Off Topic

buttons66

They cancelled the bowl game that had been scheduled for today - between NCSU and UCLA.  Because of COVID-19 issues, UCLA could not field enough players.  The game was to be played in San Diego..  They cancelled 5 hours before kick-off evidently.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

They cancelled the bowl game that had been scheduled for today - between NCSU and UCLA.  Because of COVID-19 issues, UCLA could not field enough players.  The game was to be played in San Diego..  They cancelled 5 hours before kick-off evidently.

All the expenses incurred, many already traveled to be there, sponsors, ticket refunds, etc.  What a mess.  There was another team that had that problem, but gave a couple of days notice.

3 hours ago, sinycalone said:

State's team had flown out before Christmas for practice....staying a hotel.  So, the team, coaches, crew, etc. gave up their holiday -- to find out they are turning around to go home.

3 hours ago, sinycalone said:

The other drop out for Covid was Texas A & m.  They are looking for an alternate to play Wake-Forest in the Gator Bowl. 

Edited by tfortexas

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, Lizziemat said:

There is some speculation on another forum that Lauren Alaina may have been dropped or parted ways with UMG as she is no longer on their artist's page.  I have seen no press release or statement to confirm.

While there's no press release, IMO it's already happened & just unconfirmed. UMG's roster no longer has her on their website. The same thing has happened to other artists on label websites when they're no longer on the label (including Scotty). UMG also unfollowed her on social media. In the past month, she's been busy on a reality show on CBS, touring, releasing unreleased music on her social media accounts, etc. Before the label's social media accounts would promote her consistently with what she was doing or at least RT her. That's not been happening which would be odd if she's still part of the roster.

IMO it's a good thing for Lauren to leave UMG. I think her career at times have been mismanaged by the label. I feel like another label might be the thing to help her at radio. Also, it would be a good thing to stop being managed by 19 & Idol.

Edited by ptebwwong

UMG spent a fortune on LA...she was promoted a lot more than Mickey Guyton ever was....until recently.  Maybe they misspent some of that money...but she was the recipient of not just huge amounts of $$, but they got her reality show slots, a couple of movies, etc.  

If anyone had a right to complain about their treatment from UMG....it was Mickey Guyton.  It could be, since UMG is now really boosting Mickey's career, they felt they could not afford to keep supporting two females at Mercury.

1 hour ago, sinycalone said:

UMG spent a fortune on LA...she was promoted a lot more than Mickey Guyton ever was....until recently.  Maybe they misspent some of that money...but she was the recipient of not just huge amounts of $$, but they got her reality show slots, a couple of movies, etc.  

If anyone had a right to complain about their treatment from UMG....it was Mickey Guyton.  It could be, since UMG is now really boosting Mickey's career, they felt they could not afford to keep supporting two females at Mercury.

When I say she's been mismanaged, I am talking primarily at radio especially radio single choices. I know the label has promoted her well. IMO the label many times has make the wrong single choice & better, radio friendlier songs were left as album cuts.

Mickey should be a bigger name. Unfortunately, despite her being on a lot of high profile performances/tv spots it does not seem to be translating to much more sales & streams of her music. If that keeps happening, the money spent on her will not give the label a reason to keep her either. BTW, Mickey is on Capitol Nashville (not Mercury). That's the UMG imprint with A-listers such as Carrie, Luke Bryan, Keith, etc.

Actually, I think Priscilla Block is the Mercury female act that could be the supporting female that benefits. She's had a good start on country radio, good sales/streams, etc. Also, this is without the benefit of much tv spots and high profile performances.

I think Mickey's radio success will happen....but will UMG be patient,  who knows?  She certainly has the voice to sing just about anything.  I agree about Priscilla Block...she's had some real success with not much in the way of tv, etc.  Plus, she could be promoted as Ashley McBryde was by Atlantic.

2 hours ago, ptebwwong said:

While there's no press release, IMO it's already happened & just unconfirmed. UMG's roster no longer has her on their website. The same thing has happened to other artists on label websites when they're no longer on the label (including Scotty). UMG also unfollowed her on social media. In the past month, she's been busy on a reality show on CBS, touring, releasing unreleased music on her social media accounts, etc. Before the label's social media accounts would promote her consistently with what she was doing or at least RT her. That's not been happening which would be odd if she's still part of the roster.

IMO it's a good thing for Lauren to leave UMG. I think her career at times have been mismanaged by the label. I feel like another label might be the thing to help her at radio. Also, it would be a good thing to stop being managed by 19 & Idol.

She definitely needs to get rid of the management, but that a tangled web, as we know.  It may take lawyers who cost.  Here's hoping she finds a new label & doesn't have to wait 1 1/2 years as Scotty did.  (and gets rid of 19).   Lauren has a tremendous voice, but the songs she has been performing at recent radio events do nothing for her.  She need some guidance from a good manager. 

Edited by tfortexas

LA may have trouble finding a new label...unless she is completely free of ties to UMG/19/AI.  If any or all of those entities own any of the rights to her music....like you said, Sherry..it might take some sharp attorneys to free her.