Top Country Singer Rankdown

QueenKalie

1 hour ago, ~Tom~ said:

Brandy Clark

Love Brandy Clark - I'm a firm believer that she deserves to be more successful than she is, but we all know why she ain't experiencing a great deal of success compare to other artists who aren't as talented as she is.  Not only is she a fantastic writer, she's an incredible storyteller - one of the best in the business.

Will post my favourites / the highlights below ;

rs-148649-brandy-clark-final-itunes-cover-20130823-101736-1381255841.jpg
Pray to Jesus

Stripes

What'll Keep Me Out of Heaven

Hold my Hand

Take a Little Pill

The Day She Got Divorced

bc-cover_sq-214061565931dffd6f43733d2bfb448b2aa09c63.jpg

Girl Next Door

Homecoming Queen

Love Can Go to Hell

Three Kids No Husband

Since You've Gone to Heaven

Your%20Life%20Is%20a%20Record_Brandy%20Clark.jpg

Love is a Fire

Pawn Shop

Who You Thought I Was

Apologies

Can We Be Strangers

Remember Me Beautiful

Same Devil

SONGWRITING CREDITS

Better Dig Two - The Brand Perry

Mama's Broken Heart - Miranda Lambert

It Is What It is - Kacey Musgraves

Follow Your Arrow - Kacey Musgraves

Hollywood - Maggie Rose

Late to the Party - Kacey Musgraves

This Town - Kacey Musgraves

Miserable - Kacey Musgraves

Liar Liar - Aubrey Sellers

Unlove You - Jennifer Nettles

Playing with Fire - Jennifer Nettles

636317596669878319-LindiOrtega.jpg

Often referred to as Canada's best kept secret, Lindi Ortega is a Canadian country singer who made a name for herself with her indie / western sound.  Her voice is certainly one of a kind, and she has even been compared to the likes of Dolly Parton, Johnny Cash and Emmylou Harris - what a prestigious honour to be compare to them.  Her career really took off in 2011 following the release of her first full-lenght album,  Little Red Boots - it's an album that brings you back to the roots of country music, and it features many great songs but I have a little "coup de coeur" for I'm No Elvis Presley, Little Red Boots and Angels; And she was nominated for 1 Juno Awards as well as being long-listed for the 2012 Polaris Music Prize which is very prestigious honour in Canada.   She followed this album with "Cigarettes & Truckstops" in 2012 which was once again met with great praises, and found itself on the 2013 Polaris Music Prize longlist - the highlight of the album is certainly the title track, in my mind.  In 2013, she released "Tin Star" which was the first album of hers that I've listened to - it includes songs like Tin Star and Gypsy Child.  Since then, she has released two more albums, "Faded Gloryville" and "Liberty" - both two great praises.  

Considering the remaining artists, I am fine with letting Lindi Ortega go here - she made it way further than I had imagine and it certainly make my little Canadian heart happy. And now, here's two songs of hers - one being "Ashes" and one being a cover of "Desperado" :

CHRIS' HONORARY WRITE-UP : PATSY CLINE

Patsy-Cline.jpg

In the world of country music, Patsy Cline's a household name where she is often seen as more influential singer of the 20th century but more importantly, a female singer who paved the way for many artists in the genre.  She was seen as one of the first country music artist to find cross-over to pop music - yes, this was at a time where pop music was more classical pop music - but it was still something was unseen at the time ; She certainly paved the way for artists like Dolly Parton, Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, Kelsea Ballerini and Maren Morris. 

With a career that started in the early 1950s, she found success early-on after performing on various television and radio shows - in the day, you could find yourself scoring some hit songs by simply showing up on these shows as this was the only access people had to your music.  This was the case in 1957 when she scored her first major hit with "Walkin' After Midnight" - it went all the way to #2 on the Country charts while finding success on the Pop side, as well.  Personally, this one is one of my favourite songs of Patsy and it is certainly worthy of praised as one of the greatest song in Country music. 

Following the success of "Walkin' After Midnight",  she was unable to record any major hits which led to her wanting to restart her career. And she did just that in 1960 when she relocated to Nashville and was able to find success - it all started with another signature song of hers, "I Fall to Pieces", which went all the way to #1.   She would follow suit with the release of "Crazy" - the most recognizable song of hers - which became another #1 hit on the country chart and her first Top 10 hit on the pop chart.   And she continued to dominate the Country charts with songs like "She's Got You", "When I Get Through With You", "So Wrong" and "Leavin' On Your Mind" - and all of this made her a household name in the world of Country music where she became one of the few female to be headlining shows and becoming a member of the Grand Ole Opry. 

At the height of her career, Patsy Cline tragically passed away in a plane crash along with fellow country performers, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and manager, Randy Hughes.  Many consider this the day that country music died. 

Following her untimely passing,  many compilation albums were released as well as songs that were recorded for her upcoming album - some of these songs included "Sweet Dreams", "He Called Me Baby" and "Faded Love", and all of them became hit songs for Patsy.  And in 1973, she was inducted in the Country Music Hall of Fame, where she became the first female to be inducted in the Hall of Fame.

Remembered as one of the Best Country artists of all-time, Patsy is also considered to be one of the most influential performer in the industry - she has influenced individuals outside of country music.  And she certainly played a major role for women in country music, and one of these reason was certainly the role of a friend and mentor that she played for artists like Loretta Lynn, June Carter Cash, Jan Howard, and Dottie West. And her legacy lives on in the works of modern country singers from Reba to Linda Ronstadt to Sara Evans to Kacey Musgraves to Margo Price to Trixie Mattel to Cyndi Lauper. 

And now, these songs are the one that made me fall in love with Patsy Cline after discovering her, in part to Loretta Lynn's biopic, "Coal Miner's Daughter" :

• Like 2

Kitty Wells 

00_kitty_wells1.jpg

Options are some what limited at this point so you gotta pick the people who you would rather not see win at this point. So I have decided to cut Kitty Wells.  Kitty broke down a barrier to women in country music with her 1952 hit recording "It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels", which also made her the first female country singer to top the U.S. country charts and turned her into the first female country superstar. “It Wasn’t God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels” would also be her first of several pop crossover hits. Wells is the only artist to be awarded top female vocalist awards for 14 consecutive years. Her chart-topping hits continued until the mid 1960s, paving the way for and inspiring a long list of female country singers who came to prominence in the 1960s.

The Highwomen

highwomen-cutxcut-1.jpg

Oh another group. Sorry like I said before if you are not the Chicks or The Judds you shouldn't be here still so I am going to cut them after all this is by far a super generous spot for them to place. But I am today's year old when I realized Marren Morris has a band. Like what mind blown right now lol. I had no idea this was her band, I guess that is why it is still here.

1 hour ago, *Diana said:

The Highwomen

But I am today's year old when I realized Marren Morris has a band. Like what mind blown right now lol. I had no idea this was her band, I guess that is why it is still here.

LMAOOO this is me right now. :dead:

Maren secretly making it to the Final 15 without us (well two of us) knowing. :wub: 

Wanda Jackson

OIP.Mwv9wZWOg4-yWUy_PA_SeAHaHa?pid=ImgDe

Wanda LaVonne Jackson is a singer and songwriter. She has recorded and released music in the genres of rock, country, and gospel. She was among the first women to have a career in rock and roll, recording a series of singles that gave her the nickname "The Queen of Rockabilly". 

DOTTIE WEST

dottie-west-death-630x420.jpg?w=980&q=75

Dorothy Marie Marsh West was an American country music singer and songwriter. Along with her friends and fellow recording artists Patsy Cline and Loretta Lynn, she is considered one of the genre's most influential and groundbreaking female artists. West's career started in the 1960s, with her top-10 hit, "Here Comes My Baby Back Again", which won her a Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance in 1965, the first woman in country music to receive a Grammy. I really love her stage name, Dottie, it's so cute and her voice is good but we're nearing the end so I'm just trying to ensure that one of my 7 faves left wins!

• Like 1

Deana Carter

330px-Deana_Carter_2014.JPG

Deana Carter first came to prominence in the 1990s, more specifically in 1996, with her debut album, “Did I Shave My Legs?”. It was certified 5x multi-platinum and the first single from it was "Strawberry Wine", which I'm sure most of us know. It reached #1 on the country charts, as did her other singles, "We Danced Anyway" and "How Did I Get There". She has released eight albums in total. There are other country singers I like more in this final lineup so out she goes. 

• Like 2

Pam Tillis

pam-tillis-2.jpg?w=980&q=75

For today's cut, I've decided to go with Pam Tillis. Pam Tillis is a country singer/songwriter, record producer and actress, who has been active in the scene since 1978. Some of her biggest music accomplishments include winning the Vocal Event of the Year award for "I Don't Need Your Rockin' Chair" at the 1993 CMAs, a Grammy Award for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals in 1999 for "Same Old Train" as well as the 1994 Country Music Association award for Female Vocalist of the Year.  She was also inducted into the Grand Ole Opry in 2000.

Pam released 13 albums and 45 singles throughout her career. Some of her albums include: Put Yourself in My Place, Sweetheart's Dance, All of This Love, Thunder & Roses, RhineStoned, amongst others. Pam Tillis also did two collaborative albums with Lorrie Morgan with albums like Dos Divas and Come See Me and Come Lonely. Some of Pam's well known singles include: "One of Those Things," "Those Memories of You," "Don't Tell Me What to Do," "Maybe It Was Memphis," "Shake the Sugar Tree," "Let That Pony Run," "Mi Vida Loca (My Crazy Life)," "In Between Dances," "All the Good Ones Are Gone" and many others. I think we're at the Top 10 stage? Pam is one of the ones I least care about so I'm fine with her going now. Very well done to her making it this far. I'm not sure which one song to post so I will give you all an extra treat and post two songs from Pam.

• Sad 4