The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

5 hours ago, idolwatcher_1 said:

It's painfully obvious that OSHA/Federal government is not mandating vaccinations based on actual science, logic or reason because they completely ignore naturally acquired immunity as well as the fact that people can obtain or carry a virus without being harmed by it themselves or necessarily harming anyone else around them. It involves several variables which often return back to the individual choice of the person who may or may not become harmed by the virus while in or out of the workplace.

It's a total slippery slope scenario if the courts allow OSHA's authority to expand beyond workplace-related hazards and into any potential hazard conceived in a working person's normal life.  If the mandate is allowed to continue, will OSHA then be able to start demanding that any variety of specific health decisions also be executed by "all employees" or else the employer/business be fined or otherwise reprimanded?? :wacko: As we all know, heath and harm don't begin or end with viruses... 

The courts usually weigh all the inconsistencies they see in these types of cases, as well as the clear potential for abuse of power and precedent, as long as the plaintiffs make the proper, strong arguments to best expose these things.  I don't see the OSHA rule lasting...

The federal government and OSHA knows that the vaccine mandate is a massive overreach, but they've been getting away with shredding the constitution so why not push the line again? To them, slippery slope is a feature, not a bug. 

From the article:

According to the government, "OSHA's newfound authority empowers it not simply to set safe levels of potential carcinogens in the workplace, or require safety equipment and employee trainings, but to regulate the off-site medical decisions of employees completely disconnected from work." If OSHA "can require that companies mandate vaccines," the brief asks, "what can it not require?"

Edited by season1
  • Like 3

Will they give away free brown shirts to the "informers"?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/biden-vaccine-mandate-whistleblower-enforcement/

Whistleblowers to play key role in enforcing Biden vaccine rule

The 490-page regulation will cover American businesses with at least 100 workers, or about 84 million employees in all. So the government will rely upon a corps of informers to identify violations of the order: Employees who will presumably be concerned enough to turn in their own employers if their co-workers go unvaccinated or fail to undergo weekly tests to show they're virus-free.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone been following the Rittenhouse case? I never considered myself right wing at all but the ladies on The View said if I dont support conviction I'm a righty.

I dont think he had great intentions but this seems like an open shut case of self defense if you're objective He should be convicted on illegal firearm possesion as a minor at the time. That should be a felony rather than a misdemeanor but nothing can be done on that.

• Like 2

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirms hold on the vaccine mandate:

From the tweets:

FECGWe5XsAI881M.png

FECIA0OXwAA6Vpj.png

Key points:

• "staggeringly overbroad"
  • "raises serious constitutional concerns"
  • "likely exceed the federal government's authority under the Commerce Clause"
  • "regulates noneconomic inactivity that falls squarely within the States' police power"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, season1 said:

The 5th Circuit Court of Appeals affirms hold on the vaccine mandate:

From the tweets:

FECGWe5XsAI881M.png

FECIA0OXwAA6Vpj.png

Key points:

• "staggeringly overbroad"
  • "raises serious constitutional concerns"
  • "likely exceed the federal government's authority under the Commerce Clause"
  • "regulates noneconomic inactivity that falls squarely within the States' police power"

Here’s a link to the entire order. They totally shredded it. 

One of my favorite points is the fact that companies with fewer than 100 employees being exempt weakens the argument of an emergency or “grave danger.” 

It’s not over yet, but it’s a good start. 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/pdf/2021/11/12/bst_holdings_l.l.c._v._osha.pdf

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

Here’s a link to the entire order. They totally shredded it. 

One of my favorite points is the fact that companies with fewer than 100 employees being exempt weakens the argument of an emergency or “grave danger.” 

It’s not over yet, but it’s a good start. 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/pdf/2021/11/12/bst_holdings_l.l.c._v._osha.pdf

I finally got around to reading the document. The 5th Circuit orders OSHA to take NO steps to implement the mandate until further court order.

The court order also indirectly and subtly referred to Biden on page 18:

"There is no clear expression of congressional intent in § 655(c) to convey OSHA such broad authority, and this court will not infer one. Nor can the Article II executive breathe new power into OSHA’s authority—no matter how thin patience wears."

• Like 1

Another new low. 

BcMxQGG.png

Looks like it was the ugly Washington Post poll that pulled it down to the new low. Weren’t we told not long ago that Biden’s poll numbers would start going up after passage of that “infrastructure” bill? 

Here’s the link to that poll: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/123AzF_nPabL77PSLl7TY4r43PiCnI10dJ9NIuobYTF8/htmlview#gid=0

2bGqAh7.png

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, season1 said:

This is in TX -- 

State Infusion Hotline call:

Who’s in charge of that bullshit in Texas? I suspect it’s the Department of Health, so that’s on Abbott. 

Anyway, I’ve looked up Minnesota, and race is mentioned as a risk factor, but it’s not stated that white people can’t get it. Interestingly, being unvaccinated is a requirement. I’ll bet this is almost word for word what the Texas policy is, and it’s probably being rationed due to Biden cutting their supply. This is what can happen when the federal government is in charge of health care. 

Since Florida was able to find an alternative to the Regeneron brand, and purchase it themselves, I’m not going to give Abbott a pass on this one. 

—-

Monoclonal antibodies

Monoclonal antibody treatment can be used in people 12 years of age and older who weigh at least 88 pounds (40 kg) who are at high risk for severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death for:

• Prevention of COVID-19 in people who have had close contact or are at high risk of being in close contact with someone with COVID-19, such as people in the same institutional setting (for example, nursing homes or prisons) where COVID-19 is circulating.
    To be eligible, people:
    • Must not be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or
    • Are not expected to build up enough of an immune response to the complete COVID-19 vaccination (for example, someone with immunocompromising conditions, including someone who is taking immunosuppressive medications).

• Treatment of mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19.
    To be eligible, patients must:
    • Test positive for SARS-CoV-2.
    • Be within 10 days of the start of their symptoms.
    • Not be hospitalized.

Below is a compilation list of the high-risk conditions developed by the FDA for monoclonal antibody treatment and the list of high-risk conditions developed by CDC. This list does not include all medical conditions or factors that might result in a person being at high risk:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease (for example, being on dialysis, polycystic kidney disease)
  • Chronic lung disease (for example, COPD, asthma, cystic fibrosis)
  • Congenital abnormalities
  • Dementia (for example Alzheimer's disease) or other neurological conditions
  • Diabetes
  • Disability
  • Down syndrome
  • Genetic or metabolic conditions (for example, chromosome abnormalities, mitochondrial diseases)
  • Having a medical-related technological dependence (for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation [not related to COVID-19])
  • Heart conditions (for example coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, hypertension)
  • Immunocompromised state (for example HIV/AIDS, leukemia, solid organ or blood stem cell transplant, steroid treatment, or other treatments that weaken your immune system)
  • Liver disease (for example, fatty liver disease, cirrhosis)
  • Neurodevelopmental conditions (for example, cerebral palsy)
  • Older age (for example 65 years of age or older)
  • Obesity or being overweight (for example, adults with a BMI of more than 25 kg/m2)
  • Patient identifies as Black/African American; Hispanic/Latino; Asian; Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander; or American Indian or Alaskan Native
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
  • Smoking, current or former
  • Stroke
  • Substance use disorders

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/meds.html#highrisk

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Who’s in charge of that bullshit in Texas? I suspect it’s the Department of Health, so that’s on Abbott. 

Anyway, I’ve looked up Minnesota, and race is mentioned as a risk factor, but it’s not stated that white people can’t get it. Interestingly, being unvaccinated is a requirement. I’ll bet this is almost word for word what the Texas policy is, and it’s probably being rationed due to Biden cutting their supply. This is what can happen when the federal government is in charge of health care. 

Since Florida was able to find an alternative to the Regeneron brand, and purchase it themselves, I’m not going to give Abbott a pass on this one. 

—-

Monoclonal antibodies

Monoclonal antibody treatment can be used in people 12 years of age and older who weigh at least 88 pounds (40 kg) who are at high risk for severe COVID-19, including hospitalization or death for:

• Prevention of COVID-19 in people who have had close contact or are at high risk of being in close contact with someone with COVID-19, such as people in the same institutional setting (for example, nursing homes or prisons) where COVID-19 is circulating.
    To be eligible, people:
    • Must not be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or
    • Are not expected to build up enough of an immune response to the complete COVID-19 vaccination (for example, someone with immunocompromising conditions, including someone who is taking immunosuppressive medications).

• Treatment of mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19.
    To be eligible, patients must:
    • Test positive for SARS-CoV-2.
    • Be within 10 days of the start of their symptoms.
    • Not be hospitalized.

Below is a compilation list of the high-risk conditions developed by the FDA for monoclonal antibody treatment and the list of high-risk conditions developed by CDC. This list does not include all medical conditions or factors that might result in a person being at high risk:

• Cancer
  • Chronic kidney disease (for example, being on dialysis, polycystic kidney disease)
  • Chronic lung disease (for example, COPD, asthma, cystic fibrosis)
  • Congenital abnormalities
  • Dementia (for example Alzheimer's disease) or other neurological conditions
  • Diabetes
  • Disability
  • Down syndrome
  • Genetic or metabolic conditions (for example, chromosome abnormalities, mitochondrial diseases)
  • Having a medical-related technological dependence (for example, tracheostomy, gastrostomy, or positive pressure ventilation [not related to COVID-19])
  • Heart conditions (for example coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, hypertension)
  • Immunocompromised state (for example HIV/AIDS, leukemia, solid organ or blood stem cell transplant, steroid treatment, or other treatments that weaken your immune system)
  • Liver disease (for example, fatty liver disease, cirrhosis)
  • Neurodevelopmental conditions (for example, cerebral palsy)
  • Older age (for example 65 years of age or older)
  • Obesity or being overweight (for example, adults with a BMI of more than 25 kg/m2)
  • Patient identifies as Black/African American; Hispanic/Latino; Asian; Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander; or American Indian or Alaskan Native
  • Pregnancy
  • Sickle cell disease or thalassemia
  • Smoking, current or former
  • Stroke
  • Substance use disorders

https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/meds.html#highrisk

It's HHS so it's on Abbott. 

Looking at the guidelines for MN, I guess a healthy (no underlying conditions) under 65 white person will be at the back of the bus for monoclonal. They could have shortened the sentence re race/ethnicity by saying "non-white".

I checked my state and the list is much shorter:

All high-risk adults and high-risk youth ages 12-17 who weigh at least 88 pounds may be eligible for treatment. High-risk factors can include: 

• Older age 
  • Obesity or being overweight
  • Pregnancy
  • Chronic kidney disease
  • Diabetes
  • A weakened immune system or taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • Heart disease including high blood pressure
  • Lung disease such as COPD, asthma, or cystic fibrosis 
  • Sickle cell disease
  • Cerebral palsy or other developmental conditions
  • Regular use of a feeding tube or ventilator

Other non-medical factors such as race or ethnicity may also put individuals at higher risk for severe COVID-19.

Edited by season1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, season1 said:

This is in TX -- 

State Infusion Hotline call:

These woke type policies in themselves are racist against blacks and hispanics. Yes, blacks and hispanics may be a little more likely to have underlying health conditions/be in poverty but a lot of them aren't. To assume they all are at high risk is honestly racist. A lot of these types assume every rough neighborhood is a minority neighborhood too--which isnt true

Edited by sneaky
  • Like 2