Top Country Singer Rankdown

QueenKalie

CHRIS' HONORARY WRITE-UP : LORETTA LYNN

Loretta-Lynn-1961-portrait-bw-billboard-1548.jpg loretta-lynnDavid-McClister--2000.jpg

Often referred to as the Queen of Country Music - like many legends that came before and after her - Loretta Lynn has a career that spans almost six decades with 46 studio albums to her name  as a solo artists - the first one being released in 1963 with her most recent one released in 2021, with many of them being critically acclaimed for her country.  On top of releasing an impressive number of studio albums, she has also received a multitude of singles - a total of 86 singles, to be exact - with 16 of these singles climbing all the way to the top of the chart.  And she also released 10 albums as part of her work with Conway Twitty with 4 of these albums charting at the top of the Country albums chart, and 13 singles with 5 of them being #1 hits for them both. 

But we cannot talk about Loretta without talking about her groundbreaking role in Country music - wether it be for her singing, her storytelling, breaking barriers after barriers, and of course, inspiring many generations of country singers.  But most importantly in her career was her pushing the boundaries in country music, especially a genre often seen as the conservative genre, and this despite her considering herself conservative. She went on to sing about stuff that were important to women and they were important to Loretta, in return - sex, unfiltered love, philandering husbands and their persistent mistresses, birth control, repeated childbirth, double standards, and being a widow. At the time, the things mentioned were certainly not important enough for country radio but she still fought & ensure it was heard by her audience - nothing has changed much in that regards ; She even faced blacklisting and some of her songs being banned by Country radio. 

Despite all the challenges that she faced in her professional career & personal life, she has became one of the most legendary country singer in the business.  She is seen as a legend for many reasons, but for many female country singers, she is best known for having the success as her male counterpart : She was the first female to have a gold single, and the first one to be awarded the Entertainer of the Year at the CMA & ACM - she has since went on to becoming one of the most awarded female country recording artist.  However, the most important accolades that she has received is certainly being a member of the Grand Ole Opry, inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame, and awarded the  Presidential Medal of Freedom. 

In term of her music, she is been known for the following songs : "Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind)", "You Ain't Woman Enough (To Take My Man)", "Coal Miner's Daughter", "The Pill", "One's On The Way", "Rated X", "You're Looking at Country", "Dear Uncle Sam", "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man", "Somebody Somewhere (Don't Know What He's Missin' Tonight)", and  "I'm a Honky Tonk Girl". 

I certainly respect that her voice / style may not be for everyone, but as I've stated before, Loretta Lynn is the definition of country music and without her, I am not sure we would have many of our modern country superstars.  And now, here's some of my personal favourite of Loretta - all of them being her singles as I am more familiar of them than the rest of her material.

Also I just want to post this recitation of "Coal Miner's Daughter" because it's truly special to hear her recite the lyrics rather than singing them:

Edited by *Chris
  • Like 3

Ashley Monroe

ashley-monroe-8b26d711-36b8-43bb-b091-39

Ashley Monroe is from Knoxville, Tenneessee and was born in 1986. She has released five albums and three EPs, as well as three albums with the Pistol Annies (with Miranda Lambert and Angeleena Presley), with Satisfied and I Don't Want To being her highest-charting songs. I Don't Want To featired Ronnie Dunn of the duo Brooks & Dunn, or Boring & Dull as I prefer to think of them. I first came to know of her through her song Pony as I posted above, but her song (and album) The Blade is also a standout. A good spot for her!

Actually surprised that Ashley lasted as long as she did. 

I will post some of my favourite songs of hers - won't be posting the videos to not make this page slower than it is :haha: 

Like a Rose :

Like a Rose

Two Weeks Late

Used

Weed Instead of Roses

The Blade :

The Blade

Bombshell

Has Anybody Ever Told You

Dixie

Mayflowers

Sparrow:

Oprhan

Hands on You

Mother's Daugther

Rita

She Wakes Me Up

Edited by *Chris

77a375e678f44f62.gif?auto=compress&w=128

An incredible singer-songwriter & an authentic storyteller, Tiera Kennedy is a breath of fresh air in the genre.  With her incredible voice, Tiera Kennedy is seen as one of the rising star in the genre after the release of "Found it In You" - an incredible song - and being signed to Valory Music Co. - a sister label to Big Machine Records.   I am absolutely looking forward to seeing what she has in stores for us after songs like "Found It In You" and "Not Your Girl" ; For those who haven't heard it, here's "Found It In You":

Carlene Carter

635963139804194899-Carlene-Carter-by-Rus

Carlene Carter is an American country music singer and songwriter from Gallatin, Tennessee. Carlene is the daughter of June Carter Cash & Carl Smith. Her mother June is in the game, so will someone cut June right after or will she stay? We shall see what happens. 

Carlene Carter has been active in the country scene since 1978 where she has released 12 albums and 22 singles throughout her career. Some of her albums include: Carlene Carter, Musical Shapes, C'est C Bon , Little Love Letters, Stronger, Sad Clowns & Hillbillies and others. Of Carlene's singles, she has songs such as: "Do It in a Heartbeat," "Old Photographs," "Meant It for a Minute," "I Fell in Love," "Come On Back," "Every Little Thing," "I Love You 'Cause I Want To," "He Will Be Mine," "Little Black Train" and more. I'm not sure what Carlene's biggest or most well-known song is as I've seen a few of them have peaked at #3 on the U.S. Hot Country Songs chart. I will post "Every Little Thing" as that song has the most views on Youtube from what I'm seeing.

June Carter Cash

junecartercash_hero.jpg

Wally asked for this in his write up so I will deliver it I supppose. June Carter Cash was an American singer, songwriter and dancer. A five-time Grammy award-winner, she was a member of the Carter Family and the second wife of singer Johnny Cash. Prior to her marriage to Cash, she was professionally known as June Carter.  Carter Cash won five Grammy Awards and was inducted into the Christian Music Hall of Fame in 2009.

The Wreckers

qqlWXLXpHioGhzB0L2l56bmnZc=&risl=&pid=Im

The Wreckers were country music duo Michelle Branch and Jessica Harp. They released their debut album called Stand Still, Look Pretty in 2006. It had a #1 single, "Leave the Pieces". They split in 2008 to work on their solo careers.

1 hour ago, QueenKalie said:

June Carter Cash

Again, surprised that she made it as far as she did - if I had it my way, she wouldn't have outlasted some of the other legends.

I am not too familiar with her materials but always enjoyed these two from her:

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

With most of the big names + favorites cut thus far, we're bound to have a lot of these ~surprised/shocked they made it this far~ reactions to those that are getting cut now. :dead: 

Mine are mainly pleasantly surprise - not a bad thing, just impressed that they made it this far as they weren't on my radar at the start of the rankdown to place as high as they did :haha: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1