Disney Songs Rankdown (Winner Posted)

Steven_

although my real #1 made 26th place or whatever. If Be Our Guest and Belle and Be Prepared were all in the finals I'd have a hard time figuring out my strategy for #1

5. SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS

tenor.gif

Mary Poppins

CHRIS: 4

MEGAN: 4

WALLACE: 7

DEREK: 11

ALEX: 11

SOLA: 13

ERIK: 15

CHRIS

First of all, I'm thrilled that this song is in the Top 20, especially considering the fact that some rankers seemed to be against songs from Mary Poppins, for the majority of the rankdown. If it were up to me, the Top 20 would probably feature around four songs from Mary Poppins, as its soundtrack holds a special place in my heart as I consider the film as one of my personal favourite. In my opinion,  this song and the entire soundtrack stands the test of time, thanks in part to the Sherman Brothers' brilliant work on the music. Personally speaking, "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is undeniably one of the best songs ever featured in a Disney film and it's easily one of my personal favourites in this Top 20. While I could have easily ranked it in my Top 3, my admiration for the other songs prevented me from doing so - I did have some recency bias with one of the other songs #spoileralert.  One could say that when you think of Mary Poppins' songs, this one automatically comes to mind, and therefore earning its title as the most recognizable song from the film.  The song managed to transport us into Mary Poppins' world with its fun, catchy, and upbeat melody, and its playful rhymes - it's truly hard to not to get the song stuck in your head as soon as you hear it.

As mentioned earlier, the Sherman Brothers  managed to hit a home run with this song, showcasing their incredible talent with the wordplay and rhyme scheme featured in this song. The fact they were able to use of the most complex and lengthy words to create an iconic song is impressive. Most people may not know the word's real meaning, but they certainly know it because of this song, which once again showcase the lasting impact of the song.  However, the song wouldn't be what it is without the incredible Julie Andrews, who brought Mary Poppins to life not just in this song, but throughout the film.  She made her singing in this song seems so easy to do, especially with all the tongue twisters and the speed of the song. Without Julie Andrews, I doubt this song would be the timeless classic it is today - there's no denying that she played a role in ensuring this song remains a timeless classic.

In other words, the song is a timeless classic and it truly deserve its place in the Top 20. And no matter the outcome, I am glad that it made it all the way to this point!

MEGAN

This is NOT my favorite Mary Poppins song, that would be "Feed the Birds." I'm also more partial to "A Spoonful of Sugar" and "Jolly Holiday" than this. But certainly I will NOT complain about a Mary Poppins song in the Top 20 because it is absolutely one of my favorite movies of all time. Mary Poppins is like my favorite Disney character from essentially my favorite Disney movie. So obviously, I'm obsessed with pretty much every song from the movie. I think "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is arguably the most iconic Mary Poppins song (though I think "A Spoonful of Sugar" probably fights with it for most iconic) and it's very catchy.

WALLACE

I know I have said PLENTY of times of not being the biggest fan of Mary Poppins and this will be the last time I'll say so (in this game, lol). But I have always loved and absolutely stanned "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." This song is SO fun, infectious and always makes me so happy whenever I hear and listen to it!  :wub: :bobo: This was definitely the main Mary Poppins song I was hoping to see make it through to the finals and I'm so glad it did. Both Mary Poppins and Bert (portrayed by Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke) slay it here with this song, with both of their singing and dancing here. I like how the song kinda starts off ~slow (though it isn't ever really slow) but I LOVE how they pick the pace up of the song and increase the speed of it to make it go faster and faster! :bobo:Their fast dancing is so cute, fun and just insane. :haha: I just love these songs that makes me so happy and smile throughout... and this is one of those songs that does that for me!

DEREK

I’m going to take the time here to mention that the Broadway version of this song is soooo inferior to this movie version. Like wtf are you spelling it for? Stop it. It’s hard to guess what the #1 Mary Poppins song was going to be in this game since they are all pretty much immaculate. And I suppose it’s safe to place bets on this one now that most of the others are gone lol. Mary Poppins isn’t my favorite movie ever but the songs are undeniable. They just give you that fuzzy nostalgia feeling. I love the use of the animated characters too, this song could go on for 3 more verses and I’d be fine.

ALEX

If we had a character limit I could just write out Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious like 3 times and I'd be good to go to move onto the next writeup. But sadly for all of us, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is only just one word. I'm kinda weird with my Mary Poppins opinions. First of all, I do love the movie though and am very pleased to see it with two songs in the end, especially with some pushback the movie had gotten throughout the game. I think Mary Poppins has a near perfect soundtrack and almost any combination of songs in the end would be deserving. We went for two high-spirited dance routines with lots of creative choreography and lyrical choices. I'm more partial to some of the emotional more plot-relevant songs. A Man Has Dreams being the first boot kinda breaks my heart because Mary Poppins and Bert fixing George Banks is the highlight of the film for me. And because of that, Let's Go Fly a Kite is probably my favorite song from the movie. But I digress.

But anyways, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is so fun! It does a fantastic job of blending the live action and animated parts of the movie. The most nonsensical song in the film being animated is such a genius creative choice. "One night I said it to me girl and now me girl's my wife" Lol iconic. Julie Andrews & Dick van Dyke is also one of the most iconic pairings in film history. Should've been in 15 movies together!

SOLA

I am happy to see Mary Poppins get represented in the end.  It just doesn’t eclipse the songs I ranked higher.

ERIK

Ok so I know this sounds odd, but lately, eveytime I hear this, I think about how hard it would go as a rap song. You can't tell me I'm wrong.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#5 Posted)
12 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I mean clearly I'm fine with it based on my rankings left but Zero to Hero in the Top 4 is totally wild to me

Rooting for zero to hero! 

4. ZERO TO HERO

tumblr_n09jz4NOrI1r60mo4o4_500.gif

Hercules

WALLACE: 2

CHRIS: 5

DEREK: 5

SOLA: 5

ALEX: 6

ERIK: 13

MEGAN: 20

WALLACE

I absolutely and really love "Zero to Hero" from Hercules and I'm very glad to see this make it through to the Top 20 here! "Zero to Hero" is such a joyous, uplifting and feel good song! This is another one of those songs that makes me smile and feels good and happy whenever I hear this. :wub: The muses are iconic characters from Hercules and their version of this song proves exactly that. I love the personality and character that they have while singing this song. :wub: I love how there is so much going on with this song. It's hard to take it all in but there is never a dull or boring moment in this song. I love the church feel of the song in the Hercules, Hercules... part of the song, in the bridge? And of course I love all of those From zero to hero parts. But generally, I love everything about this song.

CHRIS

If there's a song that I made sure to boost its ranking, it's certainly this one, as I absolutely love this song just like the entire soundtrack of Hercules, which had most of its songs were done dirty in this rankdown, in my opinion. As we know, this song depicts the story of Hercules' rise to fame and glory, hence the reference to "zero to hero" in this song penned by Alan Menken and David Zippel. As one would expect from Alan Menken, this song certainly does not disappoint in terms of its catchy tune from start to finish, which is perfectly complemented by Zippel's lyrics filled with Greek mythology references. The song is truly a feel-good anthem filled with energy, especially from the Muses - Calliope voiced by Tony Award Winner Lillias White, Clio voiced by Vanéese Y. Thomas, Thalia voiced by Roz Ryan, Terpichore voiced by Tony Award Winner LaChanze, and Melpomeme voiced by Cheryl Freeman. Together, they delivered stunning vocals and harmonies throughout the song, and bringing each of their respective Muses to life. Overall, from its catchy sound to the powerhouse vocals of the many Broadway legends involved, it's a song that I absolutely love so I am glad to see it in this Top 20.

DEREK

It feels like a miracle that this song made it to the end. AND IT DESERVES. This is easily my favorite song from this movie. People were upset about the Muses in their whatever Gospel Truth songs when THIS is their magnum opus. The singing is incredible and the puns and lyrics are as good as it ever gets with Disney! And the animation is also wonderful and manic and matches the song perfectly. The Muses dancing and expressions are just top tier fun. Plus it acts as a montage and moves the film along. Ecstatic to have this in the end so I have to put it as high as I can.

SOLA

Zero to Hero comes from Hercules and Hercules is my favorite Disney movie of all time.  Hercules got not one, but two songs in the final ranking.  Unfortunately neither of them is Go the Distance, which is my absolute favorite from the movie, and maybe in my Top 3 Disney songs ever.  This is still a brilliant song, sung by the muses about Hercules journey.  I spent most of the game fighting for these songs, so its only right that I made sure one of them made it into my Top 5. I am sure Alex will rank it high, and I hope everyone else will too.

ALEX

Some may say we have too many songs from the Muses in the end here. I couldn't disagree more. I say we don't have enough! Every single Disney song should've been sung by the Muses? They would've made me actually watch Wish if they put them in that movie. I'm so serious, good casting of the Muses is the only thing that might make me watch a live-action Hercules movie. If they put Amber Riley in there I fear I'll have to break my promise of never watching a live-action Disney movie.

Anyways, this song rocks. The Muses just eat up every single lyric. There are so many jokes per lyric in this song. They rightfully thirst after Hercules for like half of it. It advances the plot forward. It's a jam, you can listen to it with or without the context of the movie. It's a perfect 10/10 for me, zero notes.

ERIK

They kinda ate this but calm down he don't look that good.

MEGAN

This is a song that was on my list for cutting at Top 20. Maybe if the other song weren't from Pocahontas, I would have cut this. Maybe if I were a little more passionately annoyed by this rankdown I would have. But I figured it was an easy #20 for me.

• Steven_ changed the title to Disney Songs Rankdown (#4 Posted)
7 minutes ago, *Chris said:

Great showing! 

Winners prediction is still in… I don’t think anybody tanked it either

I did.

Also my winner prediction is still in too.

Good spot for "Zero to Hero" though I was hoping it could have gone a little further. Yayy to all of the people calling this song their favorite from the movie! ❤️ 

I'll be content with whichever song wins, though none are a super all-time favorite song for me like those in my Top 4 were. But yeah, there's two songs I'm pulling for, so fingers crossed for those.