SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL5) (Round 5)

.Rei

NL2 RESULTS PART ONE

20. Marleen Suurmeijer & Virgil Bonofacio - "I'm In Love Again" - (Viennese Waltz by Euvgenia Parakhina)

7f7xdn.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

@totes4totes -11

@kritaaay - 14

Public - 16 (   @Zoey - 1, @*Chris - 20, @Erestor - 20)

@.Rei - 18

@Deeee - 18

@FrogLenzen - 20

@taylorkat - 20

Avg. Score = 16.71

COMMENTS

Megan

These damn sleeves! Anyway, Euvgenia (and Peter!) are some of the best standard ballroom choreographers in any version of the show. They have a real talent for making these like typically "less exciting" ballroom dances really entertaining. Marleen and Virgil just have very nice chemistry. I really enjoy this. Again a shame that Marleen got out early because she feels like the only ballroom dancer aside from Ivan on this series that really had a chance to go far.

Kriti

Apart from the weird… um, pennants, I guess, on Marleen’s wrists, this routine was actually really good? The Benelux seasons rarely cast ballroom dancers and I think Marleen was one and really brings her expertise to the routine.

Public

Zoey

Stunning. Beautiful. Perfect. 

Rei

When it comes to ballroom dancers the Benelux season didn't deliver that much to be honest. Ivan is excellent of course but other than him no one else wasn't that memorable. Now that I'm rewatching Marleen again, she might be the best female ballroom of that series for sure. I like that there was a lot of waltz content in this routine and Marleen did pretty great despite the unfortunate dress issue. Having said that Virgil kinda drag this down so I couldn't really rank it any higher.

Derek

not the tentacle dress lol. A little skippy

19. Shiobian Dumas & Kris Loix - "Miss Independent" - (Lyrical Hip-Hop by Vincent Vianen)

7f7xyi.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Public - 10 (Chris-6, Zoey-8, Patryk-18)

Rei - 15

Megan - 16

Gigi - 18

Derek - 18

Dee - 19

Kriti - 19

Avg. Score = 16.43

COMMENTS

Rei

Kris is such a joy to watch at hip hop. I liked this a lot even if it wasn't the most groundbreaking hip hop ever and I also thought that Shiobian held her own.

Megan

Okay, I had this higher and then lowered it because I hate how long they are in the chairs and then if I was giving letter grades, I'd knock off a whole point for the like weird shoe proposal! When they were actually in choreography it was good.

Derek

fine

Kriti

That part at the start where the camera randomly focused on a part of the stage behind them both drove me insane why are their camera operators like this. Anyway the routine took a bit too long to get going but when it did, I had fun.

18. Marleen Suurmeijer & Virgil Bonofacio - "Ordinary People" - (Lyrical Hip-Hop by Vincent Vianen)

7f7ys4.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Public - 3 (Chris-4, Zoey-5, Patryk-12)

Derek - 14

Megan - 15

Gigi - 17

Rei - 19

Dee - 20

Kriti - 20

Avg. Score = 15.43

COMMENTS

Derek

mostly cute. the song helps

Megan

Marleen, a queen who got 100% of her routines in this rankdown ❤️ For those of you who don't know or don't remember, Marleen almost made the Top 18 but then had to withdraw during bootcamp due to injury so essentially Ine took her spot. Before the liveshows began, Ine got injured so Marleen came back to partner with Virgil but then during Top 14 week, Marleen got injured and so recently eliminated Saartje took her place. (NL2 had a lot of injuries and it would be interesting to see a show that had Virgil/Marleen and Oona/Lorenzo in tact until like Top 12). Anyway, Virgil is excellent and Marleen is good enough not to detract. Overall pretty good!

Rei

I think in this case the roles were reverse and Virgil did much better than Marleen. But now seeing Marleen in these two routines make me wish that she hadn't have gotten injure and could have been longer in the competition. This is lower than their waltz just because Marleen at waltz was better than Virgil at hip hop.

Kriti

Megan this is the most Nappytabs routine that isn’t choreographed by Nappytabs, how did you move this on. Also this seems like a really hard song to dance a hip-hop to, idk. Anyway Virgil is underrated.

17. Oona de Cleyn & Remy Tilburg - "True Colors" - (Jazz by Laurent Flament)

7f7z9l.gif

Watch Here

RANKINGS:

Kriti - 12

Rei - 14

Megan - 14

Dee - 14

Public - 15 (Zoey-4, Chris-15, Patryk-19)

Gigi - 19

Derek - 19

Avg. Score = 15.29

COMMENTS

Kriti

This was an extremely by-the-numbers SYTYCD contemporary (Laurent wyd and how is this jazz) but oh my stars was it a pretty one. I’m glad Oona and Remy have some representation on this list because I thought they were underrated.

Rei

This is probably the closest to the US contemporary that what we normally got on the NL seasons. I think this was pretty nice and Oona had also a very nice strong technique, something that didn't happen that often on the NL series (Derek can tell you more about :haha:)

Megan

Thrilled that Oona and Remy got a routine through but I wish it were their hip-hop instead. I am a HUGE Remy fan because he's beautiful and he's very good outside the show. This is very pretty.

Derek

kind of juvenile choreo and that one light was driving me crazy but it had one or two good moments

1 hour ago, .Rei said:

Oona had also a very nice strong technique

In TUDB she makes it to the stage to audition in front of the choreographers and Dan almost has a meltdown when she is just simply reserved (by Laurent) rather than outright chosen for a team. He's like "They all say they like her and they don't choose her?????? What are they thinking??????"

She ends up not getting chosen. Which honestly, Team Laurent probably could have used her so bad decision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Rei said:

Laurent wyd and how is this jazz

Laurent either does these terrible jazz routines. But it's important that before "contemporary" became a genre on the US show, basically all the contemporary routines we saw were classed as "lyrical" because 90% of them are just lyrical jazzes.

Just now, totes4totes said:

Laurent either does these terrible jazz routines. But it's important that before "contemporary" became a genre on the US show, basically all the contemporary routines we saw were classed as "lyrical" because 90% of them are just lyrical jazzes.

I believe it's @JC who once explained that "jazz" on the Benelux show looks more like our contemporary

• .Rei changed the title to SYTYCD Routines Mini-Rankdown (NL2) (#20-#17 Posted)