Noah Thompson Fan Thread

Idol Maniac

20 hours ago, Hbrue123 said:

Can you copy and the paste the article I can't access it due to not being in the US.

Yes. The entire interview is copied and pasted below.

by Lee Ward
lward@dailyindependent.com
Louisa
05/27/22

Before Noah Thompson won this season of “American Idol,” Karen Thompson already knew he was different.

“I always said there was something special about him,” said Thompson, 70, his grandmother who raised him from age 3. “It was like he was never a kid. He had an old soul.”

The singer grew up in Blaine, and loved music from the beginning, trying to sing before he could talk.

“He could always carry a tune, even when he was little,” his grandmother said. “He loved music and we’d sing together in the car on the way to school. He’d say, ‘Play it again, Mawmaw,’ and I’d say, ‘I can’t. It was on the radio.’”

She noted the young man’s father is a musician, so he was exposed to music nearly constantly and likely inherited his talent.

He also attended Trinity Christian Academy, which is affiliated with the First Baptist Church of Louisa, starting in the 3-year-old program, and performed in a skit during his time there. He entered public school when he was 10.

Thompson said her grandson was a funny child and always had lots of energy, but was never one to seek attention.

“He’s shy and not outgoing, so (appearing on television) was a lot,” she said.

And he struggled.

“There were times he thought, ‘I can’t do this, I don’t want to do this, I miss my home and my family,’” she recalled. “It was hard on him, but he made up his mind he was going to finish. I was amazed and proud to find out everybody loved him, the same as I do.”

From the beginning, she said he was impressed with the other contestants.

“He thought maybe he would perform a few times,” she said. “There were some amazing voices there and Noah was in awe of their talents. He’s humble and he doesn’t see himself the way others do.”

She said she has always loved hearing him sing, but she wasn’t convinced he would win “American Idol.”

“(His voice) is soothing to me, but I’m close to him, so you wonder if everybody else is going to think the same way,” she said.

Enough voters in the audience agreed Noah Thompson is special and he was named the winner of the 20th season on ABC’s “American Idol” on Sunday. Since then, Thompson has been embraced by the area and his grandmother is stunned by the support.

“It’s amazing the love and support of everybody here,” she said. “This town’s incredible, anyway. If anything is wrong, people step right up and are there for you. I don’t think I knew there were so many people here!”

Thompson traveled to California to visit with her grandson for the Mother’s Day episode and to see the finale in person, but got to see Noah very little.

“They have a very, very tight schedule. They get up early and work late,” she explained. “After he won, they whisked him away.”

She said that trip was very quick and included COVID-19 testing for visitors.

“It was very rushed. We didn’t have time to rest and only got to see Noah for a few minutes,” she said. “It was an amazing experience. Katy Perry was amazing. She held Walker (Noah’s son) and he went right to her.”

While the show is over, Noah will have a musical career in front of him.

“It’s still hard to take it all in,” she said. “It’s like this is not happening to us.”

For now, Noah is back home in Louisa, awaiting word about the next step, whether it’s a tour or recording or promotional appearances.

But Karen Thompson would have been satisfied regardless of the outcome of the show.

“He was just an amazing little boy. There was just something so special about him,” she said. “Regardless of what happens in life, raising him was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Edited by RTV

1 hour ago, RTV said:

Interesting read...I do had that feeling that after Idol, Noah wants to "lay low" for a bit and spend time with his family and friends. Besides, Arthur took the initiative to sign him up to audition in the first place -- not himself. But the fact that he actually said that he does not want to be a "pop-country" artist makes me feel relieved in a sense. I hope it doesn't backfire on his fans though. It'll take sometime to have that experience. "One Day Tonight" is doing really well for him. Someone mentioned in the comments section that SiriusXM is going to start spinning that song soon. I don't know how accurate that is. 

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Gmm99 said:

Interesting read...I do had that feeling that after Idol, Noah wants to "lay low" for a bit and spend time with his family and friends. Besides, Arthur took the initiative to sign him up to audition in the first place -- not himself. But the fact that he actually said that he does not want to be a "pop-country" artist makes me feel relieved in a sense. I hope it doesn't backfire on his fans though. It'll take sometime to have that experience. "One Day Tonight" is doing really well for him. Someone mentioned in the comments section that SiriusXM is going to start spinning that song soon. I don't know how accurate that is. 

Clearly, Noah never expected to win after being tricked into auditioning. During interviews since the finale, Noah has mentioned wanting to stay home for a while. This whole experience has been overwhelming for him, and being away from family was difficult for all of them. So I understand spending some time out of the spotlight.

But if his dream or goal is a music career, I hope Noah doesn't wait too long to pursue it. Wasting the momentum he gained from American Idol would be a shame. The national exposure and the success of his single are most beneficial right now while he's fresh on people's minds. The song getting radio play will help, but it will still require effort and work on Noah's part—just like any other job. He should continue doing interviews and making promotional appearances. He needs to post covers on social media / TikTok and to be more active online than he has been. It's always a good idea to make hay while the sun shines.

Edited by RTV

2 hours ago, RTV said:

Clearly, Noah never expected to win after being tricked into auditioning. During interviews since the finale, Noah has mentioned wanting to stay home for a while. This whole experience has been overwhelming for him, and being away from family was difficult for all of them. So I understand spending some time out of the spotlight.

But if his dream or goal is a music career, I hope Noah doesn't wait too long to pursue it. Wasting the momentum he gained from American Idol would be a shame. The national exposure and the success of his single are most beneficial right now while he's fresh on people's minds. The song getting radio play will help, but it will still require effort and work on Noah's part—just like any other job. He should continue doing interviews and making promotional appearances. He needs to post covers on social media / TikTok and to be more active online than he has been. It's always a good idea to make hay while the sun shines.

Definitely with you on this one -- strike when the iron is still hot. However, I'll say this about Noah ...during the season, I haven't gotten that impression that he wants to have a "serious" music career. I mean (and adding to your first point), he is the type to not realize his own talent. Even after winning, I am not quite sure that he has realized it fully yet. He just sings as a hobby it seems while focusing in his construction job. His IG page was just made during the season...and the only cover he posted is his audition song -- which was during the pre-taped shows.

As a fan, the only thing I want from Noah is be his authentic self when it comes to his music. Again, reading that interview made me feel excited with what songs he intends to release. If he wants to have that shot in having success however, ride along with "One Day Tonight" first -- and release songs that are "adjacent" to it along with just posting social media exclusive covers / originals.

Edited by Gmm99
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gmm99 said:

Definitely with you on this one -- strike when the iron is still hot. However, I'll say this about Noah ...during the season, I haven't gotten that impression that he wants to have a "serious" music career. I mean (and adding to your first point), he is the type to not realize his own talent. Even after winning, I am not quite sure that he has realized it fully yet. He just sings as a hobby it seems while focusing in his construction job. His IG page was just made during the season...and the only cover he posted is his audition song -- which was during the pre-taped shows.

As a fan, the only thing I want from Noah is be his authentic self when it comes to his music. Again, reading that interview made me feel excited with what songs he intends to release. If he wants to have that shot in having success however, ride along with "One Day Tonight" first -- and release songs that are "adjacent" to it along with just posting social media exclusive covers / originals.

I agree with everything you wrote. Noah apparently isn't one of those singers who dreamed from childhood about becoming a big star. Not everyone is cut out for that role or wants that lifestyle, which is perfectly fine. Regardless, winning American Idol has given Noah an opportunity for a career change that he probably would not have had otherwise. He now has a decision to make about what direction his future will take. If Noah intends to attempt building a successful career in music, I'd encourage him to start sooner rather than later.