🎶👑Wé Ani Fan Thread👑🎶

StarWalker1

On 4/11/2023 at 10:33 AM, Hsamid said:

I saw comments comparing her high belts to Jennifer Hudson and I really see it. Watch Hudson's rendition of ain't no way and the tonal similarities in the high notes are very evident.

Wé's range is insane, with a little bit more control in her higher register she'll be even better than she already is (already a top 5 singer this season imo)

Oh I saw those too and definitely agree. We isn't quite there yet but she does have the potential to be a Jennifer Hudson level vocalist. When she did the "Don't try to be someone you're noOoOoOot" that had Jennifer written all over it, except not as controlled. Here's hoping she'll have her big flawless moment performance somewhere down the line.

• Like 3

I think song choice is going to be key for We'. 

In my opinion, I would like for her to be settled a little bit more in what kind of artists she wants to be, and showcase that more. She's kinda been all over the place.

Song choice is also why I believe she lost on The Voice when she was younger. 

She has sang a pop song (Demi Lovato), a kind neo-soul song (her original song, Good For), a jazzy, duet with Pjae (Hit Em Up Style), and a powerhouse ballad (Aint No Way by Aretha Franklin). She's getting ready to do Edge of Midnight by Miley Cyrus.

I have listened to her own music so I know what kind of artist she is. But I need her to showcase that on American Idol.

Right now, I don't think she's showcasing what kind of artist she wants to be. Is she a neo-soul/r&b artist like India Arie, Alicia Keys (her The Voice mentor) or a R&B powerhouse diva (like Jennifer Hudson, Whitney) or a pop girl (like Rihanna, Beyonce)? That remains to be seen. 

That's my only criticism. 

Edited by BlkCountryFan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BlkCountryFan said:

I think song choice is going to be key for We'. 

In my opinion, I would like for her to be settled a little bit more in what kind of artists she wants to be, and showcase that more. She's kinda been all over the place.

Song choice is also why I believe she lost on The Voice when she was younger. 

She has sang a pop song (Demi Lovato), a kind neo-soul song (her original song, Good For), a jazzy, duet with Pjae (Hit Em Up Style), and a powerhouse ballad (Aint No Way by Aretha Franklin). She's getting ready to do Edge of Midnight by Miley Cyrus.

I have listened to her own music so I know what kind of artist she is. But I need her to showcase that on American Idol.

Right now, I don't think she's showcasing what kind of artist she wants to be. Is she a neo-soul/r&b artist like India Arie, Alicia Keys (her The Voice mentor) or a R&B powerhouse diva (like Jennifer Hudson, Whitney) or a pop girl (like Rihanna, Beyonce)? That remains to be seen. 

That's my only criticism. 

Idk I kinda see it different, I think Pop/Soul is her identity with a jazz/classical background. I appreciate that she's not singing songs I'd expect her to do, otherwise it'll get boring and predictable. 

• Like 2

I honestly agree that Wé is probably going in too many different directions already but I agree with StarWalker that she is a cross between Pop and Soul. Her voice sounds good on both modern and classic and that gives her lots of versatility.

Personally, I want her to go mostly modern but maybe doing older songs will give her a better shot at the win.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, StarWalker1 said:

Idk I kinda see it different, I think Pop/Soul is her identity with a jazz/classical background. I appreciate that she's not singing songs I'd expect her to do, otherwise it'll get boring and predictable. 

19 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I honestly agree that Wé is probably going in too many different directions already but I agree with StarWalker that she is a cross between Pop and Soul. Her voice sounds good on both modern and classic and that gives her lots of versatility.

Personally, I want her to go mostly modern but maybe doing older songs will give her a better shot at the win.

There’s such a fine line between being too predictable and being too versatile.  Wé  isn’t predictable but she needs to be versatile without being too versatile.

Oh and what type of song is “Edge of Midnight”?  Pop?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

There’s such a fine line between being too predictable and being too versatile.  Wé  isn’t predictable but she needs to be versatile without being too versatile.

Oh and what type of song is “Edge of Midnight”?  Pop?

I listened to it it's kind of a pop/rock record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CoOLtQbmJI&ab_channel=MileyCyrusVEVO

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 4:59 PM, FloorWax said:

I'm personally loving how versatile she's been so far and it's not something I ever expected. She can rap? Then I say, go on ahead and perform a song with rap/singing.. But probably not conducive to getting votes on AI.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hsamid said:

I'm personally loving how versatile she's been so far and it's not something I ever expected. She can rap? Then I say, go on ahead and perform a song with rap/singing.. But probably not conducive to getting votes on AI.

Unfortunately, that probably isn’t conducive to getting votes.  I wouldn’t mind it — I watched a show on PBS called Ghostwriter where one of the main characters wrote rap songs — but more conservative voters would mind and the rap songs on Ghostwriter were more kid friendly than the ones Wé would probably sing.

• Like 2

I actually watched all the performances this time so I can say I liked her best lol

Is that song a mashup or something? I recognized Midnight Sky and Edge of Seventeen but never heard of them together like that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

I actually watched all the performances this time so I can say I liked her best lol

Is that song a mashup or something? I recognized Midnight Sky and Edge of Seventeen but never heard of them together like that

It's a remix version of both songs from Miley's 2020 album, "Plastic Hearts" (Excellent record btw, HIGHLY recommend!)