Artists that are singing competition killers.

Misirlou

Bruno Mars.

There is no way to sing an uptempo song from him and don't flop, unless you can REALLY pull it off.  Even the ones that didn't were eliminated after singing his uptempo songs (Chris Blue, Jej Vinson, and Mike Jerel) gave really meh performances with them, and my opinion, the last two shouldn't have advanced over their opponents in Cross-Battles/Knockouts, respectively, after giving such mediocre performances.

• Like 2

Bruno was the first that came to mind, but he got mentioned upthread. 

Artists with songs that require a lot of range/vocal control/breath support/emotiveness/charisma all at the same time are generally hard to do well.

Female artists that come to mind as the killer artist - Mariah Carey was the first that popped into my head, so I’ll roll with that. 

Another one that comes to mind as a killer - it’s not an artist so much as a song by the artist, but as of this point in the show’s history only one artist has successfully won a Cross Battle/Knockout or gotten a chair turn doing Alanis Morisette’s You Oughta Know.

3 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

Bruno Mars.

There is no way to sing an uptempo song from him and don't flop, unless you can REALLY pull it off.  Even the ones that didn't were eliminated after singing his uptempo songs (Chris Blue, Jej Vinson, and Mike Jerel) gave really meh performances with them

Uh . . . what?  Chris won his season.

1 minute ago, Gustavo527 said:

I don't know how that contradicts my point. As far i knew, winners can have "meh" performance too, and that performance of Chris was a "meh" performance, at least vocally. 

Ah, I didn't get the wording in your post prior to his mention.  Might wanna check that.  But I think I understand now.

And Chris charted pretty high with it, anyway, so I hardly think that he was "meh."

4 minutes ago, Rodney said:

Ah, I didn't get the wording in your post prior to his mention.  Might wanna check that.  But I think I understand now.

And Chris charted pretty high with it, anyway, so I hardly think that he was "meh."

chris is possibly an exception because he i think can do uptempo songs better than many. however, i preferred a lot of his other performances to 24k magic

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I'm sorry, i'm not an English native speaker so maybe my posts can be confusing, but i'm trying to do my best, i promise.

What i'm trying to say is that, his performance of 24k Magic was vocally "meh", in comparison to other of his performances (like "Love on the Brain", vocally, he killed that), so, i personally don't enjoy hearing it. Yeah, he can dance, he can perform, but that performance does nothing for me. During that season, i always preferred his performances where he used all his vocal potential, instead of just focusing on the visuals (and i hate that song, so it's very probably i'm biased)

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 1