The Drag Race Rankdown #2

Elliott

Coco Montrese

alyssa edwards coco montrese GIF

I do like Coco however in these noms I consider her to be a fair cut. She appeared on Season 5 where her storyline was her rivalry with Alyssa. Whilst Coco wasn’t one of my favourites in the challenges (she won one which was the roast and I honestly had forgotten she’d won that, I’m surprised), she was of course an iconic lip sync assassin. She was brilliant in all of her lip-syncs, her “Cold Hearted” lip-sync against Alyssa was my favorite. She didn’t even do badly in her last one but Detox just had the edge. I do really like Coco but she’s an easier cut for me here. 

Save Naomi Smalls

I always thought Coco did better than Detox in their lip sync, but Coco had no chance of surviving that lip sync anyway considering her storyline with Alyssa was done, and they needed Jinkx vs Rolaskatox for the top four. :haha: 

• Like 3

Yara Sofia (Season 3)

8231318.gif

source.gif

yara-sofia-flamenca.gif

Yara Sofia is an amazing spirit and a super talented queen. But out of the four remaining queens, Yara had the least remarkable time while on the show. Hailing from Puerto Rico, Yara Sofia slayed the competition in a way that I did not expect. The amount of amazing and creative runway looks that she provided, as well as her many hilarious moments on the show, cemented Yara as a RPDR legend. She really is a very underrated queen and I really think she contributed to the burgeoning success of RPDR. 

"Echar Palante" in Totally Leotarded. Her ridiculously wrong, but guilty pleasure performance as Amy Winehouse in Snatch Game. Whatever you want to call her performance in the stand-up comedy/roasting challenge? ICONIC. 

EVERY SINGLE RUNWAY LOOK. Honestly. Yara is one of the greatest look queens in the history of RPDR. 

Christmas Couture? SNATCHED.

Futurama Glamorama? SICKENING.

Favorite Drag? Storm from X-Men Realness.

Cake Couture? Stunning.

RuPaul's Hair Extravaganza Ball? ICONIC. EVERY SINGLE LOOK IS ICONIC.

Her looks were not only stunning, but innovative and creative. Yara stumbled along the way, during Snatch Game and during the patriotic message challenge. But she fought her way to the final four, and earned her spot in the semifinals. I still think watching Yara completely breakdown during the lip-sync and essentially send herself home against her sister Alexis...is one of the saddest moments in the history of the show.

Yara Sofia had heart and talent, and definitely deserved the title of Miss Congeniality. I think she is absolutely an all-star. But this is a fair placement.

SAVING: Ginger Minj (Season 7)

Monét X Change (All-Stars 4)

tumblr_psh3x4h4yK1rx7mj9o4_250.gifv

tumblr_pn18t3tzy81ws2d4ao1_400.gifv

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

"Gag, bitch."

About time. Monét X Change really soured on me after her tenure on All-Stars 4 + super public defense of Meghan McCain. This is all super unfortunate since she is honestly such a talented and hilarious queen, and I absolutely loved her post Season 10.

Monét returned to All-Stars 4 immediately after her Miss Congeniality title win on Season 10. I was super excited to see Monét, but feel conflicted about her casting. Between all of the touring, gigs, promo stuff for Season 10, I am really torn on whether casting Monét (or Monique) just yet was a fair decision to make. Monetary funds and planning time are big factors in the success of a queen on All-Stars, and Monét certainly did not have a ton of time to acquire a solid amount of funds or enough time to plan out successful looks on the show. 

This definitely impacted Monét when on the show. Evidence: her first week in the competition. Entrance look was a disaster. The recreated sponge outfit was somehow worse the second time, and I'd rather forget her performance of "Soak It Up" in the All-Star Talent Show Extravaganza. If Jasmine Masters had not been so horrendously bad/delusional, Monét may have gone home first that season. 

Monét scraped by after a terrible first week in the competition, but found her way to the top after her performance in the Super Girl Groups, Henny main challenge. Between her performance of "Errybody Say Love," a solid Henny look, and her gorgeous Eleguence runway look, Monét definitely earned a win that week. She lost the LSFYL against Valentina, but in the end showed that she did not come to the competition to leave early. 

Except she disappointed again just the following week. After nailing Snatch Game during Season 10, Monét had a tough job during the Snatch Game of Love. I really had high hopes for Monét, but watching her attempt at impersonating Whitney Houston was sad. Really sad. Monét was once again lucky that some of her competitors did far worse than her. I enjoyed her Boots the House Down runway look at least. She placed safe this week, which is fair.

Jersey Justice. "How 'Bout Them Cakes?" was a disaster. Monét sucked in this skit, honestly. Improv and comedy seem to be her thing, but yet she failed at those exact aspects of drag two weeks in a row. Monét found herself placing low for the second time in four weeks. Though this time she actually fell into the bottom two. She also had one of the weakest runways this week, choosing to pay homage to the infamous Kim Kardashian PAPER Magazine cover shoot.

This is when I thought Monét should have been eliminated from the competition. Obviously, Monique Heart would never eliminate her sister + more drama resulted from Latrice's shocking early elimination. But by this point, Monét had the weakest showing the competition. At least she performed well once again during the Roast In Peace challenge. Despite going first, Monét really killed the challenge. She then provided an iconic and sickening Angelic runway look, earning herself a second challenge win. Monét tied with Manila Luzon this week after the LSFYL, but did not get to send anybody home.

BECAUSE OF A STUPID TWIST OF COURSE. RETURNING QUEENS. DUH. Monét did not have to participate in the LaLaPaRUza, but her Eleganza look this week is really simple and boring.

Queens of Clubs. Monét had another solid week with this main challenge. The Blackhole. Aliens. Nightclub look is sickening. Signature Drink - Beam Me Up. Love it all. She also had a sickening Plastique Fantastique runway look as well. Monét is safe this week, which I definitely agree with. She finally had two strong weeks in a row. Took too long for that, but at least it happened.

RuPaul's Best Judy Race. Monét earned her third win this week after a solid makeover of her friend Patty into Patty Cash. Outfits were good, but nothing special. In fact, based on makeovers alone, Monét would rank fourth that week imo. However, the musical theatre performance number is definitely what earned her the win. Monét does a LSFYL against Naomi Smalls in a controversial and somewhat iconic moment. I think Monét actually earned the win tbh, since Naomi Smalls went way overboard. Monét actually tried to capture the essence of Judy Garland. Not that it matters. Since Monét also pulled Manila's lipstick. EW GROSS.

Three solid weeks in a row. Monét made the semifinals. She seemed to have turned things around in the competition. "Sex and the Kitty Girl 3" happened though. LOL. What a horrible skit. I almost cannot hold it against Monét, who portrayed the character of Kristin. But her performance was pretty bad, and landed her in the bottom for the third time in the competition. Monét was in danger of elimination again, but Latrice was easy pickings for the remaining queens.

Except her total lack of zoology knowledge could have earned her an elimination imo. Kitty Girl Couture that was not!!!!

Monét advanced to the finals. I feel conflicted because she definitely performed very well in the latter half of the competition, with a clear growth arc. But her first half of the competition is pretty weak. Monét exceeded in the finals though, and had her strongest performance in the competition at just the right time. 

"Super Queen" performance + look? Fantastic. Monét does a wonderful job when asked to lip-sync, so no surprise there. All-Star Eleganza runway look? ICONIC.

Final LSFYL? Iconic performance. Though she needs to be clocked for essentially looking the same in all three of her LSFYL outfits. The Pussycat wig reveal is hilarious. She stole the night without a doubt. Her top two placement does not feel deserved, but I think her strong performance in the finals gave her the edge over Monique Heart. WRONGFULLY SO.

The infamous tie. What is there to say that has not been said before? Feels icky and awkward. Poor choice. In poor taste. Etc. Monét did not deserve the win over Trinity, but she was of course crowned as one of two winners in a shocking moment for the series...and for all the queens as well.

This felt in poor taste because of the recent discourse surrounding RPDR and crowning only white winners for three-four years straight. All-Stars 4 had a cast that featured Black, Asian, and Latin queens primarily as a response. If RuPaul felt that strongly about awarding a Black queen with a win, especially on an All-Stars season, why not just...crown the Black queen? Sure, Monét did not logically deserve a win over Trinity. But it is not like Monét did nothing to merit a win either. The whole scenario caused quite the stir, and Monét handled a lot of criticism and backlash quite well.

Though I did not agree with the double crowning, I came to accept it after a few weeks, and was super excited to meet Monét X Change at DragCon!  We laughed and had a whole moment together, but things have changed since this time a year ago. Though her career has skyrocketed since her win, and she even has her own web series, Monét's involvement and reaction to the entire McCain situation soured my opinion of her. Unfortunate, but true. 

Anyways. Monét is super talented. Her run on All-Stars 4 should not advance her any further in this game, and I am glad she is finally eliminated.

2 minutes ago, Zoey0069 said:

I can’t warrant saving anyone from AS1 over someone from AS2. It was just a superior season. Even if I’m not a Detox fan.

AS1 was a questionable season, but I’d still save the guy who won after winning 60% of the season over the dual runner-up who somehow wasn’t in the B2 for the commercial challenge.

/still bitter

/impartial host

/I’m Cher, damn it 

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

AS1 was a questionable season, but I’d still save the guy who won after winning 60% of the season over the dual runner-up who somehow wasn’t in the B2 for the commercial challenge.

/still bitter

/impartial host

/I’m Cher, damn it 

I preferred Rujubee and Yarlexis 🙊

I also try to block AS1 from my brain.

Just now, Elliott said:

grumpy stewie griffin GIF

Also, my love for Shannel didn’t evolve until I saw her in Vegas. 😍 Now I appreciate how hard she works and how incredible her looks and lip syncs are.