So You Think You Can Dance Season 18 Premiere March 4, 2024 on Fox

istersay

26 minutes ago, RTV said:

Maks reveals in this article that the s18 Top 10 live in a house together. "Part of what the dancers will be scored on is how they figure out the daily challenges and respond to them."

https://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/arena/parade/maksim-chmerkovskiy-on-why-he-moved-to-so-you-think-you-can-dance-and-what/article_cb412b97-6313-5c39-80bf-f65f1cf77ce2.html

Fascinating interview! Some highlights below:

“The Top 10 is living in a house together, it’s like an element of Big Brother,” Maks explains. “... So, for us, it was also interesting to see how people get along, how they relate to each other, how they are able to function as a team, if that’s necessary.”

Part of what the dancers will be scored on is how they figure out the daily challenges and respond to them, which will be covered in a documentary-style look at the contestants’ dynamics... Eliminations will still take place weekly, with the Top 3 finalists competing in the season’s spectacular finale...

“One of the negatives in latter seasons of So You Think You Can Dance, in my opinion, was that the show was becoming about the choreographers and not the performers,” Maks says. “And so, for me, the focus now is going to be solely on the participants, their stories, their processes, and choreographers are going to come in more of letting them know how to do this better and not like, “Look at me, this is who I am and this is what I’m about.”

• Like 2

I hate that the show is on the same time as the voice, but I just watched the first episode and it was so good. I love the new format and staging, the panel is great and the quality of the dancers is amazing so far, excited for the rest of the season

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any guesses as to how they did auditions without Nigel? Reddit thinks that they may have done a reshoot of all the judge reactions. I'll have to rewatch and see if it's noticeable because I didn't pick up on that the first time around

This episode felt super rushed. I would have liked a longer episode or split it between two episode so we can spend time with some of the dancers that got cut.

A couple of my faves made the Top 10, so I’m happy about that.

Really not sure what to expect from these next few rounds. I hope they feel less rushed than tonight’s episode and I hope there’s an audience because I’m already missing the old format.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2024 at 7:20 PM, FrogLenzen said:

anyone have any guesses as to how they did auditions without Nigel? Reddit thinks that they may have done a reshoot of all the judge reactions. I'll have to rewatch and see if it's noticeable because I didn't pick up on that the first time around

I was also wondering about this. :unsure: I'm curious how much of the auditions Nigel was apart of as I thought he did most, if not, all of the auditions? The show edited around it really well. But I also wonder how much of stuff was reshoot too.

3 hours ago, sublymonal said:

This episode felt super rushed. I would have liked a longer episode or split it between two episode so we can spend time with some of the dancers that got cut.

A couple of my faves made the Top 10, so I’m happy about that.

Really not sure what to expect from these next few rounds. I hope they feel less rushed than tonight’s episode and I hope there’s an audience because I’m already missing the old format.

Ah yeah I also felt like this episode was super rushed and went by so fast. I wish the pace was slower so we could have saw more of the dances and seen more of the dancers and how they coped with the choreography.

I am also SO confused with whatever the format is this season??? :dead: I feel like they are some kind of and different dance challenges the contestants do. But it's not like the usual duet dances we've all known and love with this show? :unsure: I'm confused but the preview makes it seem like it's a completely different show which worries me.

20 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

I am also SO confused with whatever the format is this season??? :dead: I feel like they are some kind of and different dance challenges the contestants do. But it's not like the usual duet dances we've all known and love with this show? :unsure: I'm confused but the preview makes it seem like it's a completely different show which worries me.

It is a completely different show. From what I understood, there’s no voting involved, and there are six shows in total, during which the dancers will face different challenges. So there will mostly be group dances, maybe with few duets but not the same type that we are used to. My worry is that it’s going to be very rushed and little focus on each individual. :( Which is a shame because Top 10 seems really strong

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Erestor said:

It is a completely different show. From what I understood, there’s no voting involved, and there are six shows in total, during which the dancers will face different challenges. So there will mostly be group dances, maybe with few duets but not the same type that we are used to. My worry is that it’s going to be very rushed and little focus on each individual. :( Which is a shame because Top 10 seems really strong

Ah this was what I was fearing when I heard the major changes about it. I wouldn't have minded it if it was a completely different and new show, but it doesn't really feel like SYTYCD. 🙈 Oh I didn't realize it was only 6 shows, but I kinda figured there would be less performance-based shows with how quick the auditions went by. I fear all of what you're saying as well. :( 

I want to blame the rushed/weird auditions on the fact that they had to edit out Nigel and he probably drove a lot of the production/plotlines/judging drama. He's a certified POS but that stuff is his specialty. 

But then again, with only a half dozen more episodes left in the season makes me think that there was never a way to whittle down to 10 dancers this fast without it seeming like a blur

• 4 weeks later...

I still don't like or support whatever twist is going on this season. BUT with that said, I actually liked the Broadway challenge more than the music video challenge (when on paper I had the opposite feeling). At least with the Broadway challenge, they still got to perform in front of the judges as a group number and it still had more of a classic SYTYCD feel to it. I didn't really like the music video challenge because it was just recorded music video footage being judged on which didn't feel like SYTYCD.

I still struggle getting to know or get invested in dancers with this format. Even though we do get to see more of their real life/outside of the competition personalities. The eliminations have been sad and tough but nothing I've been too upset over.