead:

Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango: 8/8/8 = 24

LOL I’m reading lots of comments here on Oti and how amazing she is on this…but not seeing much on Bill. :dead: But ok read some comments on Bill and they mostly aren’t good - some saying its not Bill’s dance and Oti did most of the work (with Bill mostly standing there?). But a few people liked Bill on this. This seems like the dance that will be a test to how strong his fanbase is. And ooo seems like the judges liked it more than the fans here.

HRVY on 5th, meaning that Jamie closes the show. Yeah def fair for Jamie as he hasn’t closed the show.

HRVY & Janette - American Smooth: 9/10/10 = 29

Lots of great and positive comments on HRVY’s AS. Lots of positives of his frame and how he dance and performed, so seems like another strong dance from him. People did spot that he slipped a bit at the start - but not sure how noticeable that was. Although some complaints were of finding their matching outfits distracting, lol. Omgg Motsi did call this “the dance of the decade.”

Jamie & Karen - Jive: 8/8/8 = 24

Lots of comments saying Jamie delivered a fun and entertaining Jive but seemed a bit heavy footed and messy? Reading this is another dance  where they have matching outfits and look the same. Some felt he was more ~prancing around. :haha: There was a lot of usage of props with the desk and stuff. But his performing did sell the dance. Also people saying Maisie’s Jive was stronger which isn’t too surprising.

Judges scores:

HRVY & Janette - 29 (6)

Maisie & Gorka - 28 (5)

Ranvir & Giovanni - 27 (4)

Bill & Oti - 24 (3)

Jamie & Karen - 24 (3)

JJ & Amy - 20 (2)

Ugh a tie on the leaderboard already makes me super worried for Maisie again. :shiver: Really hoping she can avoid the DO regardless once again. I do think Jamie will likely be down there again - he was in a tie and landed down there last week so can see that happening again. Also thinking JJ could be in danger, and if he B2s then he’d surely go this week. If he can avoid the DO then his fanbase is really powerful. I think Bill still has a strong fanbase to keep him out of danger. And I feel Ranvir should/will likely eb safe, and sure should HRVY.

• Like 1

review!

JJ & Amy: i wanted to like this but it was just so boring for a charleston. he did all the steps (besides some that he missed at the very end) and he performed better but there simply wasn't enough energy for a charleston. he didn't really have the proper swivel either when they did the back steps. 21.

Ranvir & Giovanni: gorgeous! honestly one of my favorite of her ballroom dances and probably her best performance in terms of emotional quality. the very first few steps felt a bit off balance and do i wish giovanni choreographed in a little more travel and a little less spinning. nevertheless it was great! 26.

Maisie & Gorka: omg this was so much fun! maisie has really come into her own with performance quality which i really appreciate. her technique was clean precise in a lot of parts which i loved, but there were definitely moments where her arm and hand placements got sloppy and she didn't finish every line. still amazing! 28.

Bill & Oti: where's the bill that did that great street dance? there was nothing that he objectively did bad, but it just felt too low on content for him and he didn't attack the dance the way that ATs are meant to be attacked. the few times he did complex steps they looked great though! and oti looked amazing as always. 22.

HRVY & Janette: WOW i really loved this! every time i think a dance is flawless i have to go back and watch it again to make sure i didn't miss anything and i did see the very small stumble when he got off the small set of steps. that side this dance was amazing and up there as one of my favorites this whole season. his frame was great, his musicality was impeccable, the sync was great, and that ending lift was insane. loved it! 29.

Jamie & Karen: super super fun! loved the choreography with the benches though i do feel there was a little bit too much of it. i loved jamie's energy and it made his kicks and flicks look really good but i think it also caused him to fall out of sync with karen from time to time. still enjoyed it a lot and there was a lot of good jive in there. 23.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ungodlyhour said:

Hide contents

spoilers are saying jj/jamie bottom 2 with jj going! at long last

Thought:

Ooh wow I saw that this was the B2 but didn't see an elimination being spoiled. A result I can rest easy on and be fine with.

4 hours ago, rpryor03 said:

Y'all, get ready for tomorrow's results show performers. It's going to be epic.

Ooh who's performing? Wasn't able to watch the show to find out. :( (Though hoping I can find the episode somewhere).

38 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ooh who's performing? Wasn't able to watch the show to find out. :( (Though hoping I can find the episode somewhere).

The West End musical & Juliet. It's a jukebox musical based on the music of Max Martin (i.e. Backstreet, Celine, NSYNC, P!nk, Ariana Grande, etc) and a reimagining of Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet.

• Like 1

Kinda surprising myself with this but I think I'm most rooting for Ranvir/Giovanni now. 😮 I liked her from before the show but she's really taken me by surprise by how well she has done. I've really enjoyed seeing her journey and her confidence grow, plus her partnership with Giovanni. However, I think to fully root for these two at the end I'm hoping to see her come into her own with a faster/Latin dance. She struggled with this in the Cha-Cha a few weeks ago and she's a gorgeous ballroom dancer, but I'd hope to see her make good improvements in her Latin too.

Maisie is brilliant and definitely rooting for her too still, last night was an excellent Jive from her. HRVY is also still doing great and I've been enjoying Janette's choreo for him, which was something I was initially nervous about.

I feel like Bill has struggled a little these past couple weeks and is still good but has struggled to top his Street performance. That being said, I think he'll be fine and I would not at all be surprised to see him repeat that in the finale which I think could seal the deal for him.

It was good to see an upbeat dance from JJ but I think it showed that he is weaker at this point and the right person to go. Jamie had a fun performance and I'm impressed by how he's really had an underdog run to the top 5 which wouldn't be expected from his first couple of weeks.

Top 6 rankings:
1. Ranvir & Giovanni

2. Maisie & Gorka

3. Bill & Oti

4. HRVY & Janette

5. Jamie & Karen

6. JJ & Amy

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

Yayy I got to watching the show now so ready to post my thoughts! 😄 Really fun opening group routine (from the Priscilla musical). Johannes definitely shone and had a lot of fun/living his best life there - and well done to Giovanni & Gorka dressing up in drag with Jo as well. Loved the “Finally” bit as it gave me flashbacks to Alexandra’s Salsa.

JJ & Amy - Charleston: I thought JJ gave a good effort with this Charleston. It was overall a mixed bag for me but was definitely a challenge for him, so I applaud him for that. I thought JJ had some fun moments where he got into character and showed some animated facial features needed (I mean yeah he could have gone even further/more animated but that’s not JJ). He had some decent swivel footwork in there. But then there were some parts that were slow and dragged on a bit and seemed a bit too polite. So some parts were better than other parts. It was a bit too stop-and-go and lacking fluid continuous dancing throughout. But it was nice to see this side of him…. and his best non-ballrom dance.

Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz: Wow its great how the Waitress musical with its storyline (of a woman self-rediscovering herself from insecurities) and that does suit Ranvir with what she’s gone through (via the VT).  This was a really beautiful Viennese Waltz and Ranvir danced and performed this really well. She is  really improving each week in connecting to the character/theme of the dance, and she sold the emotion so well here. Her ballroom dancing has always been really good and she gets better each time she does more ballroom. She had a great frame, beautiful footwork and there were lovely spinning and rotations. I know theres criticism of most of her dances looking the same, but this was her best yet. And hopefully she shows different sides of her (should she make it next week which she totally should).

Maisie & Gorka - Jive: This was a really cute and fun Jive from Maisie. She’s had a lot of fun fast dances but this was such a different type of dance from her with the character she portrayed here. She was at her most animated in a silly cutesy OTT way and she sold it well. Her dancing was great as always as she had kicks & flicks, high energy and great partnering work. She was clean and precise in her movements and made it look effortless. OMG I’m not sure if anyone sees/saw this but from watching this dance and  Maisie in that wig, she kinda reminded me of Joanne Clifton at times. :haha:  This is actually a hard theme/song for me to really love and get into but I did really enjoy this. Aww she was adorable with how emotional (and out of breath) she got with wanting to please Gorka here.

Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango: Ooh this was definitely a challenging style and theme for Bill and something totally out of comfort zone. I thought Bill did his best with what he was given. I do wish he was given more content to dance as it seemed he was moreso showcasing Oti in the dance. He did showcase her well but felt he didn’t have much shinning moments. I also felt there wasn’t that sensual/passionate chemistry needed for the dance. He did perform in an intense manner and was true to the Phantom of the Opera theme/character, so I’ll say it worked within the musical. There did seem to be a few technical errors with footwork too. I do worry/fear that he may have peaked or plateaud  I haven’t been enjoying or as surprised by his few recent dances like I was with his Week 2-4 dances. :(  I did find it hilarious how when Craig gave an 8 there was a very low amount of applause but then a great/loud applause to Shirley’s and Motsi’s 8s.

HRVY & Janette - American Smooth: This was a big great showstopping song and HRVY definitely had a big task to live up to and bring here, which I felt he certainly did here.  This dance had that classic theatrical feel to it. This was a dance made for Musicals Night! I thought HRVY did an excellent job on this dance. Yea there was a tiny little slip up coming off from the small stairs but it didn’t distract from the dance. I thought it had a nice slower/calm start and then the Foxtrot in hold content was really smooth and elegant - as he had a great frame and smooth gliding footwork. HRVY did really well there but elevated the dance even more where he was out of hold and had great sync dancing with Janette. He provided great musicality as well. Loved their side by side dancing and then wow HRVY did an impressive job with those lifts in there. Those last set of lifts sequence was sooo amazing and epic! :omg: A real showstopper of a dance. :yes: And aww a cute full circle moment for Janette doing A Chorus Line as her first musical work at 13 and now doing it on Strictly with HRVY!

Jamie & Karen - Jive: Jamie got the only musical  I never heard of so it was good getting to learn about this musical with them talking to Jamie Campbell who the musical is about… and omg he’s a platinum blonde too. This is unreal. :dead: Okay this is kind of another Jamie dance where his technical shortcomings was kinda noticeable here - he could have better and sharper Jive technique in his footwork, but I think he’s such a fun and exciting performer to watch. There’s no denying these fun upbeat dances suits him so well. There did seem to be a lot of desk-orgraphy in the dance and it seemed like for a moment “when will they start Jiving?” :lmao: Ooh and then there were parts where they were dancing with their backs towards the camera, I literally  could not tell them apart - and I was often wrong on who I thought Jamie was and Karen was. So I had to rewatch those parts to get it right. :dead: But a really fun dance.

Rankings:

1. HRVY & Janette - American Smooth
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Jive
  3. Ranvir & Giovanni - Viennese Waltz
  4. Jamie & Karen - Jive
  5. Bill & Oti - Argentine Tango
  6. JJ & Amy - Charleston

15 hours ago, rpryor03 said:

The West End musical & Juliet. It's a jukebox musical based on the music of Max Martin (i.e. Backstreet, Celine, NSYNC, P!nk, Ariana Grande, etc) and a reimagining of Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet.

Oooh wow I never heard of this Max Martin inspired musical before. 😮 Wow that sounds interesting but looking forward to this. :yes: 

Results show just finished officially airing. 

Jamie & Karen and JJ & Amy were in the Bottom 2.

Craig saved Jamie. Motsi saved JJ. Down to Shirley once again, who saved Jamie. 

LOL Jamie better be thanking Shirley like whoa saving him two weeks in a row from almost going. :haha: Never pictured Jamie making it this far but happy for him  and he’s grown on me throughout the season - but I’ll be fine with him going next week. 

JJ did a really good job considering his limitations and how he wasn’t able to do a lot of certain things. He had a great partnership  with Amy, and  Amy did a wonderful job in teaching JJ to dance and producing some very good ballroom dances. It was JJ’s time to go but they should certainly feel proud of what they accomplished. :yes: I also think two dances would have probably been too much for him as well.

Week 8 dance spoilers (so far)

HRVY has the Rumba.

Hmmm very odd style for him - and kinda bummed he’s missed out and won’t do the other Latin styles over it. Should still be good - but feel Samba/Charleston would have suited him better. I was kinda hoping for Ranvir to get that but then again she needs a faster Latin style.

Bill will have a Tango to a Metallica song. Very interesting Bill is doing two types of Tangos back to back (but no Waltzes).