Films of the 2000s Rankdown

Alex95

the-descent-51234a74d385e.png

tumblr_poiywaQDaP1xlv8m3o4_540.gif

This cut should be no surprise considering that I am not an individual who is a big fan fan of horror movies, and out of the nominees, it is sadly the only film that I feel comfortable with cutting.  Released in 2005, this horror film was written and directed by Neil Marshall.  The plot of this horror movie is the one of six women who enter a cave where they have to fight for survival against a humanoid creature located inside of the cave.   I am sure if this is your preferred genre, you would really enjoy this movie - it has a 86% approval rating on RottenTomatoes while the audience score is of 76% ; It seems there was a sequel but it was definitely not as good.  At the end of the day, it comes to a question of personal taste which unfortunately this is a movie that doesn't speak to me - the gifs from the film that I've seen were certainly not for me. Congrats to it for making it to this point, though! 

SAVING: CHICAGO

• Sad 3

Mysterious Skin (2005)

Mysterious skin.jpg

A film with LGBT themes that Dee didn't try to cut immediately??? That is so unlike him!!! This movie has an unpleasant premise about child sex abuse. Two young boys, one gay and one not, get abused by their little league coach. The movie follows them into young adulthood and we see the differing effects that it had on them. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is plays one of the boys and Brady Corbet plays the other. Grooming, abuse, homosexuality, sex work, rape, AIDS, violence. This movie has it all. If I'm being honest I thought it was kind of a random pick for the Top 10 of 2005 but somehow it has lasted all the way to the Top 40ish, so congrats to all the fans. This didn't get a lot of love from award organizations but apparently psychologists have praised it for being accurate about long-term effects of child abuse. 

Save Memento.

• Sad 2

Doubt

Doubtposter08.jpg

I am not too thrilled to be making this cut because I thought Doubt might fly under the radar all the way to the end, but alas that was not meant to be. Diredcted by John Parick Stanely and released in 2008, Doubt takes place in Sister Aloysius' (playd by Meryl Streep) St. Nicholas Catholic school where changes are occurring. Father Flynn (played Philip Seymour Hoffman), a charismatic priest, is advocating for reform of the school's strict traditions, and the first black student Donald Miller (played by Joseph Foster) has just been accepted. When a fellow nun (played by Amy Adams) tells Sister Aloysius that Father Flynn may be paying too much attention to Donald, Sister Aloysius begins a personal crusade against the priest despite no evience to suport these claims. I love Viola, Meryl and Amy's performances in this movie, especially Viola's, but I think I love Viola's performance the most while the movie itself isn't a huge favorite of mine so unfortunately it will be my casualty this round

Save: Monster

• Sad 3

Gosford Park (2001 dir. by Robert Altman)

GosfordPark-3.gif

Not a cut I want to make, but I guess a fair cut at this point? IDK. This is a hard one to make! Murder mysteries are the absolute best when done right and Gosford Park is an example of a murder mystery done right. Based on the French film La Règle du jeu, Gosford Park is a black comedy mystery film written by Julian Fellowes of Downton Abbey fame, which initially was planned as a spinoff of this film, but eventually ended up as a separate product inspired by this film. This is very much an Agatha Christie style story that touches on classism and elitism, as this story is interestingly told from the perspective of the servants in the manor.

The cast of characters are defined as those above the stairs and those below the stairs. The ensemble cast is very British/English, but also very stacked. Maggie Smith, Eileen Atkins, Michale Gambon, Kristin Scott Thomas, Camilla Rutherford, Charles Dance, Geraldine Somerville, Tom Hollander, Natasha Wightman, James Wiley, Claudie Blakley, Jeremy Northam, Bob Balaban, Laurence Fox, Clive Owen, Kelly Macdonald, Helen Mirren, Alan Bates, Emily Watson, Derek Jacobi, Richard E. Grant, Jeremy Swift, Sophie Thompson, Ryan Phillippe, Meg Wynn Owen, and Stephen Fry all star in the film. So very stacked indeed.

The film was a huge hit critically. Metecritic score is 90/100 and approval rating on RT is an 87%. This film is basically a game of Clue with social commentary, which is right up my alley. The cinematography and social commentary are highlighted as the standout aspects of the film, which went on to earn seven Academy Award nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actress for both Mirren and Smith, Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography, and even snagged a win for Best Original Screenplay. The film is often cited as one of the best of the decade and is certainly one of my favorites. I am so sad to see it go but happy that Tom and I (mostly Tom) were able to advance the film this far.

SAVING: Almost Famous

• Sad 1

RIP to Mysterious Skin, which is one of my favorite films, and I was quite shocked to see it still standing when I joined the Rankdown, as it is very indie and I was not sure how many of the rankers had seen it. It is a HARD film to watch, but it is a very real depiction of the aftermath of child sexual assault. 💔

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Steven's Noms Posted)

Drag Me To Hell

I find it quite interesting alot of the Disney and Pixar films are being cut because the films had their chance to shine in their own rankdown but nothing about the 3 horror rankdowns or whatever this site has had.

Drag Me To Hell was released in 2009. And has a very strong impressive 92 percent on rotten tomatoes. It is a good film for horror film standards but I just find the irony too strong not to cut it now.

Although it does have my underrated fav Justin Long in it so I did second guess my choice but here we are. I like the other movie I was left with more so unfortunately for Drag Me To Hell it's time has ended. Strong placement for it though.

Saving The Others 

Edited by *Diana

• Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana’s Noms Next)
  • Alex95 changed the title to Films of the 2000s Rankdown (Diana’s Noms Posted)