𓇻• Huntley Fan Thread •𓇻

Teraginn

1 minute ago, RTV said:

Great audition, and I love the rasp. It's good that he opened the episode and came across as likable. But TPTB have kept him hidden until now...

I think they're trying to do to Huntley what they did to Grace West. The surprise audition edit.

And it seems to be working FWIW. His FB numbers are really good. And he got 90% on the Voice app. Opening auditions usually don't get 90% since the people are still warming up to press their buttons on the app. 

2 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

I think they're trying to do to Huntley what they did to Grace West.

That's what I was thinking. But for his sake, I hope not. In my opinion, they were trying to prevent Grace (actually, Blake) from winning. Niall's current position is similar to Blake's last season. The reigning champion isn't returning next season. He's also up against a new coach that has been heavily promoted and is a season 25 panelist. Reba winning her first season as Blake's replacement is probably the goal. While TPTB don't always get what they want, they certainly push hard for it.

It seems the show's main audience sometimes supports male singers with cute young kids. Niall's fans apparently voted for 18-year-old Gina Miles. Maybe they'll do the same for 33-year-old Huntley. Regardless, good luck to him! Hopefully he enjoys The Voice experience and benefits from the exposure.

18 minutes ago, RTV said:

That's what I was thinking. But for his sake, I hope not. In my opinion, they were trying to prevent Grace (actually, Blake) from winning. Niall's current position is similar to Blake's last season. The reigning champion isn't returning next season. He's also up against a new coach that has been heavily promoted and is a season 25 panelist. Reba winning her first season as Blake's replacement is probably the goal. While TPTB don't always get what they want, they certainly push hard for it.

It seems the show's main audience sometimes supports male singers with cute young kids. Niall's fans apparently voted for 18-year-old Gina Miles. Maybe they'll do the same for 33-year-old Huntley. Regardless, good luck to him! Hopefully he enjoys The Voice experience and benefits from the exposure.

I was talking more about the blind audition edit than anything beyond that. I just think they wanted to spread the talent more evenly across the weeks and they decided to stick him in the end so he'll stand out more.

I have no idea if the audience will latch on to Huntley, but it's worth nothing that he's probably the strongest male vocalist left in the Top 12, and the majority of the Top 12 is female. And his status as a single father won't hurt optics either.

from MJ Santilli's recap:

Huntley – 33
Huntley co-parents two children, a boy and a girl “One week on, one week off,” he explains. His own dad disappeared when he was 8 years old. In high school, he started a metal band. At 19 he picked up an acoustic guitar and moved to Nashville. Eventually, he moved back to Virginia. He’s juggling a day job and playing at night. The coaches turn instantly for Huntley’s sturdy, classic rock voice. He’s an effortless rock singer. A big voice, with no strain.

Reba heard Chris Stapleton, whom she’s a big fan of. Niall compares him to English singers like James Morrison. He admired his power. Gwen says, “Your voice is pure and honest. You’re very comfortable.” Huntley is emotional, “I’ve been waiting a long time for this.” John says he sounds like he’s been on big stages before. “Your voice sounds ready.” Gwen compares him to Bradley from Sublime. Before he decides, Huntley brings his daughter Stella on stage. Stella makes the announcement SHE picks Niall. 4-chair turn, Huntley picks Team Niall

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-24-recap-blind-auditions-7-live-blog-videos.htm

• Like 1

recap excerpt:

Huntley (Team Niall), “She Talks to Angels” — Grade: A | Once a metal-band “screamer” (his descriptor), amiable Huntley was afraid that he wouldn’t get any chair turns in front of his little girl. He needn’t have worried, though. His spectacular, whiskey-soaked rasp won over all four coaches and prompted Reba to compare him to Chris Stapleton.

https://tvline.com/recaps/the-voice-recap-huntley-taylor-deneen-blind-auditions-1235061708

I liked Huntley - expected to and not disappointed. I hear more blues-old rnb/pop in him. He has a really nice cover of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay online and I'd wager he's sung more than a little of artists in the Van Morrison to John Mayer to Anderson East line. The Black Crowes were a good pick (their Hard to Handle is an Otis Redding cover). He does remind a little of the blues side of Stapleton. Good luck to him!

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I liked Huntley - expected to and not disappointed. I hear more blues-old rnb/pop in him. He has a really nice cover of Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay online and I'd wager he's sung more than a little of artists in the Van Morrison to John Mayer to Anderson East line. The Black Crowes were a good pick (their Hard to Handle is an Otis Redding cover). He does remind a little of the blues side of Stapleton. Good luck to him!

I like that we are having different takeaways from Huntley's audition. Some see grunge/metal, others see blues/RnB. That shows his crossover potential.

56 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

I like that we are having different takeaways from Huntley's audition. Some see grunge/metal, others see blues/RnB. That shows his crossover potential.

I just came here to say that after relistening to his BA I was offbase. I really like his Otis cover and expectations affected what I was hearing  lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I just came here to say that after relistening to his BA I was offbase. I really like his Otis cover and expectations affected what I was hearing  lol

Haha! I mean I think it's still valid. He does have that hoarse quality that a lot of old school RnB singers have.

And if the first video clip in this post is any indication, he does have the rhythmic sense for pop/RnB.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyg22HwS7vw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

10 minutes ago, Teraginn said:

Haha! I mean I think it's still valid. He does have that hoarse quality that a lot of old school RnB singers have.

And if the first video clip in this post is any indication, he does have the rhythmic sense for pop/RnB.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyg22HwS7vw/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I think he could but it feels to me that his natural voice is heavier than that and while I can't guess which of several directions he might go I'd guess he uses that asset.

• Like 1

Man I keep forgetting fan threads are not spoiler free (mostly cause a lot of the fan threads I'm in haven't discussed spoilers yet).

But I am glad to know one of my favourites makes the top 12. Look forward to hearing him, I don't really care what genre he does as long as it suits his voice (or he makes the song suit him) and he brings it vocally.

Also, yeah, I do hear blues in him too as well as some rock/grunge. Almost Joe Crocker-esque? (Don't really know many blues singers by name..). 

Edited by Hsamid

Some BTS stuff of Huntley with his newfound Voice friends!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CylCoMQO1Qe/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

I love seeing stuff like this. Makes me invested in the cast even more.

Seems like he's best buds with Tom, Lennon, Jacquie, BIAS, Mara, Nini, Ephraim, Ayvio and a few others. He and Lennon/Tom seems to be the ones leading the sing alongs in the hotel room most of the time.

On 10/21/2023 at 6:35 PM, Hsamid said:

Man I keep forgetting fan threads are not spoiler free (mostly cause a lot of the fan threads I'm in haven't discussed spoilers yet).

But I am glad to know one of my favourites makes the top 12. Look forward to hearing him, I don't really care what genre he does as long as it suits his voice (or he makes the song suit him) and he brings it vocally.

Also, yeah, I do hear blues in him too as well as some rock/grunge. Almost Joe Crocker-esque? (Don't really know many blues singers by name..). 

:dead: I'm sorryyyyyy that the surprise got ruined T_T

Edited by Teraginn

• 2 weeks later...

They keep him so hidden that they threw us a bone and released his battle early :dead:

It's funny, Huntley's grit and power is so undeniable and on full display the two times we've seen him so far, but there's something about his presence that doesn't feel as alienatingly intense as his voice suggest, if that makes sense? He's kind of a teddy bear, on and off the stage, and I appreciate that mismatch.

I also love how full and round his tone is despite how gritty it is. It makes the belts he does so much more pleasing to the ears. I hope the Voice BTS coaches are teaching him how to take care of his voice, especially once the Lives start and the filming process gets more gruelling.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:35 AM, Hsamid said:

I'm not arguing for Joe Cocker (an old fav) but it would be a natural for Huntley imo and better than some poppier choices he might get. 

Maybe Feelin' Alright or Delta Lady, either of which would be a cakewalk for Huntley. Personally, I'd pick Cocker's cover of The Letter.

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1