Pandora's Box: A Random Idol Rankings Thread

Crisis

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Yeah, in a singing competition (something the judges, especially Simon liked to harp on), the voice is pretty important. 

As luck would have it, Simon wasn’t present during Season 13, unless you count wannabe Harry Cowell Jr. 😅 Also, I thought Randy was the one who always said that! :haha: 

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

I just felt bad for Jasmine because everyone knows that was a song LaToya introduced herself to the audience with and that Jasmine wouldn't compare to it. Plus, it served as a reminder that LaToya was eliminated the week before.

Oh yeah, I forgot that LaToya of all people SLAYED that song in the semis! :duh: What a great reminder to the public of the Top 4 results show. :giggle: 

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Between her and Scotty, maybe I should've auditioned (despite not being the best at carrying a tune) just for a slight chance to be kissed by J-Lo, or in Casey's case, kiss her myself. :dead:

If you get the chance, watch Thomas Stringfellow’s audition from Season 15. He was literally begging for a kiss! :haha: 

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

i see what you did there GIF

🤣 at quoting Kara every opportunity you get! I'll ignore that Megan diss (though to be fair, I've dissed Gabby quite a bit, so I'll let you have that one 😅). I thought Adam did really well with his performance, plus it was one of the few in which he didn't shriek. As for Allison's performance, I pretty much agree with most of what was written. 👍

I’ve officially declared September 3rd “Allison Iraheta Day” because of her wonderful performance! 😅 It’s a special @Bk1234 holiday. 🚨 Also, I might quote Kara’s comment for another submitted performance, so brace yourselves everyone. 🚨  

Edited by Bk1234

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

I'm still debating whether or not to do that one; I'll wait until I'm finished with this ranking before my final decision. If I do decide to go through with it, the offer still stands. :haha: With that said, I take it that this is an official request?

I probably could, especially since I'm re-watching the performances to see if my original opinions are the same. :haha: Looking back at the submissions, I think there was as well; however, I don't believe I listed it yet if it's any consolation, so it's in my Top 15. Although The Prayer is one of my favorite Jessica performances, I'm not sure where it would rank among the others, so it was probably better not listing it. :haha:

I watched the first season and enjoyed it. I watched the first episode of the second season but got busy with other things and didn't get to watch the rest of it or the third season. Please no spoilers; I don't know if my heart could take it. 💔 :haha: I was already spoiled on one of the contestants of the second season because of the other thread, but I'm in the dark regarding the others, so it should be OK, plus I get to ogle Nicole Scherzinger some more:haha:

Okay, the choice is yours. :haha:  I don't know if I'm making it an official request or not. Should I? :dead: 

Yes, I forgot and messed up. :haha: I was hoping to list some of my favorites that you were a big fan of as well, but yes, true it hasn't shown up yet. ❤️ Oh, well then I guess I'm glad. :haha:  

Yay! I loved it too and it's only gotten better for me. 😄 Oh no, I am sensitive to spoilers and don't want to ruin anything for you. I hope I didn't say anything in the other thread, but I may have without meaning to since that season was on last year and I didn't know it would be a spoiler. :blushingwave: I don't think what I said here should spoil anything, but I couldn't contain myself. :haha: I won't say who anyone is or even what costumes I'm referring to though. I am curious to see your thoughts.  Aww I love Nicole too (although not like that :giggle: ) 

4 hours ago, Crisis said:

023. It was certainly a standout despite me not caring for the song. When re-watching this performance, I actually forgot Gwen Stefani was a mentor during the week, so I just had to mention her because I know how much you enjoy it. ;) :haha:

017. I want to say I've been lurking since S5 because that's when I really started to get invested in Idol. At the time, I was on and off and didn't really start to become a serious lurker until around S12 or so. I believe I actually registered last year, but due to confirmation issues with old IDF, my account wasn't official. As for the comments on Maddie's performance, fair enough.

:dead: the Gwen comment! It's my favorite thing. :giggle: 

Wow that's so long to lurk! 😮 I wonder what all you witnessed during those years. :giggle:  There was definitely a lot of fun and drama on here, especially back during those seasons. Ah yeah, that was a problem with the old version of the forum. :( I'm glad you finally joined and are here now! 😄 

13 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I sent Don’t Cry Out Loud as well, and as @Crisis knows, I was very close to submitting a certain performance from Season 5. :giggle:

Oh oops! I did wonder if any of us had submitted the same performances, so yay for that one. 😄 Aww I wonder which that could be. :shiftywave: 

9 hours ago, psterina said:

027. Siobhan Magnus - Superstition   My fav, and my favorite performance from her. Her pure enjoyment up there, as well as connection to the song, with the audience, musicians, & TV audience is so great. Oh ... and of course her vocals. As a rocker myself .... I also love the scream. :P  I just love this!!  💖 🥰🥰

026. David Archuleta - Angels -   He sang with a lot of emotion. Slight pitchyness in a couple of spots, but he really connected with the song, and it counts for a lot.

025. Vonzell Solomon - Best Of My Love -  Yeah.  Really great performance. 

024. Janelle Arthur - I Will   - Nice performance, but not a stand out for me

023. Skylar Laine - Wind Beneath My Wings - Skylar really went for it on this. Wow ! :thumbs:

022. Jessica Sanchez - Everybody Has A Dream - While Jessica wasn't a fav of mine, no doubt she can sing. This was a strong performance

021. Clark Beckham - It's A Man's Man's Man's World  Clark is talented. But for me, I don't feel it, and I don't feel like he really feels it. Connection is everything

027. Nice to see this is your favorite performance of hers! While she had performances I liked more, this was certainly one of her better ones.

026. I agree he connected well with the song and sang with a lot of emotion.

025. While not her best performance, it was a great one from her, so I agree there.

024. Fair enough.

023. She certainly did go for this one! :yes:

022. Your thoughts pretty much echoes mine regarding her.

021. Fair enough about him.

8 hours ago, psterina said:

020. Jessica Meuse - The Crow & The Butterfly - Jessica was my fav that season, and The Crow & The Butterfly was my favorite performance (Blue Eyed Lie, was a sliver away)

019. Diana DeGarmo - Don't Cry Out Loud - Wonderful performance, and ... while being so young

018. Jena Irene - Can't Help Falling In Love - Jena was my 3rd fav that season. I too, wanted Jessica in the Top 3, over Jena. With that said ... this is a very strong performance from her

017. Maddie Poppe - Homeward Bound - My fav that season, and my favorite performance from her (although several other performances of hers, were a sliver away) She has a very strong presence here, as well as  major connecting to song, audience, TV audience

016. Allison Iraheta - Papa Was A Rolling Stone - Allison is so amazing. Connecting with songs, and audiences, at her young age. She was my 2nd favorite, just behind Adam. 

020. That's right, you mentioned Jessica was your S13 favorite in the other thread (great minds think alike!). Nice to see this was your favorite performance of hers.

019. Agree with everything here.

018. Agree with almost everything here. This was a very strong performance of hers indeed.

017. This was my favorite performance of Maddie's as well. I agree with her having a very strong presence as well as connecting to the song and all audiences. :yes:

016. She certainly is amazing, especially with her connecting with songs and audiences at her age at the time.

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

As luck would have it, Simon wasn’t present during Season 13, unless you count wannabe Harry Cowell Jr. 😅 Also, I thought Randy was the one who always said that! :haha: 

Oh yeah, I forgot that LaToya of all people SLAYED that song in the semis! :duh: What a great reminder to the public of the Top 4 results show. :giggle: 

If you get the chance, watch Thomas Stringfellow’s audition from Season 15. He was literally begging for a kiss! :haha: 

I’ve officially declared September 3rd “Allison Iraheta Day” because of her wonderful performance! 😅 It’s a special @Bk1234 holiday. 🚨 Also, I might quote Kara’s comment for another submitted performance, so brace yourselves everyone. 🚨  

Yeah, Harry tried to be the tough judge; however, unlike Simon he took himself way too seriously and completely lacked the charm and charisma Simon had. Randy is the main one who said that, but I remember Simon saying it after a few of Taylor's performances.

It was certainly a great reminder to the public. I wouldn't put it past Clive for him to deliberately sabotage Jasmine given his track record.

I re-watched his audition and maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything that indicated he was begging for a kiss (though I wouldn't have blamed him if he did). If he waited to audition until at least S16, I'm sure Katy would've been more than happy to oblige. :giggle:

🤣 at September 3rd being a @Bk1234 holiday, AKA Allison Iraheta Day! I have a feeling I know which performance would spawn the Kara comment. :giggle:

19 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Okay, the choice is yours. :haha:  I don't know if I'm making it an official request or not. Should I? :dead: 

Yes, I forgot and messed up. :haha: I was hoping to list some of my favorites that you were a big fan of as well, but yes, true it hasn't shown up yet. ❤️ Oh, well then I guess I'm glad. :haha:  

Yay! I loved it too and it's only gotten better for me. 😄 Oh no, I am sensitive to spoilers and don't want to ruin anything for you. I hope I didn't say anything in the other thread, but I may have without meaning to since that season was on last year and I didn't know it would be a spoiler. :blushingwave: I don't think what I said here should spoil anything, but I couldn't contain myself. :haha: I won't say who anyone is or even what costumes I'm referring to though. I am curious to see your thoughts.  Aww I love Nicole too (although not like that :giggle: ) 

:dead: the Gwen comment! It's my favorite thing. :giggle: 

Wow that's so long to lurk! 😮 I wonder what all you witnessed during those years. :giggle:  There was definitely a lot of fun and drama on here, especially back during those seasons. Ah yeah, that was a problem with the old version of the forum. :( I'm glad you finally joined and are here now! 😄 

It would certainly help; this way I'll know if I'll be wasting my time or not. I've been fortunate with the categories thus far. 🤞 :haha:

OK, that's good it hasn't shown up yet. I can't promise when it'll show up, however. 😬

I think there was something said; however, I was spoiled when looking for a picture to use for a certain contestant's write-up, so it would've happened before anyone said anything. :haha: Thank you for at least trying not to spoil anything. I may post my thoughts on the other seasons in here; I'm still deciding whether to do it or not. Nice to see you love Nicole; though she wasn't that good in the first season of the US X-Factor as well as hearing and reading some not-so-flattering things about her in other capacities, I liked her from what I saw (in more than one way of course :giggle:) on The Masked Singer.

I knew you would get a kick out of me mentioning Gwen again. :dead:

I witnessed a lot during the years. I was there for the S5 fan wars, other meltdowns (such as Pia's elimination), the rankings lists (which inspired me to do one despite almost not going through with it), redoes, RE sections, etc. It's too bad a lot of it is gone now. I most likely would've registered back then; however, I was active at other boards and didn't want to be active at too many boards at one time. The other boards have since gone away, and I realized I liked talking Idol in the forums, so I finally decided to register here. Thank you and I'm glad I'm here as well! 😁

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

I re-watched his audition and maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see anything that indicated he was begging for a kiss (though I wouldn't have blamed him if he did). If he waited to audition until at least S16, I'm sure Katy would've been more than happy to oblige. :giggle:

I thought it seemed like he had a HUGE crush on Jennifer. 😅 I’m sure he wouldn’t have minded a kiss. :haha:

Edited by Bk1234

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I thought it seemed like he had a HUGE crush on Jennifer. 😅 I’m sure he wouldn’t have minded a kiss. :haha:

To be fair, it certainly appeared he had a huge crush on her (again, not that I blame him :haha:). I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have minded a kiss as well, as well a number of people outside of her hundreds of ex-husbands. :haha:

My classes started and I already have a bunch of schoolwork to do. Between that and working full-time, it'll be difficult for me to post rankings on a consistent basis. With that said, I'll find a way to work things out and will try to have the next five performances up some time tonight. 

• Like 1

15. David Archuleta - Imagine

At #15 we have the second of Archie's performances from the provided list. This is considered to be his signature song on Idol. Though I feel both versions (Top 20 and Finale) are slightly overrated, they  are among his best performances. Though I have posted his semi-finals version, I actually prefer his finale version more. While he was more technically sound in the semis, I felt he sounded stronger and more connected in the finale; then again, it may have had to do with the acoustics being different. One thing I appreciated about both versions was the music was provided by a simple acoustic guitar, which allow Archie's voice to be front and center. Overall, both versions of Imagine are performances the Arch Angels can be proud of.

14. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing)

Up next is the first of the three I (Who Have Nothing) performances. While all three of them are great in their own right, one has to appear first and unfortunately, Jordin drew the short straw. I felt Jordin had established herself as a potential dark horse the week before with If We Hold On Together. However, she announced her official arrival with this gem the following week. I (Who Have Nothing) is a big, dramatic, and mature song, so when I learned Jordin was going to sing it, I wondered how she would do. The answer: she pretty much knocked it out of the park. The vocals and the emotional connection was all there, plus she had a strong presence on stage; all of this when SHE. WAS. ONLY. SEVENTEEN (channeling my inner Randy there 🤭)! On a night with some strong performances, this was head and shoulders above them all and helped establish Jordin as a contender (while pretty much overtaking LaKisha) who would go on to eventually win the whole thing.

13. Carrie Underwood - Alone

Considered to be one of the greatest performances in Idol history, Carrie Underwood's version of Alone is the next to appear. Carrie was seen as this wholesome, down home, country girl-next-door (who just happened to be - and still is - a total knockout) who stayed in her country lane, that is until Top 11 when she decided to step out of her comfort zone and tackle the great late 80s Heart rock ballad. Needless to say, the risk paid off big time. Carrie really sounded strong on this number, looked confident, and broke out of her shell some; she even rocked (pun intended) the look of an 80s rock star. Also, I have to give props to the backup singer who played a huge role in this performance. At first, I thought this was overrated and felt Jessica Sierra gave a better performance that night; however, I have since come to my senses and understand why it is one of the most celebrated Idol performances of all time (hers and Jessica's are now tied as far as my favorite performances of that week are concerned).

12. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine

While I liked Kris enough during S8, I wasn't a die-hard fan of his or anything like that. With that said, I definitely preferred him to Danny and Adam and rooted for him after Allison's elimination. In addition, he gave a few performances I enjoyed, with one of them being Ain't No Sunshine. Although I like the finale version better, I posted his Top 9 version because I feel this was the performance that showed Kris had a serious change to do damage and upset the apple cart that season. For starters, the arrangement was fresh and at the time current; it definitely gave new life to the 70s soul classic and showcased his great musical instincts.. In addition, while Kris wasn't the strongest singer, he had some really nice vocal moments in this performance, plus it appeared he really felt the song. He would take everything he applied here and improve on it during the Top 2. Either way, it was certainly one of his best performances of the season.

11. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water

While I can't say I agree with the title of the video, Bridge Over Troubled Water was certainly a great performance, and I thought it clinched the crown for Clay that season. After two OK, perhaps even underwhelming numbers, Clay definitely saved the best for last here. First, the arrangement was on point with the choir, giving a nice gospel feel to the song, which definitely worked for it. Then there was Clay who was vocally strong throughout the song. His vocal complimented the choir perfectly, and there was a strong connection coming from him, which is critical for a song of this nature. I thought Ruben was in serious trouble when it was all said and done; however, that wasn't the case as he went on to win the following night. Nonetheless, it would've been understandable if Clay won the title after this strong performance.

015. David Archuleta - Imagine

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing)

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Remaining Performances:

Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There
Blake Lewis - You Give Love a Bad Name
David Cook - Billie Jean
Kris Allen - Heartless
Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black
Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)
Pia Toscano - I’ll Stand by You
Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love
Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing)
Candice Glover - Lovesong

Down to the final ten! I'm not sure when they'll be posted; in the meanwhile, have at it for the current set.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Crisis said:

15. David Archuleta - Imagine

Aah, this was definitely Archie’s defining moment on the Idol stage. :clap: While I still preferred his performance of Angels, this was definitely a performance that all Archie fans were proud of. 🙂 I definitely agree with your point about the simple guitar playing and how it truly allowed Archie’s voice to shine. I think it also created a peaceful, calming setting on the stage. 👍 You might be surprised by which performances surpass it as it does not rest at #11 in this ranking. 🤔 

14. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing)

While this performance was very good, it is also my least favorite performance of I (Who Have Nothing). Jordin did an amazing job with honoring the meaning of the song, especially considering that she was only seventeen (you quote Randy, I quote Kara 🤷‍♂️). Unfortunately for me, I enjoyed other performances more than I enjoyed this one, so I ranked it a bit lower than you did. 🙁 

13. Carrie Underwood - Alone

This performance and Katharine McPhee’s Over the Rainbow were very close to being selected for my Top 10. 😬 In an overall performance ranking they rest just outside my Top 10. 👍 Needless to say, this performance didn’t make the cut, so I’m happy that someone else chose it! 😁 I just love this performance so much. The vocals were great, Carrie’s stage presence was outstanding, and I loved the orchestra and back-up vocalists. :wub:  I can’t find a reason why isn’t in my Top 10, besides that it just isn’t. 😅 You’ll be surprised to see that this one is not at #11 in this ranking either. 🙂

12. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine

“I’ve got three words for you: That is artistry!” :giggle: I mean come on! The arrangement alone deserves a trophy, regardless of how the vocals sounded. 😅 I absolutely loved the modernized arrangement, plus the vocals were very good. 🙂 This was also a defining moment in Kris’ underdog story because like you said, he emerged as someone who could potentially take the crown (which thankfully he did, as he was my favorite from the season.) Overall, it’s one of my Top 10 performances of all-time, and the second one that led to a great, quotable comment from Kara! :haha:

11. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water

This would have probably made my Top 10 if it hadn’t been for some of Clay’s actions and if I hadn’t re-watched it. 😅 After a re-watch, I released that the only thing that made the performance so great were the back-up singers. 😱 Clay’s vocals were actually quite bland by themselves. I ranked this one a little lower than you did because of this. 😕

My Ranking (UPDATED):

2. Jessica Sanchez- Everybody Has a Dream 

3. Allison Iraheta- Papa Was a Rollin’ Stone

4. Diana DeGarmo- Don’t Cry Out Loud

6. Kris Allen- Ain’t No Sunshine

7. Skylar Laine- Wind Beneath My Wings

8. David Archuleta- Angels

9. Jena Irene- Can’t Help Falling in Love

10. Janelle Arthur- I Will

12. Carrie Underwood- Alone 

13. David Archuleta- Imagine

15. Clark Beckham- It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World

18. Clay Aiken- Bridge Over Troubled Water

19. Jordin Sparks- I (Who Have Nothing)

23. Maddie Poppe- Homeward Bound

24. Jessica Meuse- The Crow and the Butterfly

25. Vonzell Solomon- Best of My Love

27. Siobhan Magnus- Superstition

Edited by Bk1234

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Aah, this was definitely Archie’s defining moment on the Idol stage. :clap: While I still preferred his performance of Angels, this was definitely a performance that all Archie fans were proud of. 🙂 I definitely agree with your point about the simple guitar playing and how it truly allowed Archie’s voice to shine. I think it also created a peaceful, calming setting on the stage. 👍 You might be surprised by which performances surpass it as it does not rest at #11 in this ranking. 🤔 

While this performance was very good, it is also my least favorite performance of I (Who Have Nothing). Jordin did an amazing job with honoring the meaning of the song, especially considering that she was only seventeen (you quote Randy, I quote Kara 🤷‍♂️). Unfortunately for me, I enjoyed other performances more than I enjoyed this one, so I ranked it a bit lower than you did. 🙁 

This performance and Katharine McPhee’s Over the Rainbow were very close to being selected for my Top 10. 😬 In an overall performance ranking they rest just outside my Top 10. 👍 Needless to say, this performance didn’t make the cut, so I’m happy that someone else chose it ! 😁 I just love this performance so much. The vocals were great, Carris’s stage presence was outstanding, and I loved the orchestra and back-up vocalists. :wub:  I can’t find a reason why isn’t in my Top 10, besides that it just isn’t. 😅 You’ll be surprised to see that this one is not at #11 in this ranking either. 🙂

“I’ve got three words for you: That is artistry!” :giggle: I mean come on! The arrangement alone deserves a trophy, regardless of how the vocals sounded. 😅 I absolutely loved the modernized arrangement, plus the vocals were very good. 🙂 This was also a defining moment in Kris’ underdog story because like you said, he emerged as someone who could potentially take the crown (which thankfully he did, as he was my favorite from the season.) Overall, it’s one of my Top 10 performances of all-time, and the second one that led to a great, quotable comment from Kara! :haha:

This would have probably made my Top 10 if it hadn’t been for some of Clay’s actions and if I hadn’t re-watched it. 😅 After a re-watch, I released that the only thing that made the performance so great were the back-up singers. 😱 Clay’s vocals were actually quite bland by themselves. I ranked this one a little lower than you did because of this. 😕

My Ranking (UPDATED):

6. Kris Allen- Ain’t No Sunshine

12. Carrie Underwood- Alone 

13. David Archuleta- Imagine

18. Clay Aiken- Bridge Over Troubled Water

19. Jordin Sparks- I (Who Have Nothing)

015. Happy to see you agree about this being Archie's defining performance. 😄 I also agree about the guitar playing creating a peaceful and calming setting on stage, which helped enhance the mood of the song.

014. I just emphasized the quote because Randy would repeat it ad nauseam during the season. 🤭 Fair enough about everything else.

013. Pretty much agree with everything here. However, I'm not sure where I would rank it in my overall performances. 🤔

012. I knew this would be the performance that Kara would be quoted on. I thought about quoting it myself; however, I decided to be nice and leave it alone. 🤭 I agree with almost everything written here.

011. Fair enough. I thought Clay's voice and the choir complemented each other well which enhanced the overall performance. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

015. David Archuleta - Imagine  -   Really great performance. Imagine, is my favorite performance by him. Also ... for so young, to be emoting like that, is amazing!

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing) - What an amazing voice!!! Even though, Candice Glover, is my fav for this song. It's easy to see why Jordin won her season

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone - Taking on Heart (My fav band, who I have seen live 7 times), a very brave thing to do, and  Carrie did amazing!! 

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine - He truly did make it his own. And while Adam was my fav, Kris really got creative with his songs, and it's something I admire in a performer, very much!

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Love his vocal tone.  He really built this up, to an amazing level. Plus, it's one of my favorite songs on the planet

4 hours ago, psterina said:

015. David Archuleta - Imagine  -   Really great performance. Imagine, is my favorite performance by him. Also ... for so young, to be emoting like that, is amazing!

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing) - What an amazing voice!!! Even though, Candice Glover, is my fav for this song. It's easy to see why Jordin won her season

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone - Taking on Heart (My fav band, who I have seen live 7 times), a very brave thing to do, and  Carrie did amazing!! 

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine - He truly did make it his own. And while Adam was my fav, Kris really got creative with his songs, and it's something I admire in a performer, very much!

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water - Love his vocal tone.  He really built this up, to an amazing level. Plus, it's one of my favorite songs on the planet

015. Yes, it certainly was amazing for him to emote like that at such a young age. 👍

014. Agree about her having an amazing voice. Performances like these helped her win her season.

013. It was a brave thing to do indeed. Ann Wilson is one of the greatest singers to walk the planet (lucky you getting to see Heart live 7 times 😄), so for Carrie to do this song justice says a lot.

012. I agree about Kris getting creative with his songs and him truly making this song his own.

011. Agree about him building this performance up to an amazing level. 👍

I have labs to do tonight, so I won't have the next set up until tomorrow evening at the earliest. 😐

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 6:13 AM, Bk1234 said:

So the thread is basically where IDF suggests American Idol topics for @Crisis to rank. This current topic that will be starting soon asks IDF to PM @Crisis their top 10 favorite American Idol performances, so they can compile a list of everyone’s favorites, and rank them. Hopefully this helped clear things up! 😊

oh got it, so we do not rank anything, boo I was hoping to join in the fun!

4 hours ago, SwimmerStud87 said:

oh got it, so we do not rank anything, boo I was hoping to join in the fun!

Some of us (when this idea for a contest came up), submitted our personal Top 10 performances to Crisis, via Personal Message on IDF, and from there, he ranked our Top 10's. You can comment on all of the performances, as they get ranked by Crisis. All but the final Top 10, of his rankings,  are up for viewing & commenting. So, you can still participate in that way. 

And then, when this one is done, there might be a new contest. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2020 at 7:37 PM, Crisis said:

It would certainly help; this way I'll know if I'll be wasting my time or not. I've been fortunate with the categories thus far. 🤞 :haha:

I think there was something said; however, I was spoiled when looking for a picture to use for a certain contestant's write-up, so it would've happened before anyone said anything. :haha: Thank you for at least trying not to spoil anything. I may post my thoughts on the other seasons in here; I'm still deciding whether to do it or not. Nice to see you love Nicole; though she wasn't that good in the first season of the US X-Factor as well as hearing and reading some not-so-flattering things about her in other capacities, I liked her from what I saw (in more than one way of course :giggle:) on The Masked Singer.

I knew you would get a kick out of me mentioning Gwen again. :dead:

I witnessed a lot during the years. I was there for the S5 fan wars, other meltdowns (such as Pia's elimination), the rankings lists (which inspired me to do one despite almost not going through with it), redoes, RE sections, etc. It's too bad a lot of it is gone now. I most likely would've registered back then; however, I was active at other boards and didn't want to be active at too many boards at one time. The other boards have since gone away, and I realized I liked talking Idol in the forums, so I finally decided to register here. Thank you and I'm glad I'm here as well! 😁

I feel like I'm on a game show, like "is that your final answer?" :dead:  But I'll have to think about this.

Ah, that's too bad, but at least it wasn't anyone in particular's fault. I hope you can still enjoy the season. :yes:  Okay, I would at least be interested in you sharing with me. ❤️  Aw, I still liked her on TXFUS, but I think she's done much better on the UK show. I liked her from her music career, but loved her on Dancing With the Stars. She was incredible on there and that's what really made me a fan. I also then realized she's an amazing singer and more so than I knew from The Pussycat Dolls. She's very fun on The Masked Singer. :haha: The whole panel is great together. 

:giggle:  

Ooh wow, those are some great memories. :wub: I wonder if you saw any of my lists, redos, or reduxes. :haha:  Ugh, so much lost work. :broken:  It's too bad the other boards are gone now too, but nice that it was the push you needed to join us here. ❤️ :hug: 

015. David Archuleta - Imagine: This will probably always be my favorite Idol performance. ❤️ It's so special to me. I completely forgot you thought it was overrated when I submitted it, but I still appreciate your positive thoughts. Interesting you prefer the finale version! I agree the arrangement was so beautiful and truly highlighted his wonderful vocals. ❤️ Love the Arch Angels mention too. ❤️ 

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing): This was one of the two biggest standout performances for me that season. The first performance of this song... and seems to be your least favorite, although it's still my favorite. :haha:  It was definitely Jordin's most mature performance yet and her vocals and connection amazed me so much. I never get tired of listening to it.

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone: Another performance that slayed me and this one was so unexpected. :wub:  This is also another one I played on repeat like crazy and never get over it. :haha:This proved that Carrie really can sing anything and her vocals were so effortless, yet powerful. Amazing. ❤️ 

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine: I agree on the arrangement and how it was fresh and showed Kris's artistry. ❤️ This is one of his signature performances for me, even though another one in particular is THE signature one. :giggle: But this song fit him so well and was a standout moment in a season full of them. And fun to learn this is another one you prefer the finale version of. :haha: I tend to always like the original best.

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water: I agree his vocals, connection, and arrangement were all fantastic and this was truly a winning performance for me. ❤️ I loved a lot of Clay performances, but this was one of the biggest highlights. I also love the studio version of it. 

Time for the Top 10! Let's see which performances are ranked next...

10. David Cook - Billie Jean

At #10 we have a performance from the S7 winner. This is considered to be David's signature performance on Idol, either this or Always Be My Baby. For the Top 10, David decided to take on this Michael Jackson classic; however, Chris Cornell did a haunting rock cover of his own (may they both RIP) and that was the version David opted to do. Needless to say, he made the right decision because it definitely suited his style better. The darker heavier arrangement fit his vocals like a well-tailored suit, and he certainly had a strong stage presence on this performance. Finally, there was that held note towards the end that showcased his vocal prowess. While it's understandable Billie Jean is considered to be his best performance, it is personally my second favorite; however, it's still one of David's best, that's for certain.

9. Kris Allen - Heartless

I actually had Billie Jean here and Heartless at #10, but I decided to swap them. Kris had established himself as a contender at this point; however, there was still thoughts that the fight for the S8 crown would come down to Adam and Danny. Kris, however, had other plans. He decided to take this R&B/hip-hop tune and turn it into an acoustic number. It was a huge gamble; however, it was one that allowed him to beat the house. The arrangement was spot on, and he had some really nice vocal moments throughout the performance as well. This is considered to be the most clutch performance in Idol history; I don't know if I would go that far, but I think it certainly helped in propelling him to the finale where of course he would go on to win the whole thing.

8. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black

At #8 is Siobhan's Top 12 number. With the great staging, dark haunting arrangement, and dynamic vocals, I felt more than anything this is what epitomized Siobhan at her very best. She absolutely had a strong presence and gave a very strong performance. I liked how soft it started before going into the next gear for the rest of the performance. I felt she showcased just about every level of her range perfectly. I mentioned in her Superstition performance I wasn't a fan of her scream there; however, it was absolutely perfect for this number. Finally, the way she ended the performance using her head voice was a thing of beauty. In the end, Paint It Black was my favorite performance of the night, one of my favorite performances of the season, and my personal favorite of Siobhan's.

7. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You

Pia was a very strong (not to mention very beautiful) singer who I felt never gave a poor performance during her unfortunately short Idol stint. Though all of her performances were considered to be strong by many Idol viewers, her semi-finals number I'll Stand By You is considered to be her signature performance, and it's easy to see why. She showcased some really strong vocal moments during it, plus it appeared she connected to the song really well though I'll only speak for myself regarding that claim. There were some complaints she shouted at the end; however, I didn't think it was all that bad. Another complaint about Pia was she lacked stage presence; however, I thought she had a strong presence here. With everything said, I thought Pia had the best performance of the week (including the guys) and overall I'll Stand By You is my second favorite performance of hers.

6. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing)

I think Candice is one of the best singers Idol has ever had, and she showcased this throughout her S12 winning run. One of her best performances was her Top 10 rendition of I (Who Have Nothing). In addition to being pretty much spot on vocally, she was able to display the range of emotions needed for the song; I certainly felt the longing from her during the song. She came out and showed everyone she wasn't playing around and was wanting that crown (hey that rhymes 😂). To me, it was head and shoulders the best performance of the night; however, as brilliant as this performance was, here we have another case in which I preferred the finale version. That performance was nothing short of spectacular as she took a great number and somehow made it even better. If I were ranking that version, it would definitely be in the Top 5. However, the Top 10 version is definitely nothing to sneeze at.

010. David Cook - Billie Jean

009. Kris Allen - Heartless

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing)

Remaining Performances:

Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There

Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name

Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing)

Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love

Candice Glover - Lovesong

Down to the last 5! I'm not sure when I'll rank them. For those who've been paying attention in both of my threads, #1 is a no-brainer. We'll see where the other four will line up...

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

I feel like I'm on a game show, like "is that your final answer?" :dead:  But I'll have to think about this.

Ah, that's too bad, but at least it wasn't anyone in particular's fault. I hope you can still enjoy the season. :yes:  Okay, I would at least be interested in you sharing with me. ❤️  Aw, I still liked her on TXFUS, but I think she's done much better on the UK show. I liked her from her music career, but loved her on Dancing With the Stars. She was incredible on there and that's what really made me a fan. I also then realized she's an amazing singer and more so than I knew from The Pussycat Dolls. She's very fun on The Masked Singer. :haha: The whole panel is great together. 

Ooh wow, those are some great memories. :wub: I wonder if you saw any of my lists, redos, or reduxes. :haha:  Ugh, so much lost work. :broken:  It's too bad the other boards are gone now too, but nice that it was the push you needed to join us here. ❤️ :hug: 

015. David Archuleta - Imagine: This will probably always be my favorite Idol performance. ❤️ It's so special to me. I completely forgot you thought it was overrated when I submitted it, but I still appreciate your positive thoughts. Interesting you prefer the finale version! I agree the arrangement was so beautiful and truly highlighted his wonderful vocals. ❤️ Love the Arch Angels mention too. ❤️ 

014. Jordin Sparks - I (Who Have Nothing): This was one of the two biggest standout performances for me that season. The first performance of this song... and seems to be your least favorite, although it's still my favorite. :haha:  It was definitely Jordin's most mature performance yet and her vocals and connection amazed me so much. I never get tired of listening to it.

013. Carrie Underwood - Alone: Another performance that slayed me and this one was so unexpected. :wub:  This is also another one I played on repeat like crazy and never get over it. :haha:This proved that Carrie really can sing anything and her vocals were so effortless, yet powerful. Amazing. ❤️ 

012. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine: I agree on the arrangement and how it was fresh and showed Kris's artistry. ❤️ This is one of his signature performances for me, even though another one in particular is THE signature one. :giggle: But this song fit him so well and was a standout moment in a season full of them. And fun to learn this is another one you prefer the finale version of. :haha: I tend to always like the original best.

011. Clay Aiken - Bridge Over Troubled Water: I agree his vocals, connection, and arrangement were all fantastic and this was truly a winning performance for me. ❤️ I loved a lot of Clay performances, but this was one of the biggest highlights. I also love the studio version of it. 

Don't think too hard about it; as I said, I'll wait until I'm done with this ranking before crossing that bridge.

Yeah, it happens; speaking of spoilers, one thing I plan on doing for the upcoming season is not watch any Idol episodes until the semi-finals start, which means I probably won't be all that active on the boards at the beginning of the season so I can avoid any spoilers. Back to The Masked Singer, I would like to share my thoughts; however, I don't think this thread is the right place for it and I don't have any idea where to share them. 🤷‍♂️ As for Nicole, the main thing I remember about her on TXFUS is the backlash she received over Rachel Crow's elimination. It's nice to see she's doing better in the UK version; I think I've watched an episode or two, but I'm not sure which season it was. I agree with you on her being an amazing singer. :yes:

Unfortunately, I don't think I remember seeing any of your lists or redos. :( The main one I do remember is Wallace's finalist list after S15. With that said, I would be more than happy to read and participate if you create anything new. 👍 It is a shame that so much work is lost after all those years; however, there will hopefully be new work for the future and they will be better preserved. Thank you for the last sentence. :hug:

015. Despite my feelings of it, I'm happy it was submitted especially seeing how special it is to you. ❤️ I thought he was more emotionally connected in the finale version which is why I preferred it to his semi-finals version. I remember that was the name of his fan base, so I thought I'd mention it here. 😄

014. I have a feeling I know what the other standout performance of that season was. :shiftywave: I agree about it being Jordin's most mature performance. Here is one performance in which I prefer the original to the finale version, in which I thought she tried to do too much. Good to see you never get tired of listening to it. 😁

013. Completely agree about it being unexpected; I didn't think Carrie had it in her to pull off a performance like this. It certainly did prove Carrie could sing anything.

012. I agree about it being one of his signature performances and the song fitting him so well. It was certainly a standout from that season. Understandable about preferring the original version.

011. Agree about this being a winning performance and it being one of Clay's biggest highlights. I don't believe I ever heard the studio version of it, however.

I made it through. My list is 1-27 instead of 27-1. But here it is. Hopefully it isn’t too big.

1. Elise Testone (Whole Lott’s Love)- Gosh why did you make me decide between Elise and Haley. I ultimately opted for Elise as I felt like this performance was my favorite idol performance of all time. It had scats, growls, and somehow she didn’t miss a more. Elise Testone was a freaking beast on this. She’s in my top 5 idols of all time so no surprise that her best performance ranks number 1 on my list. 

1. Haley Reinhart (I (Who Have Nothing)- You ask me to find a bridge between Candice and Jordin and then some. Cue Haley. This had the technicality of Candice, the vulnerability of Jordin done in the signature Haley Reinhart style. Just wow. I’m out of words. Oh that’s right Haley is my favorite all time idol. 

1. Kelly Clarkson (Stuff Like That There)- It takes a Kelly Clarkson type of singer to straight up go into a style like Big Band. Incredible performance. Vocally insane. Is she human? If you ask me I’d say no. She’s Kelly Clarkson. 

1. Candice Glover (Love Song)- Some people say this is the best performance ever on the show. I like Candice but let’s be real her best performance can’t stand against Haley or Kelly who are on another level. This was really really good but a bit too loungey for my taste but that’s just my opinion. The vocal though was flawless. 

1. Kris Allen (Heartless)- The winner and even performance I’d go as far to say that kicked off the endless streak of WGWGs on Idol. This performance was so rearranged that the song sounded if it was Kris’s original song. Iconic. 

1. David Cook (Billie Jean)- Speak about an idol iconic performance. This is when Idol got a bit more vibrant with unique versions of songs. This is one of the best rearrangements on idol ever. Love this performance. His voice just cuts right through it. 

1. Jordin Sparks (I (Who Have Nothing)- Jordin was the one to make this song iconic on singing shows. That shows how much she nailed it. She poured her heart and soul and just slayed it. 

1. Candice Glover (I (Who Have Nothing)- Don’t know if this unpopular but I’m ranking Jordin above Candice. I loved Candice’s performance but it seemed a bit more in your voice. I liked the vulnerable side of Jordin’s. Candice May be a bit superior vocally but I’m siding with Jordin)

1. Pia Toscano (I’ll Stand By You)- Pia had the voice of a past diva. It’s as if she was born in the wrong decade. She would’ve been an 80s or 90s Star. This performance displayed her wonderful tone. She went home far too soon and this proves that she can stand with the idol greats. 

1. Carrie Underwood (Alone)- Carries most iconic idol performance. The reason why I just can’t place this higher as some say it’s too 5 is she didn’t really make this unique but the vocal is so good that it didn’t really matter. What a smart song choice and everyone still talks about this performance. 

1. Blake Lewis (You Give Love a Bad Name)- He wasn’t the best vocalist but he was super cool and viewers probably saw past that because he sold his performances so well. He knew how to be creative and stand out. This was one of the most fun performances ever on idol. I think I’ll put it here. 

1. Clay Aiken (Bridge Over Troubled Water)- This is now just a matter of picking what iconic performance I liked better. This was very good. And the choir arrangement was on point. There’s something about Clay that never really clicked (I didn’t watch the show at the time) when I go back. Still this performance was outstanding. 

1. David Archuleta (Imagine)- What an incredible performance. His tone is truly special. This wasn’t over the top but just a genuine killer vocal. 

1. Jena Irene (Can’t Help Falling In Love)- This performance displayed how pure and clear Jena’s tone could be. Her vocals were inconsistent but this proved that she could be a force to be reckoned with. So good. 

1. Clark Beckham (Mans World)- This was insane. Right when he was on the verge of going over the top with a growl, he mixed in crazy high notes. This performance is just sensational although not my favorite taste wise or stylistically. 

1. Maddie Poppe (Homeward Bound)- This was signature Maddie Poppe folksy ballad. Very pure. Very nice. Not my favorite from Maddie but it came straight from the heart and I think I’ll place it here. 

1. Siobhan Magnus (Paint It Black)- This performance is overrated in my opinion. Yes it was good. Yes she should’ve been a contender to win the season. The vocal just didn’t wow me as much as the performances I’ve placed ahead of it. She did know how to take a song and put some theatrics in it though. 

1. Allison Iraheta (Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone)- Call me crazy but I didn’t love this as much as some. The phrasing seemed a bit sloppy. I just felt at times she slurred the words. But yes her voice is incredible and she can belt it out. 

1. Jessica Sanchez (Everybody Has A Dream)- Okay no one ever questions if Jessica could sing. Some just found her over the top or overrated. This performance she was neither. Just wow. The vocal is fantastic even if I don’t think it was a stand out moment for her considering some of her other performances, my favorite being Stuttering. 

1. Kris Allen (Ain’t No Sunshine)- Maybe I’m going to get a bit of hate for this ranking but this was too smooth for me. I needed far more soul and passion. Her brought a bit of X factor to it but on a song like this I needed more. This was a very good vocal but didn’t do enough for me. 

1. Diana Degarmo (Don’t Cry Out Loud)- This was a first time listen for me. She’s got range. The song seems difficult. Her tone doesn’t stand out but what a vocal. I liked this just didn’t love it. 

1. Jessica Meuse (The Crow and The Butterfly)- This was pretty great but let’s be real, this isn’t on the level of Jessica Sanchez or Clark Beckham or many others. I was a huge Jessica fan but this wasn’t her best performance but it proved that grunge rock might suit her better than country. 

1. Skylar Laine (Wind Beneath My Wings)- I don’t even like this song and she made it enjoyable. What fantastic phrasing. Her tone shines here. Her vocal is unpredictable as always, a bit rocky in parts but solid for the most part. 

1. Vonzell Solomon (Best Of My Love) - This was fun. Yes some of those higher notes weren’t the most on point but this was super enjoyable. 

1. Janelle Arthur (I Will)- Her tone is just exquisite on this. But I have to look at this technically speaking and the biggest thing that she lacked during the show was range and here she also seemed to have too thin of a voice in portions. 

1. David Archuleta (Angels) -  Love the emotion but his voice seems a bit weak and thin on the low notes. The high belts have a lot of nice support though.

1. Siobhan Magnus (Superstition) - This was good but seemed a bit generic to me and lacked that extra oomph.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:22 PM, Crisis said:

10. David Cook - Billie Jean

After listening to this performance for the first time I didn’t really understand the craze. 😅 However, after listening to it again for this ranking, I loved it so much that I put it at #11. 😄 While it isn’t my 11th favorite performance of all-time, it still was an impressive one. Like you said, that held note was very impressive and really showed David’s vocal prowess, which is essential in a singing competition (time to quote Randy :giggle:). While I prefer Always Be My Baby, this performance is one of my favorites from David, so much so that I ranked it above Archie’s Imagine. 😱

9. Kris Allen - Heartless

While I really like this one, the studio version is what really got me into it, which I why I opted to not put it in my Top 10. If I was basing it off studio versions, this one would definitely be in my Top 10 though! :haha:  I’m so happy he came out swinging during Top 3 week, since an Adam/Danny finale would’ve been dreadful for me... 😅 His performance of Heartless is definitely the highlight of his underdog journey, so while it’s not my favorite performance from him, it is definitely a moment to be proud of! 😁👍 

Please listen to the studio version if you haven’t already, it’s AMAZING! 😍

8. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black

Definitely one of my favorite performances of Season 9. 👍 For some reason all the annoying things about Siobhan (screaming, etc.) just fit right in with this song and created a masterpiece. 😅 I loved the darker beginning, the intense high notes (👌), and the dark end. Overall, Siobhan’s dynamics really made this performance a great one. It is definitely my favorite performance from her! 😊

7. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You

I had hoped that this one would make Top 5, but unfortunately that isn’t the case. 😢 Pia’s performance of I’ll Stand by You is my favorite American Idol performance of all-time! 😍 Everything, from the vocals, emotional delivery, and stage presence was just spot-on!👌 For me, it was Pia’s defining moment, but you could argue that for any one of her performances since like you said, they were all good! 😅 Her swan song version was even more heart-wrenching, especially after she said “tears are in your eyes.” It was just a sad moment on that stage. 😭 Back to happier thoughts... This performance is what made me really love Pia, and for me, it rightfully deserves my #1 spot! 😁 

6. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing)

After two great performances of I (Who Have Nothing) had been done in earlier seasons, Candice still managed to come out swinging and SLAY! 😅 I really liked this arrangement of the song, and thought she did a good job of separating herself from the crowd. While Jordin’s had a more emotional approach, I thought Candice’s had a more vocal approach, though hers was no slouch when it came to emotional connection! 👍 After this ranking, I’m glad to see that we agree on our favorite I (Who Have Nothing) performance. 🙂

My Ranking (UPDATED)

1. Pia Toscano- I’ll Stand by You

6. Kris Allen- Ain’t No Sunshine

11. David Cook- Billie Jean

12. Carrie Underwood- Alone 

13. David Archuleta- Imagine

16. Candice Glover- I (Who Have Nothing)

17. Kris Allen- Heartless

18. Clay Aiken- Bridge Over Troubled Water

19. Jordin Sparks- I (Who Have Nothing)

21. Siobhan Magnus- Paint It Black

Looking at the spots left in my ranking and the performances that have yet to be ranked, it looks like our opinions differ quite a bit, except for one performance. 😅 

On 9/4/2020 at 12:24 AM, Blirel said:

The winner and even performance I’d go as far to say that kicked off the endless streak of WGWGs on Idol.

I think David Cook kicked off the WGWG Idol winners, but Kris is my favorite WGWG winner, so no harm in saying that. 😅 🤷‍♂️ 

Edited by Bk1234

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

After listening to this performance for the first time I didn’t really understand the craze. 😅 However, after listening to it again for this ranking, I loved it so much that I put it at #11. 😄 While it isn’t my 11th favorite performance of all-time, it still was an impressive one. Like you said, that held note was very impressive and really showed David’s vocal prowess, which is essential in a singing competition (time to quote Randy :giggle:). While I prefer Always Be My Baby, this performance is one of my favorites from David, so much so that I ranked it above Archie’s Imagine. 😱

While I really like this one, the studio version is what really got me into it, which I why I opted to not put it in my Top 10. If I was basing it off studio versions, this one would definitely be in my Top 10 though! :haha:  I’m so happy he came out swinging during Top 3 week, since an Adam/Danny finale would’ve been dreadful for me... 😅 His performance of Heartless is definitely the highlight of his underdog journey, so while it’s not my favorite performance from him, it is definitely a moment to be proud of! 😁👍 

Definitely one of my favorite performances of Season 9. 👍 For some reason all the annoying things about Siobhan (screaming, etc.) just fit right in with this song and created a masterpiece. 😅 I loved the darker beginning, the intense high notes (👌), and the dark end. Overall, Siobhan’s dynamics really made this performance a great one. It is definitely my favorite performance from her! 😊

I had hoped that this one would make Top 5, but unfortunately that isn’t the case. 😢 Pia’s performance of I’ll Stand by You is my favorite American Idol performance of all-time! 😍 Everything, from the vocals, emotional delivery, and stage presence was just spot-on!👌 For me, it was Pia’s defining moment, but you could argue that for any one of her performances since like you said, they were all good! 😅 Her swan song version was even more heart-wrenching, especially after she said “tears are in your eyes.” It was just a sad moment on that stage. 😭 Back to happier thoughts... This performance is what made me really love Pia, and for me, it rightfully deserves my #1 spot! 😁 

After two great performances of I (Who Have Nothing) had been done in earlier seasons, Candice still managed to come out swinging and SLAY! 😅 I really liked this arrangement of the song, and thought she did a good job of separating herself from the crowd. While Jordin’s had a more emotional approach, I thought Candice’s had a more vocal approach, though hers was no slouch when it came to emotional connection! 👍 After this ranking, I’m glad to see that we agree on our favorite I (Who Have Nothing) performance. 🙂

My Ranking (UPDATED)

Looking at the spots left in my ranking and the performances that have yet to be ranked, it looks like our opinions differ quite a bit, except for one performance. 😅 

I think David Cook kicked off the WGWG Idol winners, but Kris is my favorite WGWG winner, so no harm in saying that. 😅 🤷‍♂️ 

Yes I do agree with that. My statement was a bit flawed. 

9 hours ago, Blirel said:

I made it through. My list is 1-27 instead of 27-1. But here it is. Hopefully it isn’t too big.

1. Elise Testone (Whole Lott’s Love)- Gosh why did you make me decide between Elise and Haley. I ultimately opted for Elise as I felt like this performance was my favorite idol performance of all time. It had scats, growls, and somehow she didn’t miss a more. Elise Testone was a freaking beast on this. She’s in my top 5 idols of all time so no surprise that her best performance ranks number 1 on my list. 

1. Haley Reinhart (I (Who Have Nothing)- You ask me to find a bridge between Candice and Jordin and then some. Cue Haley. This had the technicality of Candice, the vulnerability of Jordin done in the signature Haley Reinhart style. Just wow. I’m out of words. Oh that’s right Haley is my favorite all time idol. 

1. Kelly Clarkson (Stuff Like That There)- It takes a Kelly Clarkson type of singer to straight up go into a style like Big Band. Incredible performance. Vocally insane. Is she human? If you ask me I’d say no. She’s Kelly Clarkson. 

1. Candice Glover (Love Song)- Some people say this is the best performance ever on the show. I like Candice but let’s be real her best performance can’t stand against Haley or Kelly who are on another level. This was really really good but a bit too loungey for my taste but that’s just my opinion. The vocal though was flawless. 

1. Kris Allen (Heartless)- The winner and even performance I’d go as far to say that kicked off the endless streak of WGWGs on Idol. This performance was so rearranged that the song sounded if it was Kris’s original song. Iconic. 

1. David Cook (Billie Jean)- Speak about an idol iconic performance. This is when Idol got a bit more vibrant with unique versions of songs. This is one of the best rearrangements on idol ever. Love this performance. His voice just cuts right through it. 

1. Jordin Sparks (I (Who Have Nothing)- Jordin was the one to make this song iconic on singing shows. That shows how much she nailed it. She poured her heart and soul and just slayed it. 

1. Candice Glover (I (Who Have Nothing)- Don’t know if this unpopular but I’m ranking Jordin above Candice. I loved Candice’s performance but it seemed a bit more in your voice. I liked the vulnerable side of Jordin’s. Candice May be a bit superior vocally but I’m siding with Jordin)

1. Pia Toscano (I’ll Stand By You)- Pia had the voice of a past diva. It’s as if she was born in the wrong decade. She would’ve been an 80s or 90s Star. This performance displayed her wonderful tone. She went home far too soon and this proves that she can stand with the idol greats. 

1. Carrie Underwood (Alone)- Carries most iconic idol performance. The reason why I just can’t place this higher as some say it’s too 5 is she didn’t really make this unique but the vocal is so good that it didn’t really matter. What a smart song choice and everyone still talks about this performance. 

1. Blake Lewis (You Give Love a Bad Name)- He wasn’t the best vocalist but he was super cool and viewers probably saw past that because he sold his performances so well. He knew how to be creative and stand out. This was one of the most fun performances ever on idol. I think I’ll put it here. 

1. Clay Aiken (Bridge Over Troubled Water)- This is now just a matter of picking what iconic performance I liked better. This was very good. And the choir arrangement was on point. There’s something about Clay that never really clicked (I didn’t watch the show at the time) when I go back. Still this performance was outstanding. 

1. David Archuleta (Imagine)- What an incredible performance. His tone is truly special. This wasn’t over the top but just a genuine killer vocal. 

1. Jena Irene (Can’t Help Falling In Love)- This performance displayed how pure and clear Jena’s tone could be. Her vocals were inconsistent but this proved that she could be a force to be reckoned with. So good. 

1. Clark Beckham (Mans World)- This was insane. Right when he was on the verge of going over the top with a growl, he mixed in crazy high notes. This performance is just sensational although not my favorite taste wise or stylistically. 

1. Maddie Poppe (Homeward Bound)- This was signature Maddie Poppe folksy ballad. Very pure. Very nice. Not my favorite from Maddie but it came straight from the heart and I think I’ll place it here. 

1. Siobhan Magnus (Paint It Black)- This performance is overrated in my opinion. Yes it was good. Yes she should’ve been a contender to win the season. The vocal just didn’t wow me as much as the performances I’ve placed ahead of it. She did know how to take a song and put some theatrics in it though. 

1. Allison Iraheta (Papa Was A Rollin’ Stone)- Call me crazy but I didn’t love this as much as some. The phrasing seemed a bit sloppy. I just felt at times she slurred the words. But yes her voice is incredible and she can belt it out. 

1. Jessica Sanchez (Everybody Has A Dream)- Okay no one ever questions if Jessica could sing. Some just found her over the top or overrated. This performance she was neither. Just wow. The vocal is fantastic even if I don’t think it was a stand out moment for her considering some of her other performances, my favorite being Stuttering. 

1. Kris Allen (Ain’t No Sunshine)- Maybe I’m going to get a bit of hate for this ranking but this was too smooth for me. I needed far more soul and passion. Her brought a bit of X factor to it but on a song like this I needed more. This was a very good vocal but didn’t do enough for me. 

1. Diana Degarmo (Don’t Cry Out Loud)- This was a first time listen for me. She’s got range. The song seems difficult. Her tone doesn’t stand out but what a vocal. I liked this just didn’t love it. 

1. Jessica Meuse (The Crow and The Butterfly)- This was pretty great but let’s be real, this isn’t on the level of Jessica Sanchez or Clark Beckham or many others. I was a huge Jessica fan but this wasn’t her best performance but it proved that grunge rock might suit her better than country. 

1. Skylar Laine (Wind Beneath My Wings)- I don’t even like this song and she made it enjoyable. What fantastic phrasing. Her tone shines here. Her vocal is unpredictable as always, a bit rocky in parts but solid for the most part. 

1. Vonzell Solomon (Best Of My Love) - This was fun. Yes some of those higher notes weren’t the most on point but this was super enjoyable. 

1. Janelle Arthur (I Will)- Her tone is just exquisite on this. But I have to look at this technically speaking and the biggest thing that she lacked during the show was range and here she also seemed to have too thin of a voice in portions. 

1. David Archuleta (Angels) -  Love the emotion but his voice seems a bit weak and thin on the low notes. The high belts have a lot of nice support though.

1. Siobhan Magnus (Superstition) - This was good but seemed a bit generic to me and lacked that extra oomph.

No worries, you're fine. 😉

1-4. I won't comment on these performances since I haven't ranked them yet.

5. I agree about Kris rearranging the song to where it sounded like it was an original of his.

6. I pretty much agree with everything here. It's just that I have one performance of his I have above it.

7. Again, agree with just about everything here.

8. Fair enough, though I liked Candice's interpretation of it as well.

9. I can see how she would've fit in the 80s or 90s. I agree about her performance and her going home too soon.

10. I see the point about not making it unique; however, the vocal was very good I concur.

11. I haven't ranked this yet, so I won't comment.

12. Agree about the performance being outstanding. Fair enough about something about Clay not clicking.

13. Agreed for the most part.

14. Fair enough about Jena. She was inconsistent, but this was one of her better performances.

15. Agreed about the performance. Fair enough about not being your taste stylistically.

16. Pretty much agree. The one place we differ is that it was my favorite of hers.

17. Fair enough about it being overrated. She definitely knew how to put some theatrics in a performance.

18. Fair enough.

19. Pretty much agree about the comments regarding Jessica. I agree about the performance though.

20. Fair enough about the performance needing more soul or passion. However, I still liked his take on the song.

21. Fair enough.

22. Pretty much agree, though I don't understand what role Jessica S. or Clark plays here.

23. Pretty much agree with everything here, especially not caring for the song.

24. Again, pretty much agree with everything here.

25. Fair enough.

26. Fair enough. I thought the high notes were good and supportive as well.

27. Pretty much agree though I thought she did enough with the performance for it to stand out.

@Bk1234, I'll comment on yours when I have the time. 👍

• Thanks 1

Cool ... at 5 of my Top 10, showing up on your Top 10. Three of them, showed up in this next batch. I also realized, that 2 of my Top 10 (Don't Know Why by Ashley Hess, & Straight Up by Andrew Garcia) didn't show up, as they weren't Finalist performances. When I submitted them, I didn't see the criteria. But .... they're still on my Top 10.

010. David Cook - Billie Jean  Yes, this performance is on my Top 10 for a reason. It was original & awesome. He knocked it out the park. 

009. Kris Allen - Heartless - Another great, creative performance by Kris. I do prefer "Ain't No Sunshine", but ... that's just me.

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black - This is my #2 favorite on my Top 10, just a sliver behind "Superstition", as it is an iconic performance, that generated videos of other performers, doing this version. Like they say "when someone copies you, it is the highest form of flattery". Siobhan IS an original. Everything about this performance is perfection.

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You - That Pia left so early, is totally INSANE. This performance shows, why that is.

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing) - Another one of my Top 10 shows up. This is most definitely my favorite version of this song. And ...  it gives me chills STILL, to this very day! While I love Jordin's & Haley's versions, this is on a higher plane, in my very humble opinion :P

8 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

My Ranking (UPDATED)

010. Fair enough about not getting the craze at first; there are a few performances that I felt that way about at first. 😯 at liking it so much it was placed above Archie's Imagine

009. I was happy he came out swinging as well because I don't know if I would've sat through a Adam/Danny finale either. I have not listened to the recorded version yet; I'll try to do so should I have the time.

008. I don't have much to say but agree with just about everything written.

007. Sorry. 💔 I wish there was room to put it in my Top 5; however, there are too many good/great performances here that some were going to be left out. I'm happy to see this is your all-time favorite performance. Her sing out version was heart-wrenching. 😢 It looked like she was trying to be in good spirits through it; however, around the halfway point I thought to myself she's going to cry, and lo and behold she did while collapsing into Jacob's arms when it was over. It was easy to see how much being on the show meant to her, especially since she tried out multiple times before finally making it. :(

006. I agree that her version was great despite there being two great versions of the song done before her. It does appear we agree on our favorite version. 😁

Looking at the list, it does appear we differ in most performances. I have a feeling I know which performance is going to be #26... :/ :haha:

4 hours ago, psterina said:

Cool ... at 5 of my Top 10, showing up on your Top 10. Three of them, showed up in this next batch. I also realized, that 2 of my Top 10 (Don't Know Why by Ashley Hess, & Straight Up by Andrew Garcia) didn't show up, as they weren't Finalist performances. When I submitted them, I didn't see the criteria. But .... they're still on my Top 10.

010. David Cook - Billie Jean  Yes, this performance is on my Top 10 for a reason. It was original & awesome. He knocked it out the park. 

009. Kris Allen - Heartless - Another great, creative performance by Kris. I do prefer "Ain't No Sunshine", but ... that's just me.

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black - This is my #2 favorite on my Top 10, just a sliver behind "Superstition", as it is an iconic performance, that generated videos of other performers, doing this version. Like they say "when someone copies you, it is the highest form of flattery". Siobhan IS an original. Everything about this performance is perfection.

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You - That Pia left so early, is totally INSANE. This performance shows, why that is.

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing) - Another one of my Top 10 shows up. This is most definitely my favorite version of this song. And ...  it gives me chills STILL, to this very day! While I love Jordin's & Haley's versions, this is on a higher plane, in my very humble opinion :P

Yeah, sorry about that. It was my fault; I should've clarified I wanted only semi-finals and finals performances at the beginning. For the record, I absolutely loved Ashley's audition and Straight Up made me pay attention to Andrew to see how he would do. Unfortunately, he never lived up to that moment.

010. I agree about it being original and awesome as well as him knocking it out of the park.

009. This was certainly a great, creative performance of his. Fair enough about the last sentence.

008. Agree about her being an original and your thoughts on this performance.

007. Yeah, it was disappointing to see her leave so early. Agreed about the thoughts on the performance.

006. Nice to see this is your favorite version of the song. Fair enough about this version being on a higher plane than Jordin & Haley's.

I probably won't have the last five up until tomorrow because I have labs to do tonight. I'll see how things go. In the meanwhile, anyone can catch up on some of the previous rankings, comment on this one, or suggest a topic they would like to see next.

• Like 1