Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

omg at the drama going on. :dead: I do want my songs to go but also not in the mood of doing write-ups. But I'm also good with doing write-ups at some point as well. :haha: 

8 hours ago, Steven_ said:

If Chris and Wallace don’t object, then I don’t mind if you do write-ups in their place. 

Lolllllll. Only my hard earned write ups which I’ve earned none! I’ve been semi-busy so if they don’t get around today I’ll do theirs if we need to get going and they aren’t done by the time I’m home tonight 😂

Out There 

"Out There" is a song from the 1996 American animated musical drama film, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I am choosing to do this write-up first as there are a few songs from this movie and I want to help give the The Nightmare Before Christmas song a higher ranking. Okay so I remember enjoying and liking The Hunchback of Notre Dame when I saw it many years ago though my memory on it isn't so clear. Ahh I guess since we're approaching the end of the game and this point of the game is getting REALLY difficult now. I mean, we're getting down to the nitty gritty at this point. :haha: I guess it's time for me to air out some of my feelings on the Hunchback songs. The remaining songs from the film are big, great big epic songs and strongly composed and/or sung. I just struggle with these songs in the sense of listening to them as songs on their own as like standalone songs. I feel like the songs have a bigger impact on me when watching it as a film altogether. They just lack that catchiness and hook to me to have these songs stick in my head, whereas I feel like the other remaining Disney songs have for me. And I can't really pinpoint them as their own individual songs. Now I don't think they are bad songs at all, and they are deserving of making it this far in this game, but hope my thoughts are understood. Though if I sound ignorant on it, then I apologize for that.

"Out There" is performed by Quasimodo and Claude Frollo (Tom Hulce and Tony Jay). In his scene during the film, Quasimodo has an interest in wanting to attend the Feast of Fools but has never been allowed out of Notre Dame's bell tower before. So this was his chance to enter new territory Claude Frollo, his master, warns him that this may not be the best idea because the outside world has some evil in it as they will treat him like a monster. Claude thinks it would be best for Quasimodo to stay where he is, as a way to look out for his best interest. Quasimodo apologies for disobeying Claude's suggestion. After Frollo leaves, Quasimodo is still curious about all of this, as he pictures how it is in the real world. Of course, he ventures "out there" and sings his heart on what it would be like to be "out there" in the real world.  I will also say that I did enjoy the song as it built up in the latter half and watching it from the film scene vs. listening to just the audio of it.

Megan saves: Heaven's Light/Hellfire

• Sad 2

Jack's Lament

"Jack's Lament" is a song from the 1993 stop-motion animated musical fantasy film, The Nightmare Before Christmas. I feel a little bad for "Jack's Lament" in the sense that this was my 3rd choice/kind of a wildcard nominee, as I didn't really know what to put up for one of my last nominees. However, "Jack's Lament" is one of the few songs I least connect to/with here, sadly. "Jack's Lament" is performed by Jack Skellington of course (performed/sung by Danny Elfman).

"Jack's Lament" has a dark, twisted, but fun feel to it. It's haunting, creepy but it's very intriguing. I'm not exactly sure what Jack is singing about or doing without having the proper context but it's fun to watch. I like the vocal variety here and the faster and slower parts of the song. I did personally want and rooted for "This Is Halloween" to be the last standing song from The Nightmare Before Christmas, but I also think it's more fair for an actual fan of the film to decide on that so I'm not mad that Alex had this be the last standing song from this film. At least this song managed to make it about 50 spots higher than "This Is Halloween" (I think?), so well done to this song for that. 

• Sad 1

"PAINTING THE ROSES RED"
(ALICE IN WONDERLAND)

43be6fe348d62b16f09f77794bf59377.gif

At this stage of the rankdown, I find the songs from Alice in Wonderland are some of the most expandable. The thing is that when one person think of Disney songs, especially from the 1950s, the soundtrack of Alice in Wonderland isn't what immediately come to mind. For those unfamiliar with Alice in Wonderland,  "Painting the Roses Red" is sung by the card soldiers upon Alice's arrival in the garden. The song helps paint a picture of the Queen of Hearts's personality, as they tell Alice the story of painting the roses red and what happens for painting the roses white. What happens when they do? They ends up with the same fate as Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard.  While the song is fun and has a catchy tunes, it's not one that I am particularly passionate about, especially given the stage of the rankdown we're at.

"DIG A LITTLE DEEPER"

(THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG)

tumblr_m9ozc35kU71rwlx7jo1_500.gif

When it comes to The Princess and The Frog, I absolutely love this soundtrack, including this song which is sung by Jenifer Lewis as Mama Odie. However, among the remaining songs from the film, it's easily my third favorite as I find the others to be more superior. With the opportunity to potentially have the other songs from the film as the last two songs standing, I couldn't pass up to the opportunity to make that happen. The song, like others from the film, carries that distinct Creole sound influence. As mentioned earlier, it's performed by Mama Odie with the aim of telling Tiana and Naveen about focusing on what they need rather than what they want. The scene accompanying the song adds to the overall fell of the song as one of the superior one. Overall, it's a good song, and this seems like an appropriate spot for it.