The Official Rankdown Off-Topic Thread

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

KAYKO was good and cute. 😘 

I’m at Top 5 right now and I love Emmy, Jack and Abi. I liked KB, McKenna, and Mia and KAYKO too. 

Julia, too.

You have better taste then most so that's good! ❤️

I watched the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame performances during my lunch break today. I think Abi probably did the best. She chose a song that actually suited what she wanted to do (who goes out of their way to listen to a MCM piano cover? Nobody, that's who) and pulled it off with aplomb. I also thought Will's performance was very good and interestingly enough, I also enjoyed McKenna. It was an interesting song for her voice and I kind of dug it.

Honorable mentions would be Julia (she has the best vocal chops of this year's contestants imo), Mia (kind of becoming a dark horse for me, I like her throwback country style), and Triston (it was cute lol).

Gene Simmons was an excellent mentor. He knew exactly what to say to each contestant to encouragement them to do their best. As for the eliminated contestants...

Jordan - I wanted to like him so much more than I honestly did. I figured he'd last longer because he has a great tone and is cute... but then again, with Kayko and Jack around, it wasn't like this season was missing out on heartthrobs. Nerves and song choice are what did him in, unfortunately. He never should've chosen that Whitney song, it reminded me of when MacKenzie covered it for some reason and while I get what they were both going for, I just don't think the song translates very well to a more ~artistic~ arrangement.

Nya - The best thing I can say about her is that I hope she raised her stock in securing more Broadway gigs. There's no shame in that profession, but American Idol she was not. She's someone that Simon would've written off for being too cabaret. Someone like Odell or Quintavious should've gotten her spot in the top 14.

I'm caught up to the top 12 episode, including the wildcard performances (which I initially skipped). I have no idea what counts as a finalist these days so I'm just gonna stick with the top 10 that America chose. Like Elliott said, the contestants the judges save inevitably get eliminated again the next week, so that seems like the fair cut-off point to me.

Here are my rankings of the "bottom 10":

1. Ajii - Honestly? Low key robbed. He had a fun personality, a very eclectic music taste, made risky song choices and sang them all well, to boot. He's not my #1 favorite of the season or anything, but I definitely would've had him in the top 10.

2. Odell - I thought "The Door" was pretty good and think he should've made the top 10 off that performance. Other than that, I wasn't feeling anything he did. "Uptown Funk" was lacking the energy that song requires and his WC performance was a massive misstep. On the plus side though, he was my coworker's favorite, and my coworker happens to be wonderful, so he has that going for him at least.

3. Jayna - Holy horrible song choices, Batman. She's this high in my rankings because she's a talented pop singer, but a diva she was not so I don't know why she bothered dipping into the Mariah/Whitney songbook. She didn't have the power to support those huge songs, thus she resorted to shouting which is never good. I also found her voice to be lacking in character--like I wouldn't recognize her if she showed up on the radio. All of that is probably the reason she didn't make it very far tbh.

4. Jordan - I touched on this before, but he disappointed me. I actually really dug his tone and appreciate how he at least tried to work the stage, being in a season with so many contestants who remained glued to one spot. His wildcard performance was definitely his best, so kudos for pulling that out at the correct time. That Whitney song choice though... not a risk that was worth taking imo.

5. Quintavious - He was alright. Since this season was so stacked with talent, he probably left at the correct time.

6. Nya - Like I said before, Cabaret with a capital C. I also didn't care for most of her song choices, minus the wildcard one I guess... that was her best performance so I understand why the judges advanced her. Definitely left at the right time, though.

7. Kennedy Reid - "Fancy" was karaoke in the worst way, but I thought "Love Can Build a Bridge" was legitimately good. She's a talented singer, but lost out because again, this season was stacked, and she instantly went back to the second-rate karaoke route with the Carrie/Miranda song. Overall, not a huge loss.

8. Roman Collins - Couldn't get off my screen fast enough. He was essentially all of Joshua Ledet's worst qualities with none of his good ones. I don't understand why they advanced so many gospel singers this season. It's been proven that genre doesn't resonate with the voters, unless it's in country music form I guess. Harsh reality but the truth nonetheless.

9. Jennifer Jeffries - Her voice annoyed me.

10. Mackenzie Sol - Also not very good, but I'll always remember him for that X Factor clip they showed. :haha: Hilarious how they showed Sharon Osbourne but not Simon!

18 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

I'm caught up to the top 12 episode, including the wildcard performances (which I initially skipped). I have no idea what counts as a finalist these days so I'm just gonna stick with the top 10 that America chose. Like Elliott said, the contestants the judges save inevitably get eliminated again the next week, so that seems like the fair cut-off point to me.

I just go with WNTS's idea and count anything after the wildcard episode as the finalists (so the entire Top 14, lol). There was one season they actually survived the first couple of eliminations.

20 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

3. Jayna - Holy horrible song choices, Batman. She's this high in my rankings because she's a talented pop singer, but a diva she was not so I don't know why she bothered dipping into the Mariah/Whitney songbook.

lol @*Wallace can attest to the very public meltdown I had when she said she was torn with doing Best of You and I Have Nothing, and went with the latter. :rofl::/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Elliott said:

lol @*Wallace can attest to the very public meltdown I had when she said she was torn with doing Best of You and I Have Nothing, and went with the latter. :rofl::/

Ha, I may or may not have rolled my eyes at that decision myself. IHN needs to go on the banlist ten years ago. "I Believe" should go on it too while they're at it.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

"I Believe" should go on it too while they're at it.

American Idol can be on its 75th season and someone will still do I Believe.

Edited by Elliott
  • Thanks 1

Alright, this was sensational and that's coming from someone who ranked Kabrienne in the bottom 2 every week up to this point. Major kudos to her!

I'm not sure how I feel about the "Year You Were Born" theme now being made up of early-to-mid 2000s music, though. :haha: Put Shania Twain on the judging panel!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Alright, this was sensational and that's coming from someone who ranked Kabrienne in the bottom 2 every week up to this point. Major kudos to her!

I'm not sure how I feel about the "Year You Were Born" theme now being made up of early-to-mid 2000s music, though. :haha: Put Shania Twain on the judging panel!

Top 2 performance of the season for me. And yeah Shania seemed like a great mentor.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Elliott said:

LMAOO Yesss I remember all of this. This was something else. :dead: 

4 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

It’s my favourite performance of the season. :wub:

5 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Top 2 performance of the season for me. And yeah Shania seemed like a great mentor.

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

It’s my favourite performance of the season. :wub:

I don't blame you all, it really was that good. I have it rated at 89 right now (2nd place behind SIUTK whataboutit.gif). KB's second highest score is IHMFLY at 35. :haha: :ph34rwave:

Anyway, Here Without You is only the second time on ABC!Idol I was left #shook after a performance.

the first time was Jay’s Lilac Wine.

41 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Good Burger Reading GIF

Somebody That I Used to Know. David (dhealy2003, we're Facebook friends) got confused by me using song acronyms too, do we not refer to performances like that anymore? :haha:

Think I'll continue leaving comments as contestants get eliminated:

Kayko - You all know by now that I'm a proud "snowflayko" and yes I subscribed to his YouTube channel. I just thought he was a much needed breath of fresh air during this season's early rounds. Now that other contestants are getting comfortable breaking out of their shells a bit, he's probably not that needed anymore, but I wish he could've lasted at least one more round to see what songs the judges chose for him. Maybe if he decided on Teenage Dirtbag earlier and got in more rehearsal time, but alas. I'm very critical of originals on this show, but I loved Kayko's originals. He made up for what he lacked vocally by being an entertaining performer. Kayko just had so much fun on the Idol stage and his energy/smile were infectious, so sue me.

Mia - She was very "yeah ok, thank you next" for me at first, but she grew on me thanks to some excellent song choices. I never heard Wildflowers and Wild Horses before and prefer Mia's version over the original. Anyone who chooses to sing Cam will always get snaps from me. No One Needs to Know was definitely a misstep, but I don't think it was terrible, just awkward. I think there's a niche in the country music world for artists like Mia, so I wish her luck in whatever she sets out to do. Also, apparently she posts on IDF? :haha: Well hello Mia, if you happen to read this haha. You succeeded in winning over this fan during your stint on the show!

No, I just couldn’t figure out to acronym. :dead:

Kayko posted what his songs were going to be for the rest of the season. His judges pick song (as picked by Katy) was You Will Be Found from Dear Evan Hansen.

Posted (edited)

Okay, you're telling me Abi was capable of THIS and she still insisted on turning MCR into a piano dirge?! Lol get the freak out of here.

Emmy's performance was equally sensational, she definitely waited for the right moment to cover her grandmother. Very close third place was Jack--idk why he turned AOMM into a spoken word poem, but for some reason it worked. Julia and Will were also good (I generally always enjoy their performances) while Triston sort of redeemed himself after a mediocre two weeks for me.

McKenna and Kaibrienne were 100% the correct bottom 2 for this week. I thought KB's last performance was alright (definitely her second best after HWY), but lbr she was on borrowed time by this point. McKenna has been growing on me throughout the competition, but she was musical wallpaper on this night. The last thing you wanna be on this show is forgettable, especially on a season where everyone is capable of giving competitive performances.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy