🌻 Girl Named Tom Fan Thread 🌻

Bk1234

1 hour ago, nytsch said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvxnLk_x1lE/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet&igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Idk how to embed the thing but this is the post about their single

Great news, thanks! I don't do Instagram so I can see the page but not their story. Is there a clip in there by any chance? Thanks again.

Edited by WastedinMemphis

On 8/10/2023 at 4:40 AM, Es1234 said:

They've been posting on Instagram with 'what a view'. I looked on the BMI site that lists songs and they have one called that. So hopefully it'll be released soon as the first single off their new album?!

I'm not sure exactly what everything on that site means, but saw that about 15 of those songs have new publisher info. So maybe those would be on their new album?

I took a peek. I suspect that the three publishers are companies set up for the three of them. If you expand them, they all trace to a common LLC in Nashville.

When you expand the entry for What a View, you can see the three publishers, and if you expand the publisher, you get a catalog button. If you expand that catalog button, you get a list of 15 songs performed by GNT that includes What a View, but only a few of which I recognized (one was on the Christmas EP).  I'm guessing you saw this list in some format. Link.

It's probably right that some of these will be on whatever they release. It doesn't include some other relatively new songs that they were playing for a while like Roses and Waters - those don't have a publisher listed in the database.

If you expand the individual songs on the linked list, you can see that they have a variety of cowriters. A singer-songwriter named Sam Derosa has a co-write credit on What a View, for example.  Rolling Stone did a small spot on her and her last single. Link. I didn't recognize most of the names.

Getting close - looking forward!

Checked the list of 15 in YouTube - found eight of the new songs that may or may not be on the album (some have been posted before, this gets them together). These are mostly just before or just after I saw them in Atlanta. I like! I need to listen further but Tell The People may be my fav.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I took a peek. I suspect that the three publishers are companies set up for the three of them. If you expand them, they all trace to a common LLC in Nashville.

When you expand the entry for What a View, you can see the three publishers, and if you expand the publisher, you get a catalog button. If you expand that catalog button, you get a list of 15 songs performed by GNT that includes What a View, but only a few of which I recognized (one was on the Christmas EP).  I'm guessing you saw this list in some format. Link.

It's probably right that some of these will be on whatever they release. It doesn't include some other relatively new songs that they were playing for a while like Roses and Waters - those don't have a publisher listed in the database.

If you expand the individual songs on the linked list, you can see that they have a variety of cowriters. A singer-songwriter named Sam Derosa has a co-write credit on What a View, for example.  Rolling Stone did a small spot on her and her last single. Link. I didn't recognize most of the names.

That's interesting, I hadn't really expanded everything. I did wonder why there were 3 publishers and found it a coincidence one of them was called Walnut Hills. Guessing that's the one set up for Josh.

I think all of those 15 songs have cowriters. Which might make sense that the record company at least wants some input on each song. Roses and Waters don't have any cowriters listed. I hope those 2 will still be on the album as they are easy top 5 songs for me, and Waters actually pre-dates their time on the Voice, I believe.

Given that, I kinda hope the influence of their cowriters has been minimal as I really want to hear GNT's vision.

They posted on Instagram before about working with Sam Derosa, they wrote Stay the Night with her and another. Which is a catchy enough song and a great last song of the show.

It's nowhere near the quality of Roses or Waters though.

From the ones you've posted (thanks for the list!), I have heard all songs live except for Get a Little Lost.

Like you, I also really liked Tell the People. It's easily the best song of the ones that are new for this year's tour. Bit of a Joni vibe there and lots of chills hearing that one live.

Apart from the ones you've listed, there's also at least one video on Youtube of Outta the Blue. I'm not able to find it right now, but I think it was called GNT takes the stage or something like that. Has them starting with My Journey and then do Outta the Blue afterwards.

There's also a video somewhere of Let You Go, which was awesome live too. It doesn't have a publisher listed though and cowriter apparently is the same guy they collaborated with on his song Every Story. Let You Go has a great extended note by Bekah and feels a bit theatrical/musical/cabaret (not sure on the correct word). Like it should only ever be experienced live.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 5:12 PM, Es1234 said:

Apart from the ones you've listed, there's also at least one video on Youtube of Outta the Blue. I'm not able to find it right now, but I think it was called GNT takes the stage or something like that. Has them starting with My Journey and then do Outta the Blue afterwards.

Outta the Blue is the second song on this video - starting at 4:00. Pretty good recording. Thanks for the tip!

So we have 9 of the 14 on the list (subtracting That's What Christmas is For, from the EP). It's interesting that What a View isn't among them - I recalled all of these once I heard them again though I didn't have names for them till now. I don't recall What a View but we'll see when they release it. 

It'll be interesting to see which make the album, if album it is. I'd bet on Tell The People (agree about the Joni vibe, though I hear it more sometimes than others), Still Wish You Were Mine, Get a Little Lost, Asking for a Friend and Stay the Night and wouldn't be surprised for substantially all of these. We're missing 4 on the BMI Songview list considering What a View's upcoming release, and there may be others - like something wholly from another writer or a cover or two. It would surprise me a little if there's not a cover, given their skill in adaptations. Pentatonix does a lot of them.

If anyone wants to go hunting, the four that we haven't found from the BMI list are Ever Since (3 co-writers), Everybody's Living, Ninety Something and Wish I Was in Love With You.

What fun!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

Outta the Blue is the second song on this video - starting at 4:00. Pretty good recording. Thanks for the tip!

So we have 9 of the 14 on the list (subtracting That's What Christmas is For, from the EP). It's interesting that What a View isn't among them - I recalled all of these once I heard them again though I didn't have names for them till now. I don't recall What a View but we'll see when they release it. 

It'll be interesting to see which make the album, if album it is. I'd bet on Tell The People (agree about the Joni vibe, though I hear it more sometimes than others), Still Wish You Were Mine, Get a Little Lost, Asking for a Friend and Stay the Night and wouldn't be surprised for substantially all of these. We're missing 4 on the BMI Songview list considering What a View's upcoming release, and there may be others - like something wholly from another writer or a blockbuster cover or two. It would surprise me a little if there's not a juicy cover, given their skill in adaptations. Pentatonix does a lot of them.

If anyone wants to go hunting, the four that we haven't found from the BMI list are Ever Since (3 co-writers), Everybody's Living, Ninety Something and Wish I Was in Love With You.

What fun!

Yes, that was the one I meant, thanks for posting it!

I think maybe What a View is a little newer, so they haven't performed it live very often yet. I'm also expecting virtually all of them to be on the album, I wouldn't know which ones to leave out. I'm hoping California does make it, that's been a top 5 for me ever since I heard it last year.

I don't know that a song wholly from another writer would make sense, I would think they'd at least want some input. But who knows. Another 60's/70's cover of definitely welcome. Their 3-guitar cover of the Chain was amazing!

Having heard most of these songs live, it'll be interesting to compare the studio versions to these live versions once the album drops

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 2:35 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

The post text reads, "“Too many cooks, maybe, but the sausage is gettin’ made and it’s gonna blow your mind.”

https://www.threads.net/@girlnamedtom/post/Cufr24XxJh2

GNT post from the studio last month -  a reminder of where they were in the process - lots of "cooks." lol  They sounded a little frustrated but positive, I thought. Excited for them and curious to hear this first one.

On 8/12/2023 at 11:42 AM, WastedinMemphis said:

Sam Derosa won an episode of Songland and was signed to the record label/imprint run by Shane McAnally, one of the Songland judges. 

She is a co-writer of some PTX songs, which is probably where GNT found her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cv-3JL5AAwq/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Still on my IDF vacation that probably won’t be ending anytime soon (well, at least until Someone648 posts the next set of clues for his thread) but I heard the preview of GNT’s upcoming single and I had to share my thoughts!

Really like how this is sounding. The vocal production is already much better than the Christmas album songs and it’s a got a throwback pop sound while still being contemporary. Can’t wait to have it on streaming!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwDRhsSgXPT/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

GNT will be performing at the Hana Hou festival in Hawaii on Sept 9th. The proceeds go to support Maui.

There is also a Livestream available, tickets through hanahoufest.com

Depending on where you are located, the time zone might work for you.

Tickets run at $50 I believe, but part of that goes to help the community there.

I probably won't be able to make it due to the time zone, but it looks a cool lineup! It includes Jake Shimabukuro and Mick Fleetwood

Just now, WastedinMemphis said:

I like it. It's a bit of a different sound for them but it's very fresh and bright, well-done.

I was literally just about to post!! :haha: I love this song so much! It is so fresh and cheery (something that is much-needed in my playlist of mostly sad songs lol.) 

I am also so so proud of them. 🥺 Watching them get from the Voice to having their own vevo video... it just makes me so happy! 🙂 

• Like 2

I'm so happy for them that they've got new music out, hope it does well! I'll be playing it a bunch, for sure.

It is very cheery and bright, kinda feel like it should've come out at the start of summer instead. It's also very catchy and the lyrics are good.

For me personally, the feel of it is a bit too generic current century pop though. I'd love to have songs that are more emotional, a more 60's/70's vibe meets the now, and more pronounced harmonies (rather than it feel like Bekah with 2 interchangeable background singers). Songs like Waters, Roses, Tell the People. Those are the kind of songs that give me chills every time and those are the ones to me where GNT truly shine and that are instantly recognisable as GNT songs.

But it's still a catchy song and cool video, I'll be playing it a lot until their album drops and some of those other songs will take over.

• Like 1

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/girl-named-tom-drop-what-a-view-amid-frustration-with-record-label.htm - excerpt

"In a recent interview, with Q 96.5 ahead of a hometown show in Bryan, Ohio, Bekah explained why fans have had to wait so long for their first single. While the band has been writing non-stop, the label has not given the green light on any of the band’s new songs.

"Bekah explained in the interview that the trio is happy to be releasing music on a major record label like Republic Records, a deal that is part of The Voice winners’ prize package. However, she shares that they have been writing songs, but, “we haven’t been able to release them….which has been frustrating…” She continued, “We haven’t released a single since The Voice.”

"She described the deal as “awesome” and that the group is “thankful” for the deal. However, “There are people in New York who listen to our music that we write and they tell us yes it can go, or no it can’t.” And unfortunately, other than the Christmas album they put out last year, “We’ve been getting a lot of nos for the last two years.”

“We are finally so excited to say we are announcing our first single,” she adds announcing the release of “What a View.” “We got a yes!” Bekah added, “We’ve been writing with a lot of people in Nashville, and then travelling to LA to write there too,” She explained that right now, the live shows are the only place to hear the new music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, WastedinMemphis said:

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/girl-named-tom-drop-what-a-view-amid-frustration-with-record-label.htm - excerpt

"In a recent interview, with Q 96.5 ahead of a hometown show in Bryan, Ohio, Bekah explained why fans have had to wait so long for their first single. While the band has been writing non-stop, the label has not given the green light on any of the band’s new songs.

"Bekah explained in the interview that the trio is happy to be releasing music on a major record label like Republic Records, a deal that is part of The Voice winners’ prize package. However, she shares that they have been writing songs, but, “we haven’t been able to release them….which has been frustrating…” She continued, “We haven’t released a single since The Voice.”

"She described the deal as “awesome” and that the group is “thankful” for the deal. However, “There are people in New York who listen to our music that we write and they tell us yes it can go, or no it can’t.” And unfortunately, other than the Christmas album they put out last year, “We’ve been getting a lot of nos for the last two years.”

“We are finally so excited to say we are announcing our first single,” she adds announcing the release of “What a View.” “We got a yes!” Bekah added, “We’ve been writing with a lot of people in Nashville, and then travelling to LA to write there too,” She explained that right now, the live shows are the only place to hear the new music.

glad to hear they got a yes to releasing!

image.jpeg.7704c74b08371b873e2bead1ea8a0cf3.jpeg

Screenshot2023-08-26154932.jpg.20c16c16007d941cb81736637716d5ad.jpg

8 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

I'm really interested to see the kind of music they'll be releasing over the coming years. Having this contract is great, but I can't help but wonder if this is what they would like to release or if they have a different vision, but Republic simply doesn't agree. 

Honestly, I would much rather see them have full artistic free reign as some of my fav GNT songs were written without any help from cowriters.

• 2 weeks later...

GNT did a local news interview in connection with a festival they played in Hawaii.  It ends with an acoustic version of What a View  - interesting.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/2023/09/09/season-21-winners-voice-girl-named-tom-talk-hana-hou-music-festival/

As with the EP, I do enjoy the acoustic version more. It reminds me of some of the upbeat songs that they've done before but with a better hook imo. I wonder if this is pretty much how their demo sounded before it was overproduced . . .  I mean, before the producers worked on it with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

GNT did a local news interview in connection with a festival they played in Hawaii.  It ends with an acoustic version of What a View  - interesting.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/video/2023/09/09/season-21-winners-voice-girl-named-tom-talk-hana-hou-music-festival/

As with the EP, I do enjoy the acoustic version more. It reminds me of some of the upbeat songs that they've done before but with a better hook imo. I wonder if this is pretty much how their demo sounded before it was overproduced . . .  I mean, before the producers worked on it with them.

Thanks for that, I'll have a listen to it later, sounds interesting!

They also just announced a Christmas tour. Tickets will go on sale soon, check their site for dates.

So they have their own tour rather than supporting Pentatonix. I wonder what they'll sing, as their Xmas album doesn't hold enough songs for a full show. 

Yeah, my favourite GNT is still easily the acoustic one, mostly even without drums or bass (as those have always been overpowered in the live shows). All of this producing and polishing and making it more 'professional' also strips away some of the things that make GNT special.

What a View has been out for a bit now, I wonder how it's doing for them. I've only checked Spotify, but that shows as just over 20K plays, which is a lot less than I was expecting it to have so far. They have nearly 70K monthly listeners on there, I would've thought a good chunk of those would listen to the song at least once, many maybe a few times. But it seems most people stick with the Helplessly Hoping kind of songs. 

EDIT: Just listened to this acoustic version and I agree. I think in this one I would've preferred Bekah's voice to be a little louder, but at least we get to hear those sweet harmonies. In the official version, Caleb and Josh were moved too far into the background for my taste, more like backup singers to Bekah rather than harmonizing as a trio.

And I love Caleb's guitar playing on this. I prefer this sound to the official one where the acoustic guitar nuance gets lost in the overall band sound.

Edited by Es1234
Listened to the acoustic version
  • Like 1