FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

1 hour ago, Hsamid said:

Curious as to your thoughts on Hunter as a fellow indiehead.

Yeah this guy was right up my wheelhouse lol. I thought Devix from last season was very influenced by British artists but Hunter pushes it even further. At some points he comes off as a Thom Yorke copycat tbh, but at least he’s doing it justice (*cough cough* teen girl who thought she was Florence Welch *cough cough*). And don’t we all want mini-me’s of our favorite singers to come on these shows sometimes?

My favorite performance from him was probably “All I Want” which I was surprised by, but I’ll need to rewatch.

Edited by FloorWax
  • Like 1

Anyway, I thought Jesse was just ok for the most part, I didn’t really care for his tone. And he did feel like Laith Lite honestly. Thought his KO was very strong though, preferred it to Laith’s version. Top 10 was enjoyable too in a cheesy kind of way.

Edited by FloorWax

Vanessa and Hunter were fun contestants, but the former was a bit inconsistent live I never got into the latter, even if he’s totally me-bait (his KO is one of my favorites though)

Regardless, they would be on my Top 3 from that season (them and Lauren)

29 minutes ago, allistr said:

Who's that?

Darby lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Daillon said:

Vanessa and Hunter were fun contestants, but the former was a bit inconsistent live I never got into the latter, even if he’s totally me-bait (his KO is one of my favorites though)

Regardless, they would be on my Top 3 from that season (them and Lauren)

Darby lol

I honestly thought Diamonds was her only bad live performance and I'm pretty lukewarm on A Song For You/Lean On. What did you think of the Lauryn Hill cover?

Edited by FloorWax

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

Yeah this guy was right up my wheelhouse lol. I thought Devix from last season was very influenced by British artists but Hunter pushes it even further. At some points he comes off as a Thom Yorke copycat tbh, but at least he’s doing it justice (*cough cough* teen girl who thought she was Florence Welch *cough cough*). And don’t we all want mini-me’s of our favorite singers to come on these shows sometimes?

I always thought his arrangement and approach of songs was was cold play-esque but the vocal comparison to Thom makes a lot of sense.

Also, I actually liked Darby's audition. Not sure if that's unpopular or not..

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

My favorite performance from him was probably “All I Want” which I was surprised by, but I’ll need to rewatch.

Ah, same. I think that was his most consistent vocal and one of the better versions of the song I've heard, the arrangement stands out. Really like his headvoice/falsetto too.

Edited by Hsamid

20 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

I honestly thought Diamonds was her only bad live performance and I'm pretty lukewarm on A Song For You/Lean On. What did you think of the Lauryn Hill cover?

Doo-Wop was great. Like you I didn’t care for A Song For You and Diamonds, but everything else was good (I actually enjoyed Lean On)  

ftr Vanessa was the only contesant who remained consistently towards the top of my rankings. I found her live run slightly underwhelming but only because her pre-lives were so good

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

That was her best performance.

that's the only performance of hers I remember clearly. I listened to you don't own me or shake it sometime ago but they clearly didn't make a lasting impression as I can barely recall its quality..I take it that's for the best huh.

2 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

that's the only performance of hers I remember clearly. I listened to you don't own me or shake it sometime ago but they clearly didn't make a lasting impression as I can barely recall its quality..I take it that's for the best huh.

Shake It Out is technically good but I hate it. You Don't Own Me is just bad.

• Like 1

Was just reading through some threads on the old IDFs, and found this.

yTFVBmp.png

The impression I got by reading those threads was that Lauren and Hunter were IDF's top 2. Maybe I'm wrong tho, the members who were present here at that time can correct me. I also got the impression that he was one of the least polarizing contestants that season. That poll also had 4 pages, in them 50% of the people ranked Hunter as #1, and majority of the other people had him in their top 3.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Was just reading through some threads on the old IDFs, and found this.

yTFVBmp.png

The impression I got by reading those threads was that Lauren and Hunter were IDF's top 2. Maybe I'm wrong tho, the members who were present here at that time can correct me. I also got the impression that he was one of the least polarizing contestants that season. That poll also had 4 pages, in them 50% of the people ranked Hunter as #1, and majority of the other people had him in their top 3.

IDF gonna IDF.

The only surprise is Vanessa not having lots of votes.

1 minute ago, Hsamid said:

IDF gonna IDF.

The only surprise is Vanessa not having lots of votes.

There was even a poll where the question was, "Who's the better vocalist?", and you know what, Lauren had 2 votes more than Chris. :rofl:

5 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Yeah looks pretty accurate. They had the biggest followings after all.

I’m surprised Brennley didn’t have more tho

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cookie73 said:

Yeah it was. I didn’t mind her audition, but I didn’t like her later performances

I liked her PO :stealth:

It’s not epic or anything but I would’ve given her PV over Aaron. Not sure if that’s unpopular?

Also I thought Miley did a great job of choosing good songs for her voice, You Don’t Own Me really could’ve worked, it just… didn’t lol

7 minutes ago, nytsch said:

I liked her PO :stealth:

It’s not epic or anything but I would’ve given her PV over Aaron. Not sure if that’s unpopular?

Also I thought Miley did a great job of choosing good songs for her voice, You Don’t Own Me really could’ve worked, it just… didn’t lol

I didn’t like it either, and I also didn’t like Aaron. Ali basically carried that team in playoffs

I was mainly annoyed by her pronunciation of words, though it didn’t bother me in her audition. 

Here’s something extra about S11 that people may not remember- Wé and Darby’s auditions were aired in full in a preview in August 2016, a month before the season premiered.

Hunter´s tone is fantastic, but enunciation did actually turn into a bit of a problem for me on some of his performances. Loved his KO, PO was good, I actually really liked his version of "Higher Love". Didn´t like his Somebody that I Used to Know version, T11 was ok, and semis was disappointing (never sing U2 on this show, kids).

As for the Thom Yorke influence, definitely, it´s right there.

And I also remember many people in the YT comments section (and i mean, MANY) were longing for him to sing Coldplay (which he did, in the team performance), and I believe he was gonna sing "Yellow" in the finale, had he made it. Makes sense, since Coldplay is Radiohead´s kid (or nephew?)

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Loved Lilli Passero. Her style was something fresh for this show and it never came off as forced. That audition especially was fantastic, I have no idea why Adam didn’t swivel his chair. I do wish her lives were better though, as while “Man! I Feel Like A Woman” was obviously a horrid song choice, even the others weren’t as good as they should have been imo.

yes !!! she's so good. tragic that she was with Adam bc he's a loser and also whoever gave her song choices were terrible. love her tone

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, QueenCami said:

yes !!! she's so good. tragic that she was with Adam bc he's a loser and also whoever gave her song choices were terrible. love her tone

Lilli should have been a 4 chair turn that season.

Some of the choices for 4 chair turns were interesting that season. I really liked many of the three chair auditions that season (Lauren, Lilli, Felicia, Johnny G, Kawan, Hannah). We had a very solid group of 3 chairs to make up for some questionable 4 chair turns.

Oh yeah, the 4 chair turns got cut off pretty quickly in S12. Troy was the only one who made it past the POs, and he had to be saved. When he got eliminated the following week, the T11 had no 4 chair turns left. Probably the only time we´ve ever had that happen. 

I liked basically all of Hunter’s lives tbh…

The U2 song wasn’t that exciting of a choice or arrangement but I thought he did fine with it.

The one I didn’t like was his BA, he just didn’t have the vocal strength for that song tbh.

That being said idk what he said on Twitter (apparently some things are since deleted) and at this point I’m not sure I want to know lol