🌻 Girl Named Tom Fan Thread 🌻

Bk1234

On 12/23/2022 at 12:19 PM, Ottoxxx said:

Nice piece  🙂

My favorite part other than the performance was hearing that they'd be in the studio in January and February, hoping for an album by end of the year.

The timing suggests they might be with Toby and Skylar again. I do think the songwriting on the EP showed improvement but hope the production on the album is more authentic to their style and less slick. Maybe the reaction to One More Christmas will give a clue.

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 7:36 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

Nice piece  🙂

My favorite part other than the performance was hearing that they'd be in the studio in January and February, hoping for an album by end of the year.

The timing suggests they might be with Toby and Skylar again. I do think the songwriting on the EP showed improvement but hope the production on the album is more authentic to their style and less slick. Maybe the reaction to One More Christmas will give a clue.

I agree, can't wait for a new album! I like that they released videos of their original songs in acoustic form, so I suppose they recognise a good chunk of their fans prefer the more simple arrangements where their vocals and harmonies can shine and they seem more authentic. 

If they ever release a live album, I'm sure that'll be my favourite as that's where they truly shine

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Acoustic version of Isn't That What Christmas is For, from the ep, posted about a month ago. Liked the album version but actually prefer this one.

Loved this new cover of Lovesong by the Cure from their TikTok.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 12:15 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

Acoustic version of Isn't That What Christmas is For, from the ep, posted about a month ago. Liked the album version but actually prefer this one.

Loved this new cover of Lovesong by the Cure from their TikTok.

I definitely very much prefer the acoustic versions that they've posted. To me, that's really where they shine, when they keep it smaller and more intimate.

For that cover of the Cure, Caleb actually posted a tutorial on his Instagram as he was using an unusual tuning and only capo'd 5 strings. He explains the steps how he got to this tuning, sounds like it was very much an organic process until he landed on something that he thought sounded cool. 

I hope he'll do more of these, I love seeing their musicality as songwriters at work

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

GNT has announced their tour schedule through May and some of their opening acts, including dates with Bella DeNapoli as opener.  https://talentrecap.com/the-voice-winners-girl-named-tom-announce-tour-guests-including-bella-denapoli/

Full list of dates is on the website.  I get to see them in early May, when they play a good mid-sized venue here. https://www.girlnamedtom.com/events

Hope they got in their studio time and we get to hear some previews during the tour.

55 minutes ago, Hsamid said:

2 seasons later and I still don't think anyone has topped their audition. Nice to see this thread still active, yall are dedicated.

No Knockout or Semis performance last season topped theirs for me

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WastedinMemphis said:

GNT has announced their tour schedule through May and some of their opening acts, including dates with Bella DeNapoli as opener.  https://talentrecap.com/the-voice-winners-girl-named-tom-announce-tour-guests-including-bella-denapoli/

Full list of dates is on the website.  I get to see them in early May, when they play a good mid-sized venue here. https://www.girlnamedtom.com/events

Hope they got in their studio time and we get to hear some previews during the tour.

It's so cool that they're able to tour successfully over a year after their win. They have sustained a fanbase for sure!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FloorWax said:

It's so cool that they're able to tour successfully over a year after their win. They have sustained a fanbase for sure!

This will be their first show here and it looks like they're ~2/3 sold out already. I haven't see any local promo yet. Not bad.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:34 AM, WastedinMemphis said:

Have fun at the concert! I'm seeing them this week. 🙂

I'm sure they'll have some new material. I saw some pictures from their recent show where Bekah was playing the guitar and playing the flute, both of which she hadn't done during last year's tour (with the exception of one Joni tribute). So maybe those are new songs? 

It's great to see they're still selling out lots of shows. And their xmas album reached #1 in Canada too, so there's plenty of fans over there too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Es1234 said:

Have fun at the concert! I'm seeing them this week. 🙂

I'm sure they'll have some new material. I saw some pictures from their recent show where Bekah was playing the guitar and playing the flute, both of which she hadn't done during last year's tour (with the exception of one Joni tribute). So maybe those are new songs? 

It's great to see they're still selling out lots of shows. And their xmas album reached #1 in Canada too, so there's plenty of fans over there too.

I saw a recent instagram video of Bekah playing flute. She seemed pretty proficient. Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing them and where they're headed!

On 3/15/2023 at 7:56 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

I saw a recent instagram video of Bekah playing flute. She seemed pretty proficient. Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing them and where they're headed!

Bekah did play the flute on one song. 

Apart from the originals they performed last year, they had half a dozen new ones to share as well.

And they did a version of the Chain where it was just the 3 of them, each with their own acoustic guitar. Very cool.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:04 PM, Es1234 said:

Bekah did play the flute on one song. 

Apart from the originals they performed last year, they had half a dozen new ones to share as well.

And they did a version of the Chain where it was just the 3 of them, each with their own acoustic guitar. Very cool.

That does sound cool. Glad you enjoyed it!

What did you think of the new material? May have to poke around on youtube a little to see if anyone was recording.

Edited by WastedinMemphis

On 3/18/2023 at 3:39 PM, WastedinMemphis said:

That does sound cool. Glad you enjoyed it!

What did you think of the new material? May have to poke around on youtube a little to see if anyone was recording.

I found their new material relatively diverse. There are some that are a bit more funky, some that are more emotional and one or 2 that feel a bit more like contemporary pop. All of them good and catchy, but I prefer the more emotional ones that really feel like a story in songform rather than a more modern tightly structure pop song. Most of my favourites are originals they performed last year, but I do have 2 new ones now. And they apparently re-recorded Crazy World.

I think they're also diversifying in their use of instruments, which is nice to see and makes their repertoire diverse. I could definitely do with more of Bekah's flute, Josh's harmonica and whatever else they can play.

Vocally Bekah definitely gets more solo time than the boys, though the guys do get their moments too. And Caleb gets some cool guitar solos.

It will be interesting to see which originals make it onto their album. These new ones plus the originals they performed last year would probably be too many.

I did find their bass sometimes too loud this time, especially on Waters. Could have been due to the larger venue and my seat near the front, but it was completely drowning out that chorus.

• 1 month later...

Some new songs from GNT during their recent shows - bit of a different sound.

Ed. After 2-3 listens, I'm really liking these - hope they're the first installment on an album.

Edited by WastedinMemphis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1