Joanna Serenko Fan Thread

TeamAudra

Public playlists. I wasn’t going to post this, but I don’t care at this point. These playlists came up on a simple Google search.

Even though there are a couple songs that would probably be OK, the “Lives Options” playlist makes me less optimistic for her chances. Most of those songs are not going to appeal to this audience. I don’t even like most of them, tbh. BTW, there’s a playlist from several months ago (around the time when she would have been preparing for her blind) called “Options.”  I’m not excited about that one either. Hopefully, she picked one of the couple decent songs off that list for her blind.  

Angel From Montgomery (her KO song) appeared on the earlier “Options” list and one in January. 

Pending her actual song choices, there’s a decent chance I won’t enjoy her run much, given her taste in music. Hopefully, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. In some cases, they’re good songs, but not good for the show. Hopefully, someone with her best interests at heart helps her choose, because I don’t think she has much insight into what works on the show. 

If she reads this thread, I suppose she’ll probably change these from public to private. 

https://open.spotify.com/user/1225783792?si=Qi-U4rkIT7OHJgSa3gCjSQ

Edited by TeamAudra

^She's taking a soul route then. 

Based on the first 'options' list and the fact that the show usually uses the same old songs, she most likely sang either "Unaware" or "Jolene". 

We also know that she only got two chairs, so her audition song probably was "Unaware" lol. 

Edited by echoap

3 hours ago, echoap said:

^She's taking a soul route then. 

Based on the first 'options' list and the fact that the show usually uses the same old songs, she most likely sang either "Unaware" or "Jolene". 

We also know that she only got two chairs, so her audition song probably was "Unaware" lol. 

Early on, I thought she was the most talented vocalist in the cast, based on what I heard in her dozens of covers and live videos, and I still stand by that. However, the path she appears to be intent on taking won’t allow her to stand out from the 100s of soul/R&B artists before her, who in some cases, were better at that style than her, not to mention that genre isn’t very popular with the audience. 

In a way, she reminds me of Lauren Duski. Lauren also had a lot of vocal talent (Range) that she was reluctant to use on the show for some reason. Blake tried to get her to break out of that, and made some progress, but we still didn’t get to find out what she’s capable of. In her case, I think it was a confidence issue. 

Edited by TeamAudra

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Early on, I thought she was the most talented vocalist in the cast, based on what I heard in her dozens of covers and live videos, and I stand by that. However, the path she appears to be intent on taking won’t allow her to stand out from the 100s of soul/R&B artists before her, who in some cases, were better at that style than her, not to mention that genre isn’t very popular with the audience.  

TPTB won't allow her to be Corinne Bailey Rae, though. Sooner or later, she'll need to push herself. :muwahaha:

We are yet to see her perform on the voice stage, so there's a chance she's even better than expected. 

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

The “Lives Options” playlist has been removed.  That’s probably a smart move. We worry enough about song choices as it is, and those “options” didn’t help at all. :(

From that list the most viable options are "Natural Woman", "Tennessee Whiskey" and "You're Still The One", she needs to make them her own though. 

My personal suggestions would be "Midnight Train to Georgia", "Let it be" and the ol' reliable itself: "Hallelujah" :haha:

Edited by echoap

18 minutes ago, echoap said:

TPTB won't allow her to be Corinne Bailey Rae, though. Sooner or later, she'll need to push herself. :muwahaha:

We are yet to see her perform on the voice stage, so there's a chance she's even better than expected. 

From that list the most viable options are "Natural Woman", "Tennessee Whiskey" and "You're Still The One", she needs to make them her own though. 

My personal suggestions would be "Midnight Train to Georgia", "Let it be" and the ol' reliable itself: "Hallelujah" :haha:

A couple things. Natural Woman is one of the most overdone songs in the history of the planet, and I can’t think of anyone who’s had a good result singing Shania on the show. That said, she can probably make anything sound amazing, but she needs a freaking home run, given the situation. Let It Be would probably be OK, even though it’s way overdone too. Tennessee Whisky...another overdone song, but there haven’t been many female versions, and I can imagine hers being really good, plus it checks the soul box. I’m just commenting on what I saw on that playlist. In reality, she’s probably considering other songs too. The songs need broad appeal to the show’s audience (median age 60 LOL). 

Edited by TeamAudra

47 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

But if it were to be a version of Natural Woman like this one it may work.  The producers usually choose the arrangement, though. Other contestants have gotten screwed on that. 

Yep, there's a lot of good options on that channel! 

Edited by echoap

11 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

^
Not that I’m expecting it, but she could be a very good country singer if she wanted to...one with lots of range and power, but also the ability to do singer-songwriter style country, like Kacey. 

Would love to see her go that route...but agree that it's unlikely.

26 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

Would love to see her go that route...but agree that it's unlikely.

She does dabble in it a little. She did a cover of “You’re still the one” recently (plus it was on her Lives Options playlist along with Tennessee Whisky). I’ve also noticed other country songs in some of her playlists, and Angel From Montgomery Is countyish (depending on how it’s sung).. For the most part though, her musical tastes appear to be out of the mainstream (not that there’s anything wrong with that).  

She did this cover of “Family is Family” five years ago. She was probably 14. I know she’s a big Kacey fan. 

With only 3 weeks of lives, we’re not really going to get much insight into who these people are as artists. The format is garbage. 

Edited by TeamAudra

On 2/14/2020 at 8:33 AM, TeamAudra said:

She does dabble in it a little. She did a cover of “You’re still the one” recently (plus it was on her Lives Options playlist along with Tennessee Whisky). I’ve also noticed other country songs in some of her playlists, and Angel From Montgomery Is countyish (depending on how it’s sung).. For the most part though, her musical tastes appear to be out of the mainstream (not that there’s anything wrong with that).  

She did this cover of “Family is Family” five years ago. She was probably 14. I know she’s a big Kacey fan. 

With only 3 weeks of lives, we’re not really going to get much insight into who these people are as artists. The format is garbage. 

That's pretty good for a live, unedited performance.  Lile you said...range and power.  I think that would set her apart from most of the country females that have been on the show.  Not so much if she goes the route it looks like she might go.  But yeah...3 lives is gonna give anyone much of an opportunity to stand out anyways so I guess it doesn't matter much.

3 hours ago, ATX29 said:

That's pretty good for a live, unedited performance.  Lile you said...range and power.  I think that would set her apart from most of the country females that have been on the show.  Not so much if she goes the route it looks like she might go.  But yeah...3 lives is gonna give anyone much of an opportunity to stand out anyways so I guess it doesn't matter much.

So many people focus on high notes, but there have been very few females on the show who can also go low like her, and they’re usually much older. 

As for “doesn’t matter much,” that’s been my stance for the last couple seasons. Unless they win, it doesn’t matter much where they finish. Winning only matters for the $100K, and a temporary increase in gigs. Either way, they’re going to have to make it on their own, and it could take several years (and it won’t be because they were on The Voice). Might as well go for the win, and get out of the Republic contract. 

Edited by TeamAudra

I don’t know what made me think of it, but I was reminded that this was Maelyn’s instant save song. Pretty sure Joanna would do well with it, and it’s already been approved by TPTB/songwriters. ^_^

Edited by TeamAudra

28 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

I don’t know what made me think of it, but I was reminded that this was Maelyn’s instant save song. Pretty sure Joanna would do well with it, and it’s already been approved by TPTB/songwriters. ^_^

Perfect song for her.  Please let this happen.

16 minutes ago, ATX29 said:

Perfect song for her.  Please let this happen.

....and “Valerie” for her instant save song. Or, reverse it. Which one to lead with? Tough call. 

I just know she needs something really good and appealing to 60 year old rural people. LOL. 

EDIT: Actually, there probably won’t be an instant save in the playoffs anyway. I think Neon Moon would be the better choice for the PO, to appeal to as many viewers as possible (the song has potential crossover appeal) and especially Blake’s fans. 

Edited by TeamAudra

She’s closing the premiere. 

——

Joanna Serenko – All My Lovin’ – 18 – St. Louis MO – Joanna comes from a family of nurses. 4 chair turn. Kelly says that in all of her years on the show, she has never heard anyone like her. Joanna Picks Team Nick.

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-season-18-spoilers-premiere-song-choices-and-results.htm

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, echoap said:

With the 4 chair turn info, her chances of surviving Team Blake increased. 

Here's a video of Joanna performing her audition song. 

Reveal hidden contents

Absolutely. This is best case scenario. She needed something like this. Hopefully, she gains a lot of fans and an insurmountable lead tonight.