Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round)

FrogLenzen

Posted (edited)

21. Rock wit U

Album: Songs in A Minor (2001)

220px-AliciaKeys-SongsInAMinor-music-album.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_A_Minor 

Listen on YouTube

16.57 / 21

@*Chris - 13/21

@taylorkat - 14/21

@FrogLenzen - 16/21

@*Lily - 16/21

@Zoey - 16/21

@Crisis - 20/21

@*Wallace - 21/21

Derek - 16/21

Let's be honest. If this song didn't have a 2 minute instrumental intro it would probably have done better lol. This is a perfect fit style-wise with the rest of the album. It's got a great groove and everything else. Just hard to stack up against the big singles especially when it takes so long to get started. 

Crisis - 20/21

On 4/18/2024 at 12:28 AM, Crisis said:

I feel kind of bad placing this song here, but it’s lacking something compared to the rest of the songs. The music and vibe are nice, but the song should be more dynamic than it is. It’s a bit of a letdown especially after the long buildup leading into it. Although I love my non-singles, I wouldn’t miss this one if it were left out.

Wallace - 21/21

On 4/18/2024 at 11:58 AM, *Wallace said:

I feel like I haven't heard "Rock wit U" in forever. :haha: This is a cool and enjoyable track. I feel like it takes forever to start, especially with that 1:44 instrumental intro, where I'm like "come on and sing already, Alicia!" :dead: But it's good once she sings. This song has a lowkey vibe and funky feel to it. I like those i wanna rock wit u parts. I do wish there was more buildup here, especially with how long the song is. It kinda feels on the same level throughout. Not one of my favorites obviously, but I still like it.

20. Samsonite Man

Album: The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003)

220px-The_Diary_Of_Alicia_Keys_album_cover.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_Alicia_Keys 

Listen on YouTube

14.42 / 21

Crisis - 5/21

Derek - 9/21

Zoey - 12/21

Chris - 17/21

Lily - 18/21

Wallace - 19/21

Gigi - 21/21

Crisis - 5/21

I predict this to finish last because it’s probably the least recognizable song in the ranking. I, for one, am happy to see this make it through after losing most of my favorite non-singles during the round. The penultimate track from The Diary of Alicia Keys is a piano driven number that never fails to make me hum in contentment. It’s about a guy who sweeps unsuspecting women off their feet by his charm but bails out before committing to relationships. Alicia paints it vividly in the first verse:

He's a man so full of style and grace

Any woman'd be impressed

Takes a smile and paints it on your face

Makes you feel like you've been blessed

Promises things so special

Seems to come right from a song

Soon as you begin to feel secure, yeah

You turn around and he is gone, oh

In addition, the chorus is super catchy:

Packin' his bags, gotta go, gotta go

Packin' his bags, gotta go

He's a Samsonite man

I also love how she concludes the song as she sings with a teasing lilt:

Why don't you just go?

You can't hurt me no more, baby

You can't touch me

You can't hurt me no more, baby

In the end, "Samsonite Man" is a groove that is my second favorite song from The Diary of Alicia Keys, and one of my overall favorites.

Derek - 9/21

Another fabulous album track that probably did as well as it could do in this game. Making the finals was the win, and up against the big singles this placement is not surprising. This is a song from her 2nd album that felt like it could have been on her 1st. It has that real deep jazz and groove to it. Love Alicia singing in this register.

Wallace - 19/21

Hmm thinking back on it, I'm not mad at this song making it over "Un-Thinkable." I think "Samsonite Man" is a cool track - it has a sensual, mysterious and interesting sound/feel to it. Alicia's vocals are great as always, of course. I like the story she's telling and singing here. I also really like the faster way she sings the the pre-chorus? That part where she sings:

Packing his bags, gotta go, gotta go
Packing his bags, gotta go
He's a samsonite man mmmh

Also really like the bridge too. I've come to appreciate this song the more I listen to it and am sure that will continue on.

19. Brand New Me 

Album: Girl on Fire (2012)

220px-Alicia_Keys_Brand_New_Me.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_New_Me_(Alicia_Keys_song) 

Listen on YouTube

14.14 (tie) / 21

Crisis - 6/21

Chris - 9/21

Lily - 13/21

Gigi - 16/21

Derek - 18/21

Wallace - 18/21

Zoey - 19/21

Crisis - 6/21

"Brand New Me" is an emotionally gripping song about someone escaping from a relationship with a narcissist and rediscovering herself. It’s the first track from Girl On Fire after the "De Novo Adagio" instrumental, and it sets the tone for the whole album. I love how she confronts her ex by practically telling him his negative words don’t affect her anymore. I liked the first two lines in the second verse where she sings:

Careful with your ego, he’s the one that we should blame

Had to grab my heart back, God knew something had to change

If I had to pick a favorite part, however, it would be the bridge where she sings:

If you were a friend, you wanna get to know me again

If your were worth a while, you'd be happy to see me smile

I'm not expecting sorry, I'm too busy finding myself

I've got this, I've found me, I've found me

The part that I really felt was when she belted the last I’ve found me. I also liked the part in the video when she rips off her wig and shows her new shorter hairstyle during this section of the song. Overall, "Brand New Me" is my second favorite song from Girl on Fire and one of my favorites overall in this ranking.

Derek - 18/21

At first this seems like a return to classic Alicia with the low notes and the piano riffs. But then imo it kind of becomes generic instead of groovy and novel like her early stuff. 

Wallace - 18/21

tumblr_mlig9tnKHm1rcahwvo1_500.gif
"Brand New Me" is a nice and lovely song, but of the singles that made it through, I could have done without this one here. :ph34rwave: But this is still really good.  Though I also kinda forgot about this song as it's not one I go back to often. Alicia sings this song beautifully and with a lot of heart.  I really like the parts where she sings those It's just the brand new kind of me and I found a brand new kind of free. Oooh wow at how she builds up the song towards the end - she pours so much heart and passion there. 

Hey, if you were a friend, you want to get know me again
If you were worth a while
You'd be happy to see me smile
I'm not expecting sorry
I'm too busy finding myself
I got this
I found me, I found me, yeah

Nice buildup! 😮 That helped me move this up a spot, haha. And a really nice song overall.

18. Diary (feat. Tony! Toni! Toné! & Jermaine Paul)

220px-Alicia_Keys_-_Diary_single_cover.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diary_(Alicia_Keys_song) 

Listen on YouTube

14.14 (tie) / 21

Crisis - 1/21

Derek - 7/21

Zoey - 15/21

Wallace - 17/21

Gigi - 17/21

Lily - 21/21

Chris - 21/21

Crisis - 1/21

Some, no make that a majority of these songs were difficult to rank. However, the easiest one was my #1 (and my #21). "Diary" is without question my favorite Alicia Keys song, and there was zero chance I wasn’t going to immediately advance it to the finals and risk it being left behind or cut.

It starts off with a gorgeous piano melody (that is a pain to learn BTW; your fingers will experience quite the workout) that ends with some impressive licks before transitioning to the more mellow music that plays throughout the majority of the song. In addition, there is some guitar playing that complements the piano playing nicely. The track is a musical dessert that pleases the ears.

I’ve said all that and haven’t even touched the singing; let’s change that right now. Alicia’s voice is just lovely on the track. I love how she opens the song with the lines:

Lay your head on my pillow

Here you can be yourself

I also love how the first line is a reference to the Tony! Toni! Toné! song "(Lay Your Head On My) Pillow", seeing that they’re featured on this track. The chorus is also a highlight:

I won’t tell your secrets

Your secrets are safe with me

I will keep your secrets

Just think of me as the pages in your diary

My favorite part of the song is the start of the second verse when she sings the following lines:

I feel such a connection

Even when you’re far away, mmm

The vocal layering is a thing of beauty. The bridge is nice as well and transitions nicely into the final chorus. Finally, there’s the outro where she and I want to say Dwayne Wiggins on the album (at least it sounds like him) and Jermaine Paul in the live versions go back and forth, especially this part:

I won’t tell, (I won’t tell)

I won't tell, (I won't tell)

I won't tell, (I won't tell)

Your secrets, your secrets

The last line when she and the other singer combine in harmony along with her reprising the piano intro with a few embellishments is a powerful way to conclude this lovely track. Alicia and Tony! Toni! Toné! did an exceptional job of creating a track that exudes warmth and caring. It makes me want to confide in them and think of them as human diaries, which means it did its job. I don’t expect this to rank too high (it would be a surprise if it finished in the Top 10), but I am glad to bring this beautiful song from a beautiful artist to the end game.

Derek - 7/21

So gooood!!! It must have been extremely difficult for Alicia to follow her 1st album, which was a game-changing industry-breaking MOMENT. But this song is the perfect example of how she was able to keep her momentum as an exciting artist with her 2nd album while still evolving and layering on herself. 

Wallace - 17/21

Oooh I know Crisis loves "Diary" so I look forward to reading his write-up on this song. Okay, "Diary" is kind of a conflicting song for me and.... one of those songs I feel I need to be in the mood for. Sometimes I can be really invested in this song and really like it - but then sometimes I can be bored with this and not into the song. I guess it depends on my mood. The chorus is beautiful where she sings:

I won't tell your secrets
I will keep your secrets

Alicia does sounds smooth and great throughout the song. It's smooth, tender, lowkey and it works here. I guess sometimes the song feels a little long to me where it stays on the same level and I want more of a stronger buildup sooner. That's kinda my main issue here, lol. However, I do love those WHOOAA, WHOOOAA! I won't tell. I won't tell. I won't tell. I won't tell. YOUR SECRETS parts towards the end of the song. It's also nice to see/hear Jermaine Paul on this song before his The Voice fame. 

17. In Common 

Album: Here (2016)

220px-Alicia-keys-in-common-.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Common 

Listen on YouTube

13.85 / 21

Derek - 2/21

Lily - 9/21

Crisis - 13/21

Wallace - 15/21

Chris - 18/21

Zoey - 20/21

Gigi - 20/21

Derek - 2/21

THIS SONG SLAPS. How do I talk about this song without spoiling some of my other rankings... hmm... this song/album/era was a true return to form for me in her career! Made me sit up and pay attention again. Focusing on groove and mood while exploring new things, such as the dancehall beat you hear in this one. Can't stan enough. Glad to have some newer stuff in the finals here.

Crisis - 13/21

Admittedly, this one grew on me when I re-listened to it for this ranking. Alicia’s voice sounds really pretty over the tropical arrangement, and the idea of having enough common traits to be together despite having pretty much opposite personalities was executed well. Furthermore, the video for this song is really cute and fun. The post-chorus is super catchy:

Who wants to love somebody like me?

You wanna love somebody like me?

If you could love somebody like me

You must be messed up too

It did enough for me to rank it higher than I was originally, so I feel right about this ranking.

Wallace - 15/21

81fc59c50df191589ab07fb18c1e6ea9.gif

"In Common" is a really cool and fun song from Alicia. This song also had a very different sound than I would expect from Alicia as well. It has these tropical, dancehall and Latin styles influence to it, which suited and fit in with the popular sound in 2016.  Alicia sounds really smooth and cool here. I do really enjoy the feel and vibe of the chorus.

We got way too much in common
If I'm being honest with you
We got way too much in common
Since I'm being honest with you

So cool and funky! :bobo:

16. Holy War

Album: Here (2016)

The black and white picture shows a woman with black curly hair, wearing a silver earring and looking straight at the camera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(Alicia_Keys_album) 

Listen on YouTube

13.71 / 21

Crisis - 4/21

Chris - 10/21

Lily - 12/21

Derek - 14/21

Zoey - 17/21

Gigi - 19/21

Wallace - 20/21

Crisis - 4/21

"Holy War" is undoubtedly one of Alicia’s most powerful songs in her catalog. It has a resounding message about favoring love over war. There is a not so underlying message about how violence is glorified, yet sex is treated as taboo; this is especially true here in the US. Another thing that makes this song great is how it’s constructed. The verses are fairly mellow, then the pre-chorus gradually builds up:

So we can hate each other and fear each other

We can build these walls between each other

Baby, blow by blow and brick by brick

Keep yourself locked in, yourself locked in

Yeah we can hate each other and fear each other

We can build these walls between each other

Baby, blow by blow and brick by brick

Keep yourself locked in, yourself locked

Finally, she just erupts in the chorus:

Maybe we should love somebody

Maybe we could care a little more

Maybe we should love somebody

Instead of polishing the bombs of holy war

The last thing I’ll talk about is the outro, where she really drives the point home:

What if love was holy and hate obscene

We should give life to this beautiful dream

Cause peace and love ain't so far

If we nurse our wounds before they scar

Nurse our wounds before they scar

I especially loves how she sings the last two lines. "Holy War" is the final track from Here, and there are few better ways to conclude the album! Also, I recommend checking out the lyric video for this song; it does a great job depicting the message.

Derek - 14/21

Kicking myself for not putting this higher. Maybe could have had one of the newer songs survive the first set. This is all about the lyrics

Wallace - 20/21

"Holy War" is the song I feel least familiar with as I haven't really kept as much in track with Alicia's later/more recent music compared to her.... first 4 or 5 albums of music. This is a really nice, strong and powerful song. Alicia sings and tells a powerful story here. The chorus has an interesting sound - she has this rawness and roughness to her voice there. It's interesting how she switches the story of the song on the first verse to the second verse. Definitely a very intriguing song but I just feel more connected to the songs I have higher up.

Edited by FrogLenzen

• FrogLenzen changed the title to Musician Discography Rankdown (Alicia Keys Results)
2 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

okay JK don't kill me things are very crazy right now lololol

there are 3 ties that are broken by how many rankers put one song above the other

This is actually really scary. :dead: 

- I'm good with "Rock Wit U" coming in last. I also agree with a lot of Derek's and Crisis' comments on this song too.
- "Samsonite Man" is cool. Fine with the ranking of it. Nice comments from Crisis and Derek on this one.
- Also fine with the ranking for "Brand New Me" too. It's cool how Derek & I both ranked this at #18.
- I had a strong feeling that "Diary" would be Crisis' #1... that was easy to see coming. Though I am anxiously nervous about his #21 he keeps hinting on. Oof sorry to him for the two #21s here though. Love reading Crisis' comments and strong love for this song, even if it's not one of my favorites from Alicia. But I appreciate the write-up.
- "In Common" is another cool and enjoyable song. It's nice reading about how much Derek loves this song.
- I'm okay with "Holy War" ranking. Again, loved reading Crisis' in-depth comments and love for this song. I definitely like it but it's one of the ones I'm least connected to.  

Overall I'm pretty content/happy with this first set of rankings. I think all of my #17-21 showed up, as well as my #16. It's gonna go all downhill from here for me, I bet. :dead: 

Me looking at the first set:

cancel-all-of-it-cancelled.gif

8 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Overall I'm pretty content/happy with this first set of rankings. I think all of my #17-21 showed up, as well as my #16.

giphy.gif

In all seriousness while it sucks to lose three of my Top 5 in the first set (especially my #1), I pretty much expected it since my tastes seem to differ vastly from the majority in these rankings. :haha:

LMAO I don't know how to feel about an Uma gif directed at me when I was protecting her "What's My Name?" song so much and to get so far in the Disney songs game. :dead: :haha: 

Anywho, in some other Alicia related news, her Hell's Kitchen musical got a lot (13, to be exact) of nominations in the Tony Awards! :wub: I don't know the Tonys that well to know which awards/noms Alicia could get wins for but hopefully she can get some wins where she can get that T on her EGOT status. :wub: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/tony-awards-2024-nominations-nominees-list-1235886718/

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

15. Lovin U

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_A_Minor 

Listen on YouTube

13.42 / 21

@Crisis - 8/21

@*Lily - 11/21

@FrogLenzen - 12/21

@taylorkat - 13/21

@*Chris - 16/21

@*Wallace - 16/21

@Zoey - 18/21

Crisis - 8/21

"Lovin U" is the song that closes the original version of Songs In A Minor, and it’s a great closer. It’s reminiscent of the R&B songs from the 60s and 70s in terms of both the music and the lyrics. It’s a simple song about being in love; however, Alicia gives a fresh take on the subject. The main highlight of the song is the bridge, where she sings:

I will stay by your side

Whether I’m wrong, whether I’m right

Oh, it’s incredible

With you, I intend to spend the rest of my life

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Overall, "Lovin U" is a gem of a song and absolutely one of the better non-singles in Alicia’s catalog.

Derek - 12/21

A hidden track makes the finals and survives the first set! I love that. Songs in A Minor was THAT album.

Wallace - 16/21

I really like the feel of "Lovin U." It has a romantic and sensual feel to it, and also kinda has that vibe of 70s soul music. I think I always kinda got a "A Natural Woman" vibe from this song. Alicia sounds and sings this song beautifully and with a lot of soul. I really like the verses and the chorus a lot. I especially love how she belts out those parts that goes:

Cause loving you is easy
Comes so naturally
Loving you is easy
Comes so naturally

Diary (feat. Tony! Toni! Toné! & Jermaine Paul) 
Oooh I know Crisis loves "Diary" so I look forward to reading his write-up on this song. Okay, "Diary" is kind of a conflicting song for me and.... one of those songs I feel I need to be in the mood for. Sometimes I can be really invested in this song and really like it - but then sometimes I can be bored with this and not into the song. I guess it depends on my mood. The chorus is beautiful where she sings:

I won't tell your secrets
I will keep your secrets

Alicia does sounds smooth and great throughout the song. It's smooth, tender, lowkey and it works here. I guess sometimes the song feels a little long to me where it stays on the same level and I want more of a stronger buildup sooner. That's kinda my main issue here, lol. However, I do love those WHOOAA, WHOOOAA! I won't tell. I won't tell. I won't tell. I won't tell. YOUR SECRETS parts towards the end of the song. It's also nice to see/hear Jermaine Paul on this song before his The Voice fame. 

14. Girlfriend 

220px-Alicia_Keys_-_Girlfriend.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girlfriend_(Alicia_Keys_song) 

Listen on YouTube

12.57 / 21

Derek - 8/21

Crisis - 12/21

Wallace - 12/21

Gigi - 12/21

Zoey - 14/21

Lily - 15/21

Chris - 15/21

Derek - 8/21

Glad to see no bottom 6 rankings for this but it still wasn’t enough to save it from the second set.

Crisis - 12/21

This is a funky track that interpolates ODB’s "Brooklyn Zoo" (a straight banger). The melody flows smoothly over the track, especially in the pre-choruses. Alicia captures the feelings of being envious of a female friend of her boyfriend nicely. If I have one criticism, I can do without Jermaine Dupri being on the track, but that’s minor. Despite that, it’s still a good song.

Wallace - 12/21

giphy.gif

I always loved "Girlfriend" and always thought of this song as such a jam! :wub: "Girlfriend" was released as a single internationally, which really disappointed me that it wasn't a U.S. single release because I really wanted it to be released here. 😢 But that didn't stop me from loving this song, of course. I LOVED the funky hip-hop feel of this track, which I feel like I was pretty shook about it when I first heard this song - many many years ago. :haha: I love that funky beat mixed in with Alicia's smooth R&B vocals. She sounds so good and cool on the verses. I really love how she sings the first pre-chorus that goes:

Talkin' late on the phone
Every night you've been callin'
Private moments alone
And your heart soon be fallin'
And I know she's a friend
But I can't shake the feeling
That I could be losing your heart

Then the chorus comes in. It's soo good and catchy! :bobo:

I think I'm jealous of your girlfriend
Although she's just a girl that is your friend
I think I'm jealous of your girlfriend
She shares a special part of you

Although I do feel for Alicia for what she's singing. Don't feel jealous, A-Keys. :broken: I love how she changes up the second pre-chorus to share more of how she feels and love how she sings that part of the song.

And you say that you feel
I'm the best thing in your life
And I know it's real, I see it in your eyes
There's no reason for me to even feel this way
I know you just enjoy her company

The music video is also cute and a lot of fun. It's fun seeing Alicia jam out and do some dancing at the end of it. :bobo: But yeah, I love "Girlfriend" and this song is so fun though it also makes me feel for Alicia here - but still, a great song!

13. Heartburn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diary_of_Alicia_Keys 

Listen on YouTube

12.00 / 21

Derek - 4/21

Crisis - 7/21

Wallace - 8/21

Zoey - 13/21

Lily - 14/21

Gigi - 18/21

Chris - 20/21

Derek - 4/21

Guilty. This is a Timbaland track and so it has been in a bunch of my Timbaland playlists over the years and might be the Alicia song I know best for that reason hahaha

Crisis - 7/21

"Heartburn" is a fast-paced, heart stomping jam that can seriously pump up the adrenaline. It’s a jam that’s co-produced by the one and only Timbaland (geez, I wonder why Derek was so adamant about pushing this into the finals :giggle:). The track has some blaring horns and a nasty percussion section (you know what’s another song that has great drums? "I Need You". No, I’m not bitter, why do you ask? 🙂 :haha:). Outside of the instrumentals, the singing is great as well. I especially loved the pre-chorus and chorus:

Adrenaline rushin' in my body

All my power, I just can't fight it

No matter how I keep on tryin'

I can't deny I got this

Heartburn
Burnin' in my soul
Heartburn
Call the fire department
Heartburn
It's out of control
Heartburn

However, my favorite part is the last lines of the second verse before going into the pre-chorus when she sings:

So I say, "Doctor, doctor, tell me, will I die?"

And he said, "Count to five, Alicia"

And I'm gonna be alright

Let's go, one, two, three, four!

Lastly, I have to post her smoking hot performance from Fashion Rocks 2004:

It makes me wish she would show more of this side to her, although it’s not that big of a deal. "Heartburn" is a great song and one of my favorites from The Diary of Alicia Keys.

Wallace - 8/21

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, *Wallace said:

7gAZiE.gif

Ooooh now I've always loved and stanned hard for "Heartburn." "Heartburn" is my favorite album track ever from Alicia, so I was really rooting for this song to make it to the Final 21. Thank you Derek for strongly supporting this song. I love how fun, funky and in your face this song is. It's not your typical Alicia song or a song I would really think of or associate with her per se - in fact, it kinda reminds me if could be an Amerie song or something. But Alicia brings the style, flavor and attitude needed for this song. I love the funky music here. Oh wait, Timbaland produced this? I totally forgot... but now I get why Derek supported this so much. :giggle: But yeah Alicia brings that attitude and sass on the verses.. Love it and so here for all of it! :bobo: I do really love that pre-chorus and chorus of the song that goes:

Adrenaline rushin' in my body
All my power I just can't fight it
Doesn't matter how I keep on tryin'
I can't deny, I got this
burnin' in my soul
(Heartburn) call the fire department
(Heartburn) it's out of control
(Heartburn) ooh

:bobo:

The second verse is a lot of fun. I love it all where she sings:

You got me trippin', slippin'
And beside myself
I tried some medication
But don't nothin' help
So I said doctor, doctor
Tell me, will I die?
And he said, "Count to five, Alicia"
And I'm goin' to be alright, let's go
One, two, three, four

The bridge continues on the slayage of the song and I love what she sings there as well:

Taste so good I can't resist (whoa)
Gettin' harder to digest (whoa)
Can't take no more, got to shake it off (whoa)
Now break it down, and take it to the ground with me now
Everybody say, oh
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh
Oh, oh, oh

The last section of the song are a lot of fun where Alicia sings:

Shake it, shake it, shake it, oh
Go 'head, girl
Shake it, shake it, shake it, oh
Ooh, ooh, ooh

"Heartburn" is so fun and infectious! I remember always wishing for "Heartburn" to be a single. I was so disappointed when that never happened. :( :broken: But we can still appreciate this gem of a jam! :bobo:

12. Girl on Fire (Inferno version) 

Album: Girl on Fire (2012)

220px-AK_Girl_on_Fire.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_on_Fire_(song) 

Listen on YouTube

11.71 / 21

Zoey - 6/21

Wallace - 6/21

Chris - 7/21

Lily - 10/21

Gigi - 15/21

Crisis - 18/21

Derek - 20/21

Wallace - 6/21

618381b6-36d1-4ae5-8dc4-d697ab95dd4b_tex
"Girl on Fire (Inferno version)" is such a great, motivational and powerful song that Alicia absolutely slays as always. :wub: I personally love both Inferno versions of the song, including the Nicki Minaj remix, as I feel that version brings a bit more variety to its sound. So I guess I may be in the lone opinion there but oh well. I still love this version! I love how Alicia sings the opening verse that goes:

She's just a girl and she's on fire
Hotter than a fantasy
Lonely like a highway
She's livin' in a world and it's on fire
Filled with catastrophe
But she knows she can fly away

I love how Alicia sings the pre-chorus with building up the song and then booom she really soars, powers through and slays it with that chorus! :omg:

Oh, oh-oh-oh-oh
She got both feet on the ground
And she's burnin' it down
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, oh-oh-oh-oh
She got her head in the clouds
And she's not backin' down

This girl is on fire
This girl is on fire
She's walkin' on fire
This girl is on fire

Maybe the chorus is repetitive but eh, it stays stuck in your head so I don't mind it. :yes: From the second verse, I love the parts where she sings:

Looks like a girl, but she's a flame
So bright, she can burn your eyes

You can try, but you'll never forget her name
She's on top of the world
Hottest of the hottest girls, say
Ooooooh oooh oooh oooh ohhh

The bridge is another strong part of the song. I especially love the latter half of the song where she sings:

Nobody knows that she's a lonely girl
And it's a lonely world
But she gon' let it burn, baby, burn, baby

Then I love how she powers through the rest of the song with her closing ad-libs through the rest of the song. :wub: Ooh random but is that Chad Ochocinco in the music video a the end? Remember when he danced a Rumba to "Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart" - i think? Or maybe that's a guy who looks like him, lol. Anywho, I love "Girl on Fire" and glad to see it make it through to the finals here!

Crisis - 18/21

Ugh, I hate that this version made it. It would've been nice if any of the versions that didn't include Nicki Minaj made the finals. It’s a solid song about a girl who is assured of herself and finds ways through despite the craziness surrounding her. The chorus is catchy and memorable, and it’s a popular single; however, I can’t rank it higher due to the other songs here. I'll just have to pretend Nicki isn't here to taint the ranking.

Derek - 20/21

This one doesn’t do much for me. It’s a bit shouty

11. My Boo (with Usher)

Album: Confessions (2004)

220px-Usher_-_My_Boo.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Boo_(Usher_and_Alicia_Keys_song) 

Listen on YouTube

11.28 / 21

Wallace - 3/21

Lily - 4/21

Derek - 6/21

Gigi - 10/21

Chris - 14/21

Crisis - 21/21

Zoey - 21/21

Wallace - 3/21

tumblr_ltolrlr1LC1qfj59do2_400.gif

tumblr_ltolrlr1LC1qfj59do5_400.gif

Yeah, I have always really loved and adored "My Boo." "My Boo" always stood out as my favorite Alicia collaboration and it's a song that I reallly wanted and hoped to see make the Top 21, hence my protection of it for this whole game. I had a feeling "My Boo" would have been targeted otherwise - maybe because it's not a lead on Alicia song, but she still contributes a lot to the song. :kissbye: Anyway, I love both Alicia and Usher and think they both sound fantastic on this separately and together! And they have undeniable chemistry in the song and music video as well. ❤️

I'll focus moreso on Alicia's parts. But I do love all of Usher's parts and hope to focus on his parts whenever/if ever he has a round in this game. But I love it where Alicia first comes in on the track where she speak/sings:

See, I don't know 'bout y'all, but I know about us and, uh (Oh!)
It's the only way we know how to rock

:bobo:

I love how both Usher and Alicia have their own parts on the chorus. Usher does his part first and then Alicia comes in 2nd singing her part so beautifully that goes:

I was in love with you when we were younger, you were mine (My boo)
And I see it from time to time, I still feel like (My boo, that's my baby)
And I can see it no matter how I try to hide (I can't hide it, my boo)
And even though there's another man who's in my life
You will always be my boo

❤️

Alicia sings her part on the second verse so beautifully, all of it where she sings:

Yes, I remember, boy
'Cause after we kissed, I could only think about your lips
Yes, I remember, boy
The moment I knew you were the one I could spend my life with
Even before all the fame, and people screaming your name
I was there
And you were my baby

I love this call and response Usher and Alicia have while singing their verses as well as the chorus. ❤️ I love their ad-libs that they sing before the bridge comes on with Usher's "it's alright though," Alicia's "it's okay" and Usher's "even though we haven't seen each otherrr!" Then I love when the finally meet up with each other in the music video and then sings the bridge part of the song, which is soooo good and catchy!

Oh, my oh, my oh, my oh, my, my boo

The vocals! The harmonies! SOO GOOD. :wub: I love the rest of the ad-libs Usher & Alicia does through the rest of the songs. And how Alicia lets out another "It's alright. IT'S OKAY!" :wub:

While I do love "My Boo," I also really love the music video of it too. Alicia looks sooo beautiful and this is one of my favorite looks from her in a music video! :wub: It was also amazing seeing Alicia & Usher performing this at this year's Super Bowl! I'm not expecting "My Boo" to rank too highly since the collaborations in this game don't really rank too well in this game. But I hope this can still do decently (and avoid showing up in the first set).

Derek - 6/21

Nooooo not this song missing the Top 10 

Crisis - 21/21

This would be much higher if this were an Usher ranking because I associate this song more with him. It’s a good song, and the chemistry between Alicia and Usher is great, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that it feels out of place in an Alicia Keys ranking; therefore, I can’t justify ranking it higher than last here.

Edited by FrogLenzen

On 6/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, FrogLenzen said:

Songs in A Minor (2001)

How Come You Don't Call Me [SINGLE]

Fallin' [SINGLE]

A Woman's Worth [SINGLE]

The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003)

Karma [SINGLE]

You Don't Know My Name [SINGLE]

If I Ain't Got You [SINGLE]

220px-Alicia_Keys_-_As_I_Am.png

As I Am (2007)

Superwoman [SINGLE]

No One [SINGLE]

A woman with her eyes closed, wearing a feathered dress that covers her chest, bares her shoulders and goes around her neck. Laid against a blue background, a white dove is seen flying behind her to the left. The name "Alicia Keys" is written to the right in white font and "The Element of Freedom" is written below that in dark blue font.

The Element of Freedom (2009)

Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart [SINGLE]

Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down [SINGLE]

And here's the Top 10 for Alicia Keys!!!

- Good spot for "Lovin' U." I'm glad Crisis mentioned how I felt and the vibe I got from this song reminding us of classic soul music from the 60s/70s.
- "Girlfriend" got a good solid middle of the road ranks from #8 to #15. Like Derek said, happy to see that this didn't get any Bottom 6 rankings. Such a good jam!
- "Heartburn." :wub: I think this is the highest ranked album track so yay that's a win for me. LMAOO OMG I thought Derek posted my comments for Crisis' write-up since I remembered mentioning Derek in my write-up - but lmaooo I love that we both did so. :lmao: Like Crisis said, I wish Alicia got to show this side of her more but I am glad we got this. ❤️
- Ahh yeah I kinda figured and expected that "Girl on Fire" would have polarizing ranks... and I knew Derek would rank this one low too. :haha: I thought this would have been his #21 but now I think I got another guess for it. Oh well, I do love this and glad to see it making it all the way to 12th as I feared it would have been lower. Though  I don't know what Crisis is thinking because the original solo version of GOF made it here and not the version with Nicki.
- UGH I KNEWWW that "My Boo" was going to miss the Top 10 but oooh ahhh and wow it makes it at #11. It seems like the big collaborations of this game always just miss making the Top 10 (i.e. "Lady Marmalade," "4 Minutes" so I figured "My Boo" would follow in the same line). And I also KNEW and predicted that Crisis was gonna rank this at #21.... so that's a bummer. 😢 But I was prepared at least, haha Oh well, I'm glad to see this made it to #11 even with two #21 ranks for it. Hopefully this can do better if we ever do an Usher discography round. 

Overall, this is a great and really solid Top 10. I think I have the following left: 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 

On 6/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, FrogLenzen said:

TAYLOR SWIFT (after June 3, 2021)

Amanda

220px-Big_Red_Machine_-_Renegade_%28ft._Taylor_Swift%29.png

[SINGLE] (July 2, 2021)

Renegade (with Big Red Machine)

Cover artwork of Red (Taylor's Version) by Taylor Swift

Red (Taylor's Version) (Nov. 12, 2021)

State of Grace (Taylor's Version)

Red (Taylor's Version)

Treacherous (Taylor's Version)

I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor's Version)

All Too Well (Taylor's Version)

22 (Taylor's Version)

I Almost Do (Taylor's Version)

We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor's Version)

Stay Stay Stay (Taylor's Version)

The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol) (Taylor's Version)

Holy Ground (Taylor's Version)

Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor's Version)

The Lucky One (Taylor's Version)

Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran) (Taylor's Version)

Starlight (Taylor's Version)

Begin Again (Taylor's Version)

The Moment I Knew (Taylor's Version)

Come Back... Be Here (Taylor's Version)

Girl at Home (Taylor's Version)

State of Grace (acoustic version) (Taylor's Version)

Ronan (Taylor's Version)

Better Man
Nothing New (feat. Phoebe Bridgers)

Babe

Message in a Bottle [SINGLE]

I Bet You Think About Me (feat. Chris Stapleton) [SINGLE]

Forever Winter

Run (feat. Ed Sheeran)

The Very First Night

All Too Well (10 Minute Version)

Eyes Open (Taylor's Version)

Safe & Sound (Taylor's Version)

Christmas Tree Farm (Old Timey Version) — Taylor Swift | Last.fm

[SINGLE] (Nov. 22, 2021)

Christmas Tree Farm (Old Timey Version)

Cover artwork for "The Joker and the Queen"

[SINGLE] (Feb. 11, 2022)

The Joker and the Queen (with Ed Sheeran)

Cover artwork of "Carolina"

[SINGLE] (June 24, 2022)

Carolina (from "Where the Crawdads Sing")

Digital artwork of "Midnights", a white background with a square image of Taylor Swift holding a lighter. The track list is displayed on the bottom left of the image.

Midnights (Oct. 21, 2022)

Standard Edition

Lavender Haze [SINGLE]

Maroon

Anti-Hero [SINGLE]

Snow on the Beach (feat. Lana Del Rey)

You're on Your Own, Kid

Midnight Rain

Question...?

Vigilante Shit

Bejeweled

Labyrinth

Karma [SINGLE]

Sweet Nothing

Mastermind

3am Edition

The Great War

Bigger Than the Whole Sky

Paris

High Infidelity

Glitch

Would've, Could've, Should've

Dear Reader

Til Dawn Edition

Hits Different

Snow of the Beach (feat. More Lana Del Rey)

Karma (feat. Ice Spice) [SINGLE]

Late Night Edition

You're Losing Me

All Of The Girls You Loved Before - Single by Taylor Swift | Spotify

[SINGLE] (Mar. 17, 2023)

All of the Girls You Loved Before

The More Fearless (Taylor's Version) Chapter - EP - Album by Taylor Swift -  Apple Music

The More Fearless (Taylor's Version) (Mar. 17, 2023)

If This Was a Movie (Taylor's Version) [SINGLE]

220px-First_Two_Pages_of_Frankenstein_The_National_album_cover.png

[SINGLE] (Apr. 28, 2023)

The Alcott (with the National)

A photo of Taylor Swift looking back over her shoulders in a purple dress

Speak Now (Taylor's Version) (July 7, 2023)

Mine (Taylor's Version)

Sparks Fly (Taylor's Version)

Back to December (Taylor's Version)

Speak Now (Taylor's Version)

Dear John (Taylor's Version)

Mean (Taylor's Version)

The Story of Us (Taylor's Version)

Never Grow Up (Taylor's Version)

Enchanted (Taylor's Version)

Better than Revenge (Taylor's Version)

Innocent (Taylor's Version)

Haunted (Taylor's Version)

Last Kiss (Taylor's Version)

Long Live (Taylor's Version)

Ours (Taylor's Version)

Superman (Taylor's Version)

Electric Touch (feat. Fall Out Boy)

When Emma Falls in Love

I Can See You

Castles Crumbling (feat. Hayley Williams)

Foolish One

Timeless

The cover artwork of 1989 (Taylor's Version), showing Swift smiling, seagulls in the background, and "1989" in white and "Taylor's Version" in smaller black above her face.

1989 (Taylor's Version) (Oct. 27, 2023)

Welcome to New York (Taylor's Version)

Blank Space (Taylor's Version)

Style (Taylor's Version)

Out of the Woods (Taylor's Version)

All You Had to Do Was Stay (Taylor's Version)

Shake It Off (Taylor's Version)

I Wish You Would (Taylor's Version)

Bad Blood (Taylor's Version)

Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version)

How You Get the Girl (Taylor's Version)

This Love (Taylor's Version)

I Know Places (Taylor's Version)

Clean (Taylor's Version)

Wonderland (Taylor's Version)

You Are in Love (Taylor's Version)

New Romantics (Taylor's Version)

Slut!

Say Don't Go

Now That We Don't Talk

Suburban Legends

Is It Over Now?

Sweeter than Fiction (Taylor's Version)

Bad Blood (feat. Kendrick Lamar) (Taylor's Version)

Slut! (acoustic version)

Black-and-white image of Swift lying on a bed. The album title is displayed on the image. The image is surrounded by a thick white border.

The Tortured Poets Department (Apr. 19, 2024)

Standard Edition

Fortnight (feat. Post Malone)

The Tortured Poets Department

my Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys

Down Bad

So Long, London

But Daddy I Love Him

Fresh Out the Slammer

Florida!!! (feat. Florence and the Machine)

Guilty as Sin?

Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?

I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)

Loml

I Can Do It with a Broken Heart

The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived

The Alchemy

Clara Bow

The Anthology

The Black Dog

Imgonnagetyouback

The Albatross

Chloe or Sam or Sophia or Marcus

How Did It End?

So High School

I Hate It Here

Thank You Aimee

I Look in People's Windows

The Prophecy

Cassandra

Peter

The Bolter

Robin

The Manuscript

Swifties be like:

1a9401ba-c8f5-4f1b-a715-b48b19a236f7_tex

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Though  I don't know what Crisis is thinking because the original solo version of GOF made it here and not the version with Nicki.

I thought for some reason the Inferno version was the one with Nicki. Thankfully that is not the case. :haha:

3 hours ago, *Wallace said:

And I also KNEW and predicted that Crisis was gonna rank this at #21.... so that's a bummer. 😢

Sorry not sorry, but I'm not a fan of songs of spotlighted artists as featured guests being in the finals. It's the reason I ranked Scream low in the Janet Jackson ranking despite me really liking the song, which is the same case for My Boo.

5 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

it's rough out here for us haha

It sure is. 😢 :broken:

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Swifties be like:

1a9401ba-c8f5-4f1b-a715-b48b19a236f7_tex

I don't know how they can keep up with that. :dead: 

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

I thought for some reason the Inferno version was the one with Nicki. Thankfully that is not the case. :haha:

Sorry not sorry, but I'm not a fan of songs of spotlighted artists as featured guests being in the finals. It's the reason I ranked Scream low in the Janet Jackson ranking despite me really liking the song, which is the same case for My Boo.

Ah yeah the Nicki version did get cut at some point in the game. 😢 

Ah that's totally understandable. :haha: I know others agree with you. I don't really mind it and just focus on the artist we're spotlighing here. And songs like "Scream" and "My Boo" are technically like joint collabos as they have the "and" usage (rather than "featuring") in their title, so I think of it as both artists songs equally. :haha: But it's fine we differ. Glad you still appreciate the songs of course. 😄 

• Like 1