Actors & Actresses Rankdown 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

Sean Penn

Sean Penn - Wikipedia

I don't know if the allegations against Sean Penn regarding domestic violence are true. Despite the eyewitness testimony from the police and the police reports at the time, it may have all been greatly exaggerated since it was the late 80s and it involved an A-list married couple and tabloids were out of control at that time. Madonna divorced him immediately after the incident, but she also dropped all the charged against him and says that the allegations about him tying her up and beating her with a baseball bat are not true. Madonna continues to associate with Sean to this day. Beyond all that, there are a ton of proven allegations against Sean Penn, mostly involving him getting mad and punching people. Sean is a very decorated actor and has contributed to some great works but I could never see past the antics

Save Nicolas Cage

28 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

You need to find a way to watch Black Bird if you haven't yet!

I’m already subscribed to quite a few streaming services, and I don’t think adding Apple TV+ will be feasible for me. And I already had a trial version a while ago.

Jared Leto

Jared Leto - Rotten Tomatoes

I think it's fairly uncontroversial to say that this guy seems like he would be massively unpleasant to be around. He is known for being in the band Thirty Seconds to Mars and also I think for being a giant toolbag. He likes to do method acting, AKA being really annoying for the sake of """""""art""""""" or whatever. I think it's important to take yourself seriously but he operates on a whole nother level. He has an Oscar for the Dallas Buyers Club which I saw and thought he was great in. But that's not enough to save him today 

Janelle Monae

janelle.jpg

Still up and it's midnight here, so I'll make a cut. We just finished a mini-rankdown dedicated to Janelle Monae! She's undoubtedly one of my favorite current female singers and one of the few with hip-hop stylings that I enjoy. However, this is an acting rankdown and I don't think she deserves to last too long based on her limited discography. The only thing I've seen her in was season 2 of Homecoming, and it killed what enthusiasm I had for season 1 and I wasn't enthused with her performance. Haven't seen anything else she's in and it doesn't seem to have rated particulrly well for the most part. She's known as a singer and not necessarily as an actress so out she goes.

Save: Brenda Blethyn

Sofia Vergara

sofia-vergara_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqZgEkZX3M936N5BQK4Va8RTgjU7QtstFrD21mzXAYo54.jpg

I was gonna go to bed but I've got a Scientologist to save first 👀. I like Sofia Vergara! How can you not? She seems like a really likable person and she and Joe Manganiello is one of the hottest celebrity couples ever. Unfortunately I do not know her outside of Modern Family at all. Sofia plays Gloria on Modern Family. She does a great job with the character, received four Emmy nominations for it, and is totally deserving of the acclaim. I think the character's a bit one note though, I don't know how much versatility she has an actress. I believe she's a judge on America's Got Talent so she may even be stepping a bit away from acting to do judging and presenting. She's playing Griselda Blanco, a drug cartel kingpin in an upcoming Netflix miniseries so I think that'll be a good test of her skills. I'll be rooting for her and the project to do well. But right now with really just one good role under her belt, this is an easy late night cut to make.

Save Elisabeth Moss 👀 She was born into it y'all she can't leave it without dumping her parents!!!!!!!!! I believe in her she will escape one day!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Julia Garner

440px-Julia_Garner_in_2020,_cropped.jpg

I think most of the actress here are much better than the actors so it was difficult to find someone to cut from that list. After going though some of the unknown names,  I ended up choosing Julia Garner as it doesn't seems she would be a top favorite from someone. Looking at her films, the only one I've seen is The Perks of Being a Wallflower but I watched that a long time ago and I can't remember her on it. Additional films include:

Year Title Role Notes
2011 Martha Marcy May Marlene Sarah  
2012 Electrick Children Rachel McKnight  
2012 The Perks of Being a Wallflower Susan  
2012 Not Fade Away Girl In Car  
2013 We Are What We Are Rose Parker  
2013 The Last Exorcism Part II Gwen  
2013 Hair Brained Shauna Holder  
2014 I Believe in Unicorns Cassidy  
2014 Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Marcie  
2015 Grandma Sage  
2016 Good Kids Tinsley  
2017 Tomato Red Jamalee Merridew  
2017 One Percent More Humid Catherine  
2017 Everything Beautiful Is Far Away Rola  
2019 The Assistant Jane  
TBA Apartment 7A Role undisclosed Post-production
TBA You Can't Win Chicken Post-production
TBA Little Sparrow Madonna Pre-production

I do actually remember Julia for her small 10-episodes-arc on season's 3 of The Americans where she played Kimmy, the daughter of the head of the CIA's Afghan group. The storyline was a bit heavy as it involved Phillip trying to recruite Kimmy, an underage girl about the same age as her daughter. Luckily, it didn't go too far as far as I remember.

Julia has a main role on Ozark and Inventing Anna, two shows that I assumed it's where her popularity comes from. I haven't watched them though so I have no attachment to her.

Saving: Rachel Weisz

Will Smith

440px-TechCrunch_Disrupt_2019_(488344346

I think I've made my feelings know about Will Smith's roles and I just don't enjoy his filmography and when you add the fact that he slapped a man on national television trying to defend her woman pride and then somehow her wife got buried with all the hate from his actions, so that just make this cut way easier.

Yes, The Fresh Prince of Bel-air will always be iconic but other than that, his other stuff is meh. The Pursuit Of Happiness might be his greatest acting but I do think the films is overrated. I didn't watch King Richard and I don't have the wish to do it tbh, so let me know if the award was deserved. 

I need more words so I'm gonna list the films fro Will that I've watched: Independence Day, Men In Black, Wild Wild West, Men In Black II, Shark Tale, Hitch, The Pursuit of Happiness, I Am Legend and Suicide Squad. I might have watched bits from others.

Saving: Adam Sandler who I fear might get cut otherwise

• Like 2

tumblr_n7o9g5zlIO1sjq8ulo1_500.gif

When looking at the list, there's one name that sick out for being out of his league among some of the greatest actors of our lifetimes & that actor is Justin Hartley.  He first came onto the scene in 2002 as an actor on Passions, a soap opera airing on NBC - my apologies to Justin but Jesse Metcalfe remains my favourite actor to come from Passions, in my opinion. He went on to appear in Smallville on CW after starring in a show that did not picked-up by the same network, and he continued to star in other CW shows including Emily Owens, MD and Hart of Dixie.  He eventually scored a major score on ABC's Revenge - considered to be a primetime soap opera. After Revenge's cancellation, he went on to appear in another soap opera known as The Young and the Restless until he joined This Is Us which was his major role. On This Is Us, he played Kevin and he was always one of my lesser favourite from the show...   As you can see, despite a career that started more than 20 years, his resume is not a great length & I find that his roles are pretty much similar to each other - he's good at what he does aka playing one of the pretty boy, but he has never impressed me & he's certainly one of my lesser favourite in this rankdown so apologies to any of his fans. 

SAVING: LILY RABE

PerfectWatchfulButterfly-max-1mb.gif

My next cut is Eva Mendes, an actress that never really impressed me & if I could name you more than 4 movies that she starred in, at top of mind, it would be a miracle.  Many individuals would know her for being married to Ryan Gosling - one of the actors that did incredibly well in the last rankdown - but she's also known for her acting.  She apparently started acting in the 1990s where she scored small roles which led to her starring in Training Day in 2001 which was a success. She went on to appear in 2 Fast 2 Furious, Hitch, Ghost Rider - I think I've only seen Hitch out of those, as the other two don't interest me whatsoever.  One of the film that most people may know her for is The Place Beyond the Pines in which she starred in prior to We Own the Night, and Last Night. It seems that she hasn't really been acting in a while, and I also feel that she's bit out of depth compared to the other actresses in the rankdown.

SAVING: CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER

12 hours ago, Steven_ said:

Apologies that the game is starting late in the day. Since it's starting late, only for today I'll let the two cuts for today roll over to tomorrow if you don't get them posted within the next few hours.

Reminder for those that didn't get any cuts posted last night.

• Like 1

Tom Cruise

Top Gun: Real Military History of the Tom Cruise Film | Time

If we're cutting actors and actresses just because we don't like what we know about their personal lives, then Tom Cruise is an easy first cut for me. Tom was born in 1962 and rose to fame in the 80s. His role in Top Gun in 1986 set him up as one of the biggest names in Hollywood and his career just continued to flourish. He is definitely more of an action star but has had many toles in more meaty, dramatic movies such as Born on the Fourth of July, A Few Good Men, Magnolia, Jerry Maguire, etc. His role in the Mission Impossible Franchise was iconic and is probably what people most think of when his name comes up. As for his acting skills, I'm whelmed by him. I always get him mixed up with Mark Wahlberg lmao but I really liked him in Eyes Wide Shut. I do NOT care for him because of his views on Scientology, so for that reason I am cutting him here.

SAVE: Oscar Isaac

• Like 2

Jennifer Lopez

Jennifer Lopez Just Wore A Sheer Lace Bodysuit On Instagram—The Internet Is  Losing It Over This Lingerie!

Don't get me wrong, I really like JLo overall. Well, I like her well enough. I think she's a multi-talented queen but honestly her biggest strengths to me lie in her looks and her dancing/performance skills. As an actual artist (especially an actor), I'm a bit more lukewarm on her. Even in Hustlers which almost garnered her an Oscar nom, I thought she was Just Fine in it. Like I could still tell that she was ~trying~ to be a stripper and I don't feel that she fully disappeared into the role. And everything else I've seen her in has just been....well very subpar to say the least. :haha: Her most remembered roles (for better or for worse) have been in Gigli, Monster-In-Law, Selena, Out of Sight, and more. But I don't think she's really talented enough to make it farther in the game. SOWWY Wally!

Save: Scarlett Johansson ❤️ 

• Like 1