The Drag Race Rankdown #2

Elliott

Shea and Adore are safe through Lily and Dee.

Cracker and Peppermint are cut by default. Zoey and Derek can decide who does each write-up.

Since Zoey can't do her write-up until tomorrow, once Derek posts his, we'll just move on with Vee's second set of most likely questionable nominations. Zoey and Derek will be saving in that round, while Lily and Dee will be cutting in that round.

Just now, FrogLenzen said:

I'll write them both and we can pretend you did one lol

😂 You really don’t have to! I’ll try if I can tonight but I’m behind with work and need to get a few bits done that I’ve put off because I’m lazy lol. 

I just don’t want to hold this up if everyone else is waiting. Give me until tonight (my time) and if I haven’t posted anything and you want it to progress then feel free? I really don’t mind. ❤️

2 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

I'll write them both and we can pretend you did one lol

Or that. :haha:

Also, I won't make a deal of it since I forgot to put it in the rules for this cycle, but going forward for this cycle - you cannot change your decision. If you say you are cutting someone, that decision is final. There are only four names, so letting everyone change will just overly complicate things as we just saw.

PEPPERMINT

season 9 9x6 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Peppermint was the runner-up on Season 9, and it an official lip sync assassin. Every time I see her name I think of Shea saying "who's after Peppermint? Why y'all acting brand new??" Anyway, Peppermint came into the competition kind of crunchy and was not a front-runner. She was beautiful but her looks were not as polished as some of the other queens. She absolutely bombed Snatch Game along with Cucu, and I remember screaming at my TV to send them both home when Ru announced the bottom 2. ESPECIALLY since I wasn't impressed with her Madonna look that week either. I was totally done. But then she seemed oddly confident in the talking head saying she was scared for Cynthia, and Peppermint turned out not only one of the best lip syncs ever but one of the clearest victories the show has ever seen. And I was an instant stan. Peppermint shared her story of being a transwoman on the show and I thought that was really brave. But something about her was just completely magnetic to me. I loved hearing her speak. I loved watching her perform. I hadn't changed my opinion of a queen mid-season that drastically since Alaska S5 (remember how whiny and horrible she was during the mini challenge week 1? yikes). Peppermint won the Michelle Visage roast challenge, and her line of "happy 90th birthday Michelle" to me is one of the wittiest they've ever had for the comedy challenges. Peppermint still struggled with some of the looks, and found herself in the bottom 2 again with Alexis, but Peppermint DID THE THING and finally removed Alexis from the competition. Stan.

Peppermint also did AWESOME in the Top 4 challenge, and to me she arguably won that week. So it makes sense that they didn't send her home, even though no one was EVER going to go home that week with the finale format they had planned. For the finale, it was the first year that they did lip sync for the crown, which suddenly made Peppermint a SERIOUS contender, when otherwise we'd all assume that her track record made her not viable. Trinity made the poor choice of picking Peppermint as a partner and was knocked out in 4th place when she likely had a big chance to win it (but honestly, Peppermint would have killed Shea too... Trinity's only chance would be to pick Shea and I think RuPaul would have picked Shea... Trinity was kind of screwed that episode no matter what she chose). So Peppermint made it all the way to Top 2 and battled Sasha for the crown. Peppermint did well in the final lip sync but there was no way she'd beat Sasha when you compare track records, looks, the rose petals, etc. Also Sasha did awesome in the final lip sync too and proved she doesn't need rose petals to do well. I love Peppermint and she deserves better than this, but oh well.

MIZ CRACKER

surprised episode 11 GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

episode 11 hair flip GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

I also love Miz Cracker (or "Mix Cracker" as Elliott has on the front page lmao), but there's just not an argument that she deserves to stay over Shea and Adore S6. Oh well again. Cracker was a contestant on Season 10, and came in as a front-runner IMO. She had a huge following and did well during the challenges early. The producers tried to force a Cracker vs. Aquaria storyline, and Aquaria, being the sweet young queen that she is, fell for the producer's antics right away and it almost became a huge thing. Also thanks to The Vixen for egging that on. Ugh. Cracker was in the top for the first challenge and Aquaria was super salty about it and was made that the make-up was too similar? Ok whatever. Aquaria eventually realized that storyline was not helping either of them and let it go. Cracker also was in the top for the Ball challenge, despite the hair-kini she wore that people hate so much hahaha. But Cracker still didn't win the challenge. Cracker also did well for the improv challenge as Dr. Dill (sooooo funny "I actually am a pickle" lmaooooo) but again did not win. For some reason, Cracker struggled to get the challenge wins, and it created a false narrative that she was good but not the best and couldn't build momentum. I thought she did well in the Cher challenge but the judges weren't feeling that one either. Cracker FINALLY secured a win during the makeover challenge, and it was soooo well deserved because Miz Cookie is a legend and was beautiful. But then RuPaul kept pestering her to break out of her shell and admit to having an inner saboteur or whatever the hell Ru was obsessed with, and then had one of the worst challenges in RuPaul history with the evil twins. Cracker did not self flagellate enough for RuPaul and she was put in the bottom 2 against.... uh oh.... Kameron Michaels. I'm torn because on one hand I feel like if Cracker did better in the lip sync that she would have been saved, but on the other hand I think that RuPaul was legitimately annoyed with Cracker and took the chance to send her home. If they really wanted to they could have edited the lip sync so that Cracker seemed like a more clear winner, but from what we saw I probably think Kameron won it. Also, it might have less to do with getting rid of Cracker and more to do with keeping Kameron, who probably seemed like such an interesting/mysterious character to the judges and was an awesome performer (that crazy leg thing during this lip syncs... like who does that??? so simple but effective). Anyway, Cracker is great and also deserved better in the show and this rankdown.

24 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Shea and Adore are safe through Lily and Dee.

Cracker and Peppermint are cut by default. Zoey and Derek can decide who does each write-up.

Since Zoey can't do her write-up until tomorrow, once Derek posts his, we'll just move on with Vee's second set of most likely questionable nominations. Zoey and Derek will be saving in that round, while Lily and Dee will be cutting in that round.

giphy.gif

Actually, there was sound reasoning for why Trinity picked Peppermint in the finale. They both knew that production really wanted Sasha and Shea to face off in the final two, so they made a deal to pick one another to guarantee at least one of them would be in the Top 2.

Also I will never forget when the S9 finale taping spoilers went live on the Drag Race reddit, and it was a meltdown like no other since everyone had assumed Shea and Trinity were going to be the top two. :rofl:

But also :broken: as a Shea stan.

Just now, vee_ said:

I remember people saying Shea was a lipsync assassin...

Me as a Shea stan knowing the AS5 format will involve her lip syncing against actual lip sync icons to win a challenge:

titus andromedon good luck GIF

• Like 1

Then again, Shea did slay the Top 4 lip sync challenge in S9's last pre-finale episode:

CATEGORY IS... SLAY COULEE

LOOK AT THE EDGES I SNATCHED TODAY

I SEE YOU WATCHING HOW I SASHAY

THE OTHER GIRLS BETTER GET OUT MY WAY

Art. :wub: 

• Like 1

Just now, Deeee said:

Shea and Peppermint slayed “Category Is...” 

But all four queens put in work.

My ranking of Category Is would be Shea > Peppermint's performance > Sasha > Peppermint's verse >>>>>>>>>> Trinity