FloorWax reviews every TVUS Winner's Journey (Season 22 Posted!)

FloorWax

Adam Wakefield- Bring It On Home to Me, Soulshine, I’m Sorry

Hannah Huston- House of the Rising Sun, I Can’t Make You Love Me

Laith Al Saadi- Make It Rain

Ryan Quinn- Can’t Find My Way Home, Maybe I’m Amazed (w Katie Basden)

Owen Danoff- Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright, She’s Always a Woman

Shalyah Fearing- A Broken Wing

Mary Sarah- Where the Boys Are

Emily Keener- Lilac Wine

Bryan Bautista- Man’s World (w Malik Heard), 1+1

• Thanks 1

Laith Al-Saadi - All Along The Watchtower!!!!
Laith Al-Saadi - In Your Eyes

I think he's up your alley, lol. Like Daillon's reply below, his journey is a must-watch, because it's one the coolest.

Edited by allistr

40 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

Y’all know the drill. Essential non-Alisan S10 performances 👀?

S10 was STACKED, so buckle up:

Blinds: Owen Danoff, Emily Keener, Moushimi, Ryan Quinn, Angie Keilhauer, Mary Sarah, Mike Schiavo, Abby Celso, Bryan Bautista, Caity Peters

KOs: Shalyah Fearing, Owen Danoff, Tamar Davis, Katie Basden, Caity Peters, Moushimi, Brian Nhira, Bryan Bautista

The ones I put in italics are personal favorites, but I don’t consider them “essential”

Lives:

Shalyah Fearing - Listen

Emily Keener - Lilac Wine

(pretty sure Mary and Bryan both had one or two good live performances but I can’t think of one)

Last but not least, the finalists. Not a fan of Laith, but I would watch their whole runs, they are worth your time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FloorWax said:

i'll share the ones that i like, obviously some you won't enjoy but i'll underline the ones that i think are probably considered must-listens. i've marked off ones that are mainly there because of my personal taste.

blind auditions:

caity peters - "jealous" 

nick hagelin - "lost stars" [personal choice]

mary sarah - "where the boys are"

mike schavio - "talking body"

shalyah fearing - "what is love" [personal choice]

caroline burns - "so far away" [personal choice]

angie keilhauer - "i hold on"

ayanna jahneé - "skyfall" [personal choice]

battles:

ryan quinn vs. katie basden - "maybe i'm amazed"

bryan bautista vs. malik heard - "it's a man's man's man's world"

tamar davis vs. shalyah fearing - "lady marmalade"

mary sarah vs. justin whisnant - "louisiana woman, mississippi man" [personal choice]

hannah huston vs. maya smith - "elastic heart" [personal choice]

caity peters vs. joe vivona - "honesty" [personal choice]

knockouts:

hannah huston - "house of the rising sun"

katie basden - "gypsy"

shalyah fearing - "a broken wing"

adam wakefield - "bring it on home to me"

tamar davis - "lay me down"

mary sarah - "you ain't woman enough (to take my man)"

caity peters - "leave your lover"

the live shows:

shalyah fearing - "listen"

Adam Wakefield's "Love Has No Pride, "I'm Sorry," "Bring It On Home To Me," and "Tennessee Whiskey" were INSANE. 

Laith's "All Along The Watchtower" and "In Your Eyes" were really good.

Tamar Davis vs. Shalyah - Lady Marmalade

Bryan vs. Malik - Man's World (You probably have heard of this)

Mary Sarah - Where The Boys Are

Ryan Quinn - Can't Find My Way Home

Hannah Huston - HOTRS and Unaware

Brian Nehra - Grenade

I agree with most of what you said about Jordan. I think I’d have Great is Thy Faithfulness in the top 3 though. But yeah, STL is his #1 (and maybe the #1 out of all the other contestants too?)

On personal preference, I’d probably have him 4th after Josh and Sawyer (with Tess 1st), but I still love all of them.

Will be watching all the finalists’ runs so I’ll be holding out on those ;) 

Loved these blind auditions:

Ryan Quinn - Pretty sure I’ve seen this before but he’s exactly the kind of guy I root for lol. I really like his vibe.

Owen Danoff - This was fantastic! I loved his approach to delivering the song, felt different from most folk singers that come along this show.

Moushumi - Very pretty tone. I think I’ve seen this before as well and it still stands as the best version of this song on TVUS.

HMs: Bryan Bautista, Emily Keener (Love her tone but it was kind of a mess in parts)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FloorWax said:

Will be watching all the finalists’ runs so I’ll be holding out on those ;) 

Loved these blind auditions:

Ryan Quinn - Pretty sure I’ve seen this before but he’s exactly the kind of guy I root for lol. I really like his vibe.

Owen Danoff - This was fantastic! I loved his approach to delivering the song, felt different from most folk singers that come along this show.

Moushumi - Very pretty tone. I think I’ve seen this before as well and it still stands as the best version of this song on TVUS.

HMs: Bryan Bautista, Emily Keener (Love her tone but it was kind of a mess in parts)

so literally none of the ones i listed 😐 i'm retroactively taking back your winner title in my rankings thread 🙄

None

/j

It’s no secret that she’s my favorite winner and it’s not really close tbh (would have been close if Morgan won, but we can’t have nice things…)

I’ll second Bryan’s 1+1, underrated tbh I thought that was stunning.

I really liked Shalyah too although I acknowledge that she was technically far from perfect, but her KO (A Broken Wing) is a must watch.

Just now, QueenCami said:

so literally none of the ones i listed 😐 i'm retroactively taking back your winner title in my rankings thread 🙄

Caity, Mike, and Angie were good, they just didn’t speak to me that much. Caroline and Nick, I couldn’t get into their tones 😬. I’ll have to rewatch Mary Sarah, she did great vocally but her voice was a teensy bit grating to my ears.

• Like 1

Just now, FloorWax said:

Caity, Mike, and Angie were good, they just didn’t speak to me that much. Caroline and Nick, I couldn’t get into their tones 😬. I’ll have to rewatch Mary Sarah, she did great vocally but her voice was a teensy bit grating to my ears.

yeah definitely makes sense, i think Caity had a great audition, Mike i'm less of a fan of but i respect it, and Angie i think is one of my favorites of the season. caroline / nick i think are kinda unpopular opinions on here but i really like caroline's light, airy voice and i thought nick's falsetto was nice. mary sarah is strong as well but there's this megan danielle-esque thing where i'm kinda hoping she'll do more because i feel like she can and they she doesn't :( 

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

The other 3 finalists´ whole runs. Truly, IMO, the best finale group we´ve ever had on the show. 

S10 is a treat in general. Sucks that I wasn´t able to watch it live. 

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FloorWax said:

People in IDF either loved or hated it so it’s interesting that you seem to be on the fence.

I personally love it, but can see why a lot of people were turned off by it (my only issue was her diction in some brief moments)

8 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

S10 is a treat in general. Sucks that I wasn´t able to watch it live. 

Remove the Comeback and you possibly have the best Voice season ever (yes I’m still salty)

1 hour ago, Daillon said:

Remove the Comeback and you possibly have the best Voice season ever (yes I’m still salty)

I´ll say that Daniel had a good moment in the playoffs, but other than that I agree.

Paxton lasted a bit too long too, but in the end the strongest prevailed (although I´d definitely would have kept Emily for longer).

Good ol´snowflake killers that weren´t country lol. 

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

Also, people mentioned Laith so far but I haven’t seen We’ve Got Tonight listed, so I’d also recommend that one

Probably my least favorite of his, but it showed his versatility (and ability to play a different instrument). It scored him high on iTunes too, if I´m not mistaken.

That dude has probably my favorite run ever on the show. 

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

Hannah Huston- Every Breath You Take (it's my favorite finale performance of all time)

Shalyah Fearings KO as well. 

Edited by erik g

8 minutes ago, Misirlou said:

Probably my least favorite of his, but it showed his versatility (and ability to play a different instrument). It scored him high on iTunes too, if I´m not mistaken.

That dude has probably my favorite run ever on the show. 

Yeah, Bob Seger songs always seem to do well lol

It was one of my favorites from him, but not my favorite, Make It Rain was better imo.

• Like 1

I actually met him once, and I got to see him perform ten songs in person. He was a really cool person to talk to, and it was a great experience. Definitely the type of male contestant I like to see on the show. Also, I wished he lasted longer on the show (I’ll get to the comeback stage later, particularly with his team…). I really liked a lot of MJ’s robbed snowflakes

My opinions on the finalists

Adam Wakefield- The best country guy on the show that didn’t win. I appreciate how he sang a lot of soulful songs, in addition to country. He dove into Ray Charles and Sam Cooke during his time on the show. It also helps that I really liked his tone, and he was very consistent. I think runner up was appropriate for him, considering how much I liked Alisan’s run
Hannah Huston- Another very solid contestant. She was definitely jazzier and a bit raspier compared to Alisan, and House of the Rising Sun and I Can’t Make You Love Me were my favorite performances from her. I don’t remember any of her performances being bad, but I do wish she had fresher song choices during the Lives, which limits my enjoyment of her run. There weren’t many songs associated mainly with her. Overall, I enjoyed her run and thought she deserved to make finale. 
Laith Al Saadi- The blues man guitarist of the season. Laith’s voice is very raspy, but I didn’t mind it. Make It Rain was my favorite performance from him, but I don’t remember disliking any performances from him. I’m also happy that he made finale, considering it was cool to see a good blues rocker. Also, he’s one of the best guitarists to be on the show.

So yeah, my opinion on the finalists this season is very positive, and all of them deserved finale.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Btw, I think I should share some of my thoughts on his performances too, since he's my all time fav.

I think it's not hard to see why it was THE most viewed video of any version of the voice at the time of 2017. Chandelier is such a hard song to sing for any singer, let alone a male one. His voice is just out of this world. While I didn't get the feeling that he was a girl, I can see why would anyone think that way, he def has that Shock factor in his voice. I really loved how he changed the arrangement, and sang it uptemtpo in the start. His version is completely diff from all the other versions I've heard. Everyone sings the part  "123 123 drink, throw em back till I loose count" very slow, and then go for the big note, but I'm glad that wasn't the case with his version (I personally find it boring that way). His voice was so crystal clear. I loved the way he sang "I'm gonna Swiiiiing," that 'swing' was so well enunciated. The falsetto on "Chandelie-eee-r" was done perfectly as well. Now comes my fav part. He showed insane amount of breath control in the 2nd half. The last falsetto he did, was so smooth. I also loved the "Like a bird through the nigh" part a lot, so musical. Now, I'm not saying it was the best auditon ever (Alisan was a bit better), but this has to be the most iconic audition of all time. Flawless and effortless from start to finish. No wonder why Adam called him 'The most important person to ever be on the voice.'

• Just like his auditon, his battle is my all time fav as well. We all know how many incredible things Jordan can do with his voice. But here he didn't let loose, instead talked with Regina to create an arrangement that would give both of them equal chance to shine, so that one of them gets stolen. (Jordan said that). It really felt like a BATTLE. Really loved their chemistry. Regina did an incredible job as well, her stage presence was fire. Jordan didn't even need to sing high notes, he already melted me with those soft notes. His runs were great as well esp on "Ple-eeee-eeee-ase" and "Like devils ca-aaa-aaa-n." One of my other fav parts was when Regina hit those powerful notes, and then Jordan came and showed he can do just as good by hitting that F5 (with runs, may I add). And of course towards the end he showed that he has power too. That D5 was spot on. Even tho I prefer Jordan here,  I thought Regina did a wonderful job as well. What a well deserved steal.

• First of all, what a bold song choice! Second of all, did you guys see that rehearsal?!? Sheesh!!! Rihanna's face summed up my thoughts as well. This has to be one of the very best Knockouts of all time. Loved the reactions of all the coaches here. I agree with FloorWax that this was probably the performance where he seemed the most connected (Pre-lives). It had power, range, control, runs... the crowd pop at the end might be the loudest I've ever heard for a knockout performance. That F5 he did in the middle was out of this world. But, my fav part was the "Let it burn, ohhhhhh-hhhh, let i-eee-et burn," Pharrell was like, man, this dude is INSANE. I still can't believe Micahel Slezak wasn't impressed by this. He didn't like his high notes, he thought they were very shrill. Btw, his opponent was great as well. Probably one of my fav overall matches. I also really loved how humble Jordan was. There was literally no reaction from him when Adam picked him in the battles and in the KOs.

• This performance has a special place in my heart. Not the best vocals from him, but I LOVED it so much. I appreciate that Adam told Jordan to tone it down a little bit bc he didn't want Jordan to sound generic. This was a stripped down version. I really felt that. He showed great breath control on that "Halo-o-ooohh- hoo-oo - hohohohoho-oooohhooooo" part. My fav part here was the transition from Bb4 to B4 towards the end. It gave me chills. What a way to close the night, no wonder why it charted #3 on iTunes. I can totally see why this was Jordan's personal favorite performance, this was so moving.

• Just like I said on another thread, this was the most flawless and beautiful he ever sounded. Adam nailed it with his idea on how the stage should look like, and that band shouldn't play here. Jordan sang this with so much passion and emotion. I know some people might've been turned off by the segment where tptb showed him crying talking about God, but believe me that wasn't pandering lol. First of all, that's who Jordan is in real life as well, and second of all, Jordan didn't even know why they were shooting it, he was sharing his thoughts on the song, and cried towards the end, and then tptb put this in his intro package. Those 3 consecutive chest voice notes were so powerful, esp the last one (D5). And that clean falsetto at the end was just icing on the cake. No wonder why it charted #1 on iTunes, and knocked down Adele's Hello. (Hello was #1 for straight 3 weeks prior to that).

• I loved he got to sing this. He struggled with image issues a lot, as he mentioned. He was managed to convey the message of the song imo that stay true to yourself, just be you. I personally loved it, even if it was his weakest performance vocally at that point. Wasn't a huge iTunes sell like others, but still did pretty well there. 

• This might be unpopular. I've heard many version of this song, but none better than this one. Just watched it again yesterday, and gotta say my ears were blessed. I loved that high note that he did (and added runs to it) in head voice, that was truly the highlight of the performance for me. It would've been even better if his belts had more power (like they had in the rehearsals), but nonetheless, a flawless performance.

• Ah, now we're talking. I didn't think he would top SFTTR (The bar was very high), but he just did with this performance. Loved the producing side of Adam as well. Loved all of his advices on the arrangement, his idea to bring in a Gospel Choir, and on top of that, thanks him for choosing that song for Jordan. Jordan mentioned somewhere that he didn't know at that time that he had that in him, it was Adam who pushed him to the limits. Honestly, this is my fav performance of all time, and I consider it as THE greatest performance ever. The chest voice notes, the mixed notes, the low notes, the falsettos, growls, riffs, runs (It was so impressive to see him adding runs to the low notes). That 'somebody toooo ooooooohhhhh aaaaooooohhhhh looooooooveeeee' part was FANTASTIC. And he didn't stop there, dude hit a G#5, and then again runs, and then ended the performance with a G#4 (with runs). I seriously can't believe he was able to do that much. To do all of the things he did in a single performance, requires immense breath support. No wonder why Adam called it the best performance ever. (He said that in the intro package of CEM). It was one of the highest selling performances from the show (HelenaHandBasket shared a data back in 2017 (first 4 seasons excluded), according to which STL, MDYK?, and GITFF were top 3 highest selling performances at that time. Matthew Shuler's Hallelujah and Matt's Wasted Love were #4 and #5 respectively.) This performance made the gap between him and others even larger. On FB (under the "Here's your top 4 video") there were people who even said, he can just tank, and they would still vote for him in the Finale. Like, it had that much impact.

• I kinda get the criticism for CEM, like it wasn't Perfect at all. Apparently he wasn't a fan of it either. But I still liked it. He did a lot with that performance, and I absolutely loved all of of it. The "Follow every Raiiiinnnnbowwwww-oooowwww" still gives me chills. Not my fav from him, but still a great performance.

• I gotta be honest, I can't connect to the lyrics of this song, but idk why, he still managed to give me goosebumps. His voice is just THAT good. This was his best show of emotion. Adam mentioned after that performance that this was actually a last minute change. Adam had another song in mind that he wanted Jordan to sing, but Jordan said this is the song that He wants to sing. Adam said, his own choice wouldn't have been that great. This was probably the moment when I started to realize that this is the type of music Jordan is gonna make after the show. Even tho 2 of his albums were full pop albums, but recently he did declare himself as a full fledge Christian artist. 

Btw this was a fantastic performance vocally. I really loved the build up to the high note, the falsetto in the middle and towards the end. The "IIIIIII AAAAA-aaaaaaa-mmmmmm" part was incredible as well, great showcase of vowels there.

I agree that not ALL of his performances were fabulous or were worthy to be called as a 'moment,' but honestly the same can be said about the other winners as well.

Tess, him, Alisan, Maelyn, and Cam all had an incredible run, and never had a BAD performance. But Tess had My Kind of Love and Finale Reprise performance, Jordan had WYA and CEM, Alisan had Cryin', Stay With Me Baby, and OG song, Maelyn had Falling Water and OG song. (Her battle wasn't that great either) [All of these performances were still good tho] Cam had multiple performances that even though didn't have any issues, but he didn't do much with them vocally for them to be called as a 'Moment.' 

• Like 1

My least favorite part of this season was easily coach comeback. I would have liked the season better if it didn’t happen. It doesn’t help that I already didn’t really care for the artists they brought back. Anyway, the reason why I hate the S10 comeback so much was because it ruined what could have possibly been one of the my favorite coach T3s of all time. Alisan was obviously going to get the first PV for that team, but out of all of the talent artists on that team, the suspense was who would be getting the second. Nick Hagelin got the PV, who was easily my least favorite on that team. The fact that this resulted in Ryan’s elimination made me very frustrated, since he was one of my early favorites that season and I wanted him to go deep into the season. I didn’t care for Daniel either, but I disliked Nick more, plus Team Christina was a lot more stacked than Team Pharrell in my opinion. He might actually be my least favorite contestant to ever make Top 12/13, and this was the most frustrating playoff result of all time for me. I’m glad they picked better people when they brought it back in S12 and S13, even if none advanced past playoffs. The other negative is that Emily shouldn’t have been the first person eliminated in the T12. I wasn’t a huge fan of her run, but that performance was plus I considered other contestants at that point to have worse bodies of work. 

These are pretty much the only complaints I have about this season though. Especially since I was content with Semis and Finale results this season