Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

15. RAY ELWOOD - BUFFALO SOLDIERS (2001)

Film Synopsis: Set on an American Army base in 1989, as the Berlin Wall is about to fall, "Buffalo Soldiers" takes a satiric look as these men steal, drink, fight, and make, take, and sell drugs. Elwood (Joaquin Phoenix) is the brains behind the operation, easily duping his superior (Ed Harris) and sleeping with his wife. But with the arrival of the new sergeant (Scott Glenn), everything changes. The sergeant cracks down; Elwood retaliates by dating his daughter and attempting a big weapons-for-drugs deal.

ALEX: 13 - From this trailer, I cannot figure out the tone of this movie at all.

ANDY: 13

CHRIS: 15

14. JOAQUIN PHOENIX  - I'M STILL HERE (2010)

Film Synopsis: Director Casey Affleck follows Joaquin Phoenix as he carries out a plan to retire from acting and concentrate on a new career as a hip-hop musician in this mockumentary.

CHRIS: 8

ALEX: 15 - I've heard about this and I've always assumed I would hate it. Something about the entire premise just rubs me the wrong way, I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's amazing idk. I'm just not feeling it.

ANDY: 15

13. JIMMY EMMETT - TO DIE FOR (1995)

Film Synopsis: Suzanne Stone (Nicole Kidman) is a weather reporter at her small-town cable station, but she dreams of being a big-time news anchor. However, she feels that her middle-class husband (Matt Dillon) is holding her back, so she decides to have him murdered. For this, she enlists Jimmy (Joaquin Phoenix), a high school boy who is enamored with her. The plan doesn't work exactly as she intended, though, and her husband's family starts to suspect that she was involved in his death.

ANDY: 11

CHRIS: 13

ALEX: 14 - Omg not Joaquin and Nicole Kidman 😮 :dead:. The scandal! I've never seen it though.

12. JOHN CALLAHAN - DON'T WORRY, HE WON'T GET FAR ON FOOT (2018)

Film Synopsis: After nearly dying in a car accident, the last thing Oregon slacker John Callahan (Joaquin Phoenix) intends to do is give up alcohol. Encouraged by his girlfriend and a charismatic sponsor, Callahan reluctantly enters a treatment program and discovers that he has a knack for drawing. The budding artist soon finds himself with a new lease on life when his edgy and irreverent newspaper cartoons gain a national and devoted following.

CHRIS: 10

ALEX: 12 - I've never seen it, but I should because I wanna see more comedies with Joaquin.

ANDY: 14

11. GARRY BUCKMAN - PARENTHOOD (1989)

Film Synopsis: Perfectionist Gil Buckman (Steve Martin) struggles with the deficiencies of his children, thinking they reflect poorly on his parenting -- and Gil's siblings only add to the stress of his life. One of his sisters (Dianne Wiest) faces difficulty when her teenage daughter (Martha Plimpton) becomes pregnant. Another (Harley Jane Kozak) clashes with her husband (Rick Moranis) when she asks for more children. Gil's immature brother (Tom Hulce) turns up as well, with a young son he can barely handle. Joaquin Phoenix plays the pubescent son of Dianne Wiest's character Helen.

ALEX: 6 - Omg I just watched a clip! He's so young! Great acting from him from such a young age.

ANDY: 12

CHRIS: 14

10. CHARLIE SISTERS - THE SISTERS BROTHERS (2018)

Film Synopsis: It's 1851, and Charlie and Eli Sisters are both brothers and assassins, boys grown to men in a savage and hostile world. The Sisters brothers find themselves on a journey through the Northwest, bringing them to the mountains of Oregon, a dangerous brothel in the small town of Mayfield, and eventually, the gold rush land of California -- an adventure that tests the deadly family ties that bind.

ALEX: 10 - It looked fine, but I didn't have much interest in seeing it.

ANDY: 10

CHRIS: 11

9. LARRY "DOC" SPORTELLO  - INHERENT VICE (2014)

Film Synopsis: In a California beach community, private detective Larry "Doc" Sportello (Joaquin Phoenix) tends to work his cases through a smoky haze of marijuana. One day, Shasta, a former lover, arrives out of the blue to plead for Doc's help; it seems that Shasta's current beau, rich real-estate tycoon Mickey Wolfmann, has a wife who may be plotting to commit him to a mental hospital. When Mickey and Shasta both disappear, Doc navigates a psychedelic world of surfers, stoners and cops to solve the case.

ANDY: 7

ALEX: 11 - The movie's pretentious as f*ck. Joaquin's fine I guess.

CHRIS: 12

8. JACK DAGLISH - HOTEL RWANDA (2004)

Film Synopsis: Paul Rusesabagina (Don Cheadle), a Hutu, manages the Hôtel des Mille Collines and lives a happy life with his Tutsi wife (Sophie Okonedo) and their three children. But when Hutu military forces initiate a campaign of ethnic cleansing against the Tutsi minority, Paul is compelled to allow refugees to take shelter in his hotel. As the U.N. pulls out, Paul must struggle alone to protect the Tutsi refugees in the face of the escalating violence later known as the Rwandan genocide. Joaquin Phoenix plays a news cameraman.

CHRIS: 7

ANDY: 8

ALEX: 9 - I saw this movie ages ago and don't remember it that well. I remember Don Cheadle's great though!

7. BRUNO WEISS - THE IMMIGRANT (2013)

Film Synopsis: After her sister is quarantined at Ellis Island, a Polish nurse (Marion Cotillard) is forced into prostitution by a theater manager (Joaquin Phoenix) who moonlights as a pimp.

CHRIS: 5

ALEX: 7 -  I advanced it because I heard it's good, but I've never actually seen it :dead:.

ANDY: 9

6. JOE - YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE (2017)

Film Synopsis: A traumatized mercenary named Joe (Phoenix) is hired by a politician to find and rescue his daughter who has been kidnapped by a human trafficking network, which Joe is instructed to destroy by any violent means.

ALEX: 5 - I don't think Joaquin's breaking any ground with this performance, but it's still great!

ANDY: 6

CHRIS: 6

5. COMMODUS - GLADIATOR (2000)

Film Synopsis: Set in Roman times, the story of a once-powerful general forced to become a common gladiator. The emperor's son is enraged when he is passed over as heir in favour of his father's favourite general. He kills his father and arranges the murder of the general's family, and the general is sold into slavery to be trained as a gladiator - but his subsequent popularity in the arena threatens the throne. Joaquin Phoenix plays the amoral, power-hungry, embittered son of Marcus Aurelius. He murders his father when he learns that Maximus will hold the emperor's powers in trust until a new republic can be formed. Joaquin Phoenix was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars and Golden Globes for this role.

ALEX: 2 - The first Joaquin movie I've seen! I wanna see him as the villain more often. I don't love this movie, but I love him here.

ANDY: 5

CHRIS: 9

4. ARTHUR FLECK / JOKER  - JOKER (2019)

Film Synopsis: Forever alone in a crowd, failed comedian Arthur Fleck seeks connection as he walks the streets of Gotham City. Arthur wears two masks -- the one he paints for his day job as a clown, and the guise he projects in a futile attempt to feel like he's part of the world around him. Isolated, bullied and disregarded by society, Fleck begins a slow descent into madness as he transforms into the criminal mastermind known as the Joker. Joaquin Phoenix won the Oscar for Best Actor for this role.

ANDY: 3

CHRIS: 4

ALEX: 8 - Throwing it smack dab in the middle. Yes Joaquin's great in it, no the movie's not that great, and no he's not nearly as good as Heath Ledger. Imma still pretend he won the Oscar for The Master.

3. THEODORE TWOMBLY - HER (2013)

Film Synopsis: A sensitive and soulful man earns a living by writing personal letters for other people. Left heartbroken after his marriage ends, Theodore (Joaquin Phoenix) becomes fascinated with a new operating system which reportedly develops into an intuitive and unique entity in its own right. He starts the program and meets "Samantha" (Scarlett Johansson), whose bright voice reveals a sensitive, playful personality. Though "friends" initially, the relationship soon deepens into love. Joaquin Phoenix was nominated for Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes for this role.

ALEX: 3 - Such a lovely and heartbreaking performance from Joaquin. Really shows off his vulnerability and range.

CHRIS: 3

ANDY: 4

2. JOHNNY CASH - WALK THE LINE (2005)

Film Synopsis: The rise of country music legend Johnny Cash (Joaquin Phoenix) begins with his days as a boy growing up on the family farm, where he struggles under the scorn of his father (Robert Patrick). As the years pass, Cash ends up in Memphis, Tenn., with his wife, Vivian (Ginnifer Goodwin), and breaks into the music scene after finding his trademark sound. While on tour, Cash meets the love of his life, singer June Carter (Reese Witherspoon), but Cash's volatile lifestyle threatens to keep them apart. Joaquin Phoenix was nominated for the Golden Globe for Best Actor for this role, and he received an Oscar nomination for Best Actor for this role too.

ANDY: 1

CHRIS: 1

ALEX: 4 - While this is totally Reese Witherspoon's movie in my mind, he's still great!

1. FREDDIE QUELL - THE MASTER (2012)

Film Synopsis: Freddie Quell (Joaquin Phoenix) is a troubled, boozy drifter struggling with the trauma of World War II and whatever inner demons ruled his life before that. On a fateful night in 1950, Freddie boards a passing boat and meets Lancaster Dodd (Philip Seymour Hoffman), the charismatic leader of a religious movement called the Cause. Freddie tries hard to adhere to Dodd's weird teachings and forms a close bond with his mentor, even as other members of Dodd's inner circle see him as a threat. Joaquin Phoenix received Best Actor nominations at the Oscars and Golden Globes for this role.

ALEX: 1 - One of the best performances in the history of cinema.

CHRIS: 2

ANDY: 2

Edited by Steven_