The American Politics Thread!

Rate this topic

istersay

1 hour ago, TeamAudra said:

I hope the Democrat TPTB agree with you and run to the left. 😂 

Anyway, I understand many of your positions are left of center. I get it. At the same time, you’re more in line with your Governor on covid mandates. If you elect a Democrat next year, you’ll probably be subjected to some of those mandates that you hate.  What is the most important issue to you? 

The thing is people are more likely to vote for actual progressive policies. I'm not talking about the race baiting, neo liberal policies. In Florida, a red state, we voted for a 15 dollar minimum wage and to let ex felons get the right to vote back (before that was snatched up by Desantis after the people had spoken)

I'm not a fan of the covid restrictions and the identity politics of the left. But Republicans actually need to give something to vote for. The main thing I hear from Republicans is that "schools are trying to turn your kid trans" and "we have open borders" It's all fear based stuff with no actual vision for what the country wants. And its because I think they dont actually care about all the systemic problems in the country.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, sneaky said:

The thing is people are more likely to vote for actual progressive policies. I'm not talking about the race baiting, neo liberal policies. In Florida, a red state, we voted for a 15 dollar minimum wage and to let ex felons get the right to vote back (before that was snatched up by Desantis after the people had spoken)

I'm not a fan of the covid restrictions and the identity politics of the left. But Republicans actually need to give something to vote for. The main thing I hear from Republicans is that "schools are trying to turn your kid trans" and "we have open borders" It's all fear based stuff with no actual vision for what the country wants. And its because I think they dont actually care about all the systemic problems in the country.

I think just about anyone can go find a $15 per hour job right now, or close to it. If they can’t, they aren’t trying hard enough. And whether felons can vote doesn’t affect my life whatsoever. Don’t commit felonies. Overall, I don’t view you as I do most liberal Democrats. You seem more open minded than most, and you aren’t out there parroting the same ridiculous talking points. 

:giggle:

Crowd erupted into “LGB” chant after that.  

He was on Fox and Friends this morning with a 2nd grader who might have to repeat 2nd grade because they wouldn’t let her come to school without a mask. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

I think just about anyone can go find a $15 per hour job right now, or close to it. If they can’t, they aren’t trying hard enough. And whether felons can vote doesn’t affect my life whatsoever. Don’t commit felonies. Overall, I don’t view you as I do most liberal Democrats. You seem more open minded than most, and you aren’t out there parroting the same ridiculous talking points. 

Well I won't change your mind but there are a lot of people living on below 15 an hour. Poverty causes crime, health issues and a host of other problems which negatively effect society. Same thing with disenfrachising felons.

58 minutes ago, sneaky said:

Well I won't change your mind but there are a lot of people living on below 15 an hour. Poverty causes crime, health issues and a host of other problems which negatively effect society. Same thing with disenfrachising felons.

I won’t change your mind either, but you singled out DeSantis on this, and as far as I can tell, there isn’t a single state with a $15 / hr minimum wage. Florida is $10 which is easily above the national average. Having said that, I’ll bet most people could walk into a Florida Target and have a job that pays close to that. I think it’s $14 / hr to start in the Twin Cities. There are signs on the front door at every location. That’s just one example. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sneaky said:

The thing that people don't typically understand about minimum wage is that whatever you move it to, everything in the economy merely adjusts around it, which causes nothing to actually improve for any notable period of time for the person seeking that wage increase.  

Bastardized example:  When minimum wage is $5/hr, a burger costs $2.50, rent costs $500/month, etc.  If minimum wage becomes $15/hr, a burger will then cost $7.50, and rent will then cost $1500/month.  Everything merely triples, so you're really just back to where you started from, except everything just has a higher price tag on it now.  Granted, most wage adjustments don't suddenly make that kind of incremental shift overnight, but all of it eventually adjusts because everyone has to balance their budgets, including the burger place and the rental facility, etc.  All it does is shift everything higher, which doesn't actually improve anyone's standard of living. But it sure sounded good...

Most people who propose adjusting the minimum wage, do so using static analysis... in other words, they assume all other variables will stay the same, except the minimum wage becomes higher, therefore, "people's lives will improve".  But that's not how an economy works... It constantly adjusts to all the changing variables, not the least of which is employers and businesses deciding to replace humans with automation/artificial intelligence and incentivizing even more outsourcing of American jobs to other countries, where they can pay them less to do the same work that an American employee used to do.  Or they simply refuse to hire entry-level folks, because they'd rather pay their more experienced employees the new minimum wage to do the same job.  Therefore, the people needing jobs the most, or needing to get their foot in the door to make some money, may be the least likely to get hired in those jobs.

Minimum wage jobs were NEVER supposed to be jobs people "lived" on, especially past their mid-twenties. :no:  These jobs were always meant for teenagers to get their feet wet, earn some of their own money before they left high school, etc.  After that, they were supposed to move on to a more career-based job position based on doing well in their previous job(s), or from any higher education or training they received since having their first entry-level job.

• Like 3

The “$15 minimum wage” and “tax the rich” arguments are nothing more than class warfare. It wouldn’t actually improve the lives of Americans overall, but it makes some people feel better to hear Bernie/AOC/Biden say it. Same with “free community college for all.” These are fringe policy proposals. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 2

I don’t agree with Carville on many issues, but he often speaks the truth about his own party. He’s right! Democrats are annoying as hell. It’s pretty much the same thing Van Jones said the other night. Keep it up with the “woke” bullshit! :giggle:

Edited by TeamAudra

if truck drivers quit and no supply chain and people cant buy xmas gifts or food voters will let them know in 2022. people are qutting over mandates rather than getting the shot . so where is any proof these mandates are working? im all for the vax much like many say it should be the choice of the person. 

Edited by bswanson

9 minutes ago, bswanson said:

if truck drivers quit and no supply chain and people cant buy xmas gifts or food voters will let them know in 2022. people are qutting over mandates rather than getting the shot . so where is any proof these mandates are working? im all for the vax much like many say it should be the choice of the person. 

It’s what they want. A significant portion of the party wants to destroy the economy as we know it, so they can “Build Back Better.”  It’s 100% intentional. 

• Like 2

Also 56/40 approval rating and 53/42 on handling of covid. :giggle:

Marco Rubio is in good shape too, btw. 

…..

“….And the Delta variant of COVID-19 has apparently not left lasting damage on the governor’s record, Orlando added….”

“…Orlando assessed the results this way: “Apparently the laissez-faire approach to the situation is matching up well with voters who want to move on from lasting restrictions. It remains to be seen what effect the special session will have on the governor’s popularity, but as the threat from COVID recedes, support for mandates seems to be weakening.”

The November session, Orlando continued, could prove to be “another chance for Ron DeSantis to boost his bona fides amongst 2024 primary voters in a relatively costless manner.”

As for the stance DeSantis has taken in opposing vaccination mandates for federally contracted workers, Orlando said the move allows DeSantis to draw a public contrast between himself and President Joe Biden. “Opposing President Biden is good politics right now, and anything that shows DeSantis fighting the president will get him in the spotlight,” Orlando said…..”

“…..Orlando said it is natural that DeSantis would be in the lead against all three Democrats so far, given the context. The governor’s approval rating is strong enough to mean that “voters won’t want to throw out a governor they approve of.” The national environment for Democrats, meanwhile, is “almost toxic,” Orlando said….”

• Thanks 1